Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A New Beginning/ A New World: Emerald Edition ❯ Chapter 41: Rebuild ( Chapter 46 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 41: Rebuild
 
Thanks to Luke/ Ranmasaotome103 (on dA and fanfiction.net) for prereading. Thanks also to Sean for prereading and giving me some cool ideas for this chapter. I got a third prereading from Daniel/ Excel92 (on dA) which helped fixed some other errors… part D was not preread before the initial posting.
 
There are some links to pictures at the end of the chapter- four pictures of the “Bridge Bunnies” Satsuki Ooi, Kaede Agano, and Aoi Mogami- these three were in the game “Raising Shinji” and you may not know what they look like, but you will after checking out the four links.
 
There are an additional seven links to pictures commissioned by me from my friend June, aka alaer from DeviantArt. Six are character sketches and one is a color picture of Shinji and Asuka in Australia…
 
Onto to the story, I'm sure you'll be eagerly reading through in order to see what happens and to get to the new links.
 
 
Part A
 
 
Misato wastes no time in trying to restore communication with the outside world. After fifteen minutes and a number of jury rigs, she manages to get a message out to the JSSDF. They're quickly dispatched and begin to secure the GeoFront…
 
 
While that's going on, any of the injured that hadn't had surgery now go in. Rei remains at Kensuke's side, along with his father, Ryu Aida. In another corner of the infirmary Hikari and Toji's fathers talk with their children about what just happened… both parents are happy their kids were unharmed in this attack and even fought back…
 
In the back of the infirmary, Asuka gets treated for her wounds, which consist of a few minor cuts scattered across her body. The red marks around her neck from her near strangulation have begun to fade but are still plainly visible to a very worried Shinji, who's still reeling from the near death of his girlfriend.
 
“I'll be fine…” Asuka comments after noticing Shinji staring at her neck. “That and a few scrapes, nothing the invincible Asuka Soryu can't handle…”
 
Shinji says nothing but tries to smile. Mitsumi approaches and hooks up an IV to Asuka's right arm.
 
“This will take one hour… it's just to get your fluids back up and to beef up your immune system. When it's done, call me and you're free to go.”
 
“Thank you…” Asuka says politely to the head nurse, who happily nods her head in return. “It's nice to see you back, Asuka…”
 
Feeling a joke coming on, Asuka has a few words to say about that. “If I can't kill myself, then no one can…”
 
A small chuckle comes from both Shinji and Mitsumi and then the nurse leaves the two alone. `That's Asuka all right… if there was any doubt left, it would've been removed with that comment.'
 
 
Once Mitsumi is out of sight, Asuka decides now's the time to talk with Shinji in private about the recent separation the two had.
 
“Shinji, can you close the curtains please?” the redhead says sweetly, causing Shinji to go into action immediately.
 
`I miss that voice of hers… I'm glad she's back…' Shinji thinks as he closes the curtain. The Second Child then motions him over to the left side of the bed…
 
Liebchen… I want to talk with you…”
 
“Okay…”
 
“Get up here…” Asuka says while patting the bed. “I want to hold you…”
 
“Is there room?” Shinji asks innocently.
 
“You calling me fat?” is the half-serious reply back.
 
“No… I know you're not fat…” Shinji says, trying to avoid a conflict. `Never call a girl fat, never… even I know that…'
 
“Fine…” Asuka slides over a little, making enough room for Shinji to get on the hospital bed. “This bed is a little larger then normal… so it can hold both of us.”
 

Satisfied by her response, Shinji hops onto the bed and rests his head on the pillow, his eyes looking up at the ceiling. Asuka places her left arm around his shoulder and pulls him closer.
 
“That's better. There's a couple things I want to ask you, Shinji.”
 
Turning his head to face the now smiling redhead, the Third Child feels his guard go down. “Go ahead…”
 
“Well… first of all, I want to ask you a question about what happened a little while ago.” Asuka decides to be blunt and to the point with her question. “Why'd you grab my ass, you naughty boy? And in front of everyone, no less…”
 
“It was umm… to make sure you were you. The way you reacted, umm…” The nervous Shinji pauses for a moment as a red blush crawls across his face.
 
“Go on…”
 
“As I was saying, the way you reacted proved to me that you were you. Do you think your evil clone would've liked all of that physical contact from me… the hair touching and then the umm… ass grabbing…”
 
“Hmm…” That comment causes Asuka to ponder his response for a moment. “Now that you mention it, that makes sense. She wouldn't have blushed, or she'd have smacked you for being such a pervert, at least in her eyes. You're right, the fake me would've probably kicked your ass for doing that…” Asuka says that last part with a grin, causing Shinji to roll his eyes.
 
“I missed ummm… touching you, too… so I guess it wasn't all because Misato asked me to prove you were you…” Shinji admits, wanting to be honest with Asuka.
 
“I am very cuddly, squeezable, and irresistible… right?” Asuka says while put on her best “cute” face.
 
“That sums it up pretty well, actually…”
 
“Good. I miss touching you, too…” Asuka says while gently running her fingers along Shinji's right arm, causing him to close his eyes. “I see you're the real Shinji… you like my touch…”
 
“Don't joke like that… there better not be any more clones out there.”
 
“I guess you're right. Let's relax together until this IV is done… and then we can figure out what to do next. I heard Commander Fuyutski talk about the apartment getting bombed out…”
 
“That's what Toji and Hikari told me… they got assaulted by troops trying to break in. Both of them shot several people…”
 
 
That gets Asuka's attention. “Hikari shot people? I know she was decent at the target range and with the simulation program, but it's kind of hard to believe that she shot people…”
 
“I guess all of us… you know… shed blood today. We had no choice, though…”
 
Asuka sighs. “I got a few today myself… on the way to face my clone. I don't think any of us will ever be the same after this attack… we've all killed…”
 
 
That sobering fact hits both teens hard, both silently think about that as the IV continues it's slow drip…
 
“Whatever happens, Asuka… ich liebe dich…”
 
Ich liebe dich auchLiebchen…”
 
 
 
 
About an hour later, Misato decides to check in on her two charges and is surprised to find both teens in the hospital bed, asleep next to one another.
 
`I see they've already made up… or they're definitely working on it. They look cute sleeping like that…'
 
 
Misato walks over to the bed and gently touches their hair, then walks away and closes the curtain again. `I think it's better to just let them rest. There's a lot of work to do…'
 
“Commander…” Kaji says with a grin. “How are those two?”
 
Misato winks back. “Oh they're fine. I think they've made up… they are sleeping together again after all.”
 
Appreciating his soul-mate's humor in this situation, Kaji winks back. “That's always a good sign, dear. I just got a report from the JSSDF, they've captured some of the escapees…”
 
“Good… but they still could be hiding in the corridors or lurking around here still… I don't feel safe quite yet…”
 
“That's a good point. I'll contact the Commander of the above ground forces and have him start sweeping down, level by level. It's not like they don't have maps of this place…”
 
“Yeah… I remember last time…” Misato says grimly. “Okay… I'll be working with Commander Fuyutski on the main computer. You keep working the comms and let me us know what's going on…”
 
“Yes ma'am…” Kaji says before heading back to work. Misato sighs aloud and then looks around at the room, which is mostly filled up with injured and wounded personnel.
 
`We made it… though a lot of people got hurt and killed. Those bastards never give up, do they?'
 
After shaking her head, Misato heads into a nearby room and sits down next to Kozo, who notices her mood almost immediately.
 
“Something wrong, Commander?”
 
“Oh, it's nothing. I'm just pissed off right now… those people don't know when to quit, do they?”
 
“The old men are getting desperate. I guess they want to run the earth, since they're `stuck' here with the rest of us…”
 
“I guess you're right… but I think getting us is more of a revenge thing…” the purple-haired Commander says while tapping a few keys on the keyboard. “We're everything that's left that could stop them.”
 
“We have all of the cards, as Commander Ikari would say. All of the winds and dragons… we just need to find them…” Kozo says. “All of the former NERV bases have been stripped… and all of the material they had was shipped here.”
 
“True… that did limit their options. I'm sure they had a back up plan before the failed Third Impact… and it's been months, so they've had time to build up some kind of defense…”
 
“Without knowing where they are… we have no idea how much of a defense they have…” Misato brings up another screen. “But we're really narrowing it down. Kaji had just eliminated Alaska as a possibility… so it has to be somewhere in Northern Canada, above 60 degrees North…”
 
“Then we're onto something… they attacked us just after we got to that point…” Kozo says, drawing the obvious conclusion. “We'll get them… we just need sometime to recover over here…”
 
“Yeah… time…”
 
 
While Misato and Kozo work on some tactical plans and coordinate the sweeping of the headquarters by the JSSDF troops, Mitsumi takes a moment to talk to Rei in private. `I was going to talk to her before this attack… but now's a good a time as ever.'
 
 
“You wish to talk to me?” Rei asks, wondering why the Doctor invited her into her office.
“You're a very lucky girl Rei…" the head doctor told her with a smile.
"Why is that?" she replied as after having the past several days of almost debilitating pain, she was not sure she could call that lucky.
"Your body has stopped growing it seems, so the pain should go away. There's more to this, though- it seems you are lucky with more than just that."
Rei could not help but smile at the thought of the pain finally ending. "That is good news."
"Yes, but I am surprised. Since this started I had been worried that your skin would not keep up with the internal growth, and though I was right, you have not developed any stretch marks."
"Stretch marks?" the girl asked as she looked over herself.
"Yes, you see it is most common in pregnant women. But essentially, if your internal body grows at a rate that outpaces the skin, then stretching of the skin could occur."
The doctor then pointed to the younger girls chest. "Your chest size has increased, and yet the skin is undamaged. I had been worring about that, but when you came right before the attack I found out why you had not developed them."
After hearing all of this, Rei is very curious about why and asks: "Why is that?"
To Rei she had not even thought about such things, but to hear she had been lucky to not develop them, it made her glad inside.
"At the beginning of your examination I noticed that a oil had been applied to your skin. This oil has relaxed it enough to allow it to stretch and grow without the tearing that's usually common."
The blue haired girl absorbed this as the doctor undid her coat and unfastened the bottom buttons of her blouse. "You see Rei, these are stretch marks..."
 
Mitsumi then showed the young woman several marks on the sides of her own stomach wher the skin was pitted and marred slightly.
"When I was pregnant, my daughter grew faster than my skin, causing this to happen," she told the attentive girl as she fastened up her clothes.
"My daughter is about your age now I would guess... well what age your body should be," the doctor quipped as she had been told of Rei's origins as a way to better learn how to treat the girl.
Rei stayed silent as she thought of this, though she did smile. She could remember all of the times Kensuke had given her massages and how through all of this, he had used various oils on her to help relax her. While he did not touch her breasts directly, he did massage the sides of them while he massaged her back and sides.
"Yes doctor... I am lucky..." she said softly thinking of him. He had been there for her when she needed someone to talk to, and he became someone she depended on heavily, especially lately. She had been disapointed several times when Kensuke had refused to put his hands on her chest directly, he did pour some oil on them for her to rub in. She still wondered why he looked ready to pass out with just that, but the results were obvious- it had kept her from getting these stretch marks.
"Well Rei, you are free to go. I just wanted to have a quick chat with you. It's good to see you back… and if you have any questions, feel free to ask me." the doctor told her good naturedly and then added: "Tell your mom she is overdue for me to check to see if you have a new sister, or brother."
"Thank you, I..." the First Child stopped in her tracks and all thoughts of Kensuke vanished. "A new sister or brother?"
"Yes, your mother is at that time in her pregnancy where I can test her to check the childs gender. Do you know why she hasn't come in?”
"A new... sister... or.. brother..." the once stoic and emotionless girl said with wide eyes and looked ready to pass out.
"Rei? Are you okay?"
"D-does... does this mean mom is pregnant?" she stuttered out.
"Yes, I thought she told you... oh dear..." the doctor said suddenly as it became painfully obvious to her that Rei knew nothing about this.
“Perhaps… she did not want to trouble us…”
“Maybe… but you'll have to ask her. I'm sorry if I cause any problems because of this…”
Rei shakes her head. “Do not worry… I'm sure she would've told us eventually… or her belly would've given that fact away.”
“I have to get back to the other patients… I'll talk to you later, Rei…” Mitsumi excuses herself and leaves the room. Rei sits there for several minutes and ponders all of the new information she's just heard about in the last few minutes...
`Kensuke has saved my looks and my skin with his loving care. I owe him so much… I hope he'll be back on his feet soon. Mom is pregnant… and I will have a new brother or sister later this year. There's only one thing standing in the way… and that's SEELE…'
 
While doing her rounds, Mitsumi stops by Asuka's bed and as gently as possible, removes the IV from her arm. The young woman moves a little but otherwise doesn't react…
`She looks so cute, snuggling up to her boyfriend like that. I'm glad they're both okay… this has been one day from hell for all of us…'
 
After closing the curtain, the head nurse continues her rounds and then pays Misato a visit. She tells her about the talk she just had with Rei… and the fact that she told Rei about the pregnancy under the assumption that the young woman already knew…
“Don't worry about it… I'll tell all of them later today. I didn't want them to worry about me at all… they've got enough to deal with as it is. As for the baby's gender… Kaji and I already talked about that…”
“What's your decision, Commander?” Mitsumi asks, wondering what her choice will be.
“We've decided to keep it a surprise… so please don't tell me or any of the kids, okay?” Misato says with a smile. “I was surprised that I could even get pregnant in the first place… so I want the suprises to continue, since they're good ones.”
“No problem. Is there any more news from the JSSDF?” a curious Mitsumi asks, wondering about their progress.
“Well… they're clearing the base as we speak. Their troops are all over the GeoFront, so any troops in hiding should be removed by the end of the night. I'd say we can start restoring the key systems tomorrow in the Secondary Command Center and be back up not too long after that…”
Commander Fuyutski decides to interject a comment. “The cleanup will take a lot longer then that, however…”
“Yeah… there's blood everywhere… several areas have major damage, including my own apartment here. I'll have to move the kids into another one… it's totaled…” Misato says with some slight disgust at the end.
“Not to mention all of the areas that are now filled with solid Bakelite…” Kozo adds. “At least the MAGI are safe… dead men can't attack after all…”
“Amen to that. I'm going to take stock of what we have left down here… I know secure housing is a big issue right now. If there are people that aren't injured, we can move them out of our `safe areas' once we get clearance.”
Agreeing with that thought, the Sub-Commander starts inputting commands into the computer in front of him and reviewing the results. “I think we have enough for everyone to stay on base- we don't want anyone to leave until all of this is over. We may have to pair up people and more to fit everyone according to this…”
“Hmm. I see what you mean…” the curious Misato says while peering at the other computer screen. “I want one of those VIP suites… it'd be perfect for me and the kids… and it has good security and location…”
“Okay… it'd be best if your group of eight stays together. The pilots are a high priority after all… and they need to relax and recover. At least things between them are getting better, you said that Asuka and Shinji were back together?”
 
Happily, Misato nods her head. “It certainly looks like it… and once Kenuske is back with us, Rei will be happy as ever. I'm sure he'll recover quickly…”
“Indeed. He's really a brave young man to do what he did…” Kozo says, showing admiration for the new Fifth Child.
“Yeah… I'm starting to see a lot more in him- and I'm really getting to understand what Rei sees in him. If he had died, I don't know what she would've done…” Misato says with a touch of sadness at the end.
“Given her current emotional state, I would agree.” The sub-Commander points at the screen. “Since we have all of the data available on our current housing situation… and there's nothing else to do until the JSSDF is finished, we should work on assigning new living arrangements…”
“Sounds fun. We are having a little bit of a housing crisis here… and I'm sure everyone wants to relax… and recover what just happened here. I'd love a hot shower right about now…”
A/N: That last line was inspired by the current housing crisis in the United States, though it's not a lack of housing but an overabundance in the real life case…
Hitting a few keys, Kozo brings up a current list of NERV personnel that are confirmed to be alive. “Let's start with our key personnel and work our way down the list…”
“Okay…” One of the first pair of names on the list cause Misato to grin. “I'll take care of this one…”
A curious sub-Commander looks over at her screen. “Hmm… oh, I see. You are a matchmaker, Misato…”
“Of course I am…” is the reply back, along with a wink. “There's nothing wrong with that… and this could really help Maya and Aoba. I know they'll both been complaining about not having enough time lately… now they'll see each other all the time. It makes sense to me…”
“Of course…” Kozo scans the list and finds the next set of key personnel. “I have an idea for this set… along your line of thinking…”
That gets Misato's attention. “Oh?”
“We do have two other VIP suites in the area, one of which I'll be taking for Commander Ikari and myself. The other one might be best used by our other four high-level techs…”
“Let's see… that's Hyuga… and then…” Misato gently elbows Fuyutski. “That's bad, sir. Even worse then my suggestion…”
“Think about it. Do you think those three women will want to be apart from him? You have seen how they always spent time with him after work… and now he's saved their lives. I'm doing everyone a favor…” A small grin forms on Kozo's face as he assigns the suite to the four. “I'm sure Aoi, Kaede, and Satsuki won't complain…”
“You're right… I think they'll be thanking us later…” Misato says, wholeheartedly agreeing with his comment.
 
The pair continue down the list, assigning the others to the apartments and units that remained undamaged during the assault, though none of the other entries solicits a response like the first two assignments. Not too long after they finish, a report is received from one of the JSSDF officers, indicating that it's safe for personnel to wander around the base…
 
“That's good news…” Misato says with a sigh of relief. “I'm going to start handing out housing assignments…”
“Good idea. I'm sure everyone will be happy to see you, especially with good news like that. I'll stay here and continue monitoring things from here…” Kozo says before returning to his task at hand.
 
Full of new energy and vigor, Misato starts making her rounds in the infirmary, finding all of the personnel that are waiting around and aren't injured. All express their thanks and are glad to hear the news about it being “safe” again… and having a new place to go to. When Misato gets to the middle of her list, she finds three familiar names are together…
 
“Excuse me, but I have your new housing assignments…” she says, addressing the group in front of her.
“Really? I'm glad to hear that… my daughter Azaka wants to get out of here for a while… it's a little depressing…” Takeo Suzuhara says, happy about the news. The young girl and Toji both turn and look at the purple-haired woman…
“Thanks Misato… I think we all need a break from being stuck in here…” Toji says while gently patting his little sister on the head.
Azaka is also happy to hear that. “Thanks!”
“I've got Takeo, Azaka, and you, Teruo, rooming together…” Misato says while turning to address Hikari's father.
 
Hikari is happy to hear that her father will be rooming with Toji's dad. `The two need to spend more time together… after all, I do want to become Toji's husband someday…'
A red blush covers the class rep's face as her father thinks about the idea and then asks a question.
“That sounds good to me… but what about my daughter?”
“And my boy Toji?” Takeo asks, wondering where he'll be sleeping.
 
Hikari and Toji glance at each other and then gaze at Misato hopefully. Reading their minds, the Commander cannot help but know what they want to hear…
`Here goes nothing… I know the kids will like this but the parents… I don't know…'
“Ahem. Due to what happened… and in the interest of security, I've decided to have all six pilots plus my Kaji…” Misato blushes. “All eight of us are going to live in a VIP suite together…”
“That sounds awesome big brother…” is the first reply to that from Toji's little sister.
“Yeah, I know…” is the reply back from Toji while he glances at Hikari. “It's really awesome…”
“I umm… like that idea, too…” Hikari says nervously, not wanting to show how much she likes the idea… and how much she wants to be with Toji.
“You still want my daughter to be with…” Teruo pauses to avoid saying the “wrong thing”. “To continue being with her boyfriend in that setting…”
Takeo defends his son. “Ain't nothing wrong with that…after all, they are dating… and they did kill for each other earlier today…”
“As I said before, they've been very well behaved and I've personally kept an eye on them. I think they're responsible young adults…” Misato says, putting in a vote of confidence for the pair. Hikari's father is still a little skeptical, however…
“True… they've been together before… and I haven't heard anything bad from you. I do like that they defended each other from those SEELE invaders- that was courageous. Hmm…”
Wisely, Toji and Hikari say nothing and leave it up to the adults to make this decision. Begging and pleading may have the opposite effect on Teruo Horaki.
 
After a few moments of deliberation, Hikari's father shrugs his shoulders. “I… guess it's okay. As long as they keep behaving… and they're being watched by you, Misato. I have faith in my daughter… and I think her boyfriend is starting to grow on me…”
“Oh, Dad!” Hikari rushes into her fathers' arms and hugs him. “Thank you!”
Takeo takes his son off to the side and pats him on the shoulder. “Good work, son. You made your father proud… and you're earning the respect of Hikari's dad over there. Keep up the good work… and be sure and keep on treating her good…”
“Of course… she's my girlfriend and I love her…” Toji says with a blush. “I ain't gonna mess this up…”
“Glad to hear it…”
The pair walk back over to the group and Misato gives out the room number to the three that will be rooming together. “Hikari and Toji can check with me in about an hour for their new room assignment. I'm glad we could work this out again…”
“Yeah…” Takeo agrees.
“Once again you've shown me how much of a `tight ship' you run here, Commander Katsuragi…” Teruo says with a nod.
“Please, call me Misato… we're not on duty in the Commander Center… and yes, I do take care of business. I'll see everyone later then…”
 
With that, Misato leaves and heads to the Video Control Room, deciding to spring the news to Maya and Aoba first before coming back to Hyuga's `girls'. Needless to say, the couple is a little embarrassed by Misato's housing assignment but decides to give it a go anyway. Her last stop of the evening is the bedside of Hyuga Makoto…
End Part A.
 
 
 
 
 
Part B
 
 
“I've got some good news, ladies…” Misato says, addressing the three NERV techs, who turn and look at their commander.
 
“What's that?” Kaede asks before the others.
 
“Well, Commander Fuyutski and I worked out your new housing assignment. I'm sure you'll like it…”
 
“Okay… where are we going to be staying?” Satsuki asks, getting more curious by the second.
 
Aoi has another question. “Are we going to be staying together?”
 
“Actually, yes. You three will be sharing one of our three VIP suites…” Misato says with a happy nod, setting the plan in motion.
 
 
Three gasps are heard a moment later… the three techs can't believe what they just heard. All are surprised and honored to be able to stay in such a location…
 
“Really?” Aoi asks, wanting to confirm what she heard.
 
“Yep… is that okay?”
 
“Sure, sure!” Kaede says energetically. “We'll take it!”
 
“How'd we luck out like that?” Satsuki wonders aloud.
 
After a moment's hesitation, Misato comes up with something. “We appreciate your work… and we know that you three would want to stay together, especially after what just happened…”
 
“Yeah…” is the somber reply from all three techs.
 
“I'm glad you like the idea. Satsuki, since you're not hurt, could you help move everyone's stuff over to the new place? I've got a few extra people available if you need any help…”
 
The blonde shrugs her shoulders. “Sure, I don't mind. That's what friends are for…”
 
“Good. I'll be with Commander Fuyutski dealing with some logistical issues if you have any questions…”
 
After saying that, Misato walks away… and once she's out of hearing range, giggles. `It worked… oh I can't wait to see what happens once Hyuga is out of the hospital…'
 
 
The evening moves along, bringing the final checks of the base by the JSSDF. An “all clear” is given and the compound is secured, allowing for the start of rebuilding operations. Misato and Kozo continue to work into the late night, coordinating many of the activities in the base and the environs around it.
 
Around 9 PM, a very tired and yawning Hikari and Toji pay Misato a visit…
 
 
“Misato, we hate to bother yah, but we're tired and we wanna turn in. Do we need some special code or somethin' to get into the new place?” Toji asks while rubbing his eyes.
 
“Asuka and Shinji want to turn in for the night, too…” Hikari adds.
 
 
Misato turns and looks at Commander Fuyutski, who nods his head towards the door. “You can go… I'm about ready to call it a night myself, after checking on Commander Ikari.”
 
“Thank you, sir.” After standing up, Misato motions at her young charges. “Let's get the other two and head off to the new place… and I want check on Rei, too.”
 
Eagerly, the three leave the room and head into the main infirmary, where a weary Asuka and Shinji join the group and visit Rei, who is still by Kensuke's side and holding his hands in hers.
 
 
“Rei, we're heading off to bed. You can stay as long as you like… just come back to the room when you're done. He'll be fine…” Misato says before giving Rei a hug.
 
“Thanks, mom. I'll be back a little later…” is the warm reply back.
 
The group waves “bye” to Rei and leaves the young woman alone with her boyfriend. She closes her eyes and focuses on the current situation. `Kensuke will be okay… he'll wake up soon… and let me know that he's okay…'
 
 
While the group of five heads up to the new suite, Kaji heads over there himself, having finished setting up a overnight cleaning detail and surveying some of the carnage.
 
 
Commander Fuyutski heads into the surgical wing and checks in on Commander Ikari, who's recovering from surgery to remove the bullets that lodged into his body.
 
 
“Status, Commander?” Gendo asks while adjusting his glasses.
 
“We're in good shape… the whole base has been cleared out and searched…and the GeoFront has been secured. JSSDF troops are continuing sweeps inside… that is a huge area to cover after all.”
 
“Indeed.”
 
“Misato and I have gone ahead and assigned new housing in our secure area for everyone. All of the pilots will be together in one of the three VIP suites… I've got one for us, and one for our new techs and Lt. Makoto. Security will be a lot easier… and better run with this new arrangement.”
 
“It sounds like you two have things under control. What's the status on the MAGI systems?”
 
“Operational as normal. No damage to any of the systems… thanks to that last second bakelite triggered by Lt. Commander Fuyutski. My idea stopped them the cold… and that was one of the turning points today…”
 
“Until I recover, you will keep working with Commander Katsuragi. I expect a updated report in the morning…”
 
Kozo nods his head. “Of course, Ikari. I'm turning in for the night… it's been a long day for all of us…”
 
“The old men won't be getting any sleep… unlike us…” Gendo says with a hint of a grin on his face.
 
“Indeed. Good night…” Kozo then excuses himself and heads right up to his new bedroom and fall asleep, tired after dealing with the events of the battle …
 
Gendo reviews a few documents on a nearby counter and then goes to sleep himself… knowing that the final battle isn't that far off- and that SEELE isn't to be counted out quite yet.
 
 
Midnight soon approaches and Satsuki decides to turn in for the night, after having moved all of her stuff into her new place.
 
“I guess I'll be moving Aoi's and Kaede's stuff tomorrow… I just may need that help…” the young woman says as she flops down on the bed. “Wait a second… this a waterbed? Wow… this just keeps just getting better and better…”
 
Enjoying this new novelty for a few minutes, the young NERV tech allows herself to relax and enjoy herself before changing into some pajamas and turning in for the evening. Her final thoughts before falling asleep are about her friends who got injured to protect her, especially Hyuga, who took the brunt of the attack.
 
 
A different dilemma is presenting itself in one of the smaller apartments in the block. Maya and Aoba have finished moving their possessions over to their new place… and now have to decide on sleeping arrangements- there's only one large bed. They talk about the issue after unpacking their clothes in the bedroom's set of three dressers and large closet.
 
 
“You should take it, Maya- I don't mind.” Aoba says, trying to be the gentleman and avoid a conflict.
 
“But you got cut up a lot more then I did by that shrapnel… you deserve it.” Maya says, creating an impasse between them.
 
“You have a point but… damn. Why'd she have to do this?”
 
“Misato is Misato… but it does make sense. We are going out and I umm… want to be with you. You're my… protector…” Maya says that last part softly while trying not to blush.
 
`She's got a point- she was always having me over… and asking me to spend the night in her apartment, even though it was on the couch. I've been protecting her so moving in is the next step…'
 
Aoba rolls his eyes. `I'll never hear the end of this up in the Command Center…'
Maya notices Aoba's facial reactions and asks: “Is something wrong?”
Aoba quickly regains his composure and shrugs it off. “Oh, it's nothing…”
“I know this was sudden… but…”
“It's okay Maya… if I wasn't ready for this, I wouldn't have said yes to moving in…” he says with a nervous chuckle.
“Why don't we finish unpacking tomorrow? I'll make us both some breakfast in the morning, too…”
A joke immediately comes to mind. “As long as it's not chicken…”
Maya cannot help but smile. “Yeah… I've had enough of that… and Kaji's jokes. I don't know how Misato puts up with that all of the time…”
“It could be his way of dealing with stress…”
“Maybe…”
The brunette Lt. Commander slowly leans over and rests her head on her boyfriend's shoulder. “Thank you Aoba… for saying yes…”
“No problem. Any chance to umm… spend more time with you is a good thing…”
After hearing that, Maya embraces Aoba and holds onto him tightly. She whispers softly in his ear- “I agree…”
Aoba gently caresses her hair, causing Maya to relax. The tech slowly lowers himself onto the bed, allowing Maya to come to rest on top of him.
 
“We're already going to get teased about this tomorrow… so why don't we just stay together? I don't mind… we're not rushing anything by doing this…” Aoba says, finally making a decision on this matter.
 
“Sure… that sounds good.” Maya rolls off him and makes herself comfortable on the bed. “We'll talk about it some more over breakfast…”
 
Aoba stifles a yawn. “Okay… I'm feeling really tired. Good night, Maya…”
 
“'Night, Aoba…”
 
The two techs fall asleep almost immediately, lying side by side… their hands gently touching.
 
 
The vast majority of the NERV personnel are asleep by the time 1 AM rolls around, save for night guards and a few personnel working on maintenance. Over in the infirmary, Rei has fallen asleep holding Kensuke's hands… she's exhausted from her experiences and from worrying about her boyfriend, who has still not woken up, despite prior assurances from the doctors to the contrary.
 
 
A slight squeeze on her hands awakens the 1st Child. Her tired eyes glance up at the clock…
 
`One A.M.? It's been hours since they told me that he should wake up… and he's just starting to respond now… hmmm. I have an idea…'
 
 
Rei quickly looks around the room and makes sure no one is around before putting her plan into motion. A grin forms on her face as she takes Kensuke's hands and places them on her chest.
 
“Let's see if this works…” she softly says to herself as she waits for his hands to start twitching again. Almost a minute passes before a gentle squeeze is felt, causing Rei to blush.
 
“Rei… mmm…” Kensuke says softly, imaging himself to be dead… and with Rei in a “better place”- not realizing that he's touching the real thing. The hand movement increases, causing Rei to softly moan his name…
 
“Ken-kun…”
 
 
Hearing Rei's voice makes the young man realize something… and he opens his eyes to confirm it.
 
“Rei?” he asks, his eyes rapidly blinking.
 
Rei smiles and gently nods her head. “You're awake!”
 
“Um, yeah… and umm…” Kensuke blushes as he looks up the length of his arm and finds his hands on Rei's shirt, each hand covering one of her breasts.
 
 
Despite the position the two are in, Rei feels no embarrassment. Other feelings soon overwhelm the young woman and she pulls Kensuke into a very close embrace and begins sobbing uncontrollably…
 
“I was so worried… I thought you were dead… oh Kensuke!”
 
“Rei…” Kensuke gently runs his fingers through her hair. “I thought I'd never see you again… and I thought I was going to die there…”
 
“Mom saved me…” Rei says softly. “Dad saved you…”
 
Kensuke notes that for later, in order to thank Kaji. “Oh… I had no idea. This is the first time I've opened my eyes…”
 
“I know… I was so worried that something was wrong- I was told that you should've been awake hours ago.” Rei says while lowering her head onto his chest. “But you're awake now…”
 
“Yeah, umm… thanks to you…” Kensuke says with some slight embarrassment.
 
“Ken-kun, I have a question for you…”
 
“Go ahead, Rei…” is the answer back from the young man, wondering what she was going to ask next.
 
Rei looks up. “What were you thinking… just a few minutes ago. You seemed quite… energetic with your hands…”
 
Kensuke decides to be totally honest here, knowing Rei is probably asking the question to tease him anyway. “I… well, umm… you know… thought I was dead… and you appeared to me… so I had to make sure you were real…”
 
“And your verdict?” Rei says, a grin forming on her face.
 
“You're quite real… those definitely are your… you know…”
 
 
After hearing that, Rei decides not to tease him anymore and rests her head against his chest again. “I'm so happy…”
 
“Me too, Rei, me too…” Kensuke gently rubs her back and allows her to snuggle even closer. `Oh, Rei… I'm so glad they didn't get you… I'll never let you be hurt again… I swear…'
 
 
A few hours pass before Rei leaves and heads over to the new suite. She quickly undresses and changes into some pajamas left in the room by Misato earlier in the day…
 
The clothes don't quite fit, however. Rei unbuttons the top of her pajamas and ditches the bottom part, her hips being too wide.
 
`Mom probably ordered these with my previous measurements… I'll have to get new clothes. All of my old clothes were lost earlier today in a fire, so it looks like I'll have to do quite a bit of shopping in the morning…'
 
 
Before turning out the light, her eyes catch sight of a framed picture on the dresser. Rei walks over to it and smiles…
 
`I'm glad this picture of Kensuke and I survived… and that he's all right. I'll have to visit him again in the morning…'
 
The 1st Child climbs into bed and is initially surprised by it's movement, since she had never slept on a waterbed before. The comfortable bedding and her need for sleep, however, overrule any uncertainties She curls up on the bed and falls asleep…
 
End Part B.
 
Start Part C.
 
 
The next morning finds the 2nd Child waking up after realizing there's a weight on her chest. She slowly opens her eyes and rapidly blinks her eyes before seeing the culprit in the dim light of the room…
 
`It looks like Shinji feel asleep on top of me again… and he's using my breasts as a pillow. I guess I don't have to worry about him being afraid to be frisky with me again…'
 
 
Asuka gently caresses Shinji's hair and is thankful for being alive… and being reunited with the young man, her one true love. Several minutes pass before Shinji wakes up himself, though it's not due to Asuka's touch but from something external…
 
“What the hell?” Asuka exclaims as a radio suddenly turns on and begins blinking the current time, 8 A.M. “Shinji, did you turn on the alarm?”
 
“No…” is the reply back from the 3rd Child, who adjusts his head to be more comfortable.
 
“I guess it was time to get up anyways…” the redhead says with a sigh. A new song begins playing on the radio and she decides to relax and listen to it. Shinji feels the same way and gently takes Asuka's hand and holds it…
 
A/N: I don't own the song “Finer Things” by Steve Winwood. This song is from the “Back in the High Life” album from 1987. Copyrighted by Island Records.
 
 
While there is time let's go out and feel everything
If you hold me I will let you into my dreams
For time is a river rolling into nowhere
We must live while we can and we'll drink our cup of laughter
 
The finer things keep shining through
The way my soul gets lost in you
The finer things I feel in me
The golden dance life could be
 
I've been sad and have walked bitter streets alone
Come morning, there's a good wind to blow me home
So time is a river rolling into nowhere
I will live while I can, I will have my ever after
 
The finer things keep shining through
The way my soul gets lost in you
The finer things I feel in me
The golden dance life could be
 
Oh, keep shining
Life could be better, life could be
 
We go so fast, why don't we make it last
Life is glowing inside you and me
Please take my hand, right here where I stand
Won't you come out and dance with me
Come see with me, oh, come see
 
And the lovers try `til they get the best of the night
And come morning, they are tangled up in the light
So time be a river rolling into nowhere
And they love while they can
And they think about the night so sweet
 
The finer things keep shining through
The way my soul gets lost in you
The finer things I feel in me
The golden dance life could be
 
The finer things keep shining through
The way my soul gets lost in you
The finer things I feel in me
The golden dance life could be
 
The finer things keep shining through
The way my soul gets lost in you
The finer things I feel in me
The golden dance life could be
 
The finer things keep shining through
The way my soul gets lost in you
The finer things I feel in me
The golden dance life could be
 
Keep shining, keep shining
 
The finer things keep shining through
The way my soul gets lost in you
The finer things I feel in me
The golden dance life could be
 
Dancing, dancing, dancing, oh
Dancing, dancing, dancing
 
 
“Hmm… that wasn't bad, Shinji. It almost sounded like something that you'd pick…” Asuka says with a giggle.
 
“I think you're right… but the song has a point. We should appreciate the finer things… especially after surviving that last attack…” Shinji says in return.
 
“We're not in the clear yet, Shin-chan… but yeah, you're right…” the 2nd child says softly.
 
 
The intimate moment is broken a minute later by the sound of a door opening…
 
“I heard the radio, are you two awake?” a voice calls out before the main light in the room comes on.
 
“Yeah, we're awake…” Asuka says, half-complaining. “This radio alarm went off on it's own…”
 
“Oops, that was my fault. I was testing it earlier and must've left it on.” Misato says, apologizing for waking her charges up. She soon regains her composure and takes a look at the pair's “unique” sleeping position.
 
“I see you two are really comfortable with each other again… though I'm a little surprised…” Misato says, teasing the pair a little.
 
“Surprised?” a curious Asuka says, falling into Misato's “trap”.
 
“I was expecting to see you topless again, Asuka… you two did `make up' after all…” the purple-haired Commander says with a giggle.
 
Asuka doesn't believe what just heard. “WHAT!”
 
“Misato, umm… what are you saying?” a very embarrassed Shinji asks, forgetting about his current `position' on Asuka.
 
“What kind of woman do you take me for? Did you think you'd find us having sex or something?” a very berated 2nd Child responds back.
 
“You tell me…” Misato grins. “Shinji certainly looks very comfortable there, lying on your chest…”
 
“AARGH!” the frustrated redhead exclaims. “You got me! Damn, I can't believe you tricked me like that…”
 
“I was your age once, you know, though I didn't have your “friendliness with the guys” until college and Kaji…” Misato says with a wink. “I didn't mean to get you angry…”
 
Shinji nervously chuckles. “Good one, Misato…”
 
“Are you two up for a little breakfast? Kaji and I just finished making a big breakfast for everyone…”
 
Asuka and Shinji exchange glances and then the young man gets up and sits on the bed.
 
“Sure, why not?” the 3rd Child says while rubbing his stomach. “I'm hungry…”
 
“Me too…” Asuka says, her stomach voicing its agreement with that.
 
“Come into the dining area when you're ready… I'm going to wake up Rei. Toji and Hikari are already up and waiting at the table… we'll be heading over to old place and moving what's left over here…” Misato says, putting out the “game plan” for the morning.
 
 
The pair wait until Misato leaves the room to breathe a sigh of relief.
 
“She had me going there for a minute…” Asuka says while brushing her hair in front of the large, full-length mirror.
 
“It's just Misato being Misato…” Shinji says while stretching out. “It's normal… and maybe we need some of that…”
 
“True… except for the fact that we still have to go out and get those SEELE bastards…”
 
“Yeah… but until then, we can rebuild here. Valentine's Day is coming up soon after all…” the young teen says while glance at a calendar on the wall.
 
“I almost forgot about that… I'm sure you'll be getting me something nice…” Asuka says, winking at the mirror so Shinji can see her do it.
 
“Isn't the girl supposed to get the guy chocolate and then I give you chocolate on White Day?” Shinji asks, wanting to clarify this holiday and what to do.
 
“That's the Japanese way… I want you to celebrate it the Western way. We'll exchange gifts and then you don't have to worry about White Day, okay?”
 
Shinji thinks about it for a moment and then nods his head. “Okay…”
 
“Good. Let's go eat!”
 
 
The pair head over to the dining room to eat breakfast. Everyone is out there, except for Misato, who's checking in on Rei. She finds her daughter curled up on the bed, sleeping… but is surprised to see the pajama bottoms on the floor.
 
`I guess they're too small for her now… I wonder what time she got in this morning?'
 
Gently, Misato touches Rei on the shoulder. The young woman slowly opens her eyes and looks at Misato. “Mom?”
 
A wide smile forms on Misato's face. “Morning sleepyhead.”
 
Rei yawns and then rubs her eyes. “Morning, mom…”
 
“If you're still tired, you can sleep in… there's nothing urgent going on.”
 
“I did not return until three A.M., I spent two hours with Ken-kun after he… woke up…” Rei pauses at the end of her sentence, a small grin forming on her face. Misato is curious about that but lets it pass.
 
“I'll come back around eleven, and we'll do some shopping- you know, mother and daughter time…”
 
“Sounds good… the bottom part of the pajamas are too small…” Rei says, nodding at the floor.
 
“I noticed that. You're really getting a woman's figure…” Misato says, noticing how her daughters' top is strained and one of the buttons unfastened.
 
The First Child blushes and says nothing. She rests her head back down on the bed and sighs softly.
 
“Get some rest, Rei… I'll be back in about three hours, okay? I'll move whatever's left from your room back here myself.”
 
“Thanks!”
 
“No problem…”
 
 
After giving Rei a gentle pat on the head, Misato takes her leave and joins the rest of the group at the breakfast table. Both Misato and Kaji get several compliments on the food and the quality of breakfast, which makes both feel very happy, especially Misato, who's reputation before Third Impact was not the best in this area…
 
 
About 8:45 AM, the group heads back to their old apartment, passing many blood stained walls, shell casings, and metal fragments along the way… but no bodies. That fact doesn't escape Toji's notice as they approach their old place…
 
 
“Where's all the… you know, casualties?”
 
Kaji fields that answer, himself personally being involved with that clean up yesterday.
 
“We cleaned up everything last night… it took a while…” Kaji said grimly.
 
“Oh…”
 
“Misato will fill you in on the numbers later… but it was our tactics, not our numbers that caused us to win… and a little help from `Luna'…”
 
The others know who he's referring to and silently nod their heads. After a few more turns, they arrive at the remains of the apartment… which has several “new” entrances by way of large holes…
 
“Damn, they didn't mess around, did they?” Asuka quips at the sight.
 
“No, they didn't…” Hikari says somberly. “They wanted us dead… at any cost…”
 
Peering into one of the holes. Shinji cannot help but ask. “Is there anything left?”
 
“Of course there is… or I wouldn't have dragged you all down here…” Misato shrugs her shoulders. “Well, there's a little left…”
 
“You already told us there's nothing left of my room…” the 2nd Child says sadly.
 
“Or of mine…” Hikari says, saddened by the loss as well.
 
“Let's see what we can find…” Misato says, stepping inside and full realizing the scope of the report given to her earlier by Hikari and Toji.
 
 
Cautiously, the group steps inside and takes stock of what's left, despite the carnage that surrounds them at every step. Debris is everywhere, minimal lighting illuminates what's left of the main room where they had shared so many days and nights…
 
 
“Everyone fan out and see what you can find… anything you want to take back to the new place put in those bins outside of the door…” Misato says while trying to get the lights to increase in luminosity.
 
“Which door?” Asuka asks jokingly.
 
“Wise ass…”
 
 
And so the grim work of picking up the pieces of their former life begins. It takes a few hours for the former occupants to pick up what's left of their former lives. A picture, some clothes, a few pieces of computer equipment… that's about all that's left in the pile of rubble that used to be the Katsuragi apartment.
 
Misato takes it upon herself to retrieve anything that's left of Kensuke and her daughter's possessions and places them in a separate bin. As she works, she cannot help but recall what Kaji had told her earlier…
 
 
“That young man couldn't stop thanking me enough… he really is courageous…”
 
“Rei's lucky to have him… and so are we. I think all of pilots are bold… and don't forget, you saved his life, dear…”
 
“It was nothing…” Kaji shrugs his shoulders. “It'll be several days before he'll be released. There's some physical therapy involved, too…”
 
“Whatever it takes… it'll be a while before we do anything…”
 
“Yeah…” the former spy says softly while giving his love a hug. “I've got more then two people to worry about… I've got three…”
 
“Speaking of three… I haven't told them yet. Only Rei knows…”
 
“Wait until we're settled in the new place and then we'll all celebrate the good news together…”
 
“Okay…”
 
 
While the others finish sorting through the apartment, Misato takes the bin containing Rei and Kensuke's personal effects back to the new place, stopping for a few items on the way…
 
 
“Wake up, sleepyhead…” a voice calls from outside of Rei's room.
 
“Come in…” Rei calls back.
 
“I got something special for you…” the Commander says as she opens the door. The 1st Child smiles as her mother puts the bin down on the floor. One item on the top of the open bin gets Rei's attention. “You found the picture… of Kensuke and I…”
 
Misato takes the picture out and hands it to Rei. “I know how much you liked this picture… I'm glad it survived.”
 
“Where did you find it? It looks very scratched…” Rei says after taking a closer look. “This truly lives up to its `unbreakable' reputation.”
 
“Well, Kensuke did pick military grade plastic as a cover… at least the picture itself is okay.”
 
“Yes… it is…”
 
“Speaking of Kensuke…” Misato stoops down and takes out a bag. “Kaji told me about something special you two have been doing together…”
 
 
After hearing that, Rei cannot help but blush. “Yes… that is true…”
 
Misato sits down on the bed and places the bag on the near by nightstand. “He asked me to take his place… since he's going to be out for another couple of days…”
 
“The pain is finally going away… but I could still use the massage…” Rei admits. “I am… flattered that he would think about that… and be bold enough to ask that you do this for me…”
 
“I've got to take care of my kids… both of them…” is the happy reply back.
 
“Yes…”
 
A yawn and a stretch helps Rei relax… though it also causes the young woman to fall back onto the bed.
 
“Still haven't gotten used to the waterbed, have you?” a giggling Misato says as her daughter lets out a soft sigh.
 
“No… though it's a very comfortable bed…”
 
Misato looks around Rei's new bedroom thoroughly for the first time. “It's a lot better then the old one… we all have waterbeds for one thing…”
 
“True… these are quite luxurious accommodations. How did we manage to get this place?”
 
“Your mom pulled a few strings… and you kids are the ones that are going to save the earth, so why not?” a winking Misato says. “I am in charge until Commander Ikari says otherwise after all…”
 
“You've earned it, mom…”
 
“Thanks…” a flattered Misato says while reaching for the nearby oils. “Whenever you're ready… I'll get started. We can girl talk while I give you a massage… there's a few things that I want to ask you about…”
 
“Thanks, mom… Kensuke normally does this… and I would like to have it done again now that the growing has stopped. The head nurse complemented me on my skin… she was surprised at the lack of stretch marks until I explained to her what Kensuke has been doing for me…”
 
“You look great Rei… you're like a young supermodel…”
 
“Mom…” The young woman blushes. “Thank you… I like my appearance a lot… it is quite pleasing… and curvy.”
 
“You're my daughter all right… I think you're bigger than I was at your age…”
 
Rei's eyebrow goes up. “Bigger than you? That sounds unlikely…”
 
“Ha, ha…” Misato gently nudges Rei with her elbow. “Every woman matures at a different pace…”
 
“I see…” Rei looks at herself in the mirror and smiles. “I believe that I got a jump start, then…”
 
“For someone two months short of fifteen… and having your looks, I'd have to agree.”
 
 
Rei blushes again… and then sits down on the bed. “I'll be ready in a moment…”
 
Misato watches as Rei takes off her shirt and then lies face down on the bed, motioning for Misato to begin.
 
 
Seeing that Rei was clothed only in her panties at this point, she cannot help but ask.
 
“Rei… is this how you looked each time he did this?”
 
“Yes, it is. Nothing happened, mom…”
 
“Okay…” Misato says, believing Rei but still holding a few reservations about her lack of clothing.
 
Rei senses the underlying nervousness in Misato's voice and speaks again about the massage process. “He only massaged me while I was lying down like this… he did not touch my breasts or upper body in the front… he was too nervous to do that. My legs he did both sides with the oil, though…”
 
“Oh… I had no idea.” Misato thinks about what Rei just said and realizes if that is the case, then the massage would've been a lot less sensual and temptation to do anything more would've been reduced.
 
Reaching for the oil, Misato cannot help but yawn. “It's been a long day… and it's only noon.”
 
“Yes… it has.” Rei says softly. She closes her eyes and patiently waits for Misato to begin. As Misato begins massaging Rei's feet, she cannot help but think about the person that she's replacing for this job…
 
`A long time ago, I wouldn't have thought Kensuke could be the perfect match for Rei… but he's really matured and been very loving towards her. The way he treats her- a mom couldn't ask for anything more. He's loyal… and would protect her even at the cost of his own life. I nearly lost him and Rei yesterday…'
 
A soft sigh escapes Misato's lips as she starts on Rei's legs. The young woman cannot help but wonder what's on mother's mind.
 
“Mom, are you okay?”
 
“Yeah… I was just thinking about what happened… and how close I came to losing you… and Kensuke. He's been very good to you… and he nearly died trying to protect you. Men like that are hard to find…”
 
“Dad is like that…”
 
A wide smile forms on Misato's face. “Yes, he is. Speaking of fatherhood, I need your help when I'm done here…”
 
Rei is very curious about that and doesn't hesitate for a moment. “Sure… but what is the problem?”
 
The massage continues, heading now onto Rei's back. Misato explains the situation- “Names… I decided not to ask for the baby's sex… so it'll be a surprise. I already told Kaji that he could pick out the name if it was a boy… so I get to pick it if it's a girl. I've thought about it and I need some help… between the two of us I'm sure we can come up with some good names…”
 
“I'd be happy to help mom… but I also need some help as well. Almost all of my clothes were burned in the apartment fire and collapse. What's left is…” Rei blushes and then continues. “Too small…”
 
Misato is more then happy to help out. “You're definitely my daughter.” The older woman chuckles before continuing. “How about you and I do some shopping on the computer when I'm done? Mother daughter time… and I'll help you pick out some new clothes. You need new pajamas, right?” she says, remembering Rei's fondness for the blue pajamas that she had.
 
“Yes… I was going to replace that set regardless… it was too small and had my old name on it. I want a new pair with my new name on it… so everyone can see that I'm your daughter…” Rei says the last part softly, happy about having her mom's last name.
 
“Rei… that's sweet. Maybe I should get some new pajamas, too… with my future name on it… Misato Kaji…” The words slowly escape from Misato's lips as she thinks about that and getting married.
 
Sitting up, Rei takes the oil and applies it to the front of her body, just like a usual treatment. “That would look nice…”
 
 
Misato daydreams about Kaji and getting married while Rei finishes the treatment. She waves a hand in front of Misato's face…
 
“Mom… mom…”
 
“Huh? Oh, sorry… I was distracted for a moment…” Misato says apologetically.
 
“I am finished. Did you want to order those clothes now?”
 
“Sure.” Handing Rei her clothes, Misato continues. “I know they're tight, but I don't want you walking around naked…”
 
“Mom, I'm not following in your footsteps totally…” a grinning Rei says back to that while buttoning up her shirt.
 
“HEY!” a flustered Misato exclaims. “When have I done that?”
 
“There have been a few times…” Rei says, being totally honest but making her mom even more flustered.
 
Misato stands down and shrugs her shoulders. “Well, umm… maybe you're right. Now you see why you shouldn't drink too much…”
 
“Yes, I'm well aware of the power of alcohol…” Rei says while adjusting the very snug pajama bottoms as best she can to fit. “Let's order those clothes… this outfit looks very… fanservice-y…”
 
“What do you think this is, an anime?” Misato says before opening the door. “Besides, that sounds like something I'd say…”
 
“Yes… it does…”
 
“Get dressed and we'll get right on it. It'll be fun… and then we can throw some names around…”
 
“Sounds good…”
 
 
The pair head into the spacious living room, Misato takes a chair from the kitchen and sets it down next to the existing chair, which is sitting in front of the computer. The two women sit down and Rei takes the initiative, picking out intimate clothing first…
 
“Mom… did your clothes survive the fire?” Rei asks while browsing the choices on the screen.
 
Misato nods her head affirmatively. “Yes… only your room and Asuka's caught on fire. All I need to order is some new pajamas… I'll do that after we're done…”
 
“That's good…” Rei says while taking a closer look at the bra and panty set on the screen. “I believe Asuka will have to do the same shopping when she returns later today…”
 
“I'm sure she'll be right on it… hmm.” Looking at the screen, Misato sees that Rei is still staring at the set on the screen. “That pair looks good… supportive but sexy. What do you think?”
 
“Perhaps in blue… it is very lacy and elegant… I have not worn something like that before… I was imaging what it'd feel like…” Rei says while trying not to blush.
 
Misato has an easy answer to that question. “To be confident and sexy?”
 
Rei nods her head in agreement. “Yes… perhaps I should get two sets then…”
 
“That's my girl…” Misato says jokingly. “Speaking of girl… have you come up with any names? I'm still stumped…”
 
Rei clicks to order the lingerie on the screen and then turns to look at Misato. “Perhaps a name from an anime… you seem to have an affinity for older shows from the mid-1990's…”
 
Considering the idea, Misato grins and starts thinking about shows that she liked from that era. “I really liked Sailor Moon… and so did Ritsuko, though it'd be hard to get her to admit to that…”
 
“Sailor Moon? I have heard of that show… I'm not sure if Kensuke has that, though…”
 
Knowing about Kensuke's blue hair obsession, Misato winks at Rei. “One of the inner Sailor Soldiers has blue hair- I'm sure he has the series.”
 
Rei blushes. “I guess so. Ken-kun seems obsessed by that trait…”
 
Misato decides to let Rei in on something. “Rei… I know it's more then your hair he's attracted to. I've watched you two since your relationship started… and it's deeper then that. I think he's gotten over artificial things like that… he loves you for who you are… and he nearly died to save you.”
 
Silently, Rei nods her head. `Mom is right… he likes me for who I am… and he nearly died trying to save me…'
 
Misato takes a moment to write down some names that just came to mind. Rei looks over at the paper and recognizes them…
 
“Those are the lead characters… the `inners', correct?”
 
“Yes… Usagi, Ami, Rei, Makoto, and Minako… and then there's Haruka, Michiru, Hotaru, and Setsuna for the `outers'…”
 
“Which one has the blue hair?” Rei asks, being only familiar with the names and not how the characters look.
 
“Ami Mizuno… she's the one. A very intelligent woman… just like you.” Misato says, giving her daughter a compliment. “Why do you ask?”
 
Rei blushes. “I have… gotten interested in something called `cosplay'. Ken-kun and I have talked about it… and I'd like to try it at some point. It would be easier to portray a character with the same hair color as myself…”
 
“Cosplay, huh?”
 
A wide grin forms on Misato's face. “Sounds like fun… maybe when this is all over… you and I can work on some costumes together…”
 
“I'd like that…”
 
Looking down at the names again, Misato puts a line through two of them. “I can't see myself naming my daughter Usagi… and I already have a daughter named `Rei'…”
 
“Mom…” is the reply from Rei, who blushes at that comment. “Perhaps Makoto or Minako… Setsuna doesn't sound half bad, either…”
 
Rei ponders the names and points at her first choice. “I would choose this one… I think her personality is close to yours, mom…”
 
“Hmm… okay. She's my first pick… but let's keep this a secret, okay? I don't want to spoil the surprise… if it is a girl.”
 
“No problem. Let's pick out some more intimate apparel for you… and remember not to go crazy when it comes to your boyfriend. All joking aside, I want you two to take it slow… you can have some fun with each other but don't rush things. Don't forget that Kensuke will be recovering for a while after he gets out… and he hasn't seen you in supermodel form yet…”
 
Rei blushes. “No, he hasn't. Just model form…”
 
After moving the cursor and clicking a few times, Misato brings up another suggestion on the screen. “You got that right… you're just like your mom. Let's get you setup and then we can eat dinner. I'm getting hungry…” Misato says while rubbing her stomach. “I am eating for two…”
 
“Yes, you are…” Rei says with a smile. The young woman returns her attention to the computer screen and the two Katsuragi's continue working on ordering new clothing. Misato is surprised by her daughters sudden interest in switching almost all of her basic underwear to a more intimate look but passes it off to her finally coming into her own as a woman- a woman with free will and emotions, desires… everything that makes a person a person.
 
 
After the two Katsuragi's finish on the computer, Toji takes their place, quickly and quietly ordering up a surprise for Hikari. The young man then returns to his new room and continues to unpack, Hikari being none the wiser.
 
Asuka takes a break from unpacking and finds the computer unoccupied. She quickly grabs Shinji and pulls him out to the living room…
 
“Hey, what's going on?”
 
“I need your help… follow me…”
 
 
Asuka pulls him over to the computer and then lets go of his arm. Shinji has a theory about why he was dragged there… and it's soon confirmed.
 
“You're going to help me order some clothes. After all, we lost all of them in that fire…”
 
“True…” Shinji says, agreeing with her. “Why do you need my help, though?”
 
“What are you, stupid? Don't you want to help pick out some new outfits?” Asuka then lowers her voice and speaks in a sultry, almost seductive tone. “I thought you could help pick out some lingerie, too… my naughty boy…”
 
Shinji blushes. “Oh… yeah, ummm… okay…”
 
“Good. Let's get the regular stuff ordered first… and then you can help me with the… fun stuff…” Asuka says with a wink and a giggle.
 
 
True to her word, Asuka does start picking out new outfits, mainly consisting of some new tops and new pants, though she orders some shorts as well… and reminds Shinji of the times he was staring at her butt before Third Impact…
 
“Okay, okay… you got me. I was staring at your butt… but you were wearing those short shorts and that blue sleeveless shirt with no bra, what did you expect me to do?” the young man says defensively. “For someone that claimed not to be interested in me, you certainly were dressing casual…”
 
“Geez…” Asuka sighs aloud. “You should just appreciate your good fortune that you got to see so much of me… and some of the times weren't even on purpose…” the redhead says, thinking first about her “Wall of Jericho” comment, where she inadvertently gave Shinji a several second long view of her breasts.
 
“Hmm… good point. Still… I don't think it was worth it all the time… at least, with the way you used to be…” Shinji concedes.
 
“You weren't a big prize, either… but thank goodness we both changed…” Asuka says while moving some more selections on the screen to the shopping cart. “That takes care of the regular clothes…”
 
“Yeah, umm… so you're going to umm… pick out underwear now, right?” a blushing Shinji nervously asks.
 
“Yes… but mostly lingerie. I like to feel sexy most of the time…” the 2nd Child says with a wink.
 
Feeling a need to comment on that, Shinji clears his throat. “What you had… before the fire… well, you don't have to tell me twice…”
 
 
After hearing that, Asuka decides to tease her fiancée a little. “You were snooping through my drawers, weren't you?”
 
“Well, umm… I was just curious… I mean…” Shinji's face grows even redder and he stops speaking.
 
“I'm sorry I didn't get to model it all before the fire… so I'll be sure to replace some of the stuff that you didn't see, okay?”
 
“Sounds good…” Shinji says while curbing his enthusiasm at the thought of seeing Asuka in some of her more revealing choices.
 
The young woman catches on that he really likes her suggestion, as he should. “I'm going to stick to white, red, and pink…”
 
Shinji is silent for a moment and then comments on that thought. “Your best colors… though there was one black one that I think you looked good in…”
 
“Hmm… okay. A little variety is good…”
 
 
Asuka pulls up a few webpages and cycles between them, ordering bras and panty sets and asking Shinji for his opinion for most of them. Shinji is surprised that she doesn't order anything else besides those… but realizes that their promise to Misato and the contest with Rei must be at work here.
 
`Asuka isn't trying to do anything more then have some fun with me. If she was trying to seduce me, I know she'd order stuff that was a lot more revealing then this…'
 
Asuka notices Shinji deep in thought and wonders what he's thinking about.
 
“Hey, is something wrong?”
 
“No, it's nothing. Those are all good choices, by the way…”
 
“Thanks! I'm doing this shopping so we can both have fun…” Asuka says happily.
 
“I know… thanks, Asuka… for umm… letting me help.” Shinji says, a slight blush creeping onto his face.
 
“No problem. I'm just trying to have some fun with you, that's all. I'm not ready for anything more then that… and there's no rush. You make me very happy with what you do right now…” the blushing redhead admits, pouring out her feelings.
 
Shinji gently pulls Asuka towards him and gives her a hug. “Thanks… for not rushing things…”
 
“You're welcome…”
 
 
The pair hold each other for about a minute before Shinji remembers one other thing that both need to have and wasn't ordered yet.
 
“Asuka… I want to order some pajamas.”
 
“Okay…” she says before gently letting go. “Go ahead… and then I'll order some, too. I have something special in mind…”
 
Patiently, Asuka wait for Shinji to order some new monogrammed pajamas with his name on them, just like he had before. Once he's done ordering, Asuka switches positions with him and starts typing in a familiar web address…
 
“Wait a second…”
 
“What? They make pajamas, too…” Asuka says while going to the “Victoria's Secret” website. “Didn't you know that? The pajamas I was wearing down here came from there…”
 
“Oh…”
 
“Yeah… ordinary pajamas aren't that soft or sexy, not like these…”
 
Shinji watches Asuka pick out a set of silk pink pajamas and then pick out the monogram function. She starts typing in her name into the box on the screen…
 
“Asuka… Langley… Ikari…”
 
Shinji is shocked. “WHAT? That's not your name! I mean…at least, not now…”
 
“I'm already yours… so why not?” Asuka says with a wink. “Don't you want me?”
 
“Yes! I mean…”
 
 
After seeing the now flustered Shinji fail to answer her question, the flirtatious Asuka cannot help but lower her voice to a whisper and explain why she did that.
 
“It's not official… but I like it. It's just pajamas… it's not like anyone's going to see them besides all of down here. I'm just trying to get closer to you, that's all…”
 
Shinji thinks about it and then agrees with her idea. “Asuka… okay. That's fine…”
 
“Great! I think Misato may say something at first… but I'm ready for that.”
 
 
After placing the order and logging off the system, Asuka takes Shinji's hand and holds it. He looks at her and smiles.
 
“It's the simplest things… that's make all the difference.”
 
“Of course… and that's why we'll win. Because we have love… and they don't…”
 
“That's right…”
 
 
“Ahem…” a voice calls out from the kitchen. “I don't mean to intrude…”
 
“It's no problem, Kaji.”
 
 
The former spy steps into the room and walks up to the pair. “I've got an important announcement… well, let's say that Misato and I have something to tell everyone later at dinner. She's out having a meeting with Commander Fuyutski and our other department heads… and I'm heading over there myself.”
 
“Okay…”Asuka says, wondering what this announcement could be. “I guess we'll see you when you come back…”
 
“Yeah…” Kaji snaps his fingers. “I also wanted to say `good job' to both of you, for taking the time to talk things out and make up. It was kinda chaotic here for a while with you two fighting…”
 
“That definitely wasn't fun…” Shinji adds.
 
“Yeah…” Asuka says softly.
 
 
Ryogi Kaji takes his leave and heads down to the Secondary Command Center, where he finds Misato setting up chairs…
 
“No one's here yet?”
 
She shakes her head. “No… I told them 12:30… you're early.”
 
“Oh…” Kaji looks down at his watch. “I thought you said 12 P.M.”
 
“Anyway… have a seat. I want to talk to you for a minute before the rest of group…”
 
 
Kaji sits down and begins looking at Misato, who sports a serious expression on her face.
 
“We're really lucky, you know… that we survived that attack… and got the kids back…”
 
“I know… we had a lot of casualties, too. The stench of death is going to be hovering around here long after the walls are cleaned and repaired…” is the somber reply back to Misato's statement.
 
“I agree…”
 
“So do I…” Kozo says as he walks into the room. “We lost a lot of good people in that attack…”
 
“Good afternoon, Commander.” Misato says while watching the Sub-Commander look around the room.
 
“This is the second time we've had to use this room… but at least we're not going into space this time…”
 
“No… no Third Impact this time…” Misato says while pushing the thoughts of that day back out of her mind.
 
“Who else is coming to our little meeting?” a curious Kaji asks.
 
“Well, Maya and Aoba should be here soon… Satsuki will be joining us, too. I'm thinking of promoting her and several others for their bravery…” Kozo takes a seat and then stretches out. “How are the pilots doing?”
 
“Everyone's tired… but okay. We've already moved all of their belongings from the old place to the new, so they can demolish that block when they're ready…” Misato says with a soft sigh.
 
“At least the critical facilities are intact for the most part… though it may be a week before all of the bakelite is removed…” Kaji says, remembering a report he read earlier in the day.
 
“Good point…”
 
 
The three engage in small talk and wait for the other three to arrive. Aoba and Maya enter the room first, trying to keep their resolve up and not be nervous… and then the blonde technician, Satsuki Ooi arrives with a datapad.
 
“Now that we're all here, let's get started…” Misato says, getting out her own datapad.
 
 
End Part C
 
Start Part D
 
Down in the Secondary Command Center, the departmental meeting commences. Sub-Commander Fuyutski gets to the first major point, to really drive home the seriousness of the meeting.
 
“I've talked to the other department heads and with the clean-up crew… and we lost 30% of our personnel during that attack… another 40% were injured in one way or another…”
 
“Damn… 70% casualties….” Aoba mutters to himself.
 
“We're lucky that we had been weeding out some of the traitors recently or it could've been a lot worse. I have to thank Commander Katsuragi and Mister Kaji here for their work on that…”
 
“It's no problem… but Misato and I can't take full credit for that…” Kaji says with a nod. Misato decides to say a few words as well.
 
“Most of the credit should go to our special field operative, codename `Luna'…”
 
“Indeed, Luna has proved to be quite the valuable informant. I'd like to thank her in person someday…”
 
“Oh, I'm sure I can arrange that… after this fight is over…” Misato says happily, knowing full well that Ritsuko would want to come back… the only thing she wouldn't want to deal with is Commander Ikari…
 
“What's the status on our security and camera systems, Lieutenant Ooi?” Kozo says, coming to the next point of business.
 
“Well, the central control centers didn't suffer any damage but we're low on personnel and there's been a lot of damage to the equipment in the corridors.” is the unhappy reply back.
 
“How's the connection to the MAGI doing?” is Misato's next question.
 
Satsuki immediately replies, knowing that answer without looking down at her pad. “It's in good shape, we're clearing some additional backup lines up and making some new ones through the bakelite, those should be done before the end of the day…”
 
“That's good, it seems we're back on track then…” Kaji says before tapping his pad a few times. “I'd like to report that the data I had on possible SEELE locations in Canada is also safe, thanks to a few hidden backup locations that Misato and I came up with- they did wipe some of the data off the main computers before getting blocked.”
 
“That was good thinking there, Mister Kaji.” Maya says, nodding her head appreciatively. “Otherwise, they could've set us back even more…”
 
“Yeah, the loss of manpower is going to hurt, at least in the short run…” Aoba adds.
 
“I'm working on that problem right now… and corresponding via our “Luna” source to weed out any bad ones, we should be back up to at least half strength by the end of the week…” Kozo says after reviewing some information on his datapad. “On a side note, how is everyone doing with their new accommodations? I hope they were all suitable to your needs…”
 
 
The enthusiastic blonde, Satsuki, is the first to reply to that question. “Oh, I love it! The place is so nice and the beds are so soft! The other girls will love the place when they get out, I just know it! I told them about it earlier and they didn't believe how lucky we were!”
 
“I'm glad you like the place, the Commander and I picked it out just for you three, as a thanks for your hard work…” Misato says, conveniently forgetting to mention whom the fourth room will be eventually for.
 
“Thank you both” Lt. Ooi then bows her head in thanks toward both Commanders.
 
“I want to add that I love Misato's choice of apartment as well…” the sly former spy says while winking at his love.
 
“Aww, that's so sweet…” is the warm reply back from Misato, who winks back.
 
 
Kozo turns his attention to the last two people left who haven't talked about their new accommodations, Maya and Aoba.
 
“And you two, how do you like the new apartment?”
 
Maya blushes a little before answering that. “It's great, sir. I umm… really like it…”
 
Aoba places a reassuring hand on Maya's shoulder and then smiles. “I like it, too. Whatever makes Maya happy is good for me…”
 
“Thanks…” the now even redder in the face Maya says softly.
 
“Good, I'm glad to hear it.” Kozo says with a slight nod. “What's the status on Lt. Makoto and Pilot Aida? I haven't gotten a chance to go down there and talk to them for myself yet since they woke up…”
 
“Well, I talked to both earlier and they seem in high spirits and glad the people they were protecting are okay, though they were really down about everything else that happened around here. We lost a lot of good people…” Misato says, getting very somber at the end.
 
After hearing that, the Sub-Commander is feeling a bit optimistic. “How long until they're back on their feet? I bet both will recover pretty quickly, since they have ladies waiting for them…”
 
Satsuki blushes and Misato and Kaji both silently acknowledge that fact as well.
 
“I'm sure it'll be in no time, sir.” Misato says with a grin.
 
“Indeed. Before I dismiss this meeting, let's talk about a basic strategy for getting this place up and running again, along with our plans to assault SEELE, wherever in Canada they may be…”
 
After hearing that from Sub-Commander Fuyutski, the others tap on their datapad and bring up the plans in question and begin forming and debating the current plan for both activities. The meeting lasts for another hour before breaking up for the day, arrangements are made for another one at the same time the next day.
 
The meeting breaks up and the participants head back to their respective rooms, with the exception of Kozo, who visits Commander Ikari and goes through all of the plans with him. Needless to say, Commander Ikari is quite happy to hear about the recovery times and such, though is more cautious about the battle plans…
 
“We have to be very careful… we haven't seen all of the old men's tiles just quite yet…” is his final words to Kozo before the older Commander takes his leave. `I will get them for this…and get my Yui back…'
 
 
When Misato and Kaji get back to their new apartment, they find the teens sitting at the large oak table in the dining room area playing cards with Pen-Pen…
 
“Aww, my little penguin is back!” Misato says sweetly.
 
Immediately, the warm water penguin drops his cards and waddles over to Misato, who promptly picks him up and gives him a hug. “I missed you so much!”
 
“WAARK!” is the joyous reply back.
 
“It's good to see you back… and I see you're running the blackjack table here…” Kaji says with a grin.
 
Pen-Pen nods his head and then says “WARK!” twice, indicating that was definitely the case.
 
“He's certainly winning a lot…” Toji concedes. “He already took me outta the game…”
 
“Well, that's not hard to do…” Asuka says slyly.
 
“What was that, Red?” Toji says while trying not to get angry.
 
“Come on guys, it's just a game…” Hikari says, trying to defuse the situation before it gets out of hand.
 
“Good point, Hikari. We're going to steal your ace player for a while, though…” Misato says before looking around the room for something… and finding it near the kitchen entrance. “I see they brought in his fridge.”
 
“Yeah, they dropped it off over an hour ago…” Shinji says while taking another look at his cards.
 
“Go ahead, he was winning too much anyway…” Asuka says before looking at her cards.
 
“I agree…” Rei says while taking stock of her remaining chips.
 
“Okay… but we'll be returning him later, so don't get too smug…” Misato says teasingly.
 
“Yeah, yeah…” is the reply back from Asuka while waving her left hand at her guardian.
 
“We'll order some dinner a little later, okay?” Kaji says, knowing that the teens will be hungry soon… not to mention Misato and Pen-Pen.
 
“Sounds good to me…” Shinji says before realizing something. “Just what do we have left down here eat? I don't remember hearing about any restocking of food…”
 
“You're right, we still have undamaged food on hand and we're getting more tomorrow. Let's just say everyone is going to eating some chicken tonight to use the rest up… they're having a buffet.”
 
 
Hearing that makes Misato mighty hungry, she cannot stop herself from gently rubbing her stomach. “Sounds good, dear…”
 
“It sure does… we'll see you guys later…”
 
With that, Kaji and Misato head back to their room with Pen-Pen, leaving the five teens alone. They resume playing cards to pass time and it's not longer before the door chime sounds. Almost reflexively, all five teens suddenly reach for their guns…
 
“I wonder who that is?” Hikari says nervously. “I don't remember hearing anything about visitors…”
 
“Hikari is right… we'd better check it out.” Rei says before standing up. “Will you cover me, Asuka?”
 
“Me? Sure… they can't stop us lethal ladies after all…” Asuka says before pushing her chair out and standing up. Shinji and Toji also stand up and then Hikari does the same thing… it isn't long before the chime sounds again.
 
“Who the hell is there?” Asuka calls out loudly.
 
“I have a clothing delivery for Pilot Horaki…” a female voice calls back from the other side of the door.
 
Asuka turns and looks at her best friend. “Did you order anything? I know I did…”
 
“As did I…” Rei adds.
 
Shinji nods his head. “Me too…”
 
“But all my clothes were fine and so were Toji's…” Hikari says, not knowing why there's a delivery for her.
 
“Hikari, I got yah something…” Toji admits, feeling bad that his surprise is now spoiled.
 
“Okay… so it's legitimate.” Asuka turns and opens the viewport on the door. “Enter the special code on that side panel and then I'll open the door.”
 
 
The female agent turns to face the side panel and enters in the special pass code. Asuka watches the numbers and letters from her side… and it isn't long before a green light comes on, indicating that the code is good.
 
“Okay, the code's good…” a cautious 2nd Child moves to the door entrance and enters in a code to open the door. The other back off to defensive positions as the door opens…
 
“Sorry about the paranoia… but after what happened yesterday, I hope you understand…” Asuka says, trying to bring some comedy to the situation.
 
“I understand, Pilot Soryu. Please give this pilot Horaki… and be on the lookout for another courier a little later, she will have the rest of the clothing ordered for this apartment.”
 
 
After giving Asuka a box, the young woman bows and then takes her leave. The now curious redhead backs up and then closes the door… all five teens breath a sigh of relief and then stare at the box.
 
“So, Toji, what did you get Hikari?” Asuka says while nudging the 4th Child with her elbow.
 
“It ain't none of your business, Asuka…”
 
“One of those kind of gifts, huh?” Asuka says with a wink. “I had no idea you and Hikari were so far along…”
 
“It's not like that!” the now blushing class rep protests loudly. “Right, Toji?”
 
“Of course, I didn't order anything perverted… I don't know what you're thinking…” Toji says firmly.
 
“Asuka, I think he's telling the truth…” Shinji says while gently putting his hands on her shoulders. “Let him have his surprise…”
 
“Thanks, Shin-man, I appreciate that.” Toji then walks up to Asuka. “If I tell yah what it is, will you stop teasing us?”
 
“Of course…” Asuka says before leaning over towards her fellow pilot. “Whisper it in my ear…”
 
Hikari watches Toji whisper a few words into her best friends ear. Asuka nods her head and gives him the box. She then utters some… unusual words.
 
“Very good, I think your learning Toji… that's a great gift- very appropriate for the level you guys are at…”
 
Rei's eyebrows go up. “Did Asuka just compliment Toji?”
 
 
Shinji starts laughing and even Hikari grins a little. Asuka, however, is not amused. “Of course I did, what is it a sin to give out a compliment every now and then?”
 
“No…” Rei says, a broad smile forming on her face.
 
“Geez…” Asuka shrugs her shoulders and sighs. “I swear you're becoming more like your mother everyday…”
 
Rei nods her head and takes that as a compliment. “Yes, I think so too. I don't think that's a bad thing…”
 
“As long as you don't start drinking and following anymore of her bad habits…” Asuka says, her voice trailing off at the end.
 
“I believe that mom is making an effort to change… and she has not had a drink in over a month…” Rei says, defending Misato.
 
“Rei, how do you know that?” a curious Shinji asks of his sister.
 
 
Rei is silent for a moment, mentally replaying what the head nurse told her earlier in her mind. `They don't know… that mom is pregnant…'
 
“There's something that mom has been meaning to tell you… but hasn't yet. Perhaps we should all sit down…” the 1st Child says before walking back to the table. The other four teens, curious about what Rei has to say, follow right behind her and take a seat at the table.
 
“So, what's the big secret?” Toji asks, wondering what the blue-haired girl has to say.
 
Rei gets straight to the point. “Mom is pregnant… that is why she is hungry all of the time… and has mood swings…”
 
The only response back to that is silence… the other four teens are very surprised to hear that news.
 
“Wow… that's great!” Hikari says, breaking the uneasy silence. “I thought she couldn't get pregnant, though… I remember her mentioning that to me before…”
 
“Same here…” Asuka says, remembering some of the conversations that she had with her guardian.
 
“Well, I guess she can… so that's cool, I mean, I think she'd make a great mom…” Toji says, earning a smile first from Hikari and then from the others.
 
“I'm happy for her… she's got a second chance at life thanks to us… and now she can do something she couldn't do before… it must've been that wish that healed her, just like it healed Toji…” Shinji says, realizing the ramifications of what he just heard.
 
“Yes, that is what happened.” Rei walks over and gives her brother a hug. “Thank you for helping mom out…”
 
“But Rei, it was you that had the power, I just made the wish. You were basically a god there for a while…” Shinji says humbly.
 
“Whoever did it, it's great news. I'm happy for Misato…” Asuka says before grinning. “I hope the world's ready for another Misato… or Kaji…”
 
“I don't know if it is…” Shinji says jokingly, earning a sudden tight squeeze from Rei.
 
“That's not funny, Shinji…”
 
“Rei, I'm just kidding… let go…” the young man says as Rei's hold on him tightens. “You are getting bad, just like Asuka says that you are…”
 
After feeling Rei's grip loosen, Shinji decides to reply to that statement.
 
“Only a little…” is about all he will admit.
 
“Well, I'm going to go see what Toji got me, I'll talk to you guys later…” the class rep says before exiting hand in hand with her love. The remaining three pilots head back to the card table and play amongst themselves for a while, until the other courier arrives…
 
 
“Bing” is heard and all three reach for their guns despite knowing about this arrival. Asuka takes the lead and once again checks on the visitor. The entry process repeats itself and the very apologetic courier talks briefly with the three before departing…
 
“Great! Now we all have clothes again!” Asuka happily exclaims. “I want to go try some of this stuff on… will you help me, Shinji?”
 
“Of course…” is the quick reply back.
 
“You two have fun…” Rei says as she picks up her box off of the floor. “I will see you later at dinner…”
 
“Sure… and Rei, I'd like see what you picked out… I heard you and Misato did some shopping this morning…” Asuka adds before she forgets.
 
“That's fine…”
 
 
The three pilots make their way back to their rooms, boxes in tow. Rei eagerly puts her box on the bed and opens it up. `Clothes that will fit… and feel good. I'm looking forward to trying all of these clothes on…'
 
The young woman heads over to the radio and tunes it to a special station that she had searched for earlier, a Motown one which has songs from the CD's Misato gave her back in the old apartment.
 
“The harmony of voices… is quite pleasing…” Rei says softly to herself as she begins undressing. It isn't long before she finds herself in front of the full length mirror, admiring her new physique… and thinking about her boyfriend, who helped keep her body in it's current condition without damage.
 
Walking over to the bed, Rei gets out the first set of lingerie and puts it on, very quickly appreciating the look and feel of her new selection. While she looks at herself in the mirror, she cannot help but wonder if Kensuke can handle seeing her like this… he was already quite nervous about her looks before… and she's only gotten more beautiful with the passage of time and the ending of the age acceleration.
 
`I am becoming like mom… this should be fun. Being human is wonderful… and being a woman is fun…' is the thought passing through Rei's mind as she continues to try on the rest of her clothes, just in case something doesn't fit her new dimensions.
 
 
Over in Toji and Hikari's bedroom, Toji is sitting on the bed, eagerly awaiting Hikari's return from their private bathroom.
 
`She was so happy… I'm glad I came up wit' this idea… I can't wait to see her!'
 
“Are you ready for me?” Hikari calls out sweetly from the bathroom.
 
“Sure, come on in…” is the quick reply back.
 
“Well…” Hikari says while stepping into the room. “What do you think?”
 
“Wow, it's great! You look so beautiful in pink…” is the very sincere reply back as Toji gazes at his girlfriend.
 
She blushes and moves closer, planting a quick kiss on his cheek before sitting down on the bed next to him. “Toji… these are so soft… and you even had my name put on them…”
 
The 4th Child turns his head and gazes down at Hikari, who has a big smile on her face. “I guess those button-down pajamas were as comfortable as the website said they were…”
 
Gently, Toji brushes his hand across the sleeve of her arm and up to her shoulder. “Very soft…”
 
“Yeah, I love it. I just have one tiny little question for you, though…”
 
Having nothing to hide, Toji nods his head. “Go ahead…”
 
“Just how did you get the idea to go to the “Victoria's Secret” website anyway? I hope you weren't looking for something else for me… or at those girls…”
 
“No, no… I wasn't lookin' at no girls, I just clicked and went right to the PJ's, I didn't look at no lingerie…” Toji says as he recalls how he got to the pajamas section.
 
“That's good…” Hikari sighs aloud. “Still, you could've gotten these from anywhere, why them? I'm not complaining… I just want to know…”
 
“Oh, well, Rei and Misato were on the computer before I was and they left one of the windows open and it was on that site, so I had an idea… and well, there it is.” he says while
gently rubbing her shoulder.
 
“That's so sweet…” the class rep then leans against Toji. “I like these a lot better then my old ones…”
 
“That's good, I'm glad yah like `em so much…”
 
“Toji, thank you…”
 
 
Before he can say “Your welcome” back to Hikari, Toji is tackled by Hikari, who promptly locks him in a tight embrace and begins kissing him. `I guess I can say “your welcome” this way…' is the thought in Toji's mind as he returns Hikari's affections…
 
 
Over in Shinji and Asuka's bedroom, the pair unpack their new clothes into their respective drawers. Asuka leaves out her new pajamas and pink panty/bra combination on the bed, wanting to try those on right away. Shinji notices that as he takes the last of his clothes out of his box…
 
“So umm… is that what you're going to try on now?”
 
“Yeah, I'm going for the `pink look'… and I know you want to see me wearing the pajamas with YOUR name on them, right?” Asuka says, winking at the end.
 
“S-sure…” the nervous young man says before taking the pair of pants in his hand and putting them away. “I'll wait for you over on the bed…”
 
“Good thinking…” Asuka takes her empty box and places it near the door, Shinji does the same thing and then watches Asuka take the three pink clothing items and head into their new private bathroom.
 
`She looks great in pink… she definitely can pick some nice things. I just hope she lives up to her promise from earlier today… I like seeing her act and be sexy, but I don't want to rush things, either… especially after I just got her back from near death…'
 
The 3rd Child doesn't have to wait very long before Asuka saunters back in the room, doing her best to tease her boyfriend with every movement.
 
“I love the new pajamas…” she says aloud, though it's quite obvious to Shinji that she does.
 
“I can see that… what does that say? Maybe you should come closer…” Shinji says, teasing her a little in return.
 
“Sure, my naughty Shin-chan…” Asuka walks over to the bed and then gets on it, crawling on all fours towards Shinji, who gets a view of some of her cleavage, due to the top two buttons being unfastened. “Is this better?”
 
“Yeah…” is the reply back from the blushing teen. “Asuka… Langley… Ikari…”
 
“Mmmhmm…”
 
“Sounds kind of… sexy to me…” Shinji says before grinning. “You really do want me…”
 
“I do… but there's one thing I need to get off my chest before we make up… and no, it's not my top or my bra, pervert…”
 
Wondering what she's talking about, Shinji shrugs his shoulders. “Okay…”
 
“Close your eyes.”
 
“Okay…” he says while obeying her command. He hears Asuka take a deep breath and then…
 
A sudden pain on his cheek causes Shinji to exclaim “OWW! What was that for?”
 
“For jerking off over my comatose body. You're lucky I'm not going to do more then slap you in the face!” Asuka says angrily. “You think you were the only who was messed up that day? Damn it, I tried to kill myself!”
 
Slowly, Shinji opens his eyes. “I know…”
 
“Then you also know how depressed I was after Kaji died… after I failed to win with the last couple of angels… how useless I felt. I wanted to die… and then I got shoved into my EVA, only to battle for my life and lose…” Tears flow from Asuka's eyes, dripping down onto Shinji's shirt. “The only good thing that happened on that day was you finally standing up and making a decision… and saving the world from becoming SEELE's dream and us being goo…”
 
“Asuka…” Shinji gently lets Asuka lower herself on top of him. He gently rubs her back and tries to comfort her. “I'm sorry Asuka, really… you know that I am. I never meant to hurt you… I wanted to die, too… but Misato wouldn't let me… we owe her, too… if I didn't make, then neither would you… and we'd all be goo…”
 
Asuka stops crying and whispers “Good point” before adjusting her head and snuggling against his chest. “We were both pathetic… but you've redeemed yourself to me. Have I redeemed myself to you, Shinji?”
 
Instead of answering right away, Shinji gently caresses Asuka's soft, red hair. “Of course, my naughty redhead…”
 
“Good… I want you to hold me for a while…”
 
“I can do that…” Shinji says softly. “I want to make it up to you, you know… for what I did…”
 
“Well…” Asuka thinks about it. “You can make me dinner… once we get something besides chicken back in the base…”
 
Hearing Asuka giggle after her last line makes Shinji very happy inside. He softly whispers an answer back to her while continuing to run his fingers through her hair.
 
“Sure… anything you want…”
 
“That sounds good… I'll let you know tonight what I want you to cook… but there's something else I want to say… something you already know… but I want to say anyway.”
 
That gets Shinji curious. “What's that?”
“That I… need you. I never thought I need anyone else… but I do. The Invincible Asuka needs someone else…” are the soft words from Asuka's lips, admitting something that prior to Third Impact, she never thought she'd say.
 
“I need you… I need other people… I don't want to push you away… or run away…” Shinji says, admitting something to her as well. “I never want you to leave me, Asuka.”
 
“Trust me, I never will… so deal with it…” Asuka says playfully.
 
“I'm sure I will…” is the quiet response back from Shinji. `We can be so intimate, even when doing something as simple as snuggling. I think Misato was right… snuggling can be even sexier then almost anything else we could be doing together. It's the quality time together that counts…'
 
 
“I love you, leibchin…”
 
“I love you too, Asuka…”
 
 
To be continued in Chapter 42: Yellow Alert
 
As promised, here are the links I mentioned above:
 
The three techs introduce themselves (Taken from a translation of the Raise Shinji manga): http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q231/ST_Pika/EvaISIKChoco-006.png
Kaede Agano is practicing with Shinji: http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q231/ST_Pika/NERVtechandShinji.jpg
The three techs at work: http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q231/ST_Pika/3NervTechs.png
Someone forgot to knock before entering: http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q231/ST_Pika/a4dd77d7c4023a3c778e939d65f e87a7.jpg
 
New NGE pics commissioned by me from June/Alaer-
 
Character sketch of Maya: http://shinjiasuka4ever.deviantart.com/art/Maya-Ibuki-in-Swimsuit-83748041< /div>
Character sketch of Misato: http://shinjiasuka4ever.deviantart.com/art/Misato-in-Swimsu it-83748202
Character sketch of Hikari: http://shinjiasuka4ever.deviantart.com/art/Hikari-Horaki-Cl ass-Rep-83748282
Character sketch of Rei (Contains slight nudity): http://shinjiasuka4ever.deviantart.com/art/Rei-The-1st-Chil d-83748516
Character sketch of Ritsuko: http://shinjiasuka4ever.deviantart.com/art/Ritsuko-Akagi-Li berated-83748706
Character sketch of Asuka (Contains slight nudity): http://shinjiasuka4ever.deviantart.com/art/Asuka-2nd-Child- 83748867
Asuka and Shinji visit Ayers Rock: http://shinjiasuka4ever.deviantart.com/art/Asuka-and-Shinji -at-Ayers-Rock-83749264
 
Enjoy the pictures, let me know what you think in your comments or on the deviantArt website itself (if you have a profile there) New chapter will be out soon, be sure and check with my Deviantart account at http://shinjiasuka4ever.deviantart.com for more frequent updates.
 
This is also my longest chapter ever in any story, it's 54 pages long in Microsoft Word and has 17,521 words.