Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 40: Determination ( Chapter 45 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 40: Determination
 
WARNING!
 
Once again, just like last chapter, I must put a warning up on this chapter as well. There will be a lot of swearing, violence, blood, and gore. You have been warned, this chapter is another rated `R' chapter…
 
END WARNING
 
I know that many of my readers haven't seen pics of the three new NERV techs I had join this story some time ago… so here's a link to a picture of them. (This picture is PG-13, only picture I could find so far of them together. Now you can see why Hyuga hangs out with them, lol…)
 
http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q231/ST_Pika/?action=vie w&current=a4dd77d7c4023a3c778e939d65fe87a7.jpg
 
 
Thanks to Stephen/Datexan for his help and notes from the latter part of A- Misato definitely appreciates your help. Thanks to Daniel for his help prereading as well.
 
1/15/08- Fixed some minor problems and errors and redid a few sentences. Thanks again to Daniel for pointing those errors out.
 
Part A
 
 
At the end of the last chapter, there are two nightmares present in NERV HQ. One quite real, and one is just a dream- though it feels quite real to the young woman dreaming it…
 
 
“I don't want to die… I don't want to die… I don't want to die…” - those five words get repeated again and again as Asuka floats in and out of consciousness. A voice calls out to her… and she feels a presence in front of her.
 
“You're not going to die. You're safe, Asuka…”
 
The redhead's eyes instantly open and she sees the form of her mother standing in front of her. “Mama? Is that really you? I'm not dead, am I?”
 
Kyoko Soryu smiles and gently touches Asuka's cheek. “No… you're okay. I knew which one was the real you when I felt you call out to me during the fight… and how you strained to utter “mama” with your last breath. I couldn't let my only child die at the hands of SEELE… so I took action…”
 
“Okay… so what did you do to the fake Asuka?” a very curious Asuka asks.
 
“I took care of her. I would've never thought that SEELE would've stooped to that level just to get back at you and the others. She'll never hurt you or anyone else again…”
 
“Oh…”
 
The 2nd Child looks down at her tattered clothes and minor knicks and cuts on her body, a result of the fight she was just in. “I'll be okay in here… but what about everyone else?”
 
“It seems like SEELE has taken Rei… and injured many others. That's as much as I can gather from accessing the Magi.”
 
“Oh no…” Asuka says, getting more worried with every passing moment. “I hope they'll be able to get her back… those SEELE bastards will do anything to get back at us, won't they?”
 
“I'm afraid so. Your boyfriend is safe for the moment in the infirmary… I just came across that information.”
 
That brightens Asuka's mood a little. “I'm glad… I was so worried about him- they nearly killed him… and messed with both of our minds. I didn't even get a chance to really talk to him and apologize…”
 
“You'll get that chance…” Kyoko says, trying to reassure her daughter. “That young man is quite special…”
 
“Yes, he is…” Asuka says with a nod. “So is his sister, Rei… she's really one of a kind. On second thought, I think she'll be okay… Misato's probably on the war path now…”
 
“I see…”
 
“I have a memory of her protecting Shinji with her gun… she took out three JSSDF troops by herself within ten seconds. Those guys are professionals… and Misato's pissed off. They're in for it…”
 
“I do hope you're right…” Kyoko says, trying to share her daughters' optimism.
 
 
 
Down in the infirmary, Kaji is pleading with Misato… but to no avail.
 
“Misato… we need a little time to gather some more troops…”
 
“Rei could be dead by then. I have to go NOW!” Misato says with the utmost urgency. “She's our daughter…”
 
“I'm worried about her just as much as you… but you've got more then your own life in your hands…” Kaji says worriedly while gently rubbing Misato's stomach.
 
“Then come with me…”
 
The former spy takes a look around and soon comes across the glance of Commander Ikari, who has been listening in on this rather loud conversation.
 
“Go…” is the weak reply from the injured Commander while nodding at the door.
 
“Well, that settles it. Let's suit up and get Rei… and make sure that Kensuke's all right…” Kaji says to his future wife, who silently nods and thinks silently to herself: `Rei, Kensuke… hang in there, we're coming…'
 
 
With rapid speed, Kaji and Misato armor up and leave orders for the head nurse, who does her best to keep the defenses running in the infirmary, despite some initial nervousness. Carefully but quickly, Kaji and Misato head down the hallways away from the infirmary. Finding the corridors mostly empty, the pair take it as a good sign…
 
 
“I guess everyone's either evacuated to safe areas… or the worst has happen…” Misato says while peering around a corner.
 
“Ritsuko sent us a lot of useful information… we rooted out a lot of those bastards before this happen… it could've been a lot worse…” Kaji says before taking the point position.
 
 
After hearing a soft groan in the distance, the pair go on extra guard and slow their forward pace. Kaji inches forward and carefully investigates the source of the sound…
 
“Kensuke!”
 
“Oh my God!” Misato says upon seeing the young man, crumpled over against a wall, with a pool of blood at his feet.
 
 
Clinging to life as best he can, Kensuke begins weakly saying: “Rei… Rei…” once he sees Kaji and Misato.
 
 
“Hang in there, Kensuke…” Kaji says as he takes a look at the wounds on the young man's body. “Looks like he's been shot at twice… and he's lost a lot of blood. I've got to get him back to the infirmary quickly…”
 
Seeing the sorry state that her daughters' boyfriend is in after this attack, Misato summons her courage and decides to proceed alone. “Take him back to the infirmary… I'll go on ahead…”
 
 
Kaji is about to say something when Misato raises her hand. The former spy cannot help smile. “Go kick some ass, honey…”
 
Misato grins. “Just don't take too long… I don't want you to miss all the fun…”
 
 
The two exchange a brief glance and then Misato continues down the corridor, hoping to find SEELE and her captive daughter. Kaji tends to Kensuke's wounds as best he can and carries the young man back to the infirmary…
 
`Hang in there, Kensuke… Rei would kill me if something happened to you. Just hang in there…'
 
 
After several long minutes and a few false alarms, Kaji and the wounded Kensuke arrive at the infirmary. A stretcher is quickly brought out and he's taken to the central area for emergency surgery…
 
The head nurse walks over to Kaji and asks what happened.
 
“He was with Rei… and he must've gotten shot trying to protect her. I don't think that group of SEELE was out to kill- they've got Rei somewhere…”
 
“Oh no. You still haven't found her?”
 
Kaji shakes his head sadly. “No… but Misato's tailing them right now. I'd better catch up with her… can you handle it here Mitsumi?”
 
“No problem… you go help Misato get Rei back…” The nurse says with a nod.
 
 
A moment later, Kaji is gone. Having a few free moments, the head nurse decides to check on her other patients, starting with Commander Ikari.
 
“Feeling any better, sir?”
 
“A little…” is about all Gendo can say before groaning aloud with pain. “The pain killers are helping… somewhat…”
 
“That's the best we can do without operating… you wanted to wait until this attack was over before doing so…”
 
“Correct. I wish to stay in command and have all my faculties available…”
 
After hearing that, Mitsumi points at the call button on the bed. “Just call me, Commander, if there's something you need…”
 
 
The injured Gendo lies back in the bed and tries to relax, despite the stressful situation. He reaches for a small computer pad and starts reviewing information about the current situation. `Those old men won't get away with this…'
 
 
As soon as Mitsumi walks into the central protected area of the infirmary, she's greeted by a question.
 
“Hey, I thought I saw someone get wheeled into surgery… who was it? It looked like Kensuke…” a very concerned Toji asks.
 
“Yes… it was Kensuke. He got shot twice… and he's lost a lot of blood. He's going to make it… he seems like a very strong young man…” Mitsumi says somberly.
 
“Thank goodness…” Toji says while breathing a sigh of relief. “They almost got Shinji over there earlier today…”
 
“Huh? Are you talking about me?” Shinji asks from the other side of the room.
 
“It's nothin'… but thanks for protecting my little sister. I heard one of those SEELE people got in here… and you shot `em down…”
 
“Yeah, he shot him good!” the youngest Suzuhara exclaims. “Shinji protected me again, just like he did before… back when the city got attacked for the first time…”
 
“It was nothing…” Shinji says while trying not blush.
 
“You're a hero, Shinji…” Mitsumi says while checking his blood pressure. “You saved her life and your own with your quick thinking…”
 
“Yeah… I guess I did…” is the soft reply from Shinji. “I'm still worried about Asuka, though. You said there was two Asuka's… and one's dead?”
 
“Yes… from the report that I read earlier, one was crushed by Unit 02's hands… and the other one is inside the entry plug. They're not sure which is which… so they're not letting anyone out of the cage until we can confirm their identities…”
 
“Asuka…”
 
The name of Shinji's beloved fills the air once again as he prays for her safety. “Please be okay…”
 
Hikari enters the room a moment later and rushes over to Toji… who pulls her into an intimate embrace.
 
“I just saw the doctors… and they said Kensuke's going to be all right… though he won't be moving for a while…”
 
“I'm glad Hikari… I don't wanna loose anyone, not even Asuka… what would the world be like without her?” Toji says, trying to make a joke at the end.
 
Catching what Toji just said, Shinji cannot help but comment. “A very boring place…”
 
 
“I'll be in the next room checking on our other patients… let me know if you guys need anything…” Mitsumi says before excusing herself to check on the next set of patients.
 
 
Toji's sister turns and looks at Shinji. “We don't need to worry… if someone tries to get in here again, Shinji will get `em!” the young girl says enthusiastically. “Right, big brother?”
 
“Yeah… Shin-man here's a good shot… along with a certain brunette…” Toji feels Hikari's hold around him tighten and the warmth of her blushing face can be felt against his skin.
 
“Toji…” the class rep says softly.
 
“It'll be okay… you're safe with me. I told yah that I'd protect yah…” the Fourth Child says while gently running his fingers through her long brown hair. “Your hair is soft…”
 
“Thanks.” Hikari tries to relax and pulls away slightly, wanting to look at Toji's face. “You said that you like my hair down… do you really mean it?”
 
“The pigtails were cute… but I think you look even better like this. Definitely cuter…” the young man says, declaring his verdict on her new hairstyle. “You look more grown up like this…”
 
“I… I think I do, too… maybe it's time for a change…”
 
Toji says nothing but continues to comfort his girlfriend and keep an eye on his sister. `Everything will be okay… we're together here…'
 
 
In the next room, Mitsumi checks on her four patients. The most critically injured is Hyuga, having taken several bullets while protecting the three women technicians. Two different IV's run into his left arm as a machine keeps track of his heartbeat and blood pressure…
 
Kaede and Aoi have one bullet wound each and are in serious condition. Both are conscious and very worried about the man in the middle of the room who saved their lives…
 
The only one to escape uninjured is Satsuki, who assists Mitsumi in her rounds…
 
 
“Is he going to be okay, nurse?” The worried Satsuki asks while looking at her two injured friends, who turn to look at Hyuga.
 
The head nurse sighs softly and then tells the young woman what she needs to know. “He's in critical condition… but he'll make it. We've got to get his strength back up and get his blood count to rise… he'll need some surgery to remove those bullets, too…”
 
“He saved us…” Aoi says weakly. “Even when he was hit, he still kept on firing…”
 
Kaede looks at Hygua and says: “He's a hero… to all us. We owe him and Satsuki our lives…”
 
“It was nothing…” the young woman says back, blushing at the compliment. “I was just protecting my friends.”
 
“In any case, I'm leaving you in charge here… be sure and keep an eye on everyone while I continue my rounds…” after saying that to Satsuki, she hands the woman a gun. “Watch that door…”
 
“Yes ma'am…”
 
 
Satisfied that the room is secured, Mitsumi continues her rounds and prays for this conflict's end…
 
 
 
With NERV troops on the move, Rei's kidnappers stop and take momentary refuge in one of the storerooms. Several of their ranks have already been lost to the troops… and they've heard that a certain woman was trailing them as well…
 
 
“Damn it…” Misato utters to herself as she carefully moves down the hallway. “This armor isn't very flexible… but at least I'm alive…”
 
Gently touching her right leg, Misato feels a bruise forming under the armor. “I guess it's better then being hit…”
 
A sound in the distance makes the Colonel reach for her gun. She gently taps her ear to turn on the transmitter…
 
“This is the Colonel- is there any fried chicken in sight?” she says while trying to maintain a straight face. `How I let Kaji talk me into this for a code system, I'll never know.'
 
The sound of laughter is heard for a short moment before a reply is heard. “Sorry… we're trying to restore the cameras- there is a drumstick just ahead guarding one of the rooms. That may be where pilot Katsuragi is at.”
 
“Roger that. I'm going into to deep fry…”
 
“We'll let you know if we find anything else. Kaji just got into the infirmary with pilot Aida, by the way- he's on his way to your position.”
 
Grateful for that information, Misato breathes a sigh of relief. “Thank God they made it!”
 
“We'll keep you informed…”
 
 
The line goes dead and Misato double checks her gun and the corridor in front of her. `Here goes nothing…' Carefully she moves forward until a guard comes into view. Unfortunately, he happens to be looking that way when she turns the corner. She starts staring at the guard while he moves his assault rifle into position- she shows no fear, however. Consequently, he's showing a lot of fear from the wild look in her eyes…
 
 
"You dare... you dare come into my house... grab MY daughter... and try to take HER away from ME!" Misato sputters in a near rage.
The guard looked at her with shaking knees while trying hard to maintain the illusion that he was confident that he was in control.
"I have just one thing to say to you..."
"What's that?" he asked and then before he could blink she jumped at him. Quickly he pulled the trigger and filled the hall with a spray of deadly bullets…
 
It was all for naught, however… with one final shot the gun fell from his fingers. In his throat was a large hole created by an irate Colonel. She sneared at the SEELE agent as he died: "Never fuck with MY family!"
 
Precious seconds pass as Misato watches the body slump and fall to the floor, blood coating the hall just opposite where she had shot him. With a fire in her eyes and approached the door and in her rage, she jerked the door off its hinges. Tossing it to the side, she continues inside. One of the hardened NERV troops watching through the security cameras tensed up and with raised eyebrows exclaimed: "I'd rather fight an EVA than piss her off..."
"Yeah... I know what you mean..." gulped the other one as both watched Misato's progress on the screen.
 
Wasting no time, Misato steps further into the room. Upon seeing Rei's kidnapper, her anger rises even more. Her eyes focus on the man who's standing against the back wall of the room and holding her daughter by the throat with a gun pointed at her head.
 
"One more step and I give the walls a new paint job!" Misato says in a near growl.
"Mom..." Rei almost whimpered as the hand around her throat tightened.
Seeing her daughter in distress as well as seeing the tears still falling from her eyes only made the Colonel even angrier…
"You..." Misato hissed. "I will make sure you die slowly and as painfully as I can."
Rei looked at her mother and then closed her eyes. Misato took that as her cue and acted.
 
"What..." The kidnapper tried to ask as suddenly a hole had been made through his right wrist and into his right shouder… through the pain he tried to squeeze Rei's neck and kill her by strangulation.
 
Just moments into the squeeze, however, the SEELE agent feels his fingers being broken backwards. Struggling to open his eyes, all he can see is a horrible image- an angry purple-headed monster known as a pissed off Misato took great joy and care in breaking every one of his fingers…
“Hurt my daughter will you!”
 
A moment later, Rei is free. She quickly moves out of the way as Misato prepares to let her displeasure be known to the unlucky SEELE agent. Using the last several shots in her gun, she shot him in the right foot, the left knee, and to the horror of all the NERV guards that happened to be watching, his groin was next followed by his left elbow before she ran out of bullets.
"Misato... that's enough..." a voice from the door said.
This was quickly followed by Rei shouting "DAD!" and then throwing herself into his arms and crying.
Misato sighed, and letting go of her anger, she kicked the kidnappers gun far from him. "You got lucky..." she told him and then left to join her the loves of her life.
 
From the floor, the kidnapper only had one plea... "Just... kill me... now..." he begged silently as he watched the three walk out of the room holding on to each other. "This... wasn't supposed to happen... this... way..."
“You're lucky that we aren't enraged like the Colonel was… otherwise we'd take you up on that request. You're coming with us!” the lead NERV guard says before picking up the wounded SEELE agent. “Let's move out!”
 
Several explosions rock the base as the situation becomes more and more desperate. Key areas and sections are being reclaimed and SEELE personnel are being trapped by strategic bakelite releasal or NERV troops. The battle is far from over though, especially in the area around the main command center, which the majority of the SEELE troops are still trying to damage and/or destroy….
 
Up in the command center, Maya is taking a short break to tend to Aoba's wounds while Commander Fuyutski provides cover fire. The situation seems to see-saw back and forth, with neither side making any real progress.
“I'll give them one thing… they sure are persistant…” Kozo mumbles under his breath. “But I think we're winning… I heard over the secure channel that we've trapped or killed a lot of them over on the lower levels…”
“Yeah…” Aoba says while trying to relax. He feels a sharp pain as Maya removes the shrapnel that hit him earlier…
“There… all done!” Maya says as she tightens the cloth over the wound. “That should stop the bleeding… good thing it didn't hit an artery…”
Aoba chuckles. “Thanks. You make a good nurse, you know…”
Maya blushes… and Kozo rolls his eyes. “Now's not the time for romance… what's our status on securing the upper levels?”
“Oh, yeah, umm… one second.” Carefully, Maya reaches up and detaches the keyboard from the console. She tilts her head up and starts typing commands into the computer… and soon has an answer for the Commander.
 
“They're on the run… but there's lots of damage to the cameras and to the structure of the base… it's slow going at best, sir… according to our troop leaders. Colonel Katsuragi is preparing another assault force at the infirmary right now…”
“I see. There's no need to report that to Commander Ikari… since he's already there in the infirmary. Let's see if we can make some progress against these troops here…” Commander Fuyutski says before hearing the “clang” of bullets hitting nearby consoles. The monitor that Maya had been using shatters and explodes from the gun fire, sending glass everywhere…
 
The young technician barely has time to turn away before that happens… a few pieces of glass tear into her clothing and cause some minor cuts…
“Oww! That hurt…” Maya says while brushing the glass off. “There goes our terminal… and the other ones nearby aren't exactly working either…” she says while looking at the smoking remains of the other terminals. “What do we do now, sir?”
 
Part B
 
“I wonder…” Kozo stops speaking and then snaps his fingers. “Do we still have those bakelite tubes hooked up?”
 
“I think so, sir…” Aoba says while trying to remember the specifics of the base and the rebuilding of it from November to present.
 
“What's your plan, sir?” a curious Maya asks, wanting to know more about this plan.
 
Taking a deep breath, Kozo quickly explains his plan. “If we time it just right… we can evacuate our troops from here and then flood this room and the connecting rooms with bakelite, trapping all of those attacking troops. As long as we can seal off their retreat route, they'll be trapped when the bakelite fills this room and rushes down that entrance they just made. The timing has to right, though… or they'll get some shots off and damage or destroy the MAGI…”
 
“Yeah, the timing would have to be perfect. Our troops could retreat the way Maya and I came up here…” Aoba says while nodding at the nearby panel.
 
“I'll contact Commander Ikari and see if this will work…” Commander Fuyutski says as he backs into a more secure position. Aoba and Maya anxiously wait for him to get an answer… the bullets and explosions make time pass by excruciatingly slow…
 
 
“I've just talked to Commander Ikari… and he's approved the plan. We can do it… but we have to move quickly. He just ordered their retreat route sealed…” Kozo says to the two NERV techs. “Let's have them retreat up here while pretending to be wounded, so SEELE won't think that we're up to something…”
 
“Aye, sir.” Aoba says before tuning his communicator to another frequency. “All troops retreat to my position on the upper level… pretend to be injured. We're evacuating so we can flood this area with bakelite and trap SEELE…”
 
Several “Rogers” are heard back and the remaining troops start retreating while still putting up a fight. The continued resistance confuses the SEELE troops and they remain ignorant of their opponents' real intentions…
 
 
“Keep moving… just go down to the bottom and then to the right… head for the infirmary if you're injured… or to the video control room if you're not.” Kozo says to the retreating troops as the pass by. To keep the façade going, Aoba takes his gun and shoots at the advancing SEELE troops, trying to buy more time.
 
“Be careful…” Maya says as bullets thud into a nearby bulkhead.
 
“I need some help…” Aoba says while reloading his gun with a fresh clip. “Maya, I need your help…”
 
“I…” the young technician stops and gulps and tries to steel herself for the task ahead. `I've already done it… shot people that we're trying to kill Aoba and I. I have to help him… and the others…'
 
 
Maya cautiously slides over and carefully peers over the console she's behind. With a target in sight, she pulls the trigger…
 
“Good shot… you hit him right where there was no armor…” Aoba comments as he continues to provide cover fire.
 
 
Troops continue to file back in retreat… not all arrive unscathed, however. Quite a number are hit by shrapnel or bullets as they scramble up to where Aoba and Maya are at. The pace of retreat slows and the SEELE troops advance…
 
“We have to hold them back long enough to get everybody in… and flood this area before they can hit the MAGI…” Commander Fuyutski says. “The timing will be tricky…”
 
“I'll do it…” Maya says abruptly. “I'll stay behind and hit the release button on the last console we've got working up here…”
 
“Maya…” Aoba says immediately, not wanting her to be in harms way anymore then she is already.
 
“You're wounded, Aoba… and I don't want the Commander to get hurt.” is the reply back from Maya, dismissing the protest.
 
Focusing on the troops for the moment, Kozo thinks about what Maya said. He waves the last troops into the escape hatch. “Let's keep moving… you too, Aoba.”
 
“But sir…”
 
“Maya… go ahead. I'm leaving it up to you…” Kozo says while reaching for some canisters. “Here's some cover…”
 
 
Maya and Aoba exchange glances and then Aoba heads down the ladder and is soon out of sight.
 
“Are you ready, Maya?”
 
“Yes, sir!” is the energetic but nervous reply from Maya. Sub-commander Fuyutski starts taking the pins off of the gas canisters and launches them over the railing, making some fall nearby and some near the entrance to the room that SEELE breached. The sounds of hacking and coughing get closer and closer…
 
“Wait about five seconds and then hit it… I'll be waiting at the bottom for you…” Kozo says while climbing down the ladder.
 
Maya waves her hand in front of her face… the smoke is spreading quite rapidly and visibility is quickly decreasing. `Five… four… three… two… one… now!'
 
The young woman hits the trigger button on the console and bids a hasty retreat back to the panel. Alert sirens warble as a five second countdown is announced…
 
“Five… four… three… two… one… begin bakelite infusion…”
 
 
While climbing down the ladder, Maya can hear the sudden sound of what at first thought is rushing water… but is the liquid plastic filling the room. Screams and curses are heard for a few moments and then silenced…
 
 
“It sounds like your timing was perfect- they didn't get a chance to hit the MAGI…”
 
“That's true… there weren't any explosions…” Maya acknowledges with a nod. “Where to now?”
 
“We have to move fast… this are will be sealed and flooded within the next five minutes. Let's head to the video control room and meet up with the rest of our troops…” is the reply given by Kozo.
 
“Aoba went to the infirmary, right?”
 
“Yes, he did. He'll be fine, Maya. We have to regroup and then strike at whoever's left…”
 
 
A low rumble reverberates through the corridor as other areas nearby the control center get locked down. The sound of rushing liquid is heard in the distance…
 
“The area is being sealed off… let's get out of here…” Commander Fuyutski says while pointing down the corridor.
 
Gun in hand, both quickly rush down the hallway, ever watchful of their surroundings. After a couple minutes of movement, the two take a rest just outside of one of the main bulkheads…
 
“Isn't this the limit?” Maya says, referring to the ring of rooms that were to be sealed off when she started the sequence.
 
“Yes…”
 
“That's good to know…” a voice says in the distance before several thuds are heard in the metal of the bulkhead, narrowly missing Maya. She falls backwards while the Commander takes aim and fires, severely wounding the attacker and sending him to the floor.
 
“Let's keep moving Maya…” Kozo says while extending a hand out. Maya takes his hand and gets back on her feet. The pair quickly run down the hallway while trying to avoid any more “surprises”. After a stressful three minute run, they make it to the video room…
 
 
The conflict continues and then a new sensation hits the building a little while later- a sudden ground shaking vibration, which feels like an earthquake to everyone still alive in NERV headquarters.
 
“What was that?” Misato asks while trying to keep her balance.
 
“I think they're getting desperate… and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were on suicide runs… just like last time…” Kaji says grimly.
 
 
The explosions continue off and on for several minutes. Commander Ikari keeps a close eye on the situation and what systems are being affected. Needless to say he's quite surprised at what he sees…
 
`The remaining troops are like cornered mice… they'll do anything to escape, even if it serves no real purpose for SEELE's aims.'
 
 
Further inside the infirmary, Rei is getting more worried by the minute. Her grip on Kensuke's hand tightens and she begins talking to the unconscious young man.
 
“Please hang in there, Ken-kun… please…”
 
Shinji, who's now recovered enough to be out of bed, places a reassuring hand on Rei's shoulder. “He'll be fine- Kensuke's pretty tough…”
 
“Yeah, yah don't have to worry about him too much…” Toji adds while taking a hold of Hikari's hand. “We're all in this together…”
 
“Yeah…” Hikari says before a sudden shock sends everyone reeling in the room. The class rep falls down onto top of Toji, both land on the floor a moment later.
 
Releasing his hold on a nearby bed, Shinji asks the one question on everyone's mind. “What the hell was that?”
 
“I don't know… but it felt like it was close…” Rei says while thinking about what just happened. “We should construct defensive positions here immediately… I believe that SEELE is coming… and from that direction…”
 
“That's Kensuke's girl all right…” Toji says with a nervous chuckle. He feels a gentle tug on his shirt and looks down…
 
“Big brother, are we going to be okay?”
 
“I think so… but we gotta make it safe in here. You stay with Kensuke and watch him, okay?”
 
“Okay…” the young girl says while walking back to the bed in question.
 
 
The doors to the room fly open and a very concerned Misato starts speaking. “Are you guys okay? We're under attack…”
 
“Mom, we're fine… though I think that they will be attacking from that direction as well… there have been several explosions, each one getting closer…” Rei says while pointing at the far wall.
 
“Let's assume you're right… we need to get Kensuke out of here. The room just behind this one has a lot of our injured… we should keep them together and guard it at all costs…”
 
 
With not a moment to waste, the room is reconfigured- beds are moved around and makeshift barricades are placed throughout the room. Adjacent rooms are sealed off, making an inviting path towards the defenders…
 
“I just hope this doesn't become like Custer's last stand or Waterloo…” Misato says to herself while making final arrangements.
 
“No… unless you mean we're on the winning side…” Rei says; trying to cheer her mom up. “Pass me that jar…”
 
“Oh… very good, Rei. Sometimes the simplest things can have a powerful effect…” Misato says while reaching for a nearby jar. “Here…”
 
 
Rei takes the jar and places in the defensive area in the back of the room. Another explosion rocks the area, nearly sending the two women to the floor.
 
“I think they're just about here…” Misato says while tapping her earpiece. “Status up in front…”
 
“Mitsumi here. According to reports, the enemy's numbers are thinning quite rapidly. Our forces from the control room have been sweeping around and should be attacking them from the back within the next two minutes. Situation is good… no major injuries here at the moment. What's the status on the rogue group heading your way?”
 
“They're almost here…” is the reply back.
 
 
A large “BOOM” is heard and shrapnel fills the air, clanging against the beds and other barricades set up hastily by Misato and the others. “We're engaging the enemy… keep on the offense until the enemy surrenders or is wiped out. It sounds like you're in good shape there… I'll keep you informed.”
 
Misato closes the channel and reaches for her gun. She looks to her right and sees Rei do the same thing. “Are you ready?”
 
“Yes mom…”
 
Turning her head, Misato looks to the left. “Are you three ready over there?”
 
“Ready…” is the reply from the two young men.
 
“Yeah, ready to go…” Hikari says while taking a few deep breaths. “Here we go again…”
 
 
The cloud of dust that had filled the air begins to disappate and then sound of movement can be heard in the distance. `Now's a good time to use Rei's idea…'
 
Misato nods towards the far end of the room and Rei cautious grabs the jar. Rolling it up the center aisle, the jar heads towards the “new entrance” to the room… and is shot to pieces upon reaching it, spilling its contents all over the floor…
 
 
Several confused statements are heard by the defenders from the attacking troops. “What was that? It wasn't a bomb was it?”
 
“It didn't blow up… but we can't see in there yet…” says another voice.
 
“No time to waste… there's only a few of them at best… most of them are at the main entrance defending this place. Let's get in there and take these people out and wipe out their injured… then we can sneak attack from the back…” a commanding voice says. “Let's go!”
 
 
With guns at the ready, the SEELE troops silently advance towards the entrance. With the dust finally dissipating, timing is critical. Misato tosses a piece of debris at the back exit to the room…
 
“Freeze!”
 
Misato carefully projects her voice towards the back of the room. “Come and get me!”
 
“You asked for it… charge!” the SEELE troop leader says before running towards the back of the room, with his troops right behind him. A few seconds later, all five troops start stumbling and fall to the floor…
 
“NOW!” Misato says while standing up. The four pilots quickly stand up and point their guns at the fallen troops, who promptly drop their weapons.
 
“Don't move! I've already killed several of your troops for stealing my daughter… and I'm still in a bad mood so don't fuck with me…” This point is made even clearer by Misato ramming her gun against the head of the nearest soldier, causing him to cringe.
 
“You expect us to give up?” the commander says defiantly. “These young one's are going to shoot us too?”
 
“Yes… believe it…” Rei says while staring down the soldier in question. “All of my fellow pilots have fired many times tonight… what's a few more bullets? Your troops abducted me and nearly killed Ken-kun… not to mention all of the other casualties.”
 
Pointing the gun at the leader, Rei imitates Misato's mood and posture. “Your plan has failed… so don't…” Rei's eyebrows goes up and she completes her imitation of her mom's actions a moment ago. “Don't fuck with us… or else…”
 
“Yeah… umm… what she said…” Toji says while nodding at Rei. Hikari and Shinji cannot believe that Rei just said that… but keep their focus on the captives and betray no emotion.
 
“That girl scares me… let's listen to her…” one of the troops exclaims, fearing for his life. “The older woman is even worse…”
 
“OLDER WOMAN?”
 
In a rage, Misato grabs the soldier that just said that and pulls him to his feet. She points her gun under his chin…
 
“Who you calling old?”
 
“Ummm… no one…” is the very nervous reply back. “You're umm… just a little older then these teens…”
 
Dropping the soldier to the ground, Misato mumbles the word “Better…” before tapping her earpiece. “I have five prisoners, over. Need some help here…”
 
“Be right there, dear. We're wrapping things up over here… we've got the last of the attackers…” is the reply back by Kaji. “Besides the ones encased in bakelite, that is…”
 
Staring down at her captives, Misato cannot help but say: “You hear that? It's over… you people failed.”
 
 
One of the captives is about to say something but knows better to piss the purple or blue haired woman off. Kaji arrives with some reinforcements a few minutes later and they haul off the prisoners to detention cells…
 
“Good riddance! I almost shot one of them for mouthing off…”
 
With some hesitation, Kaji asks what the man said. Misato whispers her reply into his ear.
 
“Oh, I see… no wonder you wanted to kill him…” Kaji says with a smile. “By the way, who's idea was it to spill these marbles all over the floor?”
 
Rei raises her hand. “That was my idea… it seemed to work in anime… so why not in real life? They did not have the means to see the marbles… and as you can see we caught them by surprise.”
 
“That's my daughter…” Kaji gives Rei a hug. “Good work Rei… you really are a great tactician, just like your mom.”
 
Rei shakes her head. “It was not entirely my idea… Ken-kun was the one who showed me the anime in the first place.”
 
“Who knew anime could be helpful in real life?” Shinji says with a shrug.
 
“Oh, I almost forgot… there's someone waiting for you in the other room Misato…” Kaji says while snapping his fingers.
 
Misato, curious about that comments, quickly heads into the next room down, where the injured patients are being kept. While they wait for her return, the young teen pilots ask some questions…
 
 
Shinji goes first. “Is it really over, Kaji?”
 
“For now… Maya and Commander Fuyutski helped lead the assault from the video control room. Anyone that was attacking the main entrance to this area has been captured or is dead.”
 
“But… there's still more to do. I mean, don't we have ta hit their base or somethin'?”
 
“That's right, Toji. I think we're getting too close to finding them… that's why they attacked now. It didn't help that we removed a lot of spies lately…”
 
“I guess now we get to clean up…” Hikari says with a sigh. “There's destruction everywhere…”
 
“But at least we're alive… and speaking of that… where's Asuka?” Shinji says impatiently. “I want to see her!”
 
“She'll be here soon… just wait for Commander Fuyutski to arrive. They have to get all of the prisoners taken care of first… and we'll need your help when she arrives, Shinji…”
 
A quizzical expression forms on Shinji's face after hearing that. `I wonder what he means by that…'
 
 
The doors to the room fly open a few seconds later and a very confident Misato walks into the room.
 
“Guess who's in charge?”
 
“Did you kill the Commander?” Kaji asks half-heartedly.
 
“Ha ha. No, he's in surgery right now… and since you and Commander Fuyutski are in charge of the prisoner round up… I get to be in charge again, at least for a little while.”
 
“Father…” Shinji says softly. “Umm… how is he?”
 
“He got shot three times… he's having the bullets removed right now. He'll be fine, Shinji…”
 
 
Despite the hard feeling between them, Shinji does feel relieved to hear that. The sound of approaching people turns Shinji's attention to the large hole where SEELE made their entrance a short while ago.
 
 
“SHINJI!” a familiar voice cries out from the entrance.
 
“ASUKA!”
 
Happy to see each other, two hurry into each other's arms and embrace. Tears flow from both teens faces as the continue to hold each other close…
 
 
Misato walks up to the two and motions the others to keep back, despite their wanting to talk to Asuka. The other teens silently stay in place…
 
“Go on dear…” Kaji says while nudging Misato.
 
“Ahem. Shinji, I need you to do something…”
 
“Yes?” the young man says while turning his head to look at Misato.
 
“First things first. What's your Stratos 4 name Asuka?”
 
“Shizuha Doi” is the quick response back.
 
Misato breathes a sigh of relief. “That's correct. Shinji, I need you to confirm that this is the real Asuka for me…”
 
“Umm… okay.”
 
Shinji looks at the tear filled face of the woman in front of him, then caresses her hair. His hands next head down her back and squeeze her behind…
 
“Shinji…” a blushing Asuka says softly. “What are you doing?”
 
“Making sure it's really you…”
 
“Feels like the real one to me…” Shinji announces.
 
 
Misato rolls her eyes. “Remember the clone had the same body as Asuka… I need you to ask her a question only she would know… maybe something from your shared memories?”
 
“Oh, okay…”
 
Asuka smiles and stops crying. She eagerly awaits his question for her…
 
`Hmm… something only Asuka would know. Something from my dreams…'
 
Clearing his throat, Shinji asks his question in a near whisper. “What did I want to do to your striped swimsuit, Asuka?”
 
Asuka thinks about that and remembers a certain fantasy that young man in front of her had. Her reply, however, is a lot louder then Shinji's question.
 
“You wanted to unzip my swimsuit top of course, you naughty boy…” is the sultry response to the question.
 
 
“I didn't allow Asuka to buy that suit for that…” Kaji says jokingly.
 
“Sounds like Asuka to me…” Misato says with a sigh. “She's the real one…”
 
“And you called me a perv… Shin-man here wanted to unzip her swimsuit…” Toji says to Hikari, who blushes.
 
“It's not like that! That was just a dream… I mean…” Shinji's face turns beet red and the young man promptly shuts up to avoid further embarrassment.
 
“It's okay Shinji… everyone here knows how much you want me…” Asuka says with a wink. “Hold me…”
 
Shinji buries his face into her shoulder and Asuka happily wraps her arms around the young man. Shinji's embarrassment begins to lessen as his face is now not visible to the others…
 
 
Rei walks up to Asuka and places a hand on her shoulder. “It's good to see you are back unharmed…”
 
“Well, I did get some scratches… but they'll heal up. I'm not the one who ended the fight, though… that was momma's doing…”
 
“Your EVA crushed your clone by itself?”
 
“Yes… to protect me. I thought I was dead… she was strangling me.” Asuka says softly.
 
Misato and Kaji watch as the other crowd around Asuka and start asking her questions, all the while holding Shinji who doesn't want to let go of her. `I nearly lost her… and I'll be damned if I ever let her go again.'
 
 
“I guess I can't call you Colonel right now…” Kaji says jokingly.
 
Poking Kaji in the chest with her finger, Misato grins. “No, you can't. It's Commander Katsuragi… remember that, Special Agent Kaji…”
 
“Yes, of course…”
 
“Good. Now come with me… we've got a lot of work to do.” she says while motioning at the door behind her. “We've got a lot of work to do…”
 
 
Kaji says nothing but follows Misato as she walked into the “injury room”. Inside, they look at the scene in front of them. The wounded fill up every bed… many familiar faces are found as they survey the room. Maya is sitting next to Aoba… Toji's little sister is being held by her father, grateful that his daughter wasn't hurt. Hikari's father comes up to the pair after seeing them enter the room…
 
“Where's my daughter? She's okay, right?”
 
“She's fine… she's in the room behind me with the others…” Misato says happily. “Go and see her…”
 
“Thank you…” Teruo says before heading out to see his daughter.
 
 
Mitsumi hears the conversation in the back of the room and finishes tending to her patient before approaching Misato and Kaji.
 
“Thank God it's finally over…”
 
“Yeah… but now we have to deal with the aftermath…” Misato says sadly, thinking about all of the wounded and dead.
 
“I have some good news for you… Kensuke has been stabilized and he's in surgery right now. His father is with him…”
 
“I'm glad to hear that… he's one tough guy and we'd hate to lose him. My daughter Rei especially…” Kaji says with a nod.
 
“He helped us out, actually… one of his ideas helped Rei come up with an idea that enabled us to catch those last five attackers… without a single shot.” Misato says proudly. “That and him trying to save Rei… he's really brave and we owe him one.”
 
“You'll also be happy to know that Hyuga, Aoi, and Kaede are also doing okay… they'll be out for a few days, but otherwise they'll be fine. Satsuki is with them all… I guess Hyuga protected them all… with a little help from Kaede…”
 
“That's great…” a very happy Misato says, glad that her friends are okay.
 
“We got a lot of work ahead of us, though…” Kaji says with a sigh. “It's going to take a while to clean everything up… not to mention getting access to the control center again.”
 
“True… but we both made it…” Misato says while gently rubbing her stomach. “Let's get started…”
 
To be continued in Chapter 41: Rebuild
 
 
Thanks to Daniel and SepecatSukhoi for their help prereading this 2nd half. Stay tuned to see how the recovery effort progresses in the next chapter…