Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Insight and Understanding ❯ Chapter the Ninth ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Evangelion Fanfiction

By Otaku D-Man

Standard Disclaimer.

Refer Chapter the First

Insight and Understanding

Chapter the Ninth - There's No Such Thing as Destiny or Fate. Is There?

Tokyo-3 MunicipalHigh School- Before Class

"Asuka, where were you? They were taking suggestions for the Christmas Eve Break Up Party. I wanted find out what you thought we should do." Hikari was genuinely concerned. She knew for certain that if Asuka were against whatever the Student Council chose, she would make things difficult for everyone. While Hikari wasn't the kind to give in to her friends complaints, it was far easier to have Asuka on side than not.

"They kept us all in quarantine overnight because Baka Shinji's such a terrible Pilot who can't even control his EVA." Asuka shrugged her shoulders. "And then Misato insisted on taking us shopping because she's taken a liking to wearing his clothes."

"Katsuragi-san is wearing Shinji-kun's clothes?" Hikari considered the rather strange image of Misato dressed in Shinji's trademark black slacks, navy blue t-shirt and white button up shirt over the top. <Touji would still drool over her.> She thought bitterly.

"Yeah, absolutely no taste whatsoever. I mean the shirts I took barely fit properly." Asuka felt like biting her tongue off. <Schiesse.>

"What? You took his clothes too?" Asuka considered the look her best friend was giving her and decided to try and salvage something from the discussion.

"It's all Wonder girl's fault." Asuka was absolutely convinced that all blame could be laid at the feet of the blue haired albino. "She convinced Misato it was okay to wear his clothes while he loafed around in hospital. And you were too busy with the Neanderthal to help us out."

Hikari smiled. "So, you couldn't let Ayanami have a head start on you, huh?"

"Exactly!" Asuka blushed at the ferocity of her response. Groaning at her continued slip-ups, Asuka buried her face in her hands, bemoaning her fate.

Hikari offered an encouraging pat on the redhead's shoulder. "Why are you so worried about it?"

Asuka lifted her head from the table and glanced at where Shinji Ikari sat. He was presently involved in a discussion with Touji Suzuhara and Kensuke Aida. Asuka was quite sure that whatever it was they were discussing was either perverted or idiotic. Possibly both. Letting her eyes rest on the young Ikari's profile briefly, she noticed how even with his two best friends, he wasn't completely relaxed. Sighing slightly, Asuka redirected her gaze to the Pilot of Unit 00 <How can I not worry. I don't even know how he feels or what he even thinks about anymore. Why him?> Once again Asuka found herself trying to pinpoint just what it was about the Pilot of Unit 01 that continually had her thinking of him.

Rei Ayanami watched with an almost detached interest the way Shinji conversed with his friends. <Although he is speaking to them, he is somehow distant from them.> She observed how when either Kensuke or Touji spoke, they appeared extremely animated, adding suggestive hand and arm movements to assist in conveying their words. In comparison, Shinji was entirely subdued. His expressions never ranged far and body movements were kept to a minimum. <What are you contemplating Shinji?>

"I'm tellin' ya Shin-man. It's awesome! Ken'll back me up. Right Ken?" Shinji listened to his friends extol the virtues of the new games just released at the local arcade.

"Touji's right Shinji. The new full immersion combat simulator was incredible. The way the bodies exploded when I shot them." Kensuke paused in awe at the remembered battle. "The detail and high definition graphics are second to none. It was like I was actually in a war."

Touji leaned forward, his eyes burning with life. "And the new chick behind the counter was extremely talented." Touji cupped his hands suggestively on his chest. Confirming just what he considered an important talent.

"So, are you joining us after school?" It continued to amaze Shinji how enthusiastic his friends could be. He wanted to enjoy that sort of carefree existence. To just let go and have fun.

<Maybe I can. Misato-san said we weren't required for tests. I wonder if I should invite Rei and Asuka?> Shinji acknowledged his friends request. "I guess."

"Cool!" Touji grabbed the young Pilot around the neck and squeezed. "After school. Just the guys having fun."

<I guess I won't be inviting Rei or Asuka.> Shinji thought as he struggled against his friend's headlock.

***

Secure Meeting Room

"And Ikari suspects nothing of your duplicity?" The Chairman of SEELE, Keel Lorenz carefully observed his companion. The sensors fitted into his visor were more than just a visual aid for aged and failing eyesight. It could detect changes in a human being's autonomous functions, offering him valuable insight. A slight change in respiration, pupil dilation and heartbeat could indicate the person was lying. And the only liar who prospered here was Keel himself. All others had a tendency to perish rather painfully.

"If he did, I sincerely doubt I would be sitting here. Ikari has little tolerance for deception. Unless it is his own." He knew he was walking the razor's edge. One slip would mean more than simple failure. It would be the end of him.

"And the information contained on the disk is true?" Keel motioned towards a silver disk on the desk beside him.

"It contains all that Ikari has deigned to share. Although even he is not fully aware of everything I have managed to discover."

"His intended betrayal of the Committee will be dealt with soon. Continue to observe and report as soon as you can verify his schedule." Keel watched the holographic representation of his agent fade from view. As soon as he was certain the link was disabled and confirmed the necessary security measures were restored, he loaded the disk and began perusing the information. "Perhaps the leash we gave you was too long Ikari. Perhaps it is time I showed you just who is in control."

***

NERV Headquarters - Office of Major Misato Katsuragi

Ritsuko waited patiently, sipping her coffee. She glanced across at the lavender haired woman slumped at the desk across from her. A wicked grin graced her delicate features as she considered just how to rectify the situation. "Misato! Asuka and Rei have kidnapped Shinji-kun! They're refusing to hand him back!" The reaction was even more spectacular than Ritsuko had anticipated.

Misato was instantly awake and frantically reached for her phone and firearm, intending to get her Shinji back, by force if necessary. "Shin-chan!? Asuka, Rei. You can't have him!" Holding her pistol to her head and pointing her phone in a threatening manner, Misato quickly came to the realisation that something was amiss. "Huh? What's going on? Ritsu-chan? Where's Shinji?"

Ritsuko wrapped her arms around her waist as she doubled over in laughter. While she normally maintained a sense of stoic calm, the sight of her best friend using her firearm as a communication device and her mobile phone as a weapon was comical enough for her mask to slip slightly. "Misa-chan. Thanks. I needed that." Ritsuko chuckled as she wiped a tear from her eye.

Misato noticed just what her friend was laughing at and slowly returned her gun and phone to their rightful places. "Glad to be of service Ritsu. Anytime you need to laugh, feel free to just give me a heart attack. Really." Misato sat back down and glared at the doctor.

"Oh don't get all bent out of shape Misato. I needed to talk to you and listening to you moan Shinji-kun's name in your sleep wasn't the sort of conversation I had in mind." Ritsuko smiled evilly as she watched Misato turn an interesting shade of red. "Perhaps you're not getting enough sleep at night?" Ritsuko arched one of her eyebrows.

"Why are you here?" Misato grumbled. Being woken up from her pleasant dream only to be teased was not on her list of wants, needs or desires.

"I needed to talk to someone who I can trust. A friend who'll listen. Since Shinji-kun's at school, I opted for you instead." Ritsuko paused to collect her thoughts while Misato directed a withering gaze in her direction. "Someone recently expressed certain feelings for me. I'm not really sure what to make of it all. I don't really know how to respond."

Misato's startled expression quickly faded as she leaned forward. "Who is he? Was it Hyouga-kun?" Misato's eyes widened slightly. "It couldn't be Aoba-kun. I think he has a thing for Maya."

Ritsuko spluttered slightly. "No. Not either of them. I've known the person for quite some time now and was honestly surprised at the confession. What should I do?"

"It's not really up to me Ritsu-chan. It all comes down to how you feel." Misato looked thoughtfully at Ritsuko. "How does he make you feel?"

Ritsuko considered things for a moment. "Comfortable. We connect in a way I suppose. I'm just not sure if it's what I want at the moment. After Gendou….." Ritsuko closed her eyes, hoping to somehow prevent the images from appearing in her minds eye. "I don't know if I'm ready for a relationship like that."

"Ritsu-chan. You're one of the smartest people I know. Hell, you're probably one of the smartest people on the planet. Instead of trying to analyse it to death, just give it a go. Go slow if you don't know how things will turn out. Let things happen at their own pace. You deserve some happiness Ritsu-chan. We all do. Don't let something slip by you." Misato grimaced at her own words, remembering her own missed opportunities.

"Thanks Misa-chan." Ritsuko smiled. <It is good to have people who you can rely on. People you can trust.>

"Anytime. So when do I get to meet this mystery man?" Misato grinned.

"About that, Misato." Ritsuko sweat dropped.

***

Tokyo-3 MunicipalHigh School- Lunch Time

"So you're not upset?" Hikari was genuinely surprised. When the Student Council had issued the general email stating that the Christmas Eve Break Up Party was going to be a formal dance and dinner occasion, Hikari had expected Asuka to explode.

"Not really. It could have been worse. Just think what we'd end up doing if they left it to the Three Stooges." Asuka shuddered as she considered the collateral damage created from the combined intellectual might of Baka Shinji, Dumb Jock and Geek Boy. "Trust me. It could be much worse."

Hikari lowered her voice. "So, who are you going to ask?" Hikari noticed the almost imperceptible shift of Asuka's eyes. Following the direction of the glance she found the trio of Kensuke Aida, Touji Suzuhara and Shinji Ikari, clustered together, eating lunch.

"Asuka, you can't have him. Touji's my date to the dance." Hikari declared.

Asuka leapt to her feet pushing the desk away. "I wouldn't go anywhere with that perverted imbecile." Asuka glanced around and found herself the target of the remaining students. "What do you think you're looking at? We're having a private discussion."

"Then don't share your demonic ranting with the rest of us Devil Girl. Some of us look forward to lunch. We don't need your screeching voice making us sick." Touji smiled serenely as Asuka flipped her middle finger in his general direction.

"Stupid monkey." Asuka sat back down only to have Hikari persevere with her interrogation.

"Come on Asuka. Who are you going to ask?"

"The great Asuka Langley Sohryu does not ask anyone. If anyone thinks they're worthy enough, they'll have the guts to ask me themselves." Asuka raised her voice enough so it carried to one group in particular, more so for one particular person in that group. "Why are you so interested anyway Hikari?"

"Because, I was talking to Mayumi-sempai. She told me about a rumour that if a couple expresses their undying love for each other at exactly midnight on Christmas Eve, the couple will be together forever." Hikari's eyes took on a far away look as she imagined both herself and Touji admitting their feelings for each other.

Knowing precisely what her friend was thinking of, Asuka rolled her eyes and laughed softly. "No offence Hikari, but who actually believes in that sort of crap."

"You can laugh all you like Asuka." Hikari made a point of glancing at both Rei then Shinji. "What if it's true? Are you prepared to risk it?"

Asuka followed her glance, her eyes narrowing in distaste at what the brunette was implying. <It can't be true. There's no scientific merit for things like that. There's no such thing as destiny or fate.> She quickly looked at both Shinji and Rei one again. <Is there?>

"Hey Shinji, you upset the Devil recently? She's been glaring at you all through lunch." Kensuke whispered as he once again noted how the German terror was giving his recalcitrant friend her patented 'Evil Eye'.

"No. Not that I know of." He replied. <No more than how Asuka's usually annoyed with me.>

"Ayanami's been watchin' you as well Shin-man. Don't know whether she's angry or not. You didn't mix their lunches up again?" Touji blanched as he recalled that particular incident. No one had been spared that day.

Shinji stared in wide-eyed horror. "Kami-sama I hope not."

"No. If he'd done that again, we'd already know all about it. It's got to be something else." Kensuke looked at Touji. "It couldn't be."

Touji returned the gaze. "Maybe. I mean Ayanami does …. And the Devil always ….."

Both boys turned to stare in a mixture of confusion, awe and amusement.

"What?" The silence was far from normal for either boy. The stares unsettled Shinji immensely.

Touji grinned like the proverbial Cheshire cat. "He such a child Ken."

Kensuke nodded in agreement as he pushed his spectacles back up the bridge of his nose. "The young boy still has so much to learn about the ways of the world."

"So who are you going to choose?" Both Touji and Kensuke asked in unison.

"Choose? Choose who? For what?" Although Shinji had a fairly good idea what his friends were asking. He wanted to be absolutely certain of it. He often made misguided assumptions about what people were actually talking about.

"The Devil?" Touji grinned.

"Or Ayanami?" Kensuke grinned.

Shinji fell out of his seat.

Blushing as the classroom erupted into laughter at his pratfall, Shinji took his seat and looked at his friends. "What do you mean choose between Asuka and Rei? How can you even be sure they like me? I mean, Asuka would sooner see me dead and Rei. Well half the time I can't even figure out what Rei means by the things she says let alone what she thinks about me."

"Maybe so, but you're the only guy that they even slightly tolerate enough to talk to. Maybe they're just waiting for you to make the first move. It is the guy's responsibility to lead you know." Kensuke offered his sage advice as he looked to Touji for support.

"Ken's right Shinji. You got to show 'em you're a man. Chicks love the whole macho thing." Touji offered.

Shinji wasn't convinced of this. Living in an apartment with three very independent females had provided him with an almost unique insight into how the female mindset operated. Not that he understood half of what Misato and Ritsuko discussed when they talked about men. Rei only offered cryptic comments that mostly left him more bewildered than when he started and the things Asuka said, well, as long as he nodded his head, agreed with her, apologised for anything and everything possible, he could get away with his skin intact.

The bell rang signalling the end of the lunch period, leaving Shinji to ponder what was going on.

***

Tokyo-3 MunicipalHigh School- After Class

"Come on Ken, Shin-man, we don't want to be late." Touji was practically out the door as soon as the Sensei had exited the classroom.

"Mister Suzuhara, just where do you think you're going?" Hikari had suspected that Touji had either forgotten, intentionally or otherwise, that he was part of this afternoon's clean up roster. She was prepared to intercept him as soon as the class was dismissed for the day.

"Uhm, me and the guys were heading to the arcade for a while. Why?" <Damn Damn Damn.> Touji wondered if they'd catch him if he made a dash for it but his own introspection destroyed any chance he might have had as Hikari grabbed his ear lobe, and with a simple twist, dragged the now pleading boy back into the classroom.

"You are on clean up detail Touji. As are you Aida-kun." Kensuke collapsed back into his seat and buried his head under his arms with a groan.

"Serves the perverts right." Asuka grabbed her school bag and began walking casually out the door, not bothering to stifle her laughter at the predicament of the two youths.

"Not so fast Asuka. You, Shinji and Rei have to make up for skipping yesterday." Asuka turned to stare incredulously at her friend.

"What?! How could I be here? Baka! This is all your fault!" Asuka managed to reign in her temper as both Touji and Kensuke laughed at her plight. <It wouldn't do to be arrested for murder at school. Not when it could be made to look accidental. Next time I'm in Unit 02 I think I'll pay a visit to the idiot duo.> Images of what Unit 02's boot would make of the pair calmed the fiery girl immensely.

***

"Look Asuka, this will give you the perfect opportunity." Hikari was in the process of assisting Asuka wipe down the desks as she whispered to her friend.

"You won't leave me alone about this, will you Hikari?" Asuka sighed as the young brunette smiled confirming Asuka's worst fears.

"Okay, Okay. You win." Slumping in defeat, Asuka resigned herself to her impending demise.

Hikari turned and spotted Shinji Ikari mopping the floor. "Shinji-kun, can you please go refill the buckets with clean water?" Shinji paused in his cleaning and nodded his head in confirmation.

Hikari nudged Asuka in the side, "Here's you're chance. Go for it!"

Asuka was just about to offer to help the young Pilot when a quiet voice interrupted her.

"I will assist you Shinji."

Both Hikari and Asuka found Rei holding two of the metal buckets as Shinji collected the remaining two.

"Thanks Rei. We'll be back soon Hikari-san." Asuka watched with a certain amount of disappointment and trepidation as the pair exited the room.

***

Shinji watched the water slowly fill the bucket. His mind was presently occupied thinking of everything and nothing, one of his favourite past times, when his companion's gentle voice brought him back to reality. "Sorry Rei. I was a million miles away. What did you say?"

"The School Dance next week. Will you be attending?" Shinji stared at the young woman. Usually Rei made direct eye contact when she spoke with him. This time, her head was lowered slightly, as if she was staring at the ground in front of her. Her hair covered her features to a degree, so as inscrutable as her expressions normally were, he had absolutely no idea what she wanted.

"I'm not sure. The only dances I know are the more classical ones. Waltzes and the like. I'm not that good at those." Shinji smiled lightly as he replaced the now full bucket with another one.

"I would like to attend. I have never danced before." Rei felt her cheeks begin to burn. "Would you accompany me, Shinji?"

Shinji stared in disbelief. While the Azure haired young woman had changed over the intervening months since coming to live with him, he could never shake the image he had of her previous self. Always distant and detached. A remote aloofness that discouraged most people. While he now knew it was more to do with her own uncertainty with how to act in given situations, he still found her actions of late, confusing. He considered himself fortunate that he was one of the few people she spoke with on a casual, even friendly basis.

"I'd like that Rei. I've never had the opportunity to attend a school dance myself either. I hope you can put up with me." Turning back to the task at hand, Shinji prepared to fill the last bucket, not noticing the look of pure joy on Rei's face at his simple acceptance of her proposition.

***

Shinji felt slightly light headed. After returning to class with Rei and the refilled buckets, he excused himself to attend the call of nature. As he made his way to the boys toilets, he found himself forcibly grabbed from behind, a hand clamped over his mouth and being dragged into a vacant classroom. Fearing the worst, Shinji closed his eyes and waited for whatever retribution he was about to receive. Shinji had heard the rumours about students being bullied at this school. He had suffered similar abuse at his old school. Usually older students would target younger, isolated students and victimise them. Extorting money from them and in extreme cases, assaulting them.

"Baka, what's wrong with you? Open you're eyes." Shinji opened his eyes and gawked openly at his would be assailant.

"Asuka?"

"Who else would it be? Get a grip Shinji." Asuka coolly gazed at the young Ikari, measuring just how to proceed now that she had him alone and all to herself. Slamming her right palm against the wall next to Shinji's head and planting the other hand on his chest, Asuka leaned in and stared into his midnight blue eyes, searching for something.

"What is it Asuka? What did I do this time?" Shinji managed to stutter the question as the sweat began trickling down his back. Shinji found himself almost hypnotised by Asuka's sky blue eyes. <Her eyes are so pretty. It'd be nice if she smiled more.>

"The Dance next week. You're going." Asuka's voice was low and quiet. Her tone left no mistake about her words. Asuka was telling, not asking.

Shinji could only nod in response as he swallowed the saliva that was forming in his mouth. <How did she know? Rei only just asked me. Was she listening?>

Asuka closed her eyes and smiled softly as she nodded her head. "Good. Make sure you rent a limo. Asuka Langley Sohryu deserves the best." Asuka once again stared hard at the now visibly shaken Third Children. "Do not disappoint me Third Children. Not just anyone receives the honour of escorting my glorious self. Consider yourself fortunate." Smiling as if she had just won a prize, Asuka released her hold on the young man and left the room. Leaving a very confused Shinji Ikari in her wake.

"How did I let this happen?" Shinji pushed himself off the wall and slowly made his way back to the classroom. "What am I going to do now?"

***

"So, did you ask him? Did he say yes? Come on Asuka, spill it." Hikari had been constantly pestering her friend since she had returned to the classroom with an unmistakeable smile of victory on her face.

"Please Hikari. Asuka Langley Sohryu does not need to ask. The hapless fool couldn't help but be blinded by my radiant beauty." Asuka posed, enhancing her figure all the more. "He prostrated himself at my feet and begged me to be his date to the dance. It was so pathetic I simply had to agree. He might have done something foolish otherwise." <Like ask a certain blue haired witch to go instead.> Asuka smiled majestically. In her mind the real event was already forgotten, replaced by the more fanciful illusion.

"Well you know what that means, don't you?" Hikari grinned.

"Of course." Asuka grinned in confirmation of the unspoken thought.

"SHOPPING!" Both girls cried in unison.

"Hey Shinji, you're not looking to good. You coming down with something?" Touji paused as he moved the desks back to their correct positions.

<Yeah. Just great. I'm going to a dance with two girls who absolutely loathe each other.> Shinji was seriously contemplating not going to the dance at all. "I'm okay Touji. Just a few things on my mind." Shinji smiled and waved his friends concern away. "Let's finish up here and try that arcade out."

***

Streets of Tokyo-3

"You did what?" Kensuke exclaimed, tripping over his own feet in the process.

"It's not like I meant it to happen. Rei asked and then Asuka insisted." Shinji came to a complete stop and looked up at the evening sky, hoping it could provide the answers he sought. As usual, the sky offered little more than a scenic view.

"Why didn't you just tell the Devil to go get stuffed? Ayanami asked you first, didn't she?" Touji stood in front of Shinji, wondering just how he was going to ask Hikari, and whether she'd accept. <Maybe I'll ask Mari. She seems to know how girls think.> The fact that his little sister was a girl escaped his higher reasoning capabilities.

Shinji slowly shook his head. "Touji, it's not that simple. Asuka doesn't take no for an answer. Especially when she's already made the decision for you."

"So you're going to just let her intimidate you into it?" Kensuke brushed the dirt from his slacks as he got to his feet.

"I keep telling you Shinji. Chicks like their guy to be strong. You got to put them in their place, show them you're the boss." Touji nodded thoughtfully as he decided just how he was going to 'tell' Hikari she was going to be his date for the dance.

Shinji looked over at Kensuke, who just shrugged indifferently.

"Maybe I can get Ritsuko-san to put me in quarantine or something. Maybe Misato-san can come up with a way for me to get out of this." Shinji began tallying the possible scenarios that could offer him the opportunity of an escape from the predicament he found himself mired in. <Maybe Touji's right. Maybe I should assert myself more.> Shinji pictured himself with more confidence than he normally had. The picture reminded him far too much of the future self he had seen in his vision. <I'm not him. I won't be him. I can't be him.> Over and over he replayed the simple mantra in his mind. Trying to shake the uncomfortable feeling that what he had seen was already well on it's way to happening.

***

Tokyo-3 Shopping Mall District

"Asuka, what about this one?" Hikari draped a full-length burgundy formal gown over her front, inspecting the cut and trim of the material.

Asuka paused in her own search to briefly inspect the dress Hikari held. "It's okay, I guess. I don't like the shoulders though. Too frilly."

Hikari frowned and considered her friends rather brutal assessment. "Maybe. But I think with …… Hey Asuka. That looks like Ayanami over there."

Asuka followed Hikari's line of sight to confirm the presence of the only azure haired, red-eyed albino that they both knew. "What would Wonder Girl be doing here?" Asuka considered the implications of that particular train of thought. <No. I got to him first.>

"Perhaps someone asked her to the dance and she accepted." Hikari struggled to convince herself of her own statement. While she knew that quite a few of the boys at school found Rei attractive, her personality, or perceived lack of, drove even the hardiest away. The only male Hikari had ever seen Rei associate with was Shinji. In fact, Hikari was certain that Rei had a 'thing' for Shinji. Very much like the red haired girl beside her.

"As if! The Ice Maiden on an actual date? What pathetic idiot would even give her the time of day?" Although Asuka's words were laced liberally with contempt and venom, she knew full well which particular idiot would. <Too late First Children, Baka Shinji's mine. Find your own.>

***

Katsuragi/Ikari/Sohryu/Ayanami Residence

"Ahh-choo." Shinji rubbed his nose and sniffled. "Excuse me Misato-san."

Misato had just finished listening to Shinji's tale of woe in silence. Her silence due part in fact to the beer she was currently drinking, part due to her own curiosity.

"So, Shin-chan. Are you going to two-time them? Or perhaps you're thinking of which one to go with? Maybe you're trying to find a way out of the whole situation" <I'll bet I know which one you're angling for.> Misato smirked and leaned in, whispering into the boy's ear. "Perhaps you'll tell them both you've asked a pretty, slightly older woman to take instead."

"Misato-san. Please be serious. What should I do?" Shinji stuttered out as his cheeks flushed a bright red.

Misato noticed where Shinji's eyes happened to be and just what he was staring at. "How bold you've grown. My Shin-chan's becoming a man." Misato giggled as the boy became even more flustered by her comments. Deciding to ease up on the distraught lad, Misato sat back in her chair and considered her young charge. "You're really worried about this, aren't you?"

"Of course I am. I hadn't really entertained the possibility of either Rei or Asuka even wanting to go to the dance. Let alone go with me."

"To choose one is to hurt the other. To ignore the situation means you end up hurting them both, possibly yourself included." Misato rose and retrieved another beer from the fridge. "You shouldn't run from this Shinji. Asuka and Rei deserve better than that. Besides, one dance doesn't mean you're marrying them. Why not go informal and just have a good time."

<Misato-san just said something that could actually help. Since when has Misato-san ever offered any good advice.> Shinji tried to reconcile the advice his guardian's had offered since coming to live with her. In all fairness, the bad outweighed the good but the good advice had come at the times he needed it most. Times when he had almost given up on life and given into the despair. <Misato-san was the first person since Mother to actually care, to worry about me.> Shinji smiled at the dark lavender haired beauty. "Thank you Misato-san. I'll think about it."

Misato smiled and then furrowed her brow as she realised her beer can was empty. "Be a darling, Shinji and pass me another?"

Shinji sighed. "How about waiting until I at least prepare dinner?"

"Well, if you insist. But I'll have to think of something else to do while I'm waiting." Misato grinned.

Shinji felt the cold, clammy hand of fear and dread grip his all too fragile backbone. <I hope Asuka and Rei come home soon.>

End Chapter the Ninth

Tbc

Ja Ne