Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 33: The Morning After ( Chapter 38 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 33: The Morning After
 
4/7/2006- Minor editing on the story, some sentence changes in the first page of the story… please reread the Asuka/Shinji opening part again to catch the differences. Thanks to Danny171984 for the preread and error catching here…
 
The remaining hours of the night pass by slowly at NERV… the after effects of the recent events are still on everyone's mind. Aoba ends up spending the night with Maya… she asked him to stay with her until she fell asleep… but he ends up passing out as well. Pen-Pen spends the night in the infirmary, as per Misato's request. The doctor's are amazed that he's still alive… especially if half the stories they've heard about a drinking penguin are true.
 
 
Asuka slowly awakens from a very pleasant dream that she had just had. `Mmm… Shin-chan…' Is the thought running through her mind as her eyes open. Shinji's hair fills her vision…
 
Asuka: (Softly) You were so… bold last night, Shin-chan… mmm…
 
Asuka moans aloud and realizes that Shinji is touching her… `He can't get enough of me, even in his sleep.' Asuka mentally debates what to do as Shinji's hand continues to slowly massage her bra-clad breast… she hears him mumbling to himself in his sleep… `Asuka… you're so soft…'
 
Asuka: Naughty boy… (Smiles) As much as I like this… Misato could walk in at any moment… and I don't feel like arguing with her.
 
Asuka gently nudges Shinji and whispers into his ear.
 
Asuka: Shinji… Shinji… wake up…
 
Shinji: (Groggily) I don't wanna…
 
Asuka tries a different tactic. “Do you want Misato to walk in on us? The first thing that she'd see is your hand massaging my breast… and both of us without any shirts on…”
 
Shinji's eyes shoot wide open and he immediately removes the offending hand from her body. Asuka giggles and reaches for her shirt…
 
Shinji: That was bad, Asuka…
 
Asuka: Hey, I'm not the one who was… (Smiles)… being frisky in my sleep. At least I know you can handle seeing me in lingerie now…
 
Shinji blushes and takes another look at her pink lace bra before Asuka puts her shirt back on. She places a kiss on his cheek and passes her silent boyfriend his shirt. “Come on, get your shirt back on…”
 
Shinji quickly follows her request… he had just heard what sounded like people talking in the next room…
 
 
Over in the kitchen, a groggy Misato and Kaji talk as they make some coffee…
 
Misato: I wonder who paged me at this hour? Someone's supposed to visit us in five minutes…
 
Kaji: No idea, my love. (Gently rubs her shoulders with his hands) You feeling better this morning?
 
Misato: A little…
 
Misato stops talking as soon as she hears the sound of someone knocking on the front door. “I'll see who it is…”
 
Misato walks over to the front door and peers through the peephole. She immediately recognizes the man on the other side of the door and presses the open button.
 
Misato: Come on in…
 
A tall, brown-hair man with glasses enters the apartment. He glances around the apartment for a moment before speaking.
 
Brown-Haired Man: Thank you for letting me stop by on such short notice.
 
Misato: Oh, it's no problem. I haven't seen you in a while… they're keeping you busy down in the technical division aren't they?
 
Brown-Haired Man: They sure are. The reason why I stopped by was to see my son… I was really worried when I heard about those explosions…
 
Kaji: (Walking into the room) I thought that Misato here was gone… and she thought that the kids and I were gone…
 
There's a moment of silence as the three adults think about that idea… and realize how lucky they are to have their loved ones still with them. Misato speaks first and breaks the silence…
 
Misato: Well, I bet you wanna see your son… follow me…
 
Kaji notices a smirk on Misato's face… and knows that she's up to something. `I'll bet she's gonna embarrass the two of them… poor kids…'
 
 
Misato opens the door to the room where Kensuke and Rei spent the night and peeks inside. She silently motions at the door and then enters the room.
 
Misato: (Softly) I'll talk to you on your way out…
 
Misato leaves the room with a smile, knowing full well what's going to happen next. Kaji chides her for being a “typical mom- embarrassing her daughter and her boyfriend…”
 
 
 
Kensuke hears a familiar voice calling out to him in his sleep. “Kensuke… Kensuke… wake up…”
 
Kensuke ignores the voice and snuggles his head against Rei's. `How cute…' Is the thought running through Kensuke's father's mind as he silently looks at his son… and the woman next to him. `This must be Rei… he's picked a real looker…'
 
Kensuke's dad: (Clears his throat) On your feet, soldier!
 
With that, Kensuke immediately sits up and salutes. “Kensuke Aida, reporting for duty, sir!”
 
Kensuke's dad: (Chuckles) I'm glad that you still remember your training… I was hoping that you didn't forget… because of your new “situation”…
 
Kensuke: (Rubs his eyes) Dad? What are you doing here?
 
Kensuke's dad: I wanted to see how you were doing… I heard about what happened up on the surface…
 
Kensuke: (Reaches for his glasses and puts them on) Yeah… that was kinda scary…
 
Rei rolls back and forth on the bed, still unaware of what's going on around her.
 
Kensuke's dad: (Noticing what Rei is doing) Is she okay?
 
Kensuke: (Sighs) Yeah… I'm trying to help her through a tough time right now…
 
Kensuke's dad: (Impressed by his mature answer) That's nice of you… I knew this girl was special to you… ever since you started collecting those pictures…
 
Rei: (Sitting up on the bed and looking at Kensuke) What pictures, Ken-kun?
 
Kensuke: (Begins to sweat) Umm…
 
Kensuke's dad: (Laughs aloud) You didn't tell her about the pictures… (Pauses for a moment while Rei reaches for her new glasses) Young lady, you wouldn't believe how many pictures my son has of you on the walls of his room… he took down almost all of his military posters just to make room for his “collection”…
 
Kensuke: (Blushes) Gee, thanks for telling her…
 
Rei: I am… flattered that you would do something like that, Kensuke. (Leans on Kensuke)
 
Kensuke's dad: You see, she didn't mind at all. (Extends his hand out to Rei) Nice to meet you… I'm Kensuke's father, Ryu Aida.
 
Rei: (Shakes Ryu's hand) Nice to meet you. I am Rei Ayanami. Kensuke has mentioned that his interest in military information came from you.
 
Ryu: He's learned a few things from me… but my boy here had really gotten into it on his own… and then he suddenly lost interest. He suddenly had a new “obsession”…
 
Rei blushes and then looks over at Kensuke and sees that he's blushing as well. She places a kiss on his cheek and leans against his shoulder.
 
Rei: He has changed my life as well… I enjoy being with him…
 
Kensuke: (Softly) Rei…
 
Ryu smiles as he observes the tender moment between his son and his girlfriend. A beep is heard a moment later and Ryu looks down at his watch.
 
Ryu: I've gotta get back to work… I'll stop by and see you two again soon… (Looks at Rei) It was nice to finally meet you… I know my son is in good hands…
 
Rei: (Blushes slightly) Yes… yes he is. It was nice to meet you as well.
 
Ryu nods his head and then leaves the room. He talks briefly with Misato before returning to his duties… and is impressed with his son and his new girlfriend. `I'm glad he finally got into something other then weaponry and ships…'
 
 
Back in Misato's new apartment, Misato and Kaji are finishing off their breakfast when there's a knock on the front door.
 
Misato: I wonder who's there now… (Sighs)
 
Kaji: I think I can make a guess…
 
Misato decides to see for herself and walks over to the front door. Peeking through the peephole, she notices another two familiar faces on the other side. `Looks like another family reunion is about to happen…'
 
Misato: (Opening the door) Come on in…
 
Two men walk into the apartment. Both are of average height and weight. One is a balding man and the other has dark hair. They bow their heads slightly and then look at Misato.
 
Dark-Haired Man: Thank you…
 
Balding Man: (Walks in and looks around) Looks like you got one of the nicer apartments they've got down here…
 
Misato: Yeah, it's not bad at all. I bet you're here to see your kids, right?
 
Dark-Haired Man: Yeah…
 
Misato: Before we do that, let me introduce you to my… (Blushes)… future husband, Ryoji Kaji.
 
Kaji: (Peeking his head out of the kitchen) Someone call my name?
 
Misato: (Nods her head) Come in here for a second…
 
Kaji walks into the room and stands next to Misato.
 
Misato: I'm not sure if you met him before… but here he is.
 
Kaji reaches out and shakes the two men's hands.
 
Balding Man: My name is Teruo Horaki. I think I've seen you around NERV before, but I've never actually met you. My daughter mentioned seeing you before when she visited the apartment…
 
Dark-Haired Man: Same here… it's nice to meet yah… I'm Takeo Suzuhara.
 
As the four adults exchange small talk, Shinji and Asuka make their way out to the front room, all the while wondering about the voices that they were hearing. They sit down on the couch and relax… and wonder who the other two people are that Misato and Kaji are talking to…
 
Misato: (Noticing Shinji and Asuka out of the corner of her eye) It seems like two of my “kids” are awake…
 
The two fathers turn and look at the couple, who appear to be quite bored at the moment.
 
Takeo: You must be the famous Asuka Soryu… my son has mentioned your name quite a bit… (Chuckles)
 
Asuka turns her head and looks at the man… and instantly knows it must be Toji's father. The hair and the face are almost identical to his sons'…
 
Asuka: I'm sure he has… (Folds her arms across her chest) He's still a jerk sometimes… but at least he's improving…
 
Takeo just shakes his head, knowing that Asuka is right about his son… he has noticed the change in Toji's behavior recently as well.
 
Teruo: (Looking at Shinji) And you must be Shinji Ikari… I've seen footage of your EVA in action and I'm quite impressed…
 
Shinji: T-thank you…
 
 
Over in their bedroom, Hikari and Toji are talking to each other and are growing increasing curious about all of the talking that appears to be going on over in the other room. They exchange a glance and decide to investigate. Toji opens the door and both him and Hikari walk towards the front room… and stop dead in their tracks when they reach the entrance to the room.
 
Toji: (Surprised) D-d-dad…
 
Hikari: (Nervously) Father?
 
Takeo looks at his son and notices that he has no shirt on. `Looks like he may have been doing something with this girl Hikari. I know my wife would've definitely approved of him going out with her…' Hikari's father, however, has a different reaction…
 
Teruo: (Sternly) What's the meaning of this, young lady? I knew you were going out with him… but I never expected…
 
Hikari: (Cuts her father off before he can say more) Father… it's not like that… (Blushes)
 
Asuka and Shinji exchange glances and discreetly leave the room and head over to the kitchen, where Kaji has already made his escape a few moments ago. Misato sighs and continues to listen to the argument…
 
Misato: If I can interrupt… I've known these two for a while… and I think you can trust them. I'm more worried about my kids in that regard…
 
Teruo: (Reluctantly) Well… if you say so…
 
Takeo: (Walks over to his son and places a hand on his shoulder) Don't lose this girl, I know your mom would be proud of yah…
 
All an embarrassed Toji can mutter is “Dad”…
 
Misato: Don't worry, I'll keep an eye on these two…
 
Teruo: (Thinks about Misato's comment for a moment) Well…
 
 
Over in the kitchen, Shinji peeks his head out to look at what's going on in the front room. He notices the heated discussion between the five people and quickly darts his head back…
 
Asuka: (Noticing Shinji's reaction) That bad, huh?
 
Shinji: Maybe…
 
Kaji: (Sighs) It wasn't like this when Kensuke's father stopped by earlier…
 
Shinji: His dad was here?
 
Kaji: Yep… and judging by the smile on his face when he left… I think he liked seeing his son with Rei…
 
Asuka: (Nudging Shinji) Well, we know that Shinji's dad's not gonna pull a surprise visit on us, right Shinji?
 
Shinji: Well, that's true… (Chuckles)
 
Voice in the front room: Am I interrupting anything?
 
Shinji suddenly stood ram-rod straight while Misato and Kaji suddenly were a lot more attentive.
 
Misato: Not at all sir.
 
Asuka: (Shocked) SHEISSE! What the hell?
 
Asuka and Kaji walk out of the kitchen and into the front room. Asuka cannot believe it... there in the doorway is Gendo Ikari.
 
Kaji: Ah right on time... I have the information you requested.
 
He fumbles around in his pocket before handing the Supreme NERV commander a small package.
 
Gendo just looks around the room, but before he leaves he casts a glance at Shinji, who is standing in the entranceway between the kitchen and front room. However, instead of saying anything, the Commander leaves the room.
 
Asuka: (Rounds on Kaji) You could have warned us that he was coming here!
 
Kaji: Sorry, sorry! It kind of slipped my mind.
 
Misato: Kaji...
 
Kaji: Yes?
 
Misato: Where is the package that Kensuke's father left?
 
Kaji: Oh it's right.... AH DAMN!
 
Shinji: What?
 
Kaji: I gave him the wrong package.
 
Asuka: What was in the one you did give him?
 
Kaji shrugs and wonders about it as a very annoyed NERV Commander stalks down the hallway.
 
Gendo: I have no need for these hentai games…
 
 
 
Back in the front room, conversation is slow to resume… the sudden appearance of Gendo had thrown everyone for a loop.
 
Teruo: I think it's time to get back to work. (Looks at Toji) I'll stop by later and we'll go see your sister, okay?
 
Toji: Sure.
 
Takeo: I guess I should be going as well. (Gives Hikari a hug) Be a good girl, okay?
 
Hikari: (Softly) Of course, father…
 
Teruo: (Waves at Toji and Hikari) See you two later!
 
With that, the two fathers leave the room and return to work… all the while thinking about their respective kids and their current situation.
 
 
 
Back in the apartment, Kensuke and Rei emerge from their bedroom and walk into the front room… and wonder why there is total silence.
 
Kensuke: Umm… what just happened?
 
Kaji: It's a long story…
 
Misato: Why don't we eat breakfast… and I can bring you guys up to date on our new orders… (Looks at Shinji) We could certainly use a good breakfast…
 
Asuka: (Follows Misato's lead) (In her “Cute” voice) Please, Shin-chan?
 
Shinji: (Slightly annoyed) Geez… I'm not the only one who can cook, you know…
 
Hikari: (Speaks up on Shinji's behalf) I'll help out… (Looks at Toji and Kensuke) You two need to learn how to cook and be more like Shinji here… and you too, Asuka…
 
Asuka: (Defensively) Hey! I've been helping Shinji recently… I'm learning…
 
Hikari and Shinji head into the kitchen, followed by Asuka… who decides to help out after all. Misato has Toji and Kensuke set up the table for breakfast and do some light moving of furniture while breakfast is cooking. After breakfast is done and out on the table, Misato does a brief summary of what NERV is going to do now as the rest of the teens eat. They learn about their new assignments and ask her a few questions before Misato excuses herself from the table.
 
Misato: I'll be back in a little while… I have to go to a meeting…
 
Kaji: (Stands up) Me too. (Nods at the couch) There are three catalogues over on the couch… you guys look through them while Misato and I are gone…
 
The kids say “goodbye” to Kaji and Misato as they leave the room. Rei walks over to the couch and notices a fourth catalogue… one that definitely looks “different” from the others…
 
Rei: Who is Victoria and why does she have a catalogue of secrets?
 
Kensuke: (Looking over Rei's shoulder at the catalogue) What I... OH MY....
 
Whatever he was about to say was cut off as he suddenly falls over after having pictured Rei in the so called outfit in the picture.
 
Hikari pulls the catalogue out of Rei's hands and looks at it.
 
Hikari: Toji... why'd your father leave this here?
 
Toji: Huh?
 
This was when Hikari showed him his fathers name and address on the back of the catalogue… but that was right below a very revealing picture that drew all of his interest.
 
Asuka: (Looking at the catalogue back cover over Hikari's shoulder) SHEISSE! She doesn't have any more secrets left!
 
Toji: Let me see!
 
A loud thwack is heard as Toji's face is introduced to the floor.
 
Hikari: Hentai....
 
Rei takes the catalogue out of Asuka's hands and after thumbing through it, finds something interesting.
 
Rei: Ken-kun, how do you think I'd look in this?
 
Kensuke: In what... OH MY...
 
The whole room looks at the unconscious form of Kensuke.
 
Shinji: (Concerned for his friend) Should we get him a towel or something? I didn't think the body had that much blood in it.
 
Asuka: Just what did you show him?
 
She takes the catalog and looks at… her eyes grow wider with each passing moment.
 
Asuka: SHEISSE! MEIN GOTT!
 
Kensuke: Ohhh... pretty.... hehehehe…
 
Toji: (Getting up off of the floor) I think he's lost it.
 
Shinji begins to worry and asks the question he's not sure he wants to know the answer to.
 
Shinji: So um... what'd she show him?
 
Asuka: (Muttering) Mein gott... I could never wear that...
 
Hikari: What?
 
Hikari takes the catalogue and looks at the picture in question… and soon turns a very bright red from blushing.
 
Kensuke: Hehehe pretty... ah... oh Rei-chan...
 
Shinji looks at his friend who is a drooling, bleeding mess on the floor.
 
Shinji: Um... is he going to be all right?
 
Toji: (Looks down at Kensuke) I dunno… he's pretty out of it…
 
Asuka: (Takes the catalogue from Hikari and grabs the regular women's clothes catalogue from the couch) Follow me girls… let the “Three Stooges” have a chance to pick out their clothes in peace…
 
Shinji: But, Asuka…
 
As the door to his room closes, separating him from her, Shinji looks dejected and can only wonder why she left him like that.
 
Shinji: But... what'd I do?
 
Hearing the door close, Toji looks at Shinji, then at the still catatonic Kensuke and grins. He quickly looks at the two remaining catalogues and finds what he's looking for. Slipping it under his shirt, he quietly walks away and heads into his room. When he gets inside, Shinji can swear that he hears laughter coming from the room.
 
Shinji: What was that all about?
 
Looking at his friend he can only sigh, and then begin preparations for lunch hoping that Asuka is not mad at him. As Shinji makes lunch, Kensuke slowly recovers and crawls on the couch. `I swear if I ever saw her in something like that I'd…' After taking a few deep breathes, Kensuke decides to try and relax… his mind drifts into thoughts about other things… like how his dad found him in bed sleeping next to Rei.
 
Kensuke: Man that was embarrassing...
 
Shinji: You say something Kensuke?
 
Over in Asuka's room, the three girls are sitting on the bed and looking at the two catalogues of clothing and talking amongst themselves.
 
Asuka: Let's worry about the regular clothes later and look through this Victoria's Secret catalogue… I'm sure there's something nice in here that we can pick up for ourselves. I for one don't wanna be using regular bras all the time… a woman has gotta feel sexy sometimes, right?
 
Hikari: (Blushes) I guess you're right…
 
Rei: I also agree… it is part of being a woman, right? (Places a hand on her heart) Part of being human…
 
Asuka: I can see that Rei's starting to pick up on that. Rei, if you have any questions, just ask me… you don't have to go to Misato for everything…
 
Rei: (Smiles appreciatively) Thank you. (Pauses to think about Asuka's statement a moment ago) Do you intend to show my brother your choices from this magazine?
 
Asuka: (Slightly flustered) Umm… well…
 
Hikari looks at Asuka and can tell by her reaction that she probably will… and that Shinji may have already seen her with lingerie on…
 
Rei: Given your reaction, I will take that as a yes…
 
Asuka: (Softly) He's finally ready… to do more…
 
Rei: That would explain the condition of the bed…
 
Asuka: (Blushes) REI! I didn't have sex with Shinji…
 
Hikari: (Looks at Rei and notices her smiling) Looks like she got you, Asuka…
 
Rei: It appears that I am getting a better handle on humor… (Starts laughing along with Hikari)
 
Asuka: Hey! That's not funny!
 
Hikari: (Trying to defuse the situation) All right… let's talk about something else…
 
Asuka: (Seeing a chance to get her friend back) What about you, Hikari? I noticed that Toji didn't have his shirt on when you two came into the room.
 
Hikari: (Waves her hands defensively and goes red in the face) We didn't do anything! We were just… snuggling… (Voice trails off)
 
Asuka: (Wags her finger at Hikari) Sure you were…
 
Rei: (Interrupts) It appears that all of us are on a more intimate level with our boyfriends since the explosion yesterday…
 
Asuka: Well, when you nearly die… you wanna make sure that things are real… and hang onto what you have…
 
All three girls are silent for a moment… all know that Asuka's words are definitely true. Asuka silently flips through the catalogue and finds a few things that catch her eye… and that she can recommend to her two friends.
 
Asuka: Rei… how about something in blue? (Flips to the middle of the catalogue) This would look nice on you… and maybe you could even show it to Kensuke…
 
Hikari: I don't think that'd be a good idea, Asuka… Kensuke started nosebleeding after seeing the catalogue earlier… he may not be ready for that.
 
Rei: (Thinks about it for a moment) Perhaps Hikari is right… but I would like Ken-kun to be able to look at me and not hurt himself.
 
Asuka chuckles and Hikari just sighs.
 
Asuka: Now, let's get back to business…
 
 
The girls thumb through the catalogues and mark what they want to get… Shinji and Kensuke do the same thing over in the kitchen. Toji eventually leaves his room and joins the two other “Stooges” in the kitchen, where he marks down his selections as well.
 
Up in Gendo's office, a meeting has just concluded and Misato and Kaji are on their way back down to the apartment. Gendo hands some documents over to Kozo and waits for a response…
 
Kozo: This is certainly interesting… there definitely was some force at work when Third Impact failed…
 
Gendo: Indeed. The Fourth Child has his natural limbs back… and Rei… is… (Still not totally believing what he just read)… human.
 
Kozo: Yes, she is. 100 % human… and she's beginning to act like a normal girl of her age. (Looks down at the paper in his hands) There's also the matter of her accelerated growth… within a month she will be fifteen years old, not twelve.
 
Gendo: (Nods his head) There is also the matter of her relationship with the new Fifth Child.
 
Kozo: Kensuke Aida. Yes, it seems like all of the pilots have “paired up”…
 
Gendo: That could prove to be a problem… or a benefit… time will tell…
 
Kozo: And the scenario's?
 
Gendo: It would appear that something missed our attention and things did not happen as they should. However, as things stand all scenarios are at an end.
 
Kozo: I see.
 
Gendo: But there is one thing I wish to know.
 
Kozo: And what is that?
 
Gendo: Why would she call Major Katsuragi “mom”?
 
Kozo: (Chuckles) It looks like Rei has bonded with Major Katsuragi… it's only natural for her to look for a mother figure.
 
Gendo: (Contemplates what was just said) I see…
 
Kozo: (Brings attention to another relevant topic) There's also the matter of the search for SEELE's hidden base… the information from Kaji proved quite useful.
 
Gendo: Yes. Our search area has been narrowed significantly… and North America has a number of satellites that continually monitor activities there. I've also contacted the presidents of Canada and the United States… they will assist in the search.
 
Kozo: That certainly helps… but I'm sure that SEELE is quite hidden, wherever they may be. It'll take some time before we narrow this search down even more… due to the constant mineral and oil exploration in the northern area of that continent- those would provide good cover for SEELE.
 
Gendo: They certainly would… (Pauses for a moment) Time to implement phase 1 of our preparation plans.
 
Kozo: (Nods his head) Yes sir.
 
 
Later that evening, back in the apartment, Misato collects the catalogs and takes them down to a special courier, who is immediately dispatched to collect all of the clothing as soon as possible. When Hikari and Toji meet up with Teruo Horaki, the two find out that her sisters are safe… but are now living in another part of the country with their aunt and uncle while Toji took some time to talk to his sister. Back in the apartment, Kaji looks over the new orders that were delivered by a courier just moments before…
 
Kaji: (Sitting on the couch in the front room) Looks like we'll all be busy… especially the kids…
 
Asuka and Shinji walk into the room and find the TV on… and Kaji looking over some documents…
 
Asuka: What yah looking at, Kaji?
 
Kaji: (Offers her the papers) Here, take a look for yourself.
 
Asuka: (Takes the papers and sits down on the couch next to Kaji) Okay… let's see what we've got here… (Adjusts her glasses) Huh? What the hell?
 
Shinji: What is it?
 
Asuka: Sit down Shinji. (Shinji sits down next to Asuka) Look at that schedule!
 
Shinji reads the new schedule for the pilots… and his eyes go wide with amazement and shock.
 
Shinji: I guess there won't be much time to relax…
 
Kaji: Nope… and they got an assignment for me, too. It looks like I'll be talking to various leaders in Alaska, Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut… SEELE is somewhere in the northern part of North America.
 
Asuka: I've always wanted to go up there… maybe one day we can take a little vacation over there… (Rests her head on Shinji's shoulder) Right Shin-chan?
 
Shinji: Sure… I've never been anywhere outside of Japan…
 
Asuka: At least they're covering all of the bases… swimming, battle sims, karate… (Pauses for a moment) Basic weapons training? I'll bet Kensuke will be in heaven with that one…
 
Shinji and Kaji nod their heads in agreement. Asuka sighs and looks at Shinji longingly…
 
Asuka: I guess tonight will be our last night before we work ourselves to death… (Winks at Shinji) I'm sure we can make it… (In a sultry tone)… special…
 
Kaji's eyebrows go up and he looks at Asuka.
 
Kaji: That sounded like…
 
Asuka: I guess I'm picking up some of Misato's lines… but don't worry Kaji… I wasn't talking about “that”…
 
Kaji just shakes his head. `I should've figured that she'd be kidding around with me… she always does that when she's feeling a little stressed out…'
 
Kaji: (Stands up) I'm going to get Rei and Kensuke in here… so I can let them know about our new schedule. Misato should be back any minute… and I'm sure Hikari and Toji will be back before too long…
 
Asuka: (In a curious tone) Do you know when our clothes are coming in? I wanna take a shower and wearing something besides these pajamas…
 
Kaji: Hmm… should be later tonight… we could all use a shower…
 
Asuka: (Sniffs the air) Yeah… especially Shinji here…
 
Shinji: (Offended) HEY!
 
Asuka: (Laughing) I'm kidding, Shin-chan…
 
Kaji walks over to Rei and Kensuke's bedroom while Shinji and Asuka talk and joke around with each other. Kaji knocks on the door and finds Rei snuggled against Kensuke's chest…
 
Kaji: (Softly to himself) Well… looks like they're taking a nap… I'll wake them up for dinner…
 
After gently closing the door, Kaji heads over to the kitchen and starts to make dinner. Shinji and Asuka decide to help him out… all three wonder where Misato is and why she's taking so long…
 
 
Gendo Ikari, NERV Supreme Commander, sat at his desk with one folder on it. His elbows rested on the table with his fingers laced before him. Looking over his hands at Major Misato Katsuragi he could not help but scowl.
 
Beside him, Kozo Fuyutski stood and seemed to want to say something, though he kept his peace.
 
Just standing across from these two with their intense stares was something that Misato was almost used to, but this time it was a special case, and she was very nervous.
 
Gendo: Major, I trust there is a valid reason for this request.
 
Misato: (Responds almost instantly) Yes sir.
 
After taking a slight breath she continues. "She deserves more than what she has, and I feel that..."
 
"That you are best to look after her?" Kozo finished for her with a questionable look.
 
Misato: (Putting her all into her words) No. I am not the best, and I am learning as we go. But she deserves to have this. She's not a clone anymore. She's human and she deserves this.
 
Gendo: (Asking calmly) Why?
 
In the past, she might have been nervous, but not when it came to this.
 
Misato: Because I love her.
 
Kozo: Love?
 
Misato: Yes sir. She started out as just a ward, but we have grown closer. I already consider her as part of my family. I just want to make it official.
 
Gendo: (Coldly responds) She was created here, she has no parents…
 
Misato: (Starting to get a little pissed off) That's why she deserves this. I don't want her to have to worry about it. I want her to feel that someone cares enough for her to do this.
 
Gendo replies a moment later. "And you think you are the best one for this position."
 
Misato: I think I am the only one.
 
Misato blew out a harsh breath and then continued. "I have already asked her to call me mom, and she does. Not because of an order, but because she wants to. I want to make it official. I want her to be my daughter."
 
Gendo's eyes flicked down to the folder containing the adoption papers, all that was required was a signature from him, and Rei would be adopted by her.
 
"We will consider it." He stated and in his silent way dismissed her.
 
But the major did not budge.
 
Misato: Sir, I am asking that you sign this. She deserved to have a chance at being human. She deserves to have a mother.
 
Kozo blinked and looked at the major. "Major, I believe you are overstepping your boundaries…"
 
"I DON'T CARE!" Misato suddenly yelled. "I want her! I want to be her mom! All you have to do is sign this damn thing and it's done, and she can feel like she is normal!"
 
Gendo: (In a threatening tone) Captain, you should watch yourself…
 
Misato takes a step backwards… however that step was the only back step. She then took several steps forward and slammed her hands down on his desk.
 
Misato: I don't care if you take away my promotion. You either make Rei my daughter...
 
Gendo: (Raises his eyebrow to show his surprise) Or else?
 
 
Later, Misato Katsuragi was seen walking to her apartment carrying a folder with bold red lettering on it. The words were obscured by her arm and some moisture falling from her eyes. Just outside the apartment, she came across Kaji.
 
Misato: (Very emotionally) K-kaji... I...
 
Kaji: (Concerned) Misato! What's wrong? Are you ok?
 
For a response she handed the folder to Kaji for him to read. It only took a moment for his head to snap back up to look at her. "Is this... does this mean..."
 
Misato nods her head because she's not trusting her voice to convey her answer.
 
To be continued in Chapter 34: Training
 
I hope you enjoyed this chapter… things are beginning to pick up in this story. Thanks to my prereaders Tex, Chris, Danny, Luke… I really appreciate your feedback on this story and your assistance when I was encountering writer's block.
 
I made up names for the three fathers that make their debut appearance in this chapter… Kensuke's father's name comes from the novel “The Fascism of Love and Fantasy (Ai to Gensou no Fascism)” by Ryu Murakami. That's where Toji, Hikari, and Kensuke's name and several of the other characters names come from. The other two parents I had picked a few random names from a website on Japanese names.
 
Takeo- bamboo man
Teruo- the shining man
 
Next chapter will be out sometime in early April or sooner… I have Spring break coming up and lots of other stuff to do with school and work and the needed sleep, it's hard to find time to write. Please read and review and I hope to hear from you the reader… see yah next time!