Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Insight and Understanding ❯ Chapter the Eleventh ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Evangelion Fanfiction

By Otaku D-Man

Standard Disclaimer.

Refer Chapter the First

Author's Pre-Rant -

Just to reaffirm things. I haven't decided on any pairings. As this is my debut work, I'm still coming to grips with the characters and their interactions with those around them. I have started the pre-drafts of both a Shinji/Rei and a Shinji/Asuka fiction. If it reads like certain characters have more 'air' time than others, it's simply how it's written, not indicative of anything more intricate. So please don't expect pairings as such in this work. Hopefully when I manage to release my subsequent 'paired' stories, S/A and S/R fans can still appreciate my work regardless of who's with whom. The whole Rei/Shinji/Asuka debate reminds me too much of the Sub vs Dub debate (Who else remembers the late 80's/early 90's when that particular war was at it's peak?). Most of my Anime comes direct from Japan. Guess which side I'm on?

Insight and Understanding

Chapter the Eleventh - It Begins Now

Suzuhara Residence

Shinji scratched the back of his calf with his foot while he waited for someone to answer the door. He was still trying to rationalise the fact that he had been unceremoniously expelled from his home. For the last week he had struggled with his conscience. He desperately wanted to explain to both Rei and Asuka just what had happened. Each time he played the scenario out in his mind it grew exponentially worse. The best endings had both girls despising him. The worst made him wake up in a cold sweat.

Every time he felt he had finally developed enough courage and mental fortitude to come clean, something always managed to hamper his efforts. Tests at school. Hiring a formal suit, arranging the transportation. Tests at NERV. Shinji sighed at this last one. Even with Unit 01 exempted from use by the direct order of his father, he was still required to submit himself to a seemingly never ending series of tests and embarrassing medical examinations. Even after all this time he still felt uncomfortable and self-conscious being examined by Doctor Akagi. The fact that Misato somehow always managed to be present didn't help at all.

Now, after a week of wondering just what to do and how to repair the situation, he found himself outside his friends' house with his battered duffel bag in one hand and his formal attire slung over his other shoulder. <The dance is tonight. What am I going to do?>

"Shinji-san!" Shinji was woken from his internal musings by the boisterous cry of a young girl's voice and a sudden vice like grip applied around his waist.

"Hello Mari-chan. How are you? Is Touji home?" Shinji grimaced slightly as the young girl beamed with happiness and tightened her hug.

"Oniichan! Shinji-san is here. Just come in. He's in his room. He'll be right down" Shinji suddenly found himself being literally dragged into the living room by the energetic nine year old. "Can I get you something to drink?"

Shinji smiled warmly as he shook his head. It never ceased to amaze him how quickly the young girl had recovered from both the physical and mental trauma of the accident that had hospitalised her for nearly a year. An accident that he considered his fault entirely. "No. I'm fine thanks."

"Mari. What have I told you about grabbing onto Shinji like that? If you're not careful the Devil or the Ice Maiden will come and get you. They don't like sharing their toys with anyone else."

Mari stuck her tongue out at her older sibling. "Hikari-Oneechan says Asuka-san and Ayanami-san are nice people and that I should tell her every time you say bad things about them."

"Hikari-Oneechan?" Shinji posed the question to both Suzuhara children.

"When Oniichan marries Hikari-Oneechan, she'll be my Oneechan for real." The childlike statement would have been comical had the girl not been completely serious.

Shinji turned to his friend walking down the stairs. Touji had developed a seriously embarrassed expression at his younger sister's declaration. "Hey Shin-man. Called Dad and he okayed it. You can stay here for the duration. Might as well bring your stuff up"

"Thanks Touji. With Hikari staying at our place and the girls all making a fuss over the dance it just seemed safer to get out of their way." Shinji gently managed to extricate himself from Mari's grasp and made his way to follow the boy to his room.

***

Katsuragi/Ikari/Sohryu/Ayanami Residence

"See Asuka. I told you Touji could be nice." Hikari gushed as she continued to stare at the delicate gold charm bracelet that now adorned her wrist. Touji had presented it to her when he had requested that she be his date to the school dance. Hikari had managed to control and restrain herself at his proposal and the gift, but had to tell someone. That someone was Asuka Langley Sohryu. Her best friend. Quite possibly the one person who could not care less.

"I'll admit the bracelets nice and all." Hikari glowed at her friend's assessment of the gift. "But I still think you're making the worst mistake of your life. The stooge is the absolute bottom end of the gene pool. In a battle of wits, a tepid glass of water would beat him hands down." The growing relationship between her only friend and the dumb jock alarmed her. She was positive he was no good for Hikari. Hikari was kind and gentle. Touji was a perverted, crass, uncouth imbecile. Asuka knew Hikari Horaki deserved better than Touji Suzuhara.

"Can you please be happy for me Asuka. Please. Tonight is special. I only want happy memories." Hikari knew one of the main reasons Asuka disliked Touji so much. Asuka was afraid of being left alone. Not that the outspoken red head would ever admit to such a weakness. Hikari knew that Asuka only saw Touji stealing Hikari away. <I never knew it could be this difficult to balance a best friend with a boy friend.>

Asuka could only manage a grunt in reply.

"Are you sure it's okay for us to join you and Shinji in the limousine?" Hikari smiled at the thought of turning up to the school in such extravagant style. It was almost like one of her fanciful daydreams.

"Yeah. Misato said it would be a good idea if we all turned up together. This way, those two perverts won't get any funny ideas and try something when they have us alone." Both girls blushed as they contemplated that particular line of thought.

"What about Ayanami? Will she be joining us?" Hikari was prepared for a verbal tirade. Asuka's dislike for the young blue haired girl was still intense. Even though they now shared a roof.

"Yeah. I guess." Asuka's response was indifferent. She rarely spoke to the Pilot of Unit 00. Even then, only when absolutely necessary.

"What about her date? Do you know who it is?" To Hikari's knowledge, the great student gossip machine had been unable to uncover just who was Rei's date for the dance.

"Couldn't care less. Maybe it's the Geek. He's into EVA. Maybe he's willing to give her a try." Asuka had spared the thought more than few moments. <Who could be that desperate?>

"And what about your date? Are you going to say anything special to him at midnight." Hikari couldn't help herself. She had spent quite a few restless nights contemplating just what she was going to tell Touji. She wondered whether Asuka was just as anxious.

Asuka blushed. "I haven't given it much thought." <Liar.> She mentally berated herself. She had spent quite a lot of time thinking about the so-called 'Magical Moment'. <Shinji's so shy he'll probably stutter so bad he won't even be able to say anything. Well Asuka, you'll just have to take charge of the situation. Like they say 'If you want something done right, tell Baka Shinji what he has to do and then make him do it.'>

***

Misato stepped out of the toilet and prepared to head back to the living room to fight Pen-Pen for the TV remote again when a soft, gentle sound caught her attention. <What's that? Sounds like ….>

Misato cocked an ear and followed the sound. <Rei's room?> Knocking softly, Misato slid the door open to find Rei sitting at her vanity desk brushing her hair and humming softly. Misato noticed that she was listening to her small stereo, playing the gentle refrains of an instrumental piece.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day." Misato mused as she entered the room, being careful not to disturb the books that were stacked on the floor. "Are you actually smiling Rei?"

Rei started slightly as the image of Misato appearing in the mirror behind her. "I did not hear you enter Katsuragi-san. Can I assist you with anything?"

Misato sighed. "You know Rei, you can call me Misato when we're not at work. When you call me Katsuragi-san you make me feel old."

"You are old Katsuragi-san. The age difference between us affords you some measure of respect and courtesy." Misato smothered the urge to shoot the girl for her blunt assessment.

<Kami-sama. At least with Asuka I can almost taste the sarcasm.> Misato smiled. "Well regardless of propriety, I'd appreciate it if you could at least give it a try."

"Very well Misato-san. Is there something you require?" Rei waited patiently for the lavender haired woman to explain her presence.

"No, not really. Just heard you singing. You must be happy about something. Anything special planned for the dance tonight." Misato sat down on the edge of the bed and grinned at her ward as she blushed.

"I have overheard some of the other female students discussing tonight's festivities. Apparently at midnight tonight something magical will occur if a couple express their feelings for one another." Rei fidgeted slightly as her blush deepened.

Misato barely contained her amusement at this little snippet. <The more things change, the more they stay the same.> She herself could recall similar concepts doing the rounds in her younger days. "And do you intend to participate in tonight's ritual Rei?"

Rei considered her response. "I would like to confirm the nature of such an event."

Misato continued her not so gentle probing. "With anyone in particular perhaps?"

Rei simply nodded, unable to reply. While most would not have seen past the façade, Rei was filled with a sense of anticipation and trepidation.

Misato considered the implications of this twist. <I wonder what Asuka will make of this?>

***

Office of The Supreme Commander of NERV

"Fuyutsuki, it would be prudent to issue the order for all staff to prepare for a full scale assault. It appears Chairman Keel is no longer amused by my petty deceptions." Gendou rubbed his thumb over the only remaining photograph of himself and Yui. A reminder of better days.

Kouzou furrowed his brow. "Are you absolutely sure Ikari? Why would the Committee launch an offensive now? Surely the schedule…." Kouzou's words died on his lips as he found himself staring down the barrel of Gendou's personal firearm. "Ikari. What are you playing at?"

"You should know me better than that Sensei. I don't play games." Gendou pulled the hammer back, the audible click causing Kouzou's heart to skip a beat. "I indulged your little betrayal with SEELE. It was convenient. The chaos provided by the attack will provide me with the opportunity I need."

Kouzou didn't bat an eyelid. Gendou never pointed a gun at someone that he didn't intend to kill. "Why now Ikari? From what I know of your intentions, no one will share in the future we have planned for all these years. Will you cast aside the work that we have suffered for, that Yui-kun gave herself to?"

"There was a time when I indulged the thought. Yui agreed with me, humanity had no future. As a species, we had achieved all that we possibly could. Even with those around us, we were still isolated. Always alone. Instrumentality offered us the chance to rise above our humble origins. To grasp the dreams that fuelled our mundane every day lives." Gendou considered his long time confidant. He was impressed with the elderly academics resolve in the face of certain death.

Kouzou shook his head slightly. As part of the upper echelons within NERV, he was all too familiar with the rhetoric that was central to the Human Complementation Program. "Your obsession with Yui-kun, the need to seek retribution against the boy, it's impairing your judgement."

The sound of the pistol launching it high-speed bit of death silenced the elderly man's words as the sudden impact flung his body backwards to the floor.

"Yui is mine Sensei. The Committees planned Red Earth Purification Ceremony will not come to pass. I will not share eternity with a worthless humanity." Gendou walked across and gazed down at the slowly dying man. "You played your part admirably Fuyutsuki." Gendou raised the gun, aiming between the eyes. It never ceased to amaze him how easy it was to end a life as he pulled the trigger once again.

Gendou walked to his desk to return his precious image to its safe haven and picked up the phone. "This is me. Send a clean up detail to my office. Some garbage requires removal. Have a security detail escort the Third Children to Terminal Dogma." Replacing the phone, Gendou Ikari walked from his office without glancing back. His mind had already classified it as irrelevant. No longer worth his notice. His thoughts now consumed by his imminent reunion with Yui.

***

Somewhere in North-West Japan

The A-801 Order had been issued by the Government in Neo-Tokyo-2. Chairman Keel Lorentz had pressured the politicians to enact the directive that essentially abolished NERV's special legal protection. The transfer of its command would be passed to the government of Japan. Giving Keel everything he required.

As a result, nine large transport aircraft made their final preparations for take off. Technicians scampered around complex machinery ensuring that all the last minute diagnostic checks were completed. The payload of each craft had bankrupted entire nations. Millions of human beings had been abandoned and left to die of hunger and thirst. All this to realise the ambitions of a select group of people. Now that their ambitions were threatened, action was necessary. As with most military style campaigns, they would strike fast and hard, executing the standard 'Genocide Principle'. The complete and systematic elimination of all unnecessary life at the target site.

***

Suzuhara Residence

"I don't see why we even have to wear these monkey suits. Waste of money if you ask me." Shinji listened to his friend complain for the eighth time about the travesty of having to dress formally 'and' attend school in his own time.

"I wouldn't worry too much about it. Misato-san told me that the guy is only there as part of the woman's overall ensemble. Essentially we're just another fashion accessory. We're meant to complement how splendid our date looks, agree with her disparaging remarks about the dresses worn by the other women and fade into the background as much as possible, so as not to detract from her overall appearance." It still confounded him just how a guy in a tuxedo could be a fashion accessory. "That's why practically all men's suits look similar while the women's dresses vary so much."

Touji sighed wistfully. "I wouldn't mind being Misato-san's accessory. Man you've got it sweet. Living with her and all."

Shinji could only shake his head. No matter how many times he tried to explain just what was involved with living with Misato, his friends only saw what they wanted.

"Hey Shinji. What's with the flower things?" Touji pointed to the two plastic gift boxes containing rather ornate bouquets of flowers.

"The corsages? The man's meant to give the woman a corsage when he picks her up to escort her to the dance." Shinji stared incredulously at the young athlete. "You mean to tell me you didn't get one for Hikari?"

"Corsage? No one told me about this." Touji threw his hands up in the air. "Not only do I have to be Hikari's fashion accessory, I have to get her flowers as well. I just laid out a small fortune on a charm bracelet. Who the hell came up with all these rules?"

Shinji shrugged his shoulders. "I just try to do what I'm told."

"Oniichan!"

"What is it Mari? I'm busy." Touji looked at the ceiling wondering why he couldn't just stay home and watch the basketball game.

"Thanks Mari-chan, I'll give it to him." Shinji took the small package from the young girl.

"When I'm old enough to go to my first dance, I'm taking you as my fashion accessory Shinji-san." Mari Suzuhara stated with all seriousness.

"Uhm, that's nice Mari-chan." Shinji sweat dropped as he watched her skip happily out of the room. Turning to his friend, Shinji offered him the package. "Here. Mari-chan wanted you to have this."

"Hmmm? What's this?" Touji unwrapped the small package to stare at the contents in sheer amazement.

"Touji, I hope you bought a decent Christmas present for your little sister. She certainly looks out for her brother." Shinji smiled as he noticed the delicate corsage Touji now held.

"Thanks Mari!" Touji yelled.

"Come on Touji, the limo should be here soon. We might as well wait downstairs." Touji simply nodded his head and followed the young Pilot to the living room.

"So is Kensuke already there?" Kensuke had offered his services to record the 'Extravaganza' tonight for the school year book. Or as he put it, 'record the evidence for the police inquiry'. The not so subtle dig about just how bad things could get due to Shinji's mistake was not something Shinji wanted to contemplate. Let alone have a video recording of.

"Yeah, he couldn't help himself. Least he doesn't have to worry about being some sort of handbag optional extra." Touji was still annoyed by his friend's description of his role in tonight's festivities.

"Oniichan!!" Both Touji and Shinji raced to where the child's terrified voice could be heard.

"Mari!? What is it? Are you okay?" Touji found his little sister slowly stepping back from the front door.

Shinji followed her gaze to find two dark suited men standing in the doorway. "Pilot Ikari. The Commander orders you to report to Headquarters at once." Without any trace of emotion, the two suits stood aside to allow Shinji passage between them.

"Now wait a minute! We've got a limo turning ….." Touji's defiant response in defence of his friend died on his lips as he noticed the look on Shinji's face. <He looks like he almost expected something like this.>

Shinji turned back to his friend and smiled. "Touji, can you tell Asuka and Rei that I'll be along as soon as I can? And be nice to Hikari. Remember, tonight's more for them than us."

Touji could only nod as he watched the young man escorted away. Much like a condemned criminal to his execution.

***

Katsuragi/Ikari/Sohryu/Ayanami Residence

Misato answered the door, fully expecting to see Shinji decked out in his formal attire. The camera in her hand startled Touji as she took the photo. While the expression was what she hoped for, the person was not. "Suzuhara-kun? Where's Shinji?" Misato stuck her head outside, trying to catch a glimpse of her Shinji, thinking he had possibly anticipated her game and was hiding just out of site.

"Misato-san. Shinji got hauled in by a couple of those Secret Service type goons. They said the Commander wanted to see him." While having Misato leaning against him was in the top three of his all-time major fantasies, the departure of his friend and the look on Shinji's face stole some of the enjoyment from the moment.

"The Commander? Shinji's father wanted to see him?" Misato grabbed Touji by the wrist and dragged the young man into the apartment.

"Touji!?" Hikari instantly noticed her boyfriends look of confusion. "What's wrong? Where's Shinji-kun?"

"Shin-chan's at Headquarters. Commander Ikari had him dragged in by Section 2." Misato immediately disappeared into her room and returned with her phone.

Hikari stepped beside Touji and gently took a hold of his hand. "That bad?"

Touji smiled at the young woman. Hoping to reassure her. "Shinji can take care of himself. He's the number one Pilot."

Hikari glanced nervously over her shoulder, looking for any sign of Asuka or Rei. "You're right." <I just hope he turns up on time.>

***

Central Dogma

Ritsuko Akagi paused in her typing to stretch her body out and shake of the nagging strain that was the consequence of working a fifteen-hour non-stop shift at a computer terminal. After sipping her twelfth cup of coffee she allowed her body to relax from the strain and fatigue. Glancing at her desk where, amidst the cat figurines, documents and associated clutter that seemed to multiply each and every time she blinked, her eyes found a single red rose in an intricate porcelain vase. The gift had been there when she had arrived for work. The accompanying card had held a brief but endearing message from her new lover, Maya Ibuki.

<She's too good for someone like me.>

Even after only a handful of outings, Ritsuko could see that the young woman was almost too pure. Innocent and naïve in a harsh world. It worried her that she would somehow ruin that special something about Maya. Tarnish her sweet and kind nature.

<Come on Ritsuko, you sound like you're falling in love with her.>

Lighting a cigarette to calm her nerves, Ritsuko's ponderings were interrupted by a flashing message on her view screen.

<An alert from Sleeper Program 316? What's Gendou up to now?>

Ritsuko quickly activated the application. A video feed of the Commander's Office appeared. While not 'Real Time', the program was written to monitor the security footage and replicate anything that the program deemed 'Unusual'.

The footage contained no audio track but no real dialogue was necessary considering what she observed. "He killed Kouzou." Ritsuko absorbed the information and tried to second-guess the Commanders motives. The execution itself did not shock her. She had witnessed Gendou's murderous capabilities first hand on more than one occasion. The fact that he was removing his Second in Command foreshadowed something momentous.

Ritsuko quickly activated a series of utilities. "Where are you now Commander Ikari?". As she narrowed her search to the more prominent locations, a second alert appeared. Able to multi-task, Ritsuko quickly activated the alert while continuing her search for Gendou. A second video feed appeared on screen. "Shinji-kun?"

Ritsuko halted her other tasks and focused on the young Third Children as he was escorted through NERV by a pair of Section 2 agents. Her mind quickly analysed the situation.

Kouzou murdered.

Gendou missing.

Shinji-kun here, most likely against his will.

Something was missing from the equation. Ritsuko extrapolated a few scenarios, discarding them immediately. As her frustration mounted, the final variable became a constant when her computer informed her it had located Gendou.

<Terminal Dogma!>

The jigsaw puzzle finally began to fit together. All the separate pieces that were useless on their own, finally made sense.

"He intends to initiate Third Impact!" Ritsuko grabbed her coat and hastily departed her office.

***

Terminal Dogma

Gendou looked out across the lake of LCL towards the crucified torso of Lilltih. On his orders, the frigate that normally held its perpetual watch, now lay at the bottom of the lake. The entire crew had perished, their bodies resting inside the large metallic coffin that had been their tomb from the day they stepped on board.

<Finally. Tonight all my work comes to fruition.> Gendou heard the hesitant steps of someone behind him. He smiled. <The boy.>

"Father? You wanted to see me?" Shinji could barely bring himself to look at the back of his father. So many unpleasant memories were connected to that one single image. But then most of his memories were tied to something unpleasant.

"When Yui waved to you on 'that' day, did you realise she was sacrificing everything she was?" Gendou continued to stare at the pale angel in the distance. His eyes focused on the continuous stream of golden fluid that flowed down the Red Cross.

"Sacrificed herself?" Shinji was confused by the statement. Did his mother willingly give herself to EVA? "Why would mother sacrifice herself?". All he knew was his mother was somehow trapped within Unit 01.

Gendou ignored the boy's frightened words. He had long ago mastered the ability of ignoring others, especially the sound of his own son. "Every single second since that moment, I've tried to understand her reasons. We both agreed that humanity was at an impasse. We had evolved and achieved a level of sophistication unrivalled by anything else. Life itself was no more than a scientific amusement. As a species we had nothing left. Nowhere to go." Gendou slowly clenched and relaxed his hand.

Shinji caught the action and was disturbed by the similarity of it to his own nervous behaviour.

"SEELE deciphered the scrolls and discovered a way." Gendou gestured to Lillith.

Shinji hesitantly made his way over to stand beside his father. His gaze consumed by the only other occupant. For some reason his proximity to the entity overwhelmed his senses. He could feel something similar emanating from his father.

"The Mother of All Humanity. Lillith, the Second Angel. From Lillith we originated. Through her we could rise above our meagre existence, become like Gods." Gendou slipped his left hand into his jacket pocket and gripped his firearm. "Yui agreed with me. The Evangelions, modelled from both Adam and Lillith, would combat our foes as they appeared. Success was our only avenue. Failure meant oblivion." Gendou felt the bile rising, his iron will smothered the rage boiling his blood. "Then you appeared. Your presence destroyed everything I had worked towards. Yui chose you over me. Rei chose you over me. My wife and surrogate daughter abandoned me for a useless, pathetic child."

The venom of Gendou's words caught Shinji's attention. Turning to his father, Shinji found himself staring down the barrel of a gun. A gun his father was holding. "Father?" Panic froze him to the spot.

"Through you, I will reunite with Yui. The only person I have ever loved." Gendou aimed the gun and pulled the trigger.

Shinji found himself propelled backwards as the bullet impacted into his abdomen. Strangely enough, he only felt a single brief moment of blinding agony. A numb sensation quickly followed, spreading throughout his body. The loss of feeling was slightly disconcerting. As he fell to the hard floor, he lost his grip on the two corsages he had been holding onto. The delicate bouquets falling beside him, coming to a stop only a metre or so from his body.

"Now Third Children. You will herald MY Black Earth Purification Ceremony." Gendou slowly removed his glove and advanced towards the fallen and bleeding youth.

***

End Chapter the Eleventh

Tbc

Authors Post-Rant -

Fairly extreme method of avoiding Asuka and Rei, I hear you say?

Just what does Gendou think he's doing? Wait and see.

BTW - If you haven't already seen the promo DVD that came with Newtype (Japanese Edition), get it. See the sneak preview of Anno's Renewal of Evangelion (Split Screen. Compare New against old). I've got my Pre-Order in already.

Ja Ne