Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Insight and Understanding ❯ Chapter the Fourteenth ( Chapter 13 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Evangelion Fanfiction

By Otaku D-Man

Standard Disclaimer.

Refer Chapter the First.

Author's Pre-Rant -

Chapter the Thirteenth was better received than I thought it would be. I wasn't really all that happy with it. But I am my own worst critic. It's so easy to hate. Terrible isn't it.

As I intended, this Chapter occurs in conjunction with Chapter the Thirteenth. The girls do the hard work while Shinji gets to dream. That's equality for you.

And for all the Tabris/Kowaru fans, sorry if I upset you with the unjust portrayal but he hurt Shinji a lot. Adam sensed the dichotomy in Shinji's own subconscious from this betrayal. He was trying to come to terms with that pain by having Kaworu play the villain. Something his true self couldn't accept. Shinji truly believed Kaworu was the better person. That's why the pivotal moment in the dream was Shinji with a stranglehold on Kaworu.

Insight and Understanding

Chapter the Fourteenth - The Blame Game

Central Dogma

Both Asuka and Rei sat in their respective EVA's, waiting for the command to launch from the cages. The conspicuous absence of Evangelion Unit 01 and it's Pilot had practically everyone concerned. From a tactical standpoint, one third of NERV's fighting force was A.W.O.L. For the remaining two Pilots and their Commanding Officer, the concern ran significantly deeper than just strategic logistics.

"Misato, do you really think those morons in the military would be stupid enough to launch another assault against NERV." Asuka smirked as she recalled just how ineffective their conventional weaponry had been against the combined might of herself and her mother the last time they had attempted a military take over.

"I'm not sure Asuka. Some guys never handle rejection well. They always come back for more." Misato's carefree smile and easygoing disposition barely concealed the worry that suffused her entire being. <Where are you Shin-chan?>

"Has there been any word of Shinji?" Rei inquired. The unsettling sensation that had been bothering her all evening had only increased once arriving at NERV. It was slightly more bothersome than she considered the Second Children to be.

Misato's smile slipped a little. "No. Not yet. But you know Shinji. He'll turn up when we need him." <He always comes back when we need him. Always.>

Asuka shrugged her shoulders and grinned. "Feh. It's not like we'll need the 'Invincible Shinji-sama' to save us this time Misato. When he shows up let him sit and watch a real Pilot from the sideline."

"Major, the aircraft are now entering the red zone. ETA 5 minutes. Unit's 00 and 02 are prepped and ready to go." Makoto looked to the interim Commander for her order to launch the two Evangelions.

Misato turned to the communications monitors and grinned. "Ladies, your new dance partners have arrived. Please show them a good time."

"Got it / Understood." Both girls responded as their EVA's were sent to the surface to greet their latest foe.

***

Unit 01 Core

Gendou Ikari opened his eyes. He quickly surveyed his surroundings, wondering just where he was. "Unexpected." Before him was a small playground. Old and unused from the looks of it's condition. The sort you could find in older areas where the residents had long since relocated. The place spoke of loneliness, of despair. Walking over to the rusty swing he pushed it. The metal grated and squealed as unused hinges ground against each other.

"This is the strongest mental image I received from my son. He feels so alone Gendou."

Gendou quickly turned to face the owner of the voice. "Yui." His eyes quickly sought hers, wanting, needing to be certain it was her.

"Why did you abandon him Gendou?" Yui Ikari hugged herself, shivering, although theoretically it was impossible to feel changes in temperature in a place where physical laws were meaningless. "Where did my happy little boy go? He was always smiling. He was so happy." She was unable to reconcile her memories of a bright and carefree young Shinji with the sombre young man she felt each and every time he synchronised with Unit 01. "Now all he knows is pain and suffering. He feels so isolated, so alone. He desperately wants you to acknowledge him. But you used and abused his kind and gentle nature. You've crushed what little resolve he had left."

Gendou took a step towards his wife, raising his arms to embrace the woman he had longed to see for over a decade. "Everything I have done. All I have suffered. It was all in preparation for this moment. Things can be as they once were. The two of us. Together. For eternity."

Sensing his intentions, Yui glared at the man, stopping him in his tracks. "You did this to my son! All for your damned scenario. To satisfy your own selfish desires."

The sky quickly flickered through a series of images. Everything Gendou Ikari had done to achieve his goal. His crimes laid bare.

Using Yui to ingratiate himself with GEHRIN and SEELE.

"Fuyutsuki-sensei tried to warn me that you had ulterior motives when you first approached me. But I was blinded by youthful passion."

Using Naoko Akagi and her daughter Ritsuko to further his ambitions.

"I knew you were cheating on me. But it didn't matter. As long as I had my son. He asked for nothing from me. He was so innocent. So happy."

Using the Rei clones to implement his scenario.

"That poor girl. You sent her die twice. You treated her like a tool, discarding her when she was of no use to you, unwilling to further your plans."

Using his son to be where he was today.

"Shinji ……" A solitary tear traversed its way down Yui's cheek.

"You are the one who abandoned him first. You are the one who chose her project over her precious child." Gendou pointed a finger at one of the images. An image of Yui Ikari dressed in a silver plug suit waving to a three year old Shinji Ikari. "You have no right to take the moral high ground Yui." Smiling, Gendou looked over at his wife. "You're just like me Yui. You surrendered yourself to your own inquisitive nature. You had to know what lay within the mind of EVA. Like you, I gave everything to my project. I would sacrifice everything and everyone to free you from your prison. To see you once again."

Shaking her head, Yui continued to watch the montage, now of Shinji's memories, hearing his screams of agony, sorrow and rage. The depths so dark just sensing the fringes of it tore at her soul. "No. It was all for yourself. It was always your wants and needs Gendou. I hoped to provide Shinji with a chance for the future. A chance at happiness. Once I knew SEELE's plans for the Red Earth Purification Ceremony, for Instrumentality, I knew I had to stop them. There had to be a better way. Perhaps humanity had achieved its evolutionary pinnacle. I'm not so sure any more." Yui gazed once again at her husband. "I failed. We both failed Rokubungi. You will not have your way. I won't allow it."

Flinching at her use of his original surname, Gendou glared at her. "It is too late Yui. Your own actions provided the way. Adam has taken possession of Lillith. Your darling Shinji will now become the focus of the world's darkness and hatred." Gendou smirked. "The boy will destroy everything and everyone. And when he is finished, the magnitude of his task will consume him. He will die, alone and unloved. My parting gift to our son."

Yui shook her head. "Even now I can sense them. Through their bond to EVA. Their bond to Shinji. They can be his salvation. They are his everything. His reason for continuing." Yui extended her arm towards Gendou, her hand slowly clutching the air in front of her.

"What? What are you doing Yui?" Gendou began struggling as an invisible force held him tight.

Smiling sadly, Yui observed her husbands futile attempts to escape. "The soul is notoriously difficult to destroy. But it can be hurt, made to suffer agony. We will have eternity Rokubungi. But it will not be the paradise you envisaged." Shaking her head slowly, the playground faded to nothingness.

Gendou looked at his Yui, hoping to somehow reason with the love of his life. His voice caught in his throat as he watched her eyes slowly begin to glow a feral red colour as she began growling. In the background Unit 01 slowly emerged from the darkness. It roared in anger as it began advancing on the immobilised form of the former Supreme Commander of NERV.

***

Tokyo-3

Nine large aircraft flew over the determined drop zone and their pilots quickly confirmed the release of their payload. In sequence, the large pale humanoid figures were released from the craft and after extending the wings from their backs, began a slow, methodical descent towards their targets below.

"What in the hell are those things?" Asuka zoomed in on the facial features of the nearest EVA, shuddering at its appearance.

Rei's response was measured and controlled, not revealing the concern she felt. "Unit's 05 through 13. The Mass Production series financed by SEELE."

"SEELE? Who the hell are they? Mass Production series my ass. My Unit 02 is the benchmark for them. Those hideous things don't look anything like Mama. And where the hell did they suddenly find nine more Children? Pilots don't just walk in off the street." Asuka sniffed in disdain as she continued to watch their descent. <Why didn't they equip wings on Unit 02?>

"They utilise the Dummy Plug system. There is no Pilot operating the EVA's. We must be careful Pilot Sohryu. Something is wrong." <Their weapons. The aura is similar to the lance. What does it mean?>

"Wrong? Wonder Girl, didn't anyone ever tell you that the best defence is a good offence?" Asuka grabbed the nearest assault rifle and began firing shots at the enemy in the air.

Following the example of her colleague, Rei had Unit 00 begin shooting the winged monstrosities.

***

Central Dogma - CommandBridge

"Misato! We've got serious problems." Ritsuko dashed to where Misato stood, Maya at her side, the signs of distress and fear readily apparent.

"Problems? Where have you been Ritsu-chan? We're under attack by nine EVA's and we still have no idea where Shinji is." Misato turned from watching Unit 00 and Unit 02 begin preparing for the impending attack.

The explosion that rocked Central Dogma was sufficient enough to knock anyone standing from their feet and cause several system malfunctions.

"What the hell was that?" Misato glanced around at her support staff as they frantically tried to restore the systems to some sort of operational capacity.

"That," Ritsuko quickly deactivated the security protocols that prevented any unsupervised access to the surveillance monitors in Terminal dogma. "was Shinji-kun."

The entire bridge crew stood and stared in awed silence. On the screen was Shinji Ikari. Floating in mid-air before a huge dark skinned woman. Below them in the LCL lake lay a fallen Unit 01 with a gaping hole in its chest. Even without an audio feed it was obvious that Shinji was screaming. Those watching were unsure if it was from pain, as blood flowed from his eyes, or in berserk fury.

"Shinji?" Misato raised her hand to her mouth as she watched as lightning arced from her young charge. Tears began flowing as she watched his features contort and twist in a combination of rage and agony. Misato turned to her friend. "What happened to him?"

Ritsuko continued to observe the screen. "Gendou."

***

Tokyo-3 Geofront

"It appears conventional firepower will be of little use against them Pilot Sohryu." Rei discarded her palette rifle opting for a large spear in one hand and the standard issue knife in the other. "We will need to destabilise their AT Fields and engage in close range combat."

"Hand to hand, huh. Good, I need to work off a lot of excess stress." Dropping the weapons she held, Asuka retrieved a long curved blade.

The MP EVA's completed their analysis of the situation and decided to launch their counter strike. Splitting into groups they landed, surrounding their technological predecessors.

Standing back-to-back, Asuka and Rei both waited for their opponent to make their first move.

On an unspoken command, the MP EVA's began their advance. Four moved in to launch their attack while two others took to the skies once again and the remaining three began circling the two girls, looking for an opportunity to strike.

<Let's do this Asuka.> Unit 02 leapt forward thrusting the sword at its nearest opponent. Red blood sprayed forth as the shaft buried itself in the abdomen of the MP EVA. Maximising the momentum of the strike Unit 02 continued to press the advantage using the chance to jump and deliver a swift kick to the serpentine head of the other white beast. The force of the blow crushed the facial features as the head viciously snapped backwards. Using the leverage as she landed, Unit 02 drew the blade upwards through the near incapacitated EVA, cleaving it in half. Senses honed by countless simulated battles, Asuka rolled to the side as she felt the approach of danger before she saw it as one EVA plummeted from the sky attempting to skewer her where she stood while another tried to decapitate her from behind. "Better luck next time meat puppets." Asuka growled as she spared her colleague a quick glance before returning to concentrate on her two newest opponents.

Unit 00 quickly spread its AT Field and felt it contact and with its opponents. Using the chance, she threw the spear at one EVA. Not even waiting to see how it buried itself in the upper torso of the enemy, she quickly outmanoeuvred the next available target and grappled the creature around the neck and drove the knife into the side of it's head, viciously ripping it out through the face. Leaping to retrieve he spear, she narrowly evaded the lunging attack from behind as another EVA took the place of its fallen siblings. Holding the spear in both hands, Unit 00 raised the weapon above her head to parry the downward strike of another foe, the force of the impact driving her feet into the soft earth below. With a dancers grace Unit 00 flipped backwards driving it's foot into the skullcap of the MP EVA trying to backstab her, crushing the vertebrae in it's neck. In a florid motion, she drove the spear into its chest, pinning it to the ground. Unfortunately the display only allowed the remaining aerial foe to dive in and catch Unit 00 unprepared. While only a glancing blow, the large blade it carried tore through the armoured plate on the forearm as Unit 00 tried to block with the spear. Grimacing in pain, Rei watched as her own arm tore open and began bleeding. Not a serious injury, it would definitely hamper her ability to attack and defend herself.

Rei opened communications with Asuka. "I suggest you avoid incurring any injury to Unit 02 Pilot Sohryu."

Asuka glanced at the blue haired girl displayed in her comm. window. "Your bleeding Wonder Girl? How did that happen?"

"Their weapons are facsimiles of the Lance of Longinus. They are capable of piercing an AT Field. Our synchronisation with EVA means we incur the physical damage suffered by our EVA." Rei ignored the cut to her forearm, survival took precedence over pain.

Asuka quickly worked through a number of ideas. "Our EVA bleeds, we bleed. So it just means don't get hit. What if we lower our Synch Ratio?"

"While it may mitigate the effects, your response times and combat skills will suffer as a result." Rei could understand the Second Children's line of thought and would have agreed under different circumstances.

"Catch 22. Looks like it's all or nothing." Asuka laughed.

Rei smiled. "Death or Glory I believe is the phrase."

This only prompted more laughter from Asuka. "Funny First Children. Glory it is." Asuka charged the nearest MP EVA, the large blade slicing through the earth as she swung it upwards in an arc, neatly severing the right arm.

The battle continued to rage. It became readily apparent that without the innovative, spur of the moment flair that both the combat trained NERV Pilots had, the MP EVA's were sorely outclassed as they continued to struggle.

"Wonder Girl!" Noticing the approaching MP EVA blindsiding Rei, Asuka leapt between the two. While she was able to deflect the blow meant for Rei, Asuka left herself vulnerable to attack from her own opponent. A vulnerability it graciously accepted.

Asuka grunted in discomfort as the large blade sliced through her EVA's side. A similar wound erupted from her own flesh, her blood quickly mixing with the LCL.

"Pilot Sohryu, why did you risk serious injury protecting me?" The concept of the Second Children acting in such a self-sacrificing manner only served to confuse Rei.

"Just because Wonder Girl. Just because. Just hurry up and take them down." Asuka grit her teeth and did her best to ignore the deep gash across her side. <Because Shinji would hate me if I let you die Wonder Girl. And because I want the privilege of seeing the look on your face when he finally becomes mine.> Asuka grinned as Unit 02 retrieved a replica lance. "Come on First. Let's show these wind up toys how real Pilots fight."

The clean up did not take that long. While the MP EVA's were constructed utilising the most modern equipment and techniques, the actual performance was hampered by their complete lack of ingenuity, experience and determination.

Breathing hard from the physical toll the battle had extracted from her, Asuka leaned back in the entry plug. "That was easier than expected Wonder girl. Maybe the contractors cut some corners when they made these pieces of scrap." Asuka surveyed the carnage strewn Geofront. Chunks of the Mass Production series lay scattered around the battlefield and blood continued to flow like small rivers.

"Your fighting skills are quite exceptional Pilot Sohryu, but perhaps you should seek medical attention for the wounds you have suffered."

"This tiny scratch. It's okay" Asuka ignored the pain in her side. "You didn't do too bad yourself Wonder Girl. Looks like the fair damsels didn't need the knight in shining purple armour after all."

Asuka's assessment of her partner's fighting abilities was interrupted by the sudden movement of the MP EVA corpses around them. "What the… These bastards are still alive?"

"They appear to have functional S^2 engines. We must be extremely careful Pilot Sohryu. They are not bound by the same limitations as we are." Rei stood back to back with Asuka.

Asuka ignored the grey spots before her eyes and gripped the lance. "Let them come and get it. I'll slice and dice the bastards until there's nothing left to rebuild."

"We must destroy both the Dummy Core and the Super Solenoid Engine. It is the only effective way to incapacitate them completely." Rei offered as the MP EVA's began regenerating.

***

Unit 00

<<Ikari-kun.>> The soft, gentle voice whispered throughout the plug of Unit 00.

Rei's eyes glanced about slightly as she attempted to pinpoint the origin. "Who is it?"

Again the voice whispered. <<Protect Ikari-kun.>>

"Familiar. Who?" Rei focused on the voice and closed her eyes, expanding her senses, attempting to somehow establish contact with her 'guest'.

<<Ikari-kun screams. Ikari-kun is in pain.>> Urgency and concern now filled the voice.

Rei's eyes snapped wide open. "You!?"

An image of a young pale blue haired girl in a school uniform appeared before Rei. <<You are me. I am you.>>

Rei shook her head slightly. "I am myself. My soul is my own. I am the Third."

The image of Rei nodded her head in agreement. <<I am the Second. I am myself. But…>>

"We are the same. My thoughts were from you. Derived from your experiences." Nodding her head in agreement, Rei waited for the vision of her previous self to continue.

<<Our feelings are a gift from him. Ikari-kun cared for a disposable shell. He showed me I had more than I ever thought I would be allowed.>>

"He cared when we ourselves, did not. He cries for us. He smiles for us" Memories that both girls shared prompted a small smile from each of them.

<<He suffers for us.>> Rei III could feel the emotion and concern of her predecessor.

"The feelings I have for Shinji, are they…?" The question had long plagued the third Rei. Was her attraction to the shy young man only the pale remnant of her predecessor?

<<They are your own. They are not a reflection of mine.>> Rei II held a hand over her chest and briefly closed her eyes. <<But they are similar.>>

"You love him" The realisation struck Rei like the proverbial bolt out of the blue. Her predecessor, as unfamiliar with emotions as she had been, had loved Shinji enough to sacrifice her life to save him.

The ghostly image of the second Rei nodded her head. <<As do you. As do many others.>>

"Where is Shinji? I have not been able to locate him. No one has." While able to dismiss most trivial things from her mind while Piloting, the absence of Shinji had been constantly weighing on her thoughts.

Rei II looked over towards NERV Headquarters. <<He comes. He is not himself. He is lost within a false world of Adam's making. He will usher in Armageddon.>>

Rei II shook her head, denying her previous self's claims. "Shinji would not hurt…"

<<The Commander has sold him to the First Messenger, to realise his dream. Ikari-kun has become her instrument.>>

"I will not hurt Shinji." Rei III was adamant. She would die before inflicting harm upon her Shinji.

Rei II smiled. <<Thank you.>>

Re III returned the smile. "You are welcome Onei-san. Let us bring our Shinji home."

***

Unit 02

"Mama. It hurts. Do you think Shinji would laugh at how pitiful I am if he saw me now." Asuka held her hand tight against her side. Blood continued to spill between her fingers despite her best efforts to hold the wound closed. LCL mingled with the wound, slowing the bleeding to a degree but Asuka knew she would need medical attention soon to prevent any lasting damage. <I may not bleed to death but if it slows me down too much, those pale bastards will finish me off anyway.>

<<My little Asuka.>> Asuka raised her pained face to gaze at the ghostly apparition of her mother, Kyoko Zeppelin Sohryu. <<Let me help you Asuka.>> Kyoko embraced her daughter, enfolding her in her ethereal arms.

"Warm." Asuka smiled at the fond memories she had of her mother before the 'accident' and allowed herself to be weak for once. Her mother was the only person she would ever allow to see this side of her. She was Asuka Langley Sohryu and she couldn't afford to be weak. She had to be strong. Strong enough to prove she was worthy of the spotlight she craved

<<He needs you Asuka. The young man who dominates you're thoughts. The one you care for so much. He is lost. Alone and afraid, he has succumbed to the shadows that blight his soul.>>

"Shinji? Shinji didn't come to help me Mama. He abandoned me. Just like last time. The invincible Shinji doesn't need me. He doesn't need me." Asuka's voice became weaker and weaker as she convinced herself that she had no one that cared whether she lived or died.

<<You know that's not true. He would come for you if he could. He would give all that he is for anyone that asked it of him. This is the Shinji you keep locked in your heart. The Shinji that is worthy of my brave little girl.>>

Asuka forced the tears away and smiled. "That's right Mama. Baka Shinji might be weak and cowardly. He's a pervert and an idiot and not half the man Kaji was, but…. But he's MY Baka Shinji. And if he won't come to me then I'll go wherever he is and drag his sorry ass back." Asuka looked at the gentle, smiling face of her mother and blushed under her mother's scrutiny. "Because…"

***

Terminal Dogma

Doctor Tsukasa Subaru blinked away her drug induced slumber and slowly climbed to her feet clutching her head. "What happened? Commander Ikari? That whore Akagi? Where are they?" It took a few moments for her clinical mind to re-assert control and take stock of the situation. <I'll have to pay the good doctor another visit and finish our 'discussion'. And then the other two Pilots……> It was at that moment that things began to register. Raising her head, she found herself staring at a gigantic ebon skinned woman standing in the golden lake before her. <Her skin, it seems to draw the light in. Like a singularity.> The remnants of Unit 01 lay collapsed at her feet, it's core floating beside her. More remarkable, or perhaps disturbing considering the situation, was the presence of a very much alive Third Children. The last Tsukasa had seen, he was playing the part of a soon-to-be corpse at the Commanders feet.

Revelling in his ascension, the Destroyer felt the anguish begin to flood his being. His mistress opened the door and unleashed the hatred of the lost souls of Second Impact upon him. Their torment clawed at his soul, their insane jealousy of the living tore at his mind. He held firm amidst the maelstrom, taking all that they had to give. No matter how dark, how malign, their rage was no match for his own. Their sorrow, their despair was insignificant when compared to pain that he harboured in his soul.

Venting his fury, the Destroyer tapped the darkness that lay buried deep within his soul and unleashed it.

A giant cross flared, ripping through the armoured defences of Terminal Dogma, blasting up beyond the Geofront, through to the surface of Tokyo-3 itself.

Tsukasa Subaru watched with a true scientist's detached interest as the pillar of energy expanded out from the Third Children, rapidly closing in on her position. The vortex enveloped her, caressing her flesh. "Incredible." She marvelled as she brought her hand to her face, the energy sparkled and danced around her fingertips.

Her fascination was disturbed by a low moaning sound emanating all around her. It slowly grew from a murmur to a crescendo of shrieks and cries. Shadowy apparititions flickered across her peripheral vision. Shadows that gradually coalesced into gaunt humanoid figures, obscene mockeries of human beings. They glared at her, reaching out to her with sharp claw like appendages. Appendages that began tearing and ripping at her flesh, spilling her blood, ending her life. Doctor Tsukasa Subaru screamed as her soul was literally laid bare and her body was torn asunder.

Not content with her life, the Destroyer greedily consumed the light that had once been named Tsukasa Subaru, relishing at the exquisite taste of the human soul.

Adam smiled at her newly born Angel of Death. His power and rage grew exponentially as he absorbed his first Lillum soul. <<Take them all my love, they are nothing but meat for the beast. Sup from the chalice of their light. Remove all trace of Lillith's accursed offspring.>>

Raising her eyes to the stars now visible above, Adam and her instrument of oblivion began their ascent to the surface.

***

End Chapter the Fourteenth

Tbc

Authors Post-Rant -

I know the battle sequence seemed rather weak. But I did state right back at the beginning that I was intending to focus more on the interactions of the characters rather than the fight scenes. Also, in EoE, the MP EVA's were pretty ineffectual in a standard fight against Asuka by herself, let alone with Rei as well. Also it's a convenient out for someone like myself who was writing his first Evangelion battle.

Not long to go now. Yes. It means that Insight and Understanding is in its death throes. Some may say good riddance to bad rubbish. No wait, that's me.

Ja Ne