Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Insight and Understanding ❯ Chapter the Fifth ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Evangelion Fanfiction

By Otaku D-Man

Standard Disclaimer.

Refer Chapter the First

Authors Pre-Rant -

The comment has been made regarding the contrast between themes in the story. (Angst/Darkfic and Comedy/WAFF). Essentially I feel this captures part of the essence of Evangelion. Feel free to disagree. Reviews are the lifeblood that keeps the creative juices flowing.

Insight and Understanding

Chapter the Fifth - Taking Turns

Secure Meeting Room

"Ikari. Just what is it you're planning to do this time?" The voice of SEELE 02 demanded.

Gendou Ikari, as he often did, sat impassively, fingers laced fronting his face. "Exactly as this committee has instructed. Although certain modifications have been necessary to the timeframe due to the attack by the JSSDF and UN Forces." His hands hid the wry smirk.

"Those responsible for initiating that debacle have already been removed. No further interruptions to the schedule will be permitted." Chairman Lorenz Keel spoke. Only he and Gendou discarded the need to conceal their identities. They were both quite confidant in their positions and authority.

"I wondered why the Japanese Minister of the Interior met with such an unfortunate accident." Gendou chuckled.

"If this committee had been serious, Ikari, the EVA Series would have been deployed. They still can if you try to defy us." SEELE 05 offered..

"There is no need. I have submitted all relevant reports concerning the next phase of the scenario. I assume there is no problem with the recommendations ?" Gendou showed no sign of concern over the implied threat.

"It is for that reason alone that we permit you to stay where you are. A man who would abandon his family has few places to turn to." SEELE 07 laughed.

"Enough of the petty bickering." Keel roared. The dark monoliths blinked off, a clear sign that Keel had ended the meeting. "Ikari. You can guarantee that the boy is suitable?"

The guarantee, Gendou knew, was his life. "Of course."

"I admire the man who would cast his own child into the abyss to serve his own needs. The Yui Ikari I knew all those years ago would not be amused." Keel smiled as he remembered inviting the young scientist into the inner realms of the Human Instrumentality Project.

"This scenario will ensure she will never know." Gendou replied.

"Remember Ikari, we are watching." Keel faded from view.

"Yes Chairman. But you only see that which I allow you to." Gendou smiled.

***

Katsuragi/Ikari/Sohryu/Ayanami Residence

"You Pervert!" The sudden impact of Asuka's palm had Touji on the floor.

"What the hell was that for Devil Girl?" Touji cradled his cheek in his own hand, wincing slightly at the pain. <How the hell does Shinji put up with this bitch?> he wondered.

"Just what do you think you're doing?" Asuka snarled.

"What did it look like. I was moving all the clothes out of the way for the party." Touji got to his feet yelling.

"You were trying to steal Misato's panties. You're a pervert plain and simple." Asuka crossed her arms under her breasts. "So plain and simple I don't know what Hikari sees in you." The smirk on Asuka's face only served to turn Touji's irritation into rage.

In the kitchen Hikari sweat dropped, not for the first time today, as her best friend and boyfriend continued their escalating argument. She knew better than to get involved today. <Both of them are so on edge. Hopefully with Ikari-kun back things will settle down>

"You self-centred, egotistical, stuck up bitch from hell. You keep Hikari out of this." Touji rolled up the sleeves on his track suit. "Outside now. You and me are going to settle this shit."

"Oh, the dumb stooge thinks he's got what it takes" Asuka chuckled as she added just a little extra condescending attitude into her voice.

"Got more than enough to shut your mouth.. No wonder no one in Germany wanted you. I tell you this, no one in Japan wants you either. You're just playing second fiddle to Shinji these days. Maybe even third, if Ayanami ever gets a new EVA." Touji grinned as he just knew he had touched on all the things that would get to the German girl.

Asuka clenched her fists. Her whole body practically shook with fury. Narrowing her eyes, she glared at the object of her hatred. The hatred had transcended what Asuka normally felt for the jock. It was that big, pure hatred. The type that ended civilisations. Muttering in German, the girl was about to show just what a fully trained EVA Pilot was capable of doing when Misato walked in smiling. "It's time to go get Shin-chan. You coming Asuka? Where's Rei?" Misato completely ignored the murderous look that Asuka was directing at Touji.

"You're lucky Stooge. I've got more important things to do. But we'll finish this particular discussion later. Count on it." Asuka left the living room to find where Misato had disappeared to.

"Can't wait Red." Touji grinned, not knowing just how close he had come to having his arm and leg ripped off, again.

"Touji, you're either the bravest guy on the planet, or possibly the stupidest." Kensuke, who had taped the entire confrontation, now stood beside his friend, trying to rationalise the event that had just transpired.

Misato stopped outside Shinji's room. The door was open and inside was Rei Ayanami, performing what appeared to be electrical improvement works. "Rei, I'm going to get Shinji now. Wanna come along?" Rei turned slightly towards Misato and nodded once before returning her attention to the task at hand. "Rei, just what is it you're doing?" Misato walked over to inspect the array of components that lay scattered over the desk.

"I am installing a security system for Shinji's protection." The azure haired girl replied, as if it was a natural state of affairs.

Misato quirked an eyebrow, "Security system? We've already got one."

"The existing system was severely lacking. Shinji must remain safe. I will not allow him to come to harm." Rei climbed off the desk and began clearing the tools and other odds and ends away.

Misato looked up at the small sensor array now embedded into the wall. "Just how do you intend to monitor this stuff?"

Rei produced a small hand held computer. "This Handheld Control Unit allows me to monitor and control the entire system." Producing a quarter inch diameter chrome band, "This will allow me to keep track of Shinji at all times.

"What is it?" Misato turned it over in her hand. "Looks like some sort of necklace."

"A tracking collar. Other physical monitoring sensors are fitted into it. The recipient wears it around their neck. Once it is installed, it cannot be removed. Unless the person is decapitated" Rei took the object back. "I will be finished in here shortly. I will then accompany you to retrieve Shinji." A brief smile flashed across the girl's pale features.

"Okay." Misato shook her head slightly as she walked out. <I don't know how Shinji will react to being tagged.>

Steeping across the threshold back into the hallway, Misato found Asuka leaning against the wall, staring at the ceiling. "As soon as Wonder girl's finished, let's go get the Baka." Pushing herself away from the wall, Asuka went to her room to get changed.

"I wonder if Shinji will want to stay in hospital?" Misato said to herself as she made her way back to the kitchen to see how Hikari was managing.

***

NERV Medical Centre

"Where …?" Shinji's eyes fluttered open. "Familiar ceiling. Hospital?" As he sat up he found his body tingled all over. It was very similar to a 'Pins and Needles' feeling. As if his entire body had somehow fallen asleep due to loss of circulation.

"So the famous Mr Ikari finally decides to wake up." Shinji immediately turned to find a young-ish looking woman in a coat similar to the one Dr Akagi wore, standing by his bed, clipboard in hand.

"Sorry Dr …..?" Shinji struggled for a name. Having frequented the hospital on a number of occasions, he had met most of the medical staff. He was certain he had never met this person before.

"Dr Tsukasa Subaru. Pleased to make your acquaintance." Dr Subaru held her hand out in a very western fashion, expecting to shake his hand.

Having experienced a number of western idiosyncrasies with Asuka, Shinji wasn't as out of his depth as many others would have been.

"Shinji Ikari, I'm pleased to meet you Dr Subaru." Shinji offered as much of a smile as he normally could.

The Doctor then performed the routine procedures of checking his physical life signs and began asking a series of questions to determine how much, if any, of his mental faculties were lost, impaired or damaged.

"I'm impressed Mr Ikari. Not many people manage to survive a head on confrontation with a truck. Much less survive with their mind in one piece." The doctors easy going bed side manner put Shinji at ease. Or as much at ease as he could be considering he had just been informed of exactly why he was in hospital.

"I was hit by a truck? What about Rei? What about Asuka? They were with me. Are they ok?" Shinji began to panic. It was quite possible that they were worse off than him.

"They're both quite alright. Unlike yourself, they chose not to run in front of a moving vehicle." Shinji chuckled softly as he lay his head back down.

"There is one thing Dr Subaru. My body feels strange. Like a pins and needles type thing." Shinji flexed his arms, trying to shake the odd sensation.

"I wouldn't be surprised. The techniques we employed were quite revolutionary. In all honesty, we were unsure of just what to expect." The doctor noticed his panicked expression at her comment and moved to settle his nerves. "But rest assured, we weren't expecting anything dramatic. What you're going through at the moment is probably the worst of it. That should fade with a little time and physical rehabilitation."

Shinji sighed with relief. Not that his life was all that rosy to begin with but he didn't really need any more complications than he already had to begin with.

As the doctor moved to leave she turned to face him once again. "I suppose I should mention that your friends were extremely concerned for your well being while you were undergoing the treatments. I believe your guardian, Major Katsuragi was almost prepared to begin shooting people if we were unsuccessful in bringing you back to her. From what I can understand, she'll be here to pick you up fairly soon."

"I'll be allowed to go home?" Usually he had to stay hospitalised to ensure there were no further complications, or risk of contamination.

"There's no reason for me to keep you here. Not unless you want to stay." The doctor asked with mock seriousness.

"Unfortunately Doctor, the Invincible Shinji-sama has a previous engagement with a washing machine and a whole host of other housekeeping chores." A familiar voice spoke from the doorway.

Shinji looked over to see a familiar flame haired young woman standing in the doorway with her hands on her hips. "Asuka?"

"I think I'll leave you to get reacquainted Mr Ikari. Please notify me if you feel even the slightest irregularity. I'll leave my contact information with your guardian." The Doctor explained as she excused herself.

Doctor Subaru walked along the corridor smiling. To the trained eye, her smile contained none of the joy or warmth that most associated with such a gentle emotion. <The Commander will be expecting the latest report on the Subject. The next phase will begin soon. And then …>

Asuka Langley Sohryu stalked over to his bedside and crossing her arms under her breasts, glared at the boy. "Well?"

<What? What have I done now? I'm in hospital. Unless I did something before. I can't remember properly.> Shinji began scratching the back of his head. "Is something wrong Asuka?" The smile on his face was one of mild fear, confusion and desperation.

Asuka's glare grew in ferocity, her eyes practically nailing him to the spot.

<Think fast. Think fast. She's going to kill me.> "Sorry Asuka. For whatever it is that I did. I'm sorry." Shinji's eyes dropped to suddenly begin inspecting the bed sheets.

"Much better, Baka Shinji." Shinji glanced up to notice an all to familiar smirk on the girl's face accompanied by a merry sparkle in her eyes. <I've missed hearing that.> She thought to herself.

"Huh?" Shinji was now utterly confused. Asuka normally made an issue of whenever he apologised. "Oh Hello Rei, I didn't see you there." Shinji smiled at the young woman who had so often been there for him during his stays in hospital.

"It is good to see you awake Shinji." Re spoke hesitantly as she made her way to his bedside.

"Shinji! Better prepare yourself." Ritsuko Akagi burst into the room with a slightly panicked expression.

"Um, Hi Ritsuko-san. What's happening?" Shinji didn't feel comfortable with this. Ritsuko was normally very cool, calm and collected. He had only seen her like this once before. Just before she destroyed the Dummy Plug System.

From outside the sound of someone running through the hallways of the medical facility could be heard echoing.

All three women moved to one side, clear of the doorway and the bed.

Asuka rolled her eyes, "Baka."

"Yes Asuka?"

"Incoming."

Shinji suddenly knew without a doubt what was going on. His eyes widened slightly as he gulped audibly.

"SHINNNNJJJIIIII!!!!!"

Shinji was quite sure that even in slow motion and freeze frame, the purple, red and black maelstrom that suddenly swept into the room would still be no more than a blur. One moment he was undergoing the patented 'Foreboding Sense of Doom' that was his constant companion, the next he was swamped by one Misato Katsuragi. He was quite sure that in some people's eyes, what Misato was doing was bordering on the obscene.

<Hey, her hands shouldn't be there?> Shinji initially began to struggle against the rather intimate embrace Misato had him entangled in but realised the futility of it.

<Misato's bigger and stronger than me. Although I think she's lost a bit of weight.> He mused as she began to stop saying his name over and over and began peppering his face with small kisses.

"Geez Misato, book a hotel room in the red light district!" Asuka exclaimed as she watched on, disgusted and annoyed by the woman's antics.

"Wait your turn Asuka. I'll be done soon." Misato chirped happily as she continued to glomp Shinji who was beginning to fear for his chastity by this stage.

"Like I'd throw myself at that pervert!" Asuka sniffed indignantly.

"Will we all be allowed a 'turn'." Rei inquired. All present in the room stopped to stare at the taciturn young woman.

Ritsuko buried her eyes in her hand and slowly shook her head in disbelief. <Misato! Have you no shame?>

Misato loosened her grip on Shinji giving him the opportunity to catch his breath. <He was my Shin-chan before any of these others even knew him>

Asuka's eyebrow twitched and her fists clenched as she suddenly felt the need to hit something, preferably Shinji Ikari shaped. <Perverts. I'm surrounded by perverts.>

Rei quietly awaited her 'turn'. <That looks most interesting>

***

Office of The Supreme Commander of NERV

"Commander, the Third Children is released today. The Phase analysis indicates that his physiology has successfully adapted to the mutagen. His cognitive abilities appear unimpaired also." Doctor Subaru informed the grim figure as he sat behind his desk.

Commander Ikari activated his desk display and selected the room that his son was presently occupying. Frowning slightly at the sight, he shut the display down. "Fuyutsuki. Notify all staff that Synchronisation tests are required in two days time."

"Simulation plugs?"

"No. Use the EVA's themselves. Doctor, prepare the next stage of the project, you have until the tests commence."

"Understood Commander." The Doctor exited the office.

"Ikari, is it wise to use Unit 01? While the report reads well, can we really anticipate how 'She' will react." Fuyutsuki understood the need to test the pilot, but so soon.

"The Pilot's of Unit 00 and Unit 02 will be there to act as safeguards should anything unfortunate occur."

"Unit 00? When was it reconstructed?" Fuyutsuki briefly flicked through the reports at hand.

"Sensei, you should keep yourself informed of these things. Unit 00 was completed last week. Ahead of schedule. It seems Dr Akagi is still of some use."

"What of the core? The original was destroyed when the second Rei detonated the original Unit 00"

"It is true that Doctor Noako Akagi is no more." Gendou smirked, "But the 'Old Hag' served her purpose."

"Then how will Rei fare against exposure to the beast? Without a soul within the core, no buffer is present to minimise contamination" Kouzou was dumbfounded. Was this the same man who had chosen to raise Rei as his own child. <No. He's the same as he's always been. He's the same man who sent the first Rei knowingly to her death. He knew Naoko would kill the girl. He planned it. The First Rei, Naoko Akagi, the Second Rei. He orchestrated their demise, all for his 'Purpose'. Have you planned my end as well, 'Old Friend'>

"Sensei, I never said that the new Unit 00 Core was devoid of a soul. All is progressing as I need it to." Gendou turned the display on again to watch his son and the others in there happy little reunion. <And soon everything will be as it should.>

***

NERV Medical Centre

"So explain to me why you're driving us home. Misato hasn't had time to have anything to drink since breakfast this morning." Asuka questioned. <The Tramp still hasn't let go him yet. And that pervert doesn't seem to be fighting her off either.>

"In all honesty Asuka, do you want Misato driving in her condition?" Ritsuko motioned in Misato's direction.

Both women glanced at Misato Katsuragi, who was firmly attached to one obviously flustered Shinji Ikari. Misato hadn't stopped smiling like a giddy schoolgirl since they had left Shinji's room. Nor did it look like she was willing to part with him any time in the immediate future.

Alternatively, Rei was attached to Shinji's other side, 'offering support in case it was required' as she put it.

Asuka was seething. In her mind, Perverted Baka Shinji was obviously enjoying having 'The Tramp' and 'Wonderslut' hang all over him. <Of course Asuka,> she mentally ranted, using her best 'Pervert Baka Shinji' voice <I know you're the best woman there is for me. You're the prettiest, most intelligent woman I've ever met. Everything a pathetic idiot like me could ever desire but doesn't deserve. I'm not worthy enough to even stand in your glorious presence.>, Asuka continued to mentally harangue the boy, while he in turn tried to convince his helpmates that he was quite capable of standing, walking and breathing unaided.

"Misato, leave Shinji-kun alone. You'll have plenty of time to molest him in the car on the trip home and back at the apartment." Ritsuko mock-scolded the lavender haired woman.

"Aww, you're no fun Ritsu-chan." Misato pouted as she held Shinji tighter, causing the boy to grimace slightly as her fingernails dug in.

"Misato, you're hopeless." Ritsuko chuckled at Shinji's dilemma. "Shinji, unfortunately we'll need the 'Jaws of Life' to separate you from Misa-chan here. Asuka, looks like you're up front with me. Rei, you'll be in the back with Shinji and his parasitic growth." Misato stuck her tongue out at her blonde friend.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Let's get the Invincible Idiot home before he decides to tackle another truck." Asuka mumbled.

"Shinji," Rei gripped his forearm marginally tighter to ensure she had his attention, "I have something for you."

"For me? You didn't need to get me anything Rei." Shinji faced the young woman at his side, blushing slightly at the thought of actually receiving a gift or present from her.

His blushing continued to deepen as Rei leaned in close and lifted to place her arms over his shoulders and around his neck, bringing both of them close together. Shinji felt his heartbeat begin to pound loudly in his ears, his eyes drawn to the crimson orbs before him. Suddenly he heard a pronounced 'click' and a cold metallic object nestle against his throat. Rei pulled away with a small contented smile on her face.

Shinji reached up and felt a thin band of metal hanging around his neck. With a slightly confused look, he turned to face Rei who was now holding a small control device.

"What is this thing Rei?" Shinji asked.

Rei looked up from the display panel, still smiling. "I have placed a personalised tracking and monitoring system around your neck."

"Umm, why would you do that Rei?" Shinji idly tugged at the 'collar'.

"It will assist in keeping track of your whereabouts at all times. Please do not attempt to remove the device Shinji. Once installed it can only be removed by transmitting the specific code to deactivate it." Rei's countenance took on a serious look.

"And you can deactivate it?" Shinji tried to find the clasp that held the band in place.

"Yes." Rei nodded in confirmation.

"Will you?" Shinji half pleaded, half whined.

"No." Straight to the point, as she always was.

"Umm, Why not Rei?"

"I will not allow you to come to harm. I will protect you always." Rei's eyes bored it Shinji's, leaving no doubt in his mind about her conviction.

"Ok. Rei. If it makes you happy, I guess I can learn to live with it." Shinji sighed as he was herded towards Misato's car and dragged unceremoniously inside, held in place by both Rei and Misato.

***

Katsuragi/Ikari/Sohryu/Ayanami Residence

Shinji disliked large gatherings. Put people together in a relaxed atmosphere with junk food, alcohol and music and things always seemed to escalate out of control. Especially when the party contained some of the most dysfunctional human beings alive.

His two friends, Touji and Kensuke had heartily greeted him on his return to the land of the living, and then began the not so subtle ribbing at the way Misato had been holding onto him.

"Man, Shinji. You've got it so good. You get to pilot an EVA and live with a Goddess like Misato-san." Kensuke reiterated for perhaps the millionth time since he had known him.

"You can keep the piloting." Touji said, "But to live with Misato-san." Touji smiled as he began fantasising.

Shinji chuckled. <These two will never change.>

"Although I've got to say, Dr Akagi has got it going on as well." Kensuke added as he began filming the latest object to catch his fancy.

"I still can't believe it, Asuka. Shinji was hit by a truck nearly three weeks ago, and there he is like nothing happened." Hikari knew NERV was more than capable of performing miracles. After all, they had somehow grown replacement limbs for Touji. But it still seemed almost impossible that he was here.

"He's the Invincible Idiot. The amazing Third Children. A little thing like this was never going to keep him down." Hikari snuck a quick look at her friend. Asuka often ridiculed Shinji when she spoke words like that. But her voice which always carried a condescending sneer when she did was absent. Hikari was almost amazed to see a smile on Asuka's face. Hikari had long suspected that her friend had a 'thing' for the young boy, but seemed unable to act on those feelings.

"Katsuragi-san seems a little more relaxed at least." Hikari gestured to where Misato was presently discussing things with the three adults Asuka had dubbed 'Bridge Bunnies'.

"Gott, don't remind me. The hussy literally threw herself at Shinji and wouldn't let go. And don't even get me started about Wonder girl." Asuka muttered darkly.

Hikari glanced over at the enigmatic First Children. Rei was not hard to find. <Just look for Shinji and Rei will be there, not more than a few metres away.>

The young girl in question kept her personal observations to herself. She was continually looking for any signs that Shinji was in distress or suffering from fatigue. <He ignores his own limitations to satisfy the needs of those around him. They require reassurance that he is well. He will offer them all that he has, regardless of the cost to himself.> Occasionally she would glance at the display on her control device. <His heart rate is elevated. He does not enjoy being the focal point of a social gathering. Yet he continues to interact with the others. He does not seek to manipulate them. Nor does he seek to elevate his own status.> Having been raised by Commander Ikari, Rei was continually caught off guard by the stark differences between Father and Son. Rei closed her eyes and allowed her senses to reach out towards the boy. <His light still burns bright. Brighter than before. But the darkness is still there, buried deep within.> Rei frowned slightly. <There is something else. Something familiar.> before she could grasp the thread of the memory, it was gone. Rei was disturbed by what she had felt. Her introspection was interrupted by Lieutenant Maya Ibuki approaching Shinji.

"Excuse me, Shinji-kun, can I speak to you for a moment please?" Maya asked.

"Oh, Maya-san. Of course, how can I help you?"

"Can we speak in private?" Maya knew without a doubt that she was blushing.

Shinji was momentarily stunned. "Of course, will the balcony do?" Shinji gestured to the glass door.

Maya nodded and followed Shinji out into the night air.

<Just what is that pervert up to now?> Asuka watched with a degree of apprehension as she observed the little discussion between Shinji and Maya. The fact that both people were smiling and blushing as they spoke did not improve her mood. When Maya reached out and took Shinji's hands in her own, her fists balled tight, her jaw clenched and the veins in her forehead began throbbing.

Asuka quickly made her way to the balcony door and after slamming it open she glared at Shinji and delivered a withering gaze of contempt laced with suspicion at the young lieutenant. "Baka, we're beginning to run low on snacks. Get in the kitchen and prepare some more. We've got more than just one guest to take care of you know."

Shinji, startled by Asuka's obvious displeasure, quickly agreed to her demands.

Maya returned to the living room and watched with a slightly wistful expression as Shinji was literally dragged away by Asuka towards the kitchen.

"He's quite handsome isn't he?" A voice whispered beside her.

Still lost in her daydream, Maya nodded, "He is."

"Very polite and chivalrous."

Maya smiled and nodded in affirmation.

"And the age difference isn't that much." Again the voice whispered rather conspiratorially.

Maya smiled as she gave the idea a little more thought. Suddenly realising what she was doing and where she was, Maya turned to find her mentor grinning like the proverbial Cheshire cat. "Sempai. It's not what you think. I mean …"

Chuckling at her protégé's flustered behaviour and obvious embarrassment at being 'caught out', Ritsuko gave the young woman a chance to calm down before speaking. "It's okay Maya. Shinji's a nice guy. A little withdrawn maybe, but nothing a woman couldn't change with some subtle persuasion."

Maya blushed at the implications of her sempai's statement. "It's not like that Sempai. Even if it was," Maya glanced over at where Shinji was currently being harassed by Misato, "I, I'm in love with someone else."

"Who is it Maya-kun? Anyone I know?" Ritsuko questioned.

Maya could only nod her head as she turned a particularly bright scarlet colour.

"So, when are you going to tell this person?" Ritsuko was interested in this turn of events. In her mind, Maya needed someone who would love her, to make her feel special.

"It's complicated Sempai." Maya whispered.

Ritsuko watched her friend glomp Shinji for perhaps the tenth time tonight, she had lost count. "I won't guarantee anything Maya-kun. But unless you try, you'll never know. And regrets have a way of eating away at you from the inside. Don't let things pass you by. Even if it doesn't work out the way you hope it might, you'll be stronger for it." Ritsuko gave the woman a encouraging pat on the shoulder before heading over to initiate standard damage control protocol as Asuka and even Rei became visibly upset with Misato's drunken display.

***

Shinji looked at the woman sprawled rather unceremoniously across the living room floor. Sighing in exasperation, he knelt down and began to gently shake her, intending to wake her up so he could at least get her into her room and put her to bed. "Come on Misato-san. It's time you went to bed." The party had ended just over an hour ago. Asuka and Rei had decided to take their time in the bathrooms, leaving Shinji to tidy up.

Misato, with all grace and dignity, belched and rolled over to stare at the young boy in that special way that only half asleep people in a drunken stupor can. "Who?" Misato slurred.

"It's okay Misato-san, it's me. Wouldn't you rather sleep in your room?" Shinji offered as he helped drag her to her feet.

Due to her alcohol consumption, Misato slumped over Shinji, nearly dragging him to the ground. "Bed sounds good. Go to bed. Come to bed with me?" Misato giggled.

Shinji rolled his eyes as he struggled to get the tipsy woman to her room. "You know you shouldn't say things like that Misato-san. One day I might take you up on the offer." This only added fuel to Misato's giggling fit as she latched both arms around him and kissed him soundly on the cheek, causing the boy to blush.

"So easy to tease Shin-chan." Misato whispered seductively into the boy's ear.

Months of practice had taught Shinji just how to handle Misato's drunken rambling's and antics. He knew that within minutes of getting her to her futon, she would be sound asleep and come morning would remember very little, if anything of her actions from the previous night. "Here we go Misato-san, lie down and rest." Shinji smiled as he pulled the futon up and over her body, tucking her in. "Good night Misato-san. Pleasant dreams."

"Kaji?" Shinji turned around to find Misato staring at him. Yawning Misato smiled at him, "No. Not Kaji. Shinji." Misato's eyes began to close slowly as she began to drift off. "Night Shin-chan."

Shinji quietly crept from the room so as not to disturb Misato's rest. Once her door was closed he decided that he might as well tidy up the place before going to bed himself.

"You realise you only perpetuate her bad habits by treating her like that." Asuka smiled, knowing she had startled the boy.

Shinji found himself facing Asuka who was smiling at him. "She doesn't drink anywhere near as much as she used to Asuka." Shinji whispered in defence of his treatment of his guardian/commanding officer/friend/?. "Besides I don't mind. If it wasn't for Misato-san, I wouldn't have a home to return to"

"What are you talking about Baka?" Asuka stared at him with her patented 'You are such an idiot' glare.

"When I first came here. I didn't know what to expect. I thought maybe my Father wanted me to live with him. Maybe he wanted me here, as his son, to be a family again." Shinji's voice dropped almost beyond a whisper as he said the last part. "But he didn't really want me at all. I was here for one reason. He had a use me. As long as I piloted, he didn't care whether I lived in a box in an alley. As long as it wasn't with him." He struggled to maintain his composure as the memories came flooding back.

"What's that got to do with Misato?" Asuka tried to feign indifference, but she had never heard the whole story about exactly why he was living here.

"Misato-san offered to take me in. When we came back here, I apologised for the intrusion. Misato-san told me that this was my home now. She welcomed me home." He smiled as he remembered being welcomed into a place for the first time in his life. "I finally had a place to call home. A home that I could return to."

"What about where you lived before you came to Tokyo-3. Didn't you live with an Uncle or something?" Asuka asked.

"He wasn't really my Uncle. I think he was a friend of my Father's family. He didn't really want me there but he was paid to put a roof over my head." Asuka was disappointed to see the all to brief smile vanish from his face. "We barely spoke to each other. He had his own life and expected me to respect his privacy. That's why I had to learn to cook and do the laundry. No one else was there to do it for me." Memories of a former existence, a life spending hours at a time being by himself. A young child without a Mother. Memories of a Father leaving him on the street and walking away. Time spent in a room with no toys, no friends, no comfort.

"What about you Asuka. You always talked about finding your own place as soon as you could. Why are you still here?" Shinji could remember practically every instance where the outspoken girl complained about living in such a cramped hole with a lush and a pervert.

Asuka looked somewhat surprised at the question. "There's only one reason why I'm still here. Only one." Asuka turned and began walking towards her room. "Shinji."

"Yes Asuka?"

"Welcome home." Asuka smiled .

"Thank you Asuka. It's good to be home." Shinji replied.

With that said, Asuka entered her room and closed the door, leaving a slightly bewildered Shinji Ikari standing in the hallway.

"I wonder what her reason is?" He wondered to himself as he decided that he could get a fresh start on the house cleaning early in the morning before school.

Closing his door, Shinji tugged his shirt off over his head and began to remove his trousers when he was interrupted by a soft voice.

"Shinji. May I speak with you?"

Literally caught with his pants down, Shinji turned around to find Rei Ayanami standing off to one side of his room, gazing at him. Hastily drawing his pants back up and struggling to put his shirt back on, he motioned for the girl to have a seat on the bed beside him.

Rei was glad that the darkness of the room hid her features. The sight of Shinji stripping had greatly intrigued her.

"I wished to apologise for my actions Shinji." Rei began as she sat beside Shinji.

"Apologise? What for Rei?" Shinji tried to keep his eyes on her face, but it was difficult when she was wearing just a nightie.

"For forcing you to wear the tracking band." Rei's head slumped forward slightly.

"I told you it was okay Rei. It's not that big a deal." Shinji hoped the girl wasn't about to cry. This was the most upset he had ever seen her.

"Without you here. I have felt less than I am. While you were hospitalised I had to face the idea that you might not return. This," she paused for a moment, struggling with emotions that she was still ill-equipped to deal with, "worried me."

"But I'm here Rei. I haven't gone anywhere." Shinji was truly concerned now. Misato's behaviour was expected. The woman delighted in expressing herself. Even more so if it annoyed certain German redheads and exasperated blonde doctors. Asuka was always very guarded in revealing her true self. While nowhere as antagonistic as she had been, she was still very self reliant. But Rei. This wasn't like Rei.

"I tried to see myself without you there." Rei's fingers trembled slightly as she hugged the hem of her nightie.

"Rei. You once told me that EVA was all you had. Life isn't meant to be so one dimensional. Life can be whatever you decide to make of it."

"There is so much I do not understand. So much I wish to know, to experience." Rei looked up into Shinji's face.

"Rei. I'm not the best person to give advice. But there's one thing I know. You're one of the most determined, strongest people I know. You're a good person Rei. I know that whatever it is you set your mind to, you can do it. I believe in you Rei. Try believing in yourself." Shinji encouraged her.

<He smiles at me.> Rei felt a weight lift from her shoulders. <A smile that never quite reaches his eyes. A smile that conceals so much pain and sorrow.>

<He believes in me.> Rei felt a warmth spread throughout her being.

<But you are mistaken Shinji. No matter how much I achieve, or how much I become.> Rei's hand reached out to touch Shinji's face.

<I will always be more than I am when I am with you.>

"Thank you Shinji." Rei rose from the bed and began to leave.

"Good Night Rei, I'll see you in the morning. Pleasant dreams." Shinji whispered as she opened the door.

"To you as well Shinji. Good night." Rei closed the door and returned to her own room, a small smile lighting her pale features.

End Chapter the Fifth

Tbc

Authors Post-Rant -

This took a little longer than expected. I'm still not happy with how it turned out. Postings may slow down dramatically folks. I'm burning the candle at both ends at work (6 day weeks/10 hr days) trying to finalise a Redevelopment Project for our Central Business District. The Mayor's starting to apply pressure. Politics suck.

Ja Ne