Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Insight and Understanding ❯ Chapter the Fifteenth ( Chapter 14 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Evangelion Fanfiction

By Otaku D-Man

Standard Disclaimer.

Refer Chapter the First.

Author's Pre-Rant -

Sorry about the delay in posting. Life decided to interfere. (Had a glut of new Anime to watch and it takes precedence ^-^ That and 22 PC's to rebuild from the ground up. Things we do for friends and family and complete strangers.)

Beginning of the End, End of the Beginning type stuff.

BTW - Apologies for the sloppy typing and spelling mistakes. Still customising my XP Word dictionary to recognise things like the EVA character names. Joys of upgrading software. Please bear with me in the interim.

Insight and Understanding

Chapter the Fifteenth - Discussions With A Echo

Central Dogma - Command Centre

Misato was certain someone was calling her name. Some one very familiar. "Mom?" Opening her eyes, Misato struggled to comprehend why everything was bathed in a dark red.

"Don't try to sit up yet Misato. You took a nasty knock when you fell." Looking up, Misato found the blurry form take a more familiar shape.

"Ritsuko? What's going on? Where's Shinji? Asuka, Rei?" Clutching her head from the sudden movement, Misato felt something warm and sticky surrounding the extremely sore part of her head. Looking at her hand, she found it covered in a dark substance. In the garish red emergency lighting, it looked almost black. "Blood?"

"Don't worry too much about it, head wounds tend to bleed a lot. Right now Hyuoga-kun, Aoba-kun and Maya are trying to get whatever systems they can back on-line. That explosion took out just about everything. We might have to abandon Headquarters and go topside." Ritsuko began wrapping a compress to the wound on Misato's head to slow the bleeding of the wound. "Asuka and Rei are undoubtedly fighting for their lives. As for Shinji-kun, my guess is he caused the explosion."

Shaking her head despite the pain it caused, Misato glared at the blonde scientist. "Shinji's not like that. He wouldn't….."

Ritsuko stared implacably at her friend. "You saw him Misato. Right now, Shinji-kun is more than capable." Ritsuko paused to steel herself. She knew without a doubt her next words would more than likely infuriate her friend. "We have to stop him at any cost Misato. Any cost."

Misato absorbed the words in silence. Having worked for NERV for a while now, she knew what Ritsuko was getting at. Her eyes narrowed as she contemplated just how to respond.

Before she could launch into a verbal tirade, Ritsuko pre-empted her.

"He's not your Shinji-kun any more Misato. He's Adam's emissary. Perhaps the Shinji-kun we both knew died at Gendou's feet. Maybe it began when he first arrived in Tokyo-3." Ritsuko's voice carried an immense amount of sorrow. Her personal association with Gendou Ikari had provided a frightening insight into how much the man despised his own son. While she had never been on amicable terms with her own parents, the thought that either one could casually end her life was difficult to contemplate.

"No." The whispered word carried more weight than any scream could. Misato tried to hold the tears back. Regardless of her efforts they began flowing. "He can't be."

Ritsuko grabbed Misato by the shoulders and brought her face as close as she possibly could. "Major Katsuragi. We have a situation that requires your undivided attention. Personal feelings have no place on the battlefield. You will do your job, damn it. We have two Pilots fighting above us and they may need your help to survive. Are you going to abandon them?" Ritsuko sighed as Misato nodded in agreement.

"I'll do my job Doctor Akagi. But if there's even a remote chance of bringing him home, I'll do whatever it takes, NERV be damned." Misato knew her attachment to Shinji bordered on the scandalous, but in all honesty she no longer cared what anyone else thought. <Whatever it takes, I'll bring my Shinji back.>

Smiling at her friends renewed vigour, Ritsuko helped her to her feet. "Then let's do what it takes. I've got more than enough blood staining my hands."

***

Tokyo-3 - Civilian Shelter

Standing at the urinals, two boys, both wearing formal attire, waited patiently while nature took its course.

"That explosion a while back was pretty severe. Worse than the time they exploded that N^2 mine." Kensuke shook himself and after zipping his trousers back up, began washing his hands. His spectacles reflected the lighting, casting his features in an almost demonic light.

"Yeah, I wonder how things are. It's been a while since an Angel showed up." Touji's words lacked the zeal of his military obsessed friend. The general panic and chaos of an Angel attack did not rate highly on his 'Must Do' list.

"I'm not so sure it's an Angel. I overheard the Demon talking about it a while back. Supposedly there was only supposed to be seventeen of them." Leaning back against the wall, he waited for Touji to finish up. " Shinji told me that the Seventeenth one was killed back just before the United Nations and the JSSDF attacked NERV."

After washing his hands Touji checked his appearance in the mirror. "If the last one's dead and gone, what's going on then? Nothing else can stand toe to toe with an EVA."

Kensuke grinned. "Maybe we should do a little reconnaissance. Check things out."

Sighing, Touji looked at the ceiling. "Hikari'll get mad at us again. Just like last time."

"Jeez Touji, you're not married yet. Besides she's got more than enough to worry about with our whole class in there." Kensuke pointed back towards the common area.

"Mari's there as well man. I just can't leave her alone." While he didn't want to seem cowardly, the whole situation reeked of something worse than just another Angel attack. The fact that Shinji had been taken earlier only served to reinforce things for Touji.

Kensuke attempted to stifle his laughter at Touji's words. "Alone? She's with the Rep's two sisters isn't she? Your soon to be family, right? Come on let's go see what's going on. Front row seats with our names are just outside." Not wanting to resort to underhanded tactics, Kensuke deployed his trump card. "You're not scared are you?"

The decision was made as the two youths left for the surface and the potential battle that was being waged.

***

Tokyo-3 - Battlefield

"Don't these bastards know when to just…." Asuka raised the large bladed weapon she had retrieved from a fallen MP EVA and brought it crashing down in a two handed swing on yet another. "…DIE ALREADY!!" Blood erupted from the brutal attack, spraying across an already drenched Unit 02.

Unit 00 tore it's arm free from her current foe, extracting the red entry plug from it's back. "They are most persistent." Crushing the object in her hands Rei turned to locate the next target. Of the original nine, four remained standing, the rest lay scattered, some still trying in vain to claw their way to attack the two girls. Although their efforts were hampered by the impromptu amputations performed by the First and Second Children.

Both girls were now breathing hard. The prolonged conflict was beginning to exhaust them both.

"Scheisse, Baka Shinji owes us more than dinner for this Wonder Girl. He'll have to sell a kidney when I'm through spending his money." Unit 02's heel drove down hard crushing through the chest cavity of the still struggling creature, grinding the entry plug into paste. The wound in her side continued to throb and bleed, each slight movement and exertion sending tremors of pain reminding her that it had not yet spontaneously healed.

Both girls paused in their deliberate and methodical slaughter as the ground beneath them began rumbling and shaking.

<<Ikari-kun! He comes!>> The contained essence of the second Rei Ayanami screamed as the earth ruptured. Bursting from the depths of the Geo-Front an incandescent cross of energy illuminated the heavens. The few clouds that were drifting aimlessly across the night sky evaporated as the scorching light destroyed their fragile molecular bonds.

"What the…!?" Shielding her eyes from the intensity of the glare, Asuka watched the pillar slowly dissipate. "Wonder Girl?"

"Shinji." The whisper was barely audible through the communication link.

***

Gathering of the Council of Seven Eyes

A series of dark monoliths stood impassively in a darkened room. The only light emanating from the word 'SEELE' and a numeric identifier on each dark slab.

"Ikari's betrayal brings destruction. Our tools must prevent this travesty from occurring."

"Units 00 and 02 are still functional. It appears that they are still formidable, even without the presence of Unit 01."

"Unit 01. Its creation was in complete defiance of the original scenario. Lillith's copy should never have existed."

Chairman Keel listened to the desperation in the voices projected by the audio feed of the monoliths around him. Their fear disgusted him. "I had not realised this committee was full of simpering cowards and fools." The simple taunt restored some semblance of sanity to the proceedings. Keel activated a holographic display of the happenings at NERV Headquarters. "While Ikari's deception was expected, we can still salvage Instrumentality from the remains he has left to us." The image zoomed in on the gigantic figure of Adam/Lillith and the Third Children, Shinji Ikari. "Ikari's own son is the key to our version of Impact. The Fractured Messiah. Without the true lance he is impotent. His transformation incomplete, his power erratic and unstable. He is …." Keel's smile held no warmth as he uttered his next word. "Vulnerable." Activating a secure communications line, the Chairman of SEELE issued his orders. "Activate the Rebirth Protocol in the Dummy Plug Control System. Units 05 through 13 will take care of things." Keel's smile spoke of certainty. A knowledge that even in this, the darkest hour, he would triumph.

***

Tokyo-3 - Battlefield

Rei Ayanami, the Third and last iteration, shuddered under the psychological onslaught of her previous self's cries. Even the present danger of the Mass Production Evangelions could not break the hold that the second Rei instituted over Unit 00. The entry plug was awash with a myriad of colours as the harmonic interface between beast and technology continued to destabilise.

"Sister. You must not lose yourself to this." Her pleas were ignored as Unit 00 echoed the pain of the essence within its core.

"Wondergirl, what the hell are you doing. This is no time to lose control." The drawn and haggard features of the Second Children appeared in a Comm. window. It was obvious it was taking everything the Pilot of Unit 02 had to just stay conscious.

"She is caught in the rapture. His approach has ensnared her." Rei grimaced as another wave of emotional distress wracked and assaulted her mind.

"Whom are you talking about?" Asuka paused as she willed herself to ignore the blurry vision and pain.

Rei could sense it coming. The presence was overwhelming. "I cannot explain Pilot Sohryu. It is complex."

Asuka shrugged her shoulders. "Whatever First. Just get a grip on the problem and back me up. These bastards are still moving and …."

"Pilot Sohryu?" The sudden pause by the Second Children alarmed Rei. In her experience, the red haired girl rarely let anything interrupt her tirades.

Staring at the crater, Asuka whispered her thoughts. "What is that?"

Rising from the depths, a large, dark female figure made its appearance. Her eyes burning with power and a smile that spoke of impending doom.

"The forbidden joining of the First Messenger, Adam, and the Mother of All, Lillith." Having been 'born' of Lillith, Rei could feel the need to join her 'Mother'. The call that was almost constantly with her to some degree had all but vanished in the days after she had refused Commander Ikari. Now it was back. The desire to abandon herself to oblivion was almost more than she could resist. Almost.

Asuka shook her head, prompting another bout of agony wrought dizziness. "Not that, Wonder Girl. THAT!"

"Shinji!" <<Ikari-kun!>> Rei's own concern was amplified by that of her 'sisters'.

Floating in front of the imposing figure of the First/Second Messenger, Shinji Ikari, or what remained of the Third Children, vented his anger at the skies above. Dark storm clouds began gathering at an incredible rate. In response to the Third Childrens cries, the skies answered with lightning. Bolts of unrestrained energy blasted into the ground around both himself and Adam, scorching the earth.

Asuka flinched as she watched the display before her. "I know its Baka Shinji. The last time I checked on him, he wasn't able to do that."

Rei closed her eyes and extended her senses outwards, towards the young man that meant more to her than he would possibly ever realise. "SHINJI!!" Wrapping her arms tight around her self, Rei screamed his name as tears began flowing from her eyes.

Shocked by the sudden shout, Asuka stared at Rei in near disbelief. "Wonder Girl?"

"Pain." Rei continued to weep. "Darkness. His light is consumed by agony and rage."

<<Now my Angel of Death, unleash your gift upon the children of Lillith.>>

The voice thundered louder than the fury of the elements. Adam's eyes glowed an unearthly orange as she smiled at the Evangelions before her. In answer to his mistress's call, Shinji Ikari, Angel of Death, Destroyer of Life, howled in ecstasy as shadows erupted around him.

***

Tokyo-3 - Interim NERV Headquarters (aka - Out in the Open)

"Major Katsuragi, we found these two wandering around. What should we do with them?" Two burly guards shoved their prisoners forward for judgement.

Misato spared a brief glance at the two young men standing before her. Touji looked slightly bashful while Kensuke was aiming his camera at multiple things, absorbing the atmosphere of battle. "What are you two doing out here? You should be in a shelter, it's not safe out here." The last thing she needed was these two getting in the way. Especially young Aida. He was just a little 'too' inquisitive for anyone's good.

Touji paled as the woman of his dreams rebuked him. Kensuke paused in his filming to pose something that had been bothering him. "Misato-san, what happened to Shinji? Have you heard anything?"

Misato resisted the urge to tell the two boys the disturbing truth. "We haven't really pieced it all together but ….." Before she could lie outright to them, Ritsuko's voice called out to her.

"Misato, we've re-established the comm. link to Asuka and Rei." Quickly forgetting the presence of the two boys, Misato raced to the makeshift communications terminal.

Grabbing the nearest available headset, Mistao furiously began calling for the two Pilots to respond. "Asuka! Rei! Can you hear me? What's going on?"

Although static interfered with both the quality of the audio and visual feeds, the voice was unmistakable. "Scheisse Misato! Stop yelling. It's bad enough listening to Wonder Girl scream out here."

Conflicting emotions swept through Misato as she considered the implications of Asuka's statement. "Asuka, what's wrong with Rei? Is she hurt? Ritsuko's still working on the link systems to Unit 00 and 02 so we're unable to monitor any of your physical data yet."

"I am fine Misato-san. Unit 00 is experiencing….. difficulties with Shinji's emergence." While the picture was no better, the blue hair and pale features were undoubtedly those of Rei Ayanami. "The Mass Production EVA's have turned their attentions to both Adam and Shinji." Rei's eye's lowered. "Shinji is no longer himself."

"Gott! Damn bastard!" As the technicians continued to work on the equipment, the picture slowly improved providing Misato a glimpse of the two pilots physical conditions.

"Asuka! You're bleeding!" Misato quickly gauged the severity of the wound coupled with the expression that the girl had. Luckily Rei's wounds looked minor in comparison.

"That's a surprise Misato. I just thought Doctor Akagi had changed the mixture in the LCL." Misato breathed a quiet sigh of relief. If Asuka had the energy for sarcasm, she wasn't finished just yet. "One of the living corpses just bit through my power cable. I've got five minutes and counting."

Misato considered their next step. "Rei, assist Asuka in a strategic withdraw." Misato quickly silenced Asuka's outburst. "We'll see if we can restore power to the nearest backup power units. While that happens …."

"Misato-san, what about….." Concern drove Rei to question her commanding officers orders.

Assuming her best military persona, Misato cut Rei off. "Rei just do it. We'll find a way to help Shinji. But the two of you need medical attention. You can't help him if you lose consciousness."

"Understood." The visages of both girls said more than actual words could.

***

Tokyo-3 - Battlefield

The being once known as Shinji Ikari continued to scream as the darkness swept around him. The dark light flickered across his flesh, scorching it. Wounds opened and healed instantaneously in rapid succession as the shadows began burrowing in, seeking the rage and fury that lay at his very core. Energized by his pain, the shadows ruptured from his flesh, showering his slight form in blood rain. Like a dark halo, they circled above him, waiting for his command.

He ignored the departure of the Blue and Red creatures, even though his mistress, Adam insisted he destroy and devour them completely. Instead he focused on the pale beasts that steadily approached him. He could smell the taint on them and on their weapons.

Fake. The one simple word described them. Everything about their existence was a lie. Nothing but poor copies of his mistress controlled by a superfluous system.

Nothing but meat for the beast.

His lips curled back as he grinned. A low growl began rumbling from his throat at the growing excitement. His fists rhythmically clenched and relaxed, a subconscious throw back to his previous self. Muscle and sinew contorted beneath his skin as his body responded to his feral rage.

"Death." The single word was whispered so softly that had anyone been beside him, they would not have heard it. The word described many things. For the creatures before him and humanity specifically, it described just what Shinji Ikari had become.

***

Ritsuko began examining the dressings on the wounds of the two girls as she questioned them. "What's happening out there? The sensors can't isolate anything other than the presence of an incredibly strong A.T. Field. The MAGI are still withholding judgement on whether it's pattern is blue or not."

"Shinji-kun." The light voice that spoke held an almost musical quality.

Asuka, startled by the sudden appearance of a young male beside her, instinctively swung her hand on reflex. Her eyes widened slightly as her palm swept harmlessly through his calm face.

"Tabris!" Misato spat as she pulled her pistol and levelled it at the young grey haired boy.

"Tabris? What sort of name is that?" Asuka eyed the newcomer warily. <He resembles Wonder Girl, but there's something different. He's smiling?>

"His names Kaworu Nagisa. He was designated as the Fifth Children. But we all came to know him as Tabris. The Seventeenth Angel." Ritsuko placed a firm hand on the gun her lavender haired friend obviously wanted to shoot. "You can't hurt him Misa-chan. No one can. Not now."

"Why are you here Tabris?" Crimson eyes clashed as Rei regarded the former Messenger.

"His pain calls me." The sad smile on his face spoke of a profound empathy for the young Shinji Ikari. "Adam has taken him for her own."

"The Fifth Children. The Seventeenth Angel. The one Baka Shinji never talks about." Asuka stood in front of the slightly bemused former Angel and pointed a finger directly between his eyes. "You're the one that replaced me and used my Unit 02 while I was out of action. You messed up Baka Shinji more than already was. From what I've heard you were his friend. He doesn't make friends easily. How could you treat him like that, knowing how easily he gets hurt?" The fiery Second Children was furious. No matter how she threatened or tried to coerce and bribe Shinji, he had refused to divulge anything about the Fifth Children. Only that he was his friend, and someone he would mourn for the rest of his life.

"Even the Angel of Free Will must bow to the weight of destiny." Realising his words were in no way placating the angry young red head, Kaworu looked to those around him for assistance. "Shinji-kun has succumbed to the lure of fantasy. His mind has retreated from the world he perceives. Seeing nothing of value in himself, he has surrendered to Adam. Unless he returns to himself, the Lillum species will perish."

***

Tokyo-3 - Civilian Shelter

The citizens of Tokyo-3 waited patiently, oblivious to the events transpiring outside. A year and a half of practice drills and numerous Angel attacks had created a mind set that allowed most people to blissfully ignore the potential end that awaited them. Being a social creature, many huddled into small groups to essentially catch up with friends and family. It was strange that many considered impending doom a welcome relief from the daily grind of work. Discussions varied dramatically from cluster to cluster. Work, sport, sex.

While this casual atmosphere was enjoyed by most, one particular group was slightly more concerned.

"Onei-chan," Mari Suzuhara sat with the Horaki sisters, Kodama, Hikari and Nozomi. "Onii-chan hasn't come back." Mari Suzuhara had not spent much time in the shelter facilities. Outside of practice drills for school and the apartment complex, this was her first time for real.

Smiling to reassure the young girl, Hikari gently held and squeezed her hand. "It's okay Mari-chan. Touji's probably locked himself in the toilet and can't get out." The joke provoked a broad smile from the girl.

"With that one, it's not that difficult to believe." Hikari spared a scathing glance for her older sister. Ignoring her sister's glare, Kodama grinned as she continued. "Although maybe there's more to him than I've seen. The sort of thing that causes your rather noisy dreams, Hikari"

Hikari could only blush as a result of Kodama's rather bold statement.

Nozomi tugged on Kodama's sleeve. "Onei-chan, what does Hikari saying Shinji-san's name in her sleep have to do with Touji-san?"

Kodama burst out laughing, as Hikari's blush deepened considerably.

***

Tokyo-3 - Interim NERV Headquarters (aka - Out in the Open)

"So tell me Fifth Children, if you're actually dead, how can you be here?" Kaworu blinked with a mixture of confusion a wry amusement at the question posed by the Second Children.

Staring off towards the place he could sense Shinji, Kaworu frowned slightly. "I am not here as such. I am simply an echo of what once was. Born of Adam, my soul was embraced by Lillith when Shinji-kun ……" Shaking his head to clear the unpleasant memories, Kaworu glanced at his companion. "What about you, why are you here Miss Sohryu?"

Asuka considered the young dead man's words. Her eyes drifted to where Rei was discussing the complications with Unit 00 with Ritsuko and Misato. "Who else is up to saving the world? I can't just leave Wonder Girl to flounder on her own. And someone needs to slap Baka upside the head and set him straight."

The absolute conviction of Asuka's comment earned a small chuckle. "Naturally. Who else but the glorious Asuka Langley Sohryu, Pilot of Evangelion Unit 02."

"Damn right." Asuka stared at the ground as she rolled a small rock under the heel of her foot. "I wonder why this happened? Misato and Ritsuko said you were the last of the Angels. Why doesn't the Invincible Shinji-sama just pull of another miracle? Like he always does."

Knowing something of the Second Children's peculiar mindset, Kaworu knew that she needed reassurance, but would never ask outright. "I don't know. Adam's hold is strong. Even now I can hear her call. It is difficult to resist, and I'm not exactly all here to begin with. Even the First Children struggles with the call of Lillith. As subdued as it is."

Frowning at the innuendo contained in his obscure statement, Asuka stared at the blue haired Pilot. "What are you talking about? Why would Wonder Girl be affected by that thing out there?"

Shrugging his shoulders, Kaworu smiled playfully. "It is not my place to say. Perhaps you should ask Rei."

Asuka shook her head. "That's as pointless as beating your head against a brick wall. The only person she ever really talks to is Baka Shinji. If he wasn't here I doubt she'd talk to any of us" <Always him. Only him. Gott how it pisses me off.>

"It upsets you, doesn't it? That Shinji and Rei are friends. Perhaps more than friends. You are not true to yourself Miss Sohryu. Shinji's heart cannot perceive someone's intentions unless they voice them. His innocence and honesty are captivating." Kaworu sympathised with the young woman. Even now, his soul yearned to join with Shinji.

"He's already taken Angel Boy." <By who remains to be seen but Asuka Langley Sohryu doesn't surrender anything that belongs to her. And He definitely belongs to me.>

The remark earned yet another round of light laughter from Kaworu.

Frustration gave way as Asuka kicked the small rock away. "It's just….. Why can't he look at me the way he looks at her? What does she have that I don't?" <I'm better than her. Better than Misato. Kaji wouldn't even spare me a second glance. Am I that repulsive?>

"Are you so sure he doesn't? My conversations with Shinji-kun often centred around yourself, Miss Ayanami and Major Katsuragi. You all featured quite prominently in his thoughts."

Asuka barely had time to consider his words as Misato called to tell her that the preparations on Unit's 00 and 02 were complete.

***

End Chapter the Fifteenth

Tbc

Authors Post-Rant -

Next Chapter should wrap things up. Probably?

BTW - Everyone seen the delicious screen shots for 'Girlfriend of Steel 2'. Yes the first game lacked decent game play but who cares. Megumi Hayashibara doing what she does best is enough for me. Besides, what Evangelion Otaku can resist?

Ja Ne