Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Bonds of Survival-OVA ❯ A Scare and a Pledge ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimers:
Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc., are property of ADVision and Gainax. I only *wish* they were mine. Let me tell you that up to chapter 24, I loved this Anime, then as so many others it turned dark and painful. I couldn't agree with the ending, so I am re-writing A/Uof my other story to show what I thought would be a different ending to the series where Rei and Asuka lived. Hopefullythe creator of the series will make more movies and hopefully they will give us a more hopeful ending. Thanks to Tex james, and John Brown for pre-reading this revision! If you read the original , this and the chapters to chapter 5 are very similar, but there are definite differences,
and after chapter 5 it will be completly different as the end will be of a different tangent.
Thanks for understanding and I hope you enjoy this story.

Bonds of Survival-OVA

*NOTE: This is s BETA version, so it has not been pre-read, but with the delay of FFN till now,
I felt that you might want to have the raw version. This will be updated soon! dennisud

Chapter #3. A Scare, and a Pledge

A Scare:

The day before our journey began, I was having one of those dreams most teenage boys my age have.
A gorgeous woman coming to take me away, with the hazy outlines and the gorgeous smile.
Then it changes to the two girls now in my life. They were the ones dragging me away,
then I see Rei letting go and having a pained look in her eyes. I am concerned and reach to her.
Then she doubles over, holds her stomach and starts to whimper in pain. This is what I dreamt.

Then the sound of crying wakes me up and after I rub the sleep from my eye with the one free hand I had
(It was previously encircling Asuka's sleeping shoulder), I then take a look at Rei.
Now I sought to find out what was the cause of her whimpering.
I asked her; "Rei-chan, what's wrong ?"
She had a perplexed, and frightened look,

"I think I'm ... broken. I'm having ... abdominal discomfort ... and I am having a bloody discharge between my legs."
she answered in a more anguished tone than normal, then looked down as my gaze followed.

Now, being a teenage boy, The idea of a woman's period was mostly a taboo subject,
especially for a kid like me who didn't have the best luck with girls, ... well, until now.
So, after about ten seconds, in stunned silence I realized what was happening to Rei.
I immediately turned around and gingerly woke Asuka up and waited for one of two reactions,
either a bear hug of an embrace, or her good arm lashing out at whomever had the gaul to wake her.
She was the one who usually woke me up, so I had to wait and see which response I was going to get.

Suddenly, I found myself in a crushing bear hug. Then after exchanging good mornings and a kiss with Asuka,
I explained what I thought might be happening to Rei. Asuka looked across me to Rei's now hurting form.
Grumbling, Asuka spoke some Germans expletives, then reluctantly got up and turned the portable light near the door to our shared room.
What I saw before I passed out was approximately 40% of the lower part of the bed sheets the futon, and Rei's nightgown stained with what we all know comes when a girl's period starts!

I was out for what Asuka told me was about a minute. She tried to raise me from my unconscious state,
then finally in frustration, she threw a glass of cold water on my face, finally waking me.
After I got my bearings, I saw that Asuka had left then was walking back in our room.
She then told me to pick Rei up, bring her to the bathroom and then, lay her down in the bathtub.

I was about to stammer a protest at having to get near or step on the "Stuff".
Asuka grabbed my face by it's sides and with a clear view she said
"Listen Baka Shinji, I don't like this situation any better than you, but Rei has to be taken care of.
That is what you said you wanted to do, right?" I shook my head yes!
"Good, Well then Baka, you have to pick her up gently, and bring her into the bathroom and set her down in the tub." She then closed the distance between our faces, ... by mere inches.
"Is that understood, Shinji." I again, shook my yes, and she then let my face go, and pointed to our room mate who still lay on the bed. I took a breath, and moved to the other side of the bed. I motioned for he to sit up so it can make picking her up easier. She complied and I gingerly picked her up.

A pained gasp escaped her mouth as I carefully stepped through the room.
I maneuvered her around the now stained futon and carefully passed the door as I made my way to the bathroom with Rei in my arms. She was surprisingly light ,though a bit heavier since the time after the fifth angel attack, where I picked her up after we left her entry plug. It felt nice carrying her, though i was much more careful as she was in pain.

I carefully put Rei down in the tub, then Asuka sent me out of the bathroom with a demand to make breakfast
while she helped Rei clean up and explained the significance of the menstrual cycle to her.
Asuka later told me that the talk they had was more of a confirmation of information
on a woman's period rather than telling a girl who had no knowledge of it.

The Talk (The details Shinji wasn't told!)

This conversation was later told to me by both of them.

"OK, Rei, let me as you what you know of a women's menstrual cycle."
Asuka said as she helped Rei talk her bloodied clothes off and start the shower.

"Dr. Akagi did give a simple explanation to me, but did not go into detail."
Rei said in her normal quiet tone.

"Wait, why didn't she explain this in detail? All women have to go through this.!"
Asuka was now angry, not as much at Rei, But at the deceased blond Doctor.

"To Dr. Akagi, there was no need to explain it to me." was Rei's reply.

But, ... why?" Asuka then saw Rei put her head down and then said the following in almost a whisper.

"I was not designed to have a uterus nor ovaries, since I was to hold the Angel Adam embryo in my abdomen.
Though I did not know that then." Then Rei shed a single tear. Asuka seeing this hesitantly ut her hand on her former rival's shoulder. "You mean you weren't supposed to have children, Rei?" Asuka the instantly regretted saying the question. Because within a few seconds, she felt Rei shake as she silently cried.
Without thinking Asuka got in the shower still in the shirt and panties she wore to bead and hugged the now distraught girl. "I'm sorry Rei, I shot off my mouth before I could think. Sorry." Asuka then for the next few minutes held Rei as she cried herself out, while never making a sound.

Then Asuka realized something.
"Rei, If you didn't have all the plumbing to have a kid, well then, why are you having your period now?"
Rei stopped shaking and slowly faced the girl holding her and had a confused look on her face.
"Can you clarify what you just said, Asuka. The German girl sighed, but kept her composure as she answered Rei.
"You are having, you period, right?" Rei nodded yes.
Any woman who is menstruating normally means that her reproductive organs are functioning because of the shedding of the things needed to carry a child, right." Again, Rei nodded yes. Then something Asuka had never saw before happened, Rei Ayanami, the emotionless clone, and half angel, taught not to show undue emotion by the Most stoic Gendo Ikari had a real smile on her face, and before she knew it, Asuka was being hugged by The blue haired girl.
"That means my anatomy must have changed when I left the LCL sea." Rei said as she held the slightly ruffled Asuka.
"Yeah, I suppose so." was Asuka's reply.
"Then, I need to return to the Geofront. There is a scanner that can work on a battery that can scan my body."
Rei then looked at Asuka. It's a portable ultra-sound machine, and I will need your help Asuka to check if I indeed have a uterus, and ovaries." Asuka then grabbed Rei and forced her away from her.
"Wait, Why would I help you to find that out?" Then the smile disappeared from Rei's face.
"I thought you wanted me to have the chance as you do to be a mother some day." Rei then drops her head.
"I must have been wrong then. Will you at least explain the procedures on the use of pads and tampons"
Rei had her emotionless mask back on as completely ignoring the fact that she had cried only a few moments before.

Asuka stubbornness got the best of her again. "Ah, Rei, ... please I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be , well bitchy just then, but it's gonna take me some time for me to get use to us being together, and that you being more normal, well that bothered me some what." Rei relaxed as Asuka continued.
"But, tell you what, Rei. We'll send Shinji to get some more supplies right before we leave Tokyo-3.
And while he's doing that, we'll go back to Nerv's Infirmary, and get the portable scanner. Will that be OK with you?"
Rei, though not smiling, nodded affirmatively. Then, after a moment Asuka then finished helping Rei clean herself.
Both then got out of the tub, turned off the water, and Asuka sat Rei down on the seat next to the shower,
(The Japanese have the water closet separate from the Washing area)
while Asuka explained the Ins and outs of feminine hygiene!

I later found out that Rei, was designed not to have ovaries, therefore could not have children.
So was told that the women's menstrual cycle wouldn't have affected her.
Asuka had to review the process, as well as the maintenance involved.
She also discussed rather begrudgenly the physical and emotional effects that a period has.
Rei as always took all the information in and kept asking clarifying questions of a now flustered Asuka,
who went about describing, in intimate detail the affects of said discharges if not curbed!
By the time she was finished Rei understood and had been cleaned up and was not prepared!
But she seemed a bit greener in complexion when they did come out of the bathroom.

After about 10 minutes, in which I had a nice breakfast made for the girls, I see Asuka helping Rei who was obviously in pain walk slowly to the dining room table. I quickly walked around to Rei's other side
and help her sit down. How she put up with this, while both were still recovering from the injuries they woke up with, I'll never know. Though except for their arms, they were pretty much now healed up.

After we all sat and started eating, Asuka spoke;
"Shinji, We will need to wait 'til next week to take our trip"!

I was perplexed. I then asked "Why?"

She answered, "Because since this was Rei's first period, she won't be able to move around very well,
and she will have painful cramps for the next few days." I saw the way Rei looked even paler than usual,
and the begrudged concern in Asuka's face, I then agreed.
So, we pushed our planned start for our trip one week.

Over the past weeks both girls have stopped fighting, well I mean they still had arguments,
but not like the way they reacted to each other before Third Impact.
I also saw in Asuka a small change in the severity of her remarks to me and even more to Rei.
Now let me make this clear that Asuka still bit my head off when I made a mistake, or when Rei had frustrated her.
But the intent behind her remarks was much less spiteful, and more like a stern older sister lecturing us because we made a mistake and had to be told what should be learned from it.
It wasn't a simple case of lashing out because she wanted us to feel her inner pain of worthlessness she had
before Third Impact. This changed was noticed not only by me, but by Rei as well.
And that in itself shows that Rei who wouldn't have cared how Asuka felt before, had changed as well.
I had noticed that change as well.

After breakfast, we helped Rei to the couch, got a heating pack for her stomach and start some of the nature video she had come to like. (One of the things we found was a portable generator, which we placed in the next door apartment. We had enough fuel to work all the major appliances including the TV and VCR.)
Asuka then sends me to the nearest drug store to get pain medications to help with Rei's cramps
and to help her be more comfortable.

A morning Discussion:

What follows is what the girls talked about during my absence, I again found out much later about this!

Asuka and Rei now sat in the living room both watching the nature video.
Asuka had been mulling over just what and how to begin her talk with Rei. Especially after the revelation in the bathroom.

Finally she just dove in!

Asuka started; "Well how do you feel now Rei?

"I am fine Asuka, though I still feel some abdominal pain." Rei answered while still keeping her eyes on the TV.

"That's normal. Remember what I told you in the bathroom, the pain you feel is simply you body getting rid of the materials your uterus uses when a baby is made." Asuka answered her, but she turned her head as she did.

"You mean conceived." (After a long pause) "This does prove the fact that I can conceive a child if Shin and I ... "

Asuka quickly Interrupted " ....Yes, you can have a baby just like me too, Rei (Asuka was a bit peeved, but nothing like she could have been before third Impact.). "So, you just need to take it easy for the next few days, let nature take it's course and let your body do it's job. "Then a thought , no a fact now occurred to Asuka.
She asked; "Well, guess your not a doll anymore, ha Rei!"
This statement brought out a slight smile of appreciation from Rei to her room mate , and now friend.
(Yes she can call her that now)
Rei knew that this conversation the two were having wouldn't have happened in the same way before.
A little while later Rei asked a question after agreeing to Asuka's asking her if she wanted more potato chips
"Asuka, when will you be one with Shinji?" in a quiet and normal tone.
This shocked Asuka so much she choked on a snack she was eating. After some coughing, a patting on the back by Rei, and a glass of water, a red faced Asuka composed herself enough to answer Rei's blunt question.
"Well. I think we all are too young for making love Rei." Asuka continued, "We need to survive our trip to Nagoya and settle to a new life there first, before we can think of doing that ... or have kids" Asuka then thought,
("With Shinji, Wow I couldn't have thought that before. But now, ... now it could be possible.
But I do need to work this situation out so we can make it to Nagoya in one piece!")
Asuka then continued, "Plus, you know as well as I do, Shinji has to grow up a little more physically, and emotionally before I or you should approach him." (Plus both of us need to as well)
"But, ". Asuka had a sneaky look on her face. "that really doesn't stop us from flirting with him or kissing him, do you know what I mean Rei? "stated Asuka with a rye grin.
"I ... understand, we can get close to him ... without becoming one and risk pregnancy. Am I right Asuka?"
Rei said with a slight blush on her face. Asuka noticed this!
"Well I think you are becoming more normal everyday, Rei." They now smiled at each other.
"Look Rei, lets make a deal!" Asuka said.
"What sort of agreement are you seeking Asuka?" Rei asked
Lets call a truce when it comes to Shinji." Asuka looked at Rei as though she knew what she meant, ... she didn't!
"I do not understand Asuka, can you explain this to me." Asked Rei. Asuka groaned!
She bit her lip, let out a long breath and then continued,
"Ok, What I mean is simple, we will not pursue any romantic interests with Shinji-kun until we make it to Nagoya and established a place to live and survive there. Then, we will then compete for Shinji's heart.
Is that descriptive enough Wonde, ah ... Rei?" Asuka's slip of the tongue did not go unnoticed by Rei who raised an eyebrow but nothing else.

After a moments pause Rei replied,
"Why do you think we are competing for Shiji-kun's affections?" Rei asked. Then before Asuka could respond, she continued;
"He brought us both back to be with him. I do not see a reason to compete. To me he has already made a decision."
Rei then calmly turned back to the TV as Asuka sat there staring at her open mouthed.
Rei quietly turned, pushed Asuka's mouth closed with her finger.
Asuka seemed in a daze with what Rei had said. Was that the real reason they came back?
Was Asuka there to be with Shinji, because Shinji wanted her to?
And if that was true, would she be able to tolerate Rei not only as a room mate for now, but sharing Shinji's heart as well? Now She was mad, not as much as Rei who clued her in on what was a plausible reason for their situation, but at Baka Shinji.

Then she thought about it a bit more as both sat on the couch. Shinji only opened the door, It was the girls who came back on their own accord. "But why did Rei think that Shinji would have feelings for both of them, and not make a choice?" Asuka turned and asked Rei that same question.
"Is it not obvious Asuka, Why would he wish us both back. If he really had decided on one of us,
would he not have wished for just one to return with him.
That hit Asuka between the eyes "Why both of us?" She thought.
Then, after a pause, "Tell you what Rei, "said Asuka, "We'll talk to Shinji when he gets back
and see if we can get an appropriate answer, OK?"
"That is acceptable." Answered Rei!

******************************************************************* *************************************

A Sudden Storm:

As Shinji was walking back from the drug store through a slow but brisk wind as the cool weather continued.
He carried a bag full of over the counter pain killers for Rei as well as medicines to help with queasiness and fever.
The requisite feminine products, and some other general supplies he knew they needed back at the apartment.
On his way home he passed an abandoned jewelry store.
He was thinking of the situation of his living arrangements with the girls and why he had brought them both back with him. "I must ... love them both enough ...to have wanted them here with me." He smiled at the realization. "Maybe I need to show them how much they mean to me." With that said aloud, though nobody was around to hear it,
Shinji entered the store and started looking for seven rings, that matched. He has made up his mind now, though the time to give them those larger rings would have to wait until they were settled in Nagoya and that Rei more than Asuka would accept this unique proposal.
In his mind he wanted the girls to have Friendship rings first, so he could readily show to them that at least they could be friends. Then after settling in nagoya, he's give them the engagement rings so they would know how he felt for them, plus why not get three matching wedding bands now for later.
Shinji was feeling that confidence he now seemed to posses since the decision he made to come back after Third Impact. He was more decisive and had more of a backbone. He knew that because of he, and the girls were also acting differently than before.
They had to, because they knew they had to adapt to survive.
But agreeing to what he was thinking was a long way from that.
So he would take it slow and see how it would work out. He knew now that he didn't want to lose either of them,
but that was still a possibility, especially when it came to Asuka and how she would react.
So, Shinji would wait, be patient and hoped that all would work itself out, especially this!
As these thoughts were flying in Shinji's head, a heavy snow storm suddenly started.
This was something he had never seen before and so he stood for a few minutes fascinated with the event.
The wind then started to pick up, as well as the rapidly lowing temperature.

This brought back Shinji's thoughts to the present, and he started running home.
("I hope I can go through with this when the time comes!")
He thought to himself as he made his way back to their apartment.
He then felt a feeling of ... dread run through him. Was the sow an omen of things to come?
He picked up his pace fearing something was very wrong and ran at top speed through the now thickening sheet of snow on the ground.

**************************************************************** *****************************************
The Apartment:

As Rei and Asuka sat on the couch snacking and watching the nature video, a feeling of dread ran through them startling them. They both gasped, holding their hands on their chests as if an invisible hand had put ice cold fingers around their hearts scaring them to death. They also sensed something was not right here.
They looked at each other ... seeing fear in each other's eyes. They felt like a great danger was coming and looked out of the balcony's glass doors. Snow was falling, something Rei had never witnessed before.
She started to edge her way off the sofa and towards the kitchen. The room farthest away from the balcony.
Asuka was wed a first Snow I japan! That was unusual. Then she turned to look at Rei and her feelings changed to concern. "Rei it just snow. It can't hurt you. You know it's just condensed water." But the frightened look in Rei's face didn't change. Then Rei finally spoke in a haunted tone.
"Asuka , didn't you feel something unusual, and disheartening just a moment ago?"

"Yeah, now that you mentioned it, I did get a feeling up my spine that something wasn't right."

"Just before the snow started." Rei added.

Both then looked at each other again. They then both made a decision, that they would go to Nagoya as soon as possible.

They also wondered if Shinji had sensed this feeling. Then they started getting very worried as the snow fell heavily and they knew Shinji hadn't returned. They grabbed some umbrellas they had found earlier, and put on two heavy winter coats on, and went to the balcony.
From there they searched up and down the street in front of their apartment in search of their one sole friend.
Rei finally spotted a running figure with a plastic bag underneath his arms heading for their apartment building.
They both made their way back inside and as Rei made her way as best she could to the bathroom to start a bath for him, Asuka pulled some clean and dry clothes for him and laid them down on their hamper.
Both felt hesitant and worried at what they had experienced, and what was to come.
When he finally got to their door, he was greeted by both of them With both almost brimming with tears and hugging him tightly..

The look of concern was evident in their faces, and they hugged him more to calm their own nerves, and then without asking, Shinji was lead into the apartment. Both pointed towards the bathroom and he understood, he handed the bag of supplies to Asuka and entered the bathroom where he found a warm bath running, towels to dry with, and clean and dry clothes to change into after he was done.
All these actions by the girls solidified his intentions and he would talk to them now before he lost his nerve.
During the time before Third Impact, neither of them would have done this for him, let alone cooperated together to do this! He knew his heart , and was going to pledge his friendship to them today as soon as he finished the bath they ran for him, and he knew he would propose to both of them as soon as they had made their life in Nagoya.

**************************************************************** *****************************************

A Pledge of Friendship:

As Shinji dressed, he pulled out the ring cases from his damp clothes, and put them in his dry pants.
he knew that the girls were planning on talking to him about something important to them.
He could hear them as he took his bath, discussing how to ask him about something.
They did seem to know that he could probably hear them so they didn't name it.
So, after he got dressed and hid the boxes in his dirty clothes hamper
(He'd get them later since he washed all their clothes, a habit from before.)
He then opened the bathroom door and headed for the living room,
after hanging his wet clothes to dry somewhat in the bathroom.
He then saw both girls at the dining room table sipping cups of tea.
They motioned for him to come and sit down, he did. Then Asuka, being her bold usual self started to ask;
Though it wasn't what was mainly on her mind, it still was important so,

"Shinji, we were concerned that you were hurt while you were out.
Did anything happen to you while you were out?"
Shinji then described his travels that day (purposely not mentioning his visit to the Jewelry store).

"Did you get a feeling of dread when you were walking home today?" asked Rei in her usual reserved tone.
Shinji answered; "Yes, ... I felt it. It felt like someone was walking over my grave, holding my heart in his hand.
I felt as if you two were in some danger, so I ran home to make sure you two were safe!"

Both girls smiled, Asuka a large grin, Rei a small but bright smile and were happy that he would be concerned for them.
Rei then said: "It would be wise to take some precautions until we see that there is no danger."
Both Asuka and Shinji agreed. All three would begin carrying side arms from now on.
With that settled, Asuka then asked the real reason they asked him to sit and talk to them;
"Shin-chan (She took one of Shinji's hand into hers, Rei did the same with the other), Shinji started to shake with nervousness, Not expecting this from the girls.
"We were discussing something that we feel you should answer for us."
( Shinji looked at both girls with a sense of anticipation as well as and a feeling of apprehension as well)

Rei then asked the question in her own deadpan delivery;
"When will you be one with us, Shin-chan?"

"..."

"..."

THUMP! The girls then pulled Shinji back to his seat holding his head groggily.

Asuka gave a surprised look at Rei!
"Rei-chan, that wasn't what we were going to ask Shinji-kun!"
Asuka said with a bit of reddish hugh on her beautiful face.
"Isn't being one with us the final goal?" Rei asked innocently.

"There's more to it than that, Rei. You just don't say that to someone without developing a relationship with them." Asuka said, slowly losing her resolve to be patient with her blue haired companion, but she kept her cool ... for now.
"Do we not have a relationship with Shinji-kun?" Rei asked still in her passive tone.
Yes, ... but ..." Asuka said.
Rei continued "And have we not had those relationships with him for a long duration of time?"

"Yeah, about a year, but Re I ... " Asuka tired to answer.

"And, have we not expressed our feelings of affection, and more for Shinji-kun to each other earlier this day?"

"REI!?!? You can't say that now, he isn't supposed to know that!" said a now exasperated Asuka pointing to a, .silent Shinji!

"Say what girls?" said Shinji now standing rubbing her forehead and looking intently on the two conversing girls!

Shinji straightened his seat and looked at them.
He calmed down, tried to focus on what the girls had asked him, and of their current conversation.
He knew that this discussion would be coming, but he didn't want it would be this soon.
Maybe Rei's period triggered this but he knew he couldn't run away from this!
But, he had to answer them, and at the same time, both girls started to have a worried look on their faces.
Did they ask too soon?
Would they drive Shinji away from them by asking this now?
They were both now apprehensive as well.

A now calm Shinji took a hold of one of each girls hands and finally, nervously answered their question;
"Now you both know that I care about you."( They nodded yes, they already knew that!)
"And, you know that we need to stay together in order to survive, right?"
(Again, they shook their heads yes!)
"So, we need to focus on having a secure home first,
then when that's done, we can think about , mmmm other things!"
Both girls shook their heads yes, but they had somewhat disappointed looks on their faces!
They both wanted him to say something more clearer like "I love you",
but they were satisfied enough with the knowledge that he cared for them both.
But then they had underestimated Shinji's newfound resolve,
and that he thought if not now then it might never happen!

The Pledge

So, he then pulled out a black felt covered box. Both girls were stunned into silence (Well Rei was naturally that way!)
Neither had any idea he'd go this far this fast, but that crisis was averted when he opened the box to show them three rings, two thin women's rings, and a thicker Man's ring. In each there were three colored stones, identical in each way but color. Each ring had a blue, white, and red birthstones. Shinji then explained that they were friendship rings.
Simple yet elegant rings that showed that the wearers to be close friends. Also, by being identical, the rings signified an especially close bond between the wearers. The girls then began to understand the significance Shinji had given
to the rings. Though not engagement rings, Shinji had signaled that he indeed intended to go past this stage after their trip to Nagoya.
But being Shinji, he wanted to take his time in getting there not just because it would be a long trip, but he wanted them all to really get to know each other and hopefully get along enough for him to pursue what he wanted in his heart, the love of them both.

But, he still did not get an answer from them as a veil of silence crept into the room where they sat.
The girls sat there admiring the rings oblivious to anything, or anyone else
Shinji was beginning to become nervous as the girls then stared into space lost in their own thoughts.
Hesitantly, Shinji finally said "Girls, ... are you two ok?"

Both looked at me, braking their concentration. Both then looked down at their hands with the rings now there.
Then, looking at each other, and nodding yes, they both hugged me.
Now words were spoken as we all hugged each other, I could not have thought of a better way to answer.
I knew Asuka would have had a hard enough time saying anything that would have shown her true emotions.
But since they have been together she had opened up more to me and Rei.
I knew that this hug was just as hard for her, so I gladly accepted it and what it entailed.

He also knew that physical contact, especially in front of others wasn't what Rei would normally do.
Knowing this, he also appreciated the hug from her as well. It had been a hard road all three had traveled,
and now these three lonely and hurt children finally had what they all so desperately wanted.
Someone to care for them, and someone to care ... for!

Then, in silence they all let go of each other, went about the apartment, getting their things ready for tomorrow,
then after a final shared snack in the dining room table, they made their way to their shared bedroom.
With Shinji changing in the Bathroom the girls got ready for bed and were waiting for Shinji who had finished.
They made a space between them, and signaled to him to lay down there.
He hesitantly did as they wanted. Then as he laid on his back, both laid on his chest and each wrapped an arm around his middle, with Rei's arm just above Asuka's, then a leg around each of his. Then without warning, the stretched up and kissed Shinji on each cheek., laid back down, and sighed.
Shinji was ...speechless, and for a moment zoned out without any reaction. Worried his nose my bleed out.
But then, he gently wrapped his arms around each girls neck, and drew them both closer to him,
where he kissed each girl on their foreheads, then on the lips, then settled down to sleep.
A moment later the two blushing girls then also joined him in the land of dreams.
This would be the last night they would have without nightmares.

*********************************************************************** ***********************************

Well, seems that things have gotten a bit more complicated, and a bit mushy at the end there. And before you say that was too quick, well I think that with everything they had to go through, they would have gravitated to each other.
Also As I said at the beginning this is an A/U of my first story, So things will change, but some of the original story will be there as well. But don't worry, the overland trip in the snow will be the rest of the story!
(See Ryan I do agree to that!) is next. Hope you'll like them. Please R&R!

Chapter 4. The Journey to a New Life

The Trio's road trip begins, as they finally leave Tokyo-3 and head towards Nagoya at the center of the country.
Will their nightmares and the worsening weather push them away from Their intended destination, ... or not?