Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 21: Talks, Chats, and Confrontations ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 21: Talks, Chats, and Confrontations
 
A/N: I'm going to try and get the rest of these old chapters redone and posted by next Sunday, 2/27/05. Now would be the time to catch up, so you'll be ready for the new chapters when I post them.
 
 
Friday January 1st 2016 6:30 P.M.
 
Continuing from last chapter, Rei and Misato go to Misato's room and have a mother/daughter talk...
 
Misato: Rei, let's talk... (Sits down on her futon)
 
Rei: Sure, mom... (Sits down across from Misato)
 
Misato: (Feeling a little excited) So... tell me about your date? Did you have fun with Kensuke?
 
Rei: Yes. We talked and had lunch together, it was enjoyable...
 
A small smile appears on Rei's face. Misato immediately notices it and feels happy for her daughter... she has taken a big first step in her life...
 
Misato: (Curious) Anything else happen?
 
Rei: (Pauses for a moment, then replies) I told him about a dream that I had...
 
Misato: (Very curious) A dream? Tell me about it...
 
Rei: I was with Kensuke, and we were eating lunch together. There were also two others with us... two children...
 
Misato: Hmm... this sounds interesting. What did the kids look like?
 
Rei: (Slightly blushing) T-They looked like Kensuke and I...
 
Misato pauses for a moment to think about what Rei has just said. Misato thinks to herself... 'She's dreaming about kids already? I know she is becoming more of a woman, but she's a little young to be having that desire for a family. Maybe it has something to do with her being part Yui Ikari... in any case, she is beginning to show her sexual feelings and desires...'
 
Misato: Rei, do you have any... (Tries to think of a good word to use)... yearnings inside, I mean for a family...
 
Rei: I have noticed lately that I am starting to feel different then I did before. In the back of my mind, I have a desire to have a family. The idea feels... nice...
 
Misato: Hmmm... I think I may have an idea why you had that dream. (Rei looks intently at Misato) You are part Yui Ikari, so perhaps you are showing some of her maternal instincts and desires. I never knew Shinji's mom, but I had a glimpse of her during Third Impact, a brief memory. She seemed like a nice, caring woman...
 
Rei: (Nodding with understanding) So... I may be showing these... instincts, since I am now all human and I'm developing into a woman...
 
Misato: (Snapping her fingers) Exactly! You are very mature for your age and I can see that you have the mindset of someone twice your age. Just remember, Rei, that you are still young and inexperienced. Don't let your feelings get carried away... (Takes Rei's hand and holds it) You are approaching where Shinji and the others are now; you are now able to express yourself more like they do. Don't let that carry you away...
 
Rei: I understand. You are concerned for me and you don't want anything to happen to me...
 
Misato: (Smiles) That's what mom's are for...
 
Misato stands up and motions Rei to come over to her. She pulls her daughter into a warm embrace...
 
Misato: (Softly) Take your time with him, okay? There's no need to rush... you don't have to be like Shinji and Asuka or Toji and Hikari. Make your own path with Kensuke...
 
Rei: Okay...
 
Misato and Rei remain in a hug for a short while, then Rei returns to the front room and the game. Misato sighs and sits on her futon...
 
Misato: (To herself) That wasn't too hard- I'm glad that I've talked to all three of my kids now... (Softly chuckles to herself)
 
About an hour later, Shinji pauses the game and heads towards the kitchen...
 
Asuka: Shinji, where are you going?
 
Shinji: Oh... I was feeling a little bit hungry. Did you want to help me make a snack?
 
Asuka: (Happily) Sure!
 
Rei: May I assist?
 
Shinji: Of course! Come on, Rei, you can help me cook up some vegetables and Asuka can make the rice...
 
Asuka: Sounds good to me, I love to cook!
 
Shinji pauses and looks at Asuka. He walks over to her and whispers in her ear...
 
Shinji: (Softly with mock sarcasm) Since when?
 
Asuka: Since... (Playfully grabs Shinji's arm) You're such a kidder! You know I love to cook! I wish someone could teach me how to make some more dishes. (Places an arm around Shinji's waist)
 
Shinji: (Blushing) Sure, Asuka.
 
Rei begins to think to herself after witnessing the exchange between Shinji and Asuka... 'Something as simple as whispering and holding each other has made them both feel good. I wonder...'
 
Shinji: Rei?
 
Rei: (Returning to reality) Yes, Shinji?
 
Shinji: Can you get some vegetables from the fridge? I'm gonna get out the knife and the cutting board.
 
Rei: Okay...
 
The kids make a snack for themselves and enjoy the rest of the evening together. The next morning, Asuka goes over by Hikari's house...
 
Saturday January 2nd
 
Asuka rings the doorbell and waits patiently for someone to open the door. After about fifteen seconds, Hikari's younger sister opens the door and peers outside.
 
Nozumi: Are you Asuka?
 
Asuka: That's right! Where's your sister?
 
Nozumi: She's in her room. Come in!
 
Asuka walks inside and takes off her shoes. She follows Nozumi over to Hikari's room.
 
Hikari: Hey Asuka!
 
Asuka: Hi!
 
Kodoma: (Yelling from the kitchen) Nozumi, come and give me a hand in the kitchen!
 
Nozumi: On my way! (Turns and looks at Asuka) Nice to meet you! (Bows, then heads to the kitchen)
 
Asuka: She seems like a nice kid.
 
Hikari: Yeah, she is. Too bad the other one isn't like that...
 
Kodoma: (Yelling from the kitchen) I heard that!
 
Hikari gently pushes Asuka into her room and closes the door.
 
Hikari: Whew, that was close! I'm not in the mood to deal with her!
 
Asuka: I see you got them to cook something- it's about damn time! You always make everything here; it's about time they helped you out.
 
Hikari: You're right.
 
Asuka's curiosity about what happened yesterday gets the best of her and cannot stop herself from asking Hikari a question.
 
Asuka: Soooo... what happened on your little walk home with Toji?
 
Hikari: (Blushing) Actually, it was a long walk home... we went down the street and over to that one park by the pond. We talked and... (Blushes even more)... hugged for a while...
 
Asuka: I see...
 
Hikari: He's a very nice guy... he does have a compassionate side. I don't know why you don't get along with him better.
 
Asuka: (Exasperated) I try, I try, but he simply rubs me the wrong way...
 
Hikari: (Suddenly has a thought) What about you and Shinji? Anything happen after we left?
 
Asuka: (To herself) Should I tell her? Oh, what the hell, it couldn't hurt... (Out loud) Yeah...
 
Hikari: (Pressing for more information) Well?
 
Asuka: Shinji brushed my hair and...
 
Hikari: And?
 
Asuka: I taught him a lesson. (Folds her arms across her chest)
 
Hikari: (Confused) What do you mean?
 
Asuka: (With a grin on her face) Let's just say that I "toughened" Shinji up...
 
Hikari: How?
 
Asuka goes on to relate the whole incident to Hikari. After that, Hikari just stares at Asuka...
 
Hikari: So, you actually dropped your bra on his lap.
 
Asuka: (Matter of factly) Yup! And it just wasn't any bra. I happened to have my white lace bra on...
 
Hikari: (Getting more shocked with every question) You dropped lingerie in his lap?
 
Asuka: (Nods) I really got him worked up and red faced as I undid it while still keeping my shirt on. You really should have seen his expression, it was just so... priceless!
 
Hikari: (In a flustered voice) Asuka, have you no shame? Undressing right in front of a boy! (Shakes her head)
 
Asuka: Well, how will you do that around that jock boyfriend of yours?
 
Hikari: (Turning red) I... I... I don't, I won't...
 
Asuka: Don't give me that load of bull Hikari! You love getting Toji in a knot just as much as I do with Shinji, admit it!
 
All Hikari could do is shake her head no and hide her red face with her hands. Then slowly she peeks out with a smile at her friend and mutters "Maybe!" then ducks behind her hands again.
 
Asuka begins to laugh at Hikari's reaction and then playfully points at her...
 
Asuka: Oh, come on, Hikari... don't go into "class rep" mode. I know you have another side to you... I saw it yesterday when we ate breakfast- you enjoyed spending the night with him, didn't you?
 
Hikari can only slowly nod her head in response to Asuka's question. She then lowers her hands and points at Asuka...
 
Hikari: You... you are such a bad influence on me!
 
Asuka: (Smiling) I know. (Nudges Hikari) But what would you do without me? You probably would never have gotten with the jock if it weren't for my guidance and "bad influence"...
 
Hikari: I suppose... but you have two sides as well. I helped you show the other side of your personality to Shinji and others... no one would have guessed three months ago that you'd be involved with Shinji like this...
 
Asuka: (Sighs) I guess you're right...
 
Hikari: (With a smile) Except for me!
 
Asuka: What do you mean by that?
 
Hikari: Come on, Asuka, I knew you liked him. You were just too proud to admit that the "mighty" Asuka Langley Soryu had feelings for Shinji...
 
Asuka: (Screaming) I did not! How could you say that I liked him back when he was a total baka hentai?
 
Hikari: (Smiles because of the role reversal that has just happened) Now who's in denial?
 
Asuka: Why you... (Grabs a pillow off of Hikari's bed and smacks Hikari with it)
 
Hikari: (Grabbing the other pillow off of her bed) You're not going to get away that easily!
 
After a brief but intense pillow fight, Asuka and Hikari sit on the bed, out of breath. Asuka looks down at her lap...
 
Asuka: (Softly) Maybe you're right... but I'm glad that we both finally admitted our feelings. (Stares intently at the ring on her finger)
 
Hikari: (Noticing where Asuka is looking) I wish I had one of those...
 
Asuka: (Catching a little of what Hikari said) Huh?
 
Hikari: (Blushing and turning away) Oh, nothing...
 
Asuka: Look, Hikari, you just need to be more open about your feelings. Tell him what you feel inside. I'll show you a little "trick" that may help you out...
 
Hikari: (Curious) What trick?
 
Asuka: Watch, listen, and learn...
 
After a little demonstration by Asuka, Hikari understands what she did.
 
Asuka: It's up to you if you want to try that- he may not react as "civilized" as Shinji did...
 
Hikari: (Getting angry) And what do you mean by that?
 
Asuka: Well, he is one of the stooges, yah know...
 
Hikari: (Firmly) Look, Asuka, he's matured a bit since we started going out. If he was like before, he would be looking around at other women and doing other perverted stuff. He's not, so give him a break...
 
Asuka: (Sighs) All right, fine. You need to get him to defend you as vigorously as you defend him. I can tell you've fallen for this guy.
 
Hikari: (Blushing) Yeah, I have...
 
There are a few moments of uncomfortable silence before Asuka speaks out, changing the subject.
 
Asuka: Why don't we play some video games? I want a rematch!
 
Hikari: (Enthusiastically) You're on!
 
Hikari and Asuka spend the remainder of the afternoon talking and playing video games together. Asuka heads home and passes by Misato in the hallway of the apartment. She is running out of the apartment...
 
Asuka: Hey, what's the hurry?
 
Misato: (In a very serious tone) I'll tell you about it later... (Heads out of the apartment)
 
Asuka: (To herself) What was that all about?
 
Asuka heads to the kitchen to get a snack for herself, then watches some TV. A little while later, Shinji quietly sneaks up behind her and begins to massage her shoulders...
 
Asuka: (Jumping slightly at being touched) Who's there?
 
Shinji: Your personal masseuse. (Chuckles)
 
Asuka turns around and smiles at Shinji. He continues to massage her shoulders, careful this time not to cause her any discomfort.
 
Asuka: I'm glad you're watching what you're doing; I'm not doing that bra trick again!
 
Shinji: (To himself) DAMN! (Out loud) That's okay, Asuka... I don't need any more lessons.
 
Asuka: Good. (Pauses for a moment, then grabs his hands) Shinji, what did you do while I was gone?
 
Shinji: I spent some time with Rei- we went shopping together. Misato said she had to go somewhere, so I volunteered to take her shopping.
 
Asuka: Yeah, I figured that. I saw Misato rush out of the door when I came in. I wonder why she was in such a hurry. She looked and sounded so serious... I hope nothing's wrong.
 
Shinji: Maybe we should ask her what's going on. I have this feeling... that something is going on. I can't say what it is; it's just a gut feeling.
 
Shinji gently removes his hands from Asuka's and sits down next to her. She places a kiss on his cheek and then leans on him...
 
Asuka: You may be right.
 
Shinji wraps an arm around Asuka and pulls her closer. They sit on the couch and relax, enjoy some quality pre-Second Impact TV shows. Meanwhile, down at NERV headquarters, a briefing is in progress.
 
Section-2 Agent: (Handing papers to Gendo) This is what I saw, you told me to inform you about any activities the 1st Child was engaged in.
 
Gendo: (Skimming the contents of the papers) That is correct. Continue your watch. Dismissed.
 
The agent walks out of the room, leaving Gendo alone with Kozo in the conference room.
 
Gendo: It seems like this situation with Rei is becoming more serious.
 
Kozo: Looks to me like she is acting like a totally normal girl for her age.
 
Gendo: She has changed since the attack on headquarters... (Folds his hands) This could impact our plans.
 
Kozo: I agree but don't get too hasty; she deserves to live out a life of a normal girl.
 
Gendo: Perhaps.
 
Gendo falls silent as he begins to think of a way to get the pilots and the personnel to follow his plan. Kozo looks at Gendo and begins to worry about this plan and the safety of the pilots. He knows how far Gendo will go for something he wants and how he won't stop until he gets what he wants. Kozo can only try and divert the plan to help out the pilots...
 
Kozo: Maybe we should tell them why we're doing this. I'm sure they're wondering what's going on- I know that some of personnel have been wondering the same thing. Doctor Ibuki in particular is still very curious about what's going on.
 
Gendo: I disagree. It is possible that they would refuse to help us and then we would be unprepared for when SEELE attacks or tries to take over governments and other entities. They may not share our desire to stop SEELE.
 
Kozo: (Raising his voice slightly) I think they WOULD want to, after what they did to the Eva's and the base... especially Soryu. The real question is, would they be as driven as you are?
 
Gendo is silent after hearing Kozo's last statement. He is deep in thought over what to do next and Kozo takes it as a "no" answer.
 
Kozo: If they were to find out...
 
Misato: (Barging her way into the room) Find out what, Commander? (Walks up to the table and slams her fist down) (Loudly) What are you two up to? Why are we still running tests and battle simulations? Aren't all the angels' dead?
 
Gendo: Correct.
 
Misato: (Yelling) Then why are the children still performing sync tests? And why are the Eva's being rebuilt? Why?
 
Kozo and Gendo are silent for a moment. Kozo is about to speak when Misato continues yelling.
 
Misato: I know that you two are training the pilots for some kind of mission... what are we going against? I need to know!
 
Kozo looks at Gendo for a moment and receives a nod. He then proceeds to explain some of what is going on...
 
Kozo: Sit down. There is a lot to explain. I see you have gotten some information already. Since you are third in command and in charge of the pilots, I believe you should know whom we're going against.
 
Misato sits down in a chair and stares at Kozo. She thinks to herself 'Let's see what he says. I do know about some of the stuff that is going on around here, will he lie or tell me the truth?'
 
Misato: Go ahead.
 
Kozo: SEELE.
 
Misato: I thought that they were apprehended and put in jail or killed.
 
Gendo: The core members disappeared and have since reconvened somewhere else. The documents that were released show that they were behind the attempt at 3rd Impact and assault on headquarters.
 
Misato: (To herself) That's not entirely true... I know that Commander Ikari had a part in this- even if it was trying to make a 3rd Impact of his own. But what is he after now? He can't try it again, so there must be something else that he wants very badly. (Out loud) Have you found where they went?
 
Kozo: No. That has been the job of Lieutenants Shigeru and Makoto- to locate where SEELE has fled to. We've had limited success in tracking them down and we still don't know where their main base is located.
 
Misato: Who would want to hide international war criminals like that?
 
Kozo: They must have had contacts somewhere- big business and the military are two possibilities. We do know that they are up to something. (Passes a document to Misato)
 
Misato quickly skims the document and is horrified. A Section-2 agent was murdered outside of the city. He was shot several times...
 
Misato: When did this happen? I didn't see anything about this on the news... that's horrible!
 
Gendo: Yesterday afternoon. He was heading home and was intercepted. It appears that SEELE is getting more aggressive by the day. This is all being kept "under wraps" for security reasons.
 
Kozo: It's our theory that SEELE wants to get at the pilots and the information stored in the MAGI in an attempt to find out what we are up to. That is why the pilots are under 24-hour watch by Section-2.
 
Misato: (Loudly) Why wasn't I notified about this? I'm the guardian of three of them for God's sake... I have a right to know!
 
Gendo: Due to this increase in violence, I am assigning our agents to watch you and the other key personnel. We cannot afford to lose anyone at this point in time.
 
Misato thinks to herself... 'Now he'll be watching me, or at least my apartment. This certainly makes things more complicated and difficult. At least the kids should be safe- should I tell them or not?'
 
Kozo: (Noticing the blank look on Misato's face) Something wrong, Colonel?
 
Misato: (Coming out of her trance) Sorry, I was just thinking to myself. Since we can't afford to loose anyone, I request that I have access to more powerful weapons for my own personal protection and that of the children.
 
Kozo pauses for a moment, considering her request. He is about to approve it when Gendo speaks...
 
Gendo: Agreed. The permit will be filed today. The armory is at your disposal.
 
Misato: Thank you, sir. (Stands up) I'm going to go now- but I want to know what's going on around here, especially is it concerns our mission, the pilots, or myself in any way!
 
Kozo nods, then Misato walks out of the room and closes the door. Kozo sighs and then leans over the table...
 
To see a picture of this scene, go to picture 95 on page 12 of my website...
 
Kozo: How did she get all of that information?
 
Gendo: It appears that she or someone working for her can access parts of the MAGI systems without our knowledge. I do not believe, however, that she knows very much. The information she presented about our operation was elementary at best.
 
Kozo: That may be, but she may be able to get more information. I believe that we should just tell her what she needs to know, and she'll stop prying. It could be dangerous to have her knowing too much- especially if SEELE somehow got their hands on her. (Concerned) We would be in real trouble!
 
Gendo: (Betraying no emotion) Agreed. How is the development of the remaining parts of the SEELE Eva's coming along?
 
Kozo: We will be able to make two more. However, we only have funding for one at the moment. I do not think we will need both.
 
Gendo: If events accelerate, we will need that last one, for self-defense of the city. I have already made plans in case that contingency arises.
 
Kozo: I also think we should hire more Section 2 officers, just in case. Our defenses need to be tightened.
 
Gendo pushes a button under the table, making a computer screen rise out of the table. He begins to input commands by pushing on the screen...
 
Gendo: The plan must be moved forward...
 
Kozo and Gendo start to work on the next phase of the plan, plotting and planning strategy. Misato has in the meanwhile made her way down to the armory and is looking at the selection of different weapons...
 
Armory Officer: Can I help you, Colonel?
 
Misato: I'm just looking around for something for personal protection- do you have any recommendations?
 
The officer walks over to other side of the armory- a rectangular shaped room with two metal counters in the front. Weapons of all sizes and makes line the walls behind the counters.
 
Armory Officer: (Placing a silver colored Desert Eagle on the counter) How about this?
 
Misato picks up the weapon and starts to test its weight in her hands. It feels a little heavy but sturdy...
 
Armory Officer: That's a 50 caliber Desert Eagle- that model was just released. It only has a seven shot clip, but it's very powerful.
 
Misato: Can I have some ammo? I want to try this out on the shooting range.
 
Armory Officer: Sure. (Reaches under the counter and places two clips into Misato's hands) Let me know what you think.
 
Misato takes the gun and walks out of the room and heads down the hallway to the shooting range. She puts on a pair of earmuffs, loads a clip into the gun, and starts shoot at the target. The recoil from the gun interferes with her aim with the first few shots, but is soon corrected...
 
Misato: (To herself) Not bad... but I think I need a better target to shoot at.
 
Misato loads the second clip into the gun and shoots, hitting the bulls' eyes on the target with ease. She then returns to the armory and speaks to the officer...
 
Armory Officer: Well, what do you think?
 
Misato: I'll take it! (Sweetly) Give me some clips and then I have a favor to ask you...
 
Armory Officer: (Nervously) Uh, sure.
 
Misato reaches into her pocket and pulls out a small data chip, then hands it to the officer. He looks at it curiously...
 
Armory Officer: What do you want me to do with this?
 
Misato: I want you to make the targets in the shooting range look like the people on the chip, and I want it done before Monday afternoon. Can you do that?
 
Armory Officer: No problem, Colonel. (Reaches under the counter and gets a couple more clips for the gun, then hands them to Misato) I'll make sure everything is set for Monday.
 
Misato: (Nods) Thanks.
 
She places the gun and clips into her purse, then walks away, leaving the officer alone. He looks at the chip and wonders, 'Why would she want me to change the targets? Hmmm...'
 
Misato heads back through NERV headquarters and then back home. The whole time her mind is filled with many different thoughts, such as the safety of the children, SEELE, and what happened to that Section-2 agent. 'We're heading towards another war and this time it's people, the 18th angel, that we're up against. I'd hate to see what SEELE could do to this world if they came back to power- they must be stopped!'
 
Rei is eating in the kitchen when Misato comes in, feeling very tired and worried. She immediately notices the look on Misato's face...
 
Rei: (Concerned) Are you okay, mom?
 
Misato: (Sighs) I guess. (Looks over at the front room and notices Asuka and Shinji sitting together on the couch, watching TV together) Asuka, Shinji, come over here, please...
 
Both and Asuka and Shinji get up and head over to the kitchen...
 
Asuka: What is it? We were watching TV...
 
Misato: (With a hint of worry in her voice) This is important- I want you to call Hikari, Toji, and Kensuke and invite them over for lunch tomorrow. There is something that you guys should know about.
 
Shinji: What is it?
 
Misato: I'll tell you tomorrow... (Yawns) I'm tired and I've had a long day. (Pulls out some money from her purse) Order what you want for dinner- just save me some.
 
Misato walks off and heads into her room, barely managing to change into her new lavender nightgown before falling asleep. Asuka, Shinji, and Rei order some dinner and then talk amongst themselves as they wait for it to arrive. All three are concerned about Misato and the request that she made... something is very wrong. Tomorrow cannot come too soon...
 
To be continued in Chapter 22: The Sleepover