Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Neon Genesis Evangelion: Altered Destinies ❯ Launch Nine! ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Altered Destinies
Launch Nine!
 
"We're nearly there," Misato called back from where she sat in the copilot's seat, the black haired woman dressed in her usual red jacket and black dress.
 
"Thank you, ma'am," Maya Ibuki answered with stiff formally, the younger woman holding on to her seat nervously. She looked almost as boyish as Shinji could with her short black hair and crisp uniform, something that she seemed mostly unaware of.
 
"Thank you for coming, Ms Ibuki," Shinji Ikari said quietly from where the girl sat across from Maya, Her long black hair was tied back neatly in a ponytail, and in deference to the upcoming first meeting she wore a comfortable skirt in blue.
 
"It's not a problem," Maya answered promptly, "when I heard that Dr. Akagi wanted another officer along I willingly volunteered." As she spoke of Ritsuko there was a gentling in her tone and manner, her eyes nearly sparking.
 
Rei Ayanami, as usual, was silent as the white clad girl gazed out the window at the naval vessels that grew slowly larger up ahead of them. None of them had really expected the withdrawn pilot to go when Misato offered her the chance, but remarkably she had agreed. Of course that made some problems with Commander Ikari, but in the end he had been swayed by curiosity regarding the unusual connection growing between Shinji and Rei.
 
Dropping her voice a bit Shinji asked Maya, "Is Misato really qualified to be up there sitting in the copilot seat?"
 
In a quite normal tone of voice Maya answered her, "Major Katsuragi is qualified to pilot a helicopter." Dropping her voice a lot she added, "Now how good she is at it, I don't know."
 
"I heard that," Misato's voice carried into the rear cabin.
 
Out the window they saw the vessels of the pacific fleet stretched out below them, many aircraft carriers and battleships belonging to the various great powers of the world. Of course in this modern age they were completely obsolete, but it seemed to comfort the governments in having such powerful ships available.
 
"Get ready, we're going down to the deck in a few moments," the pilot called.
 
"Great," Shinji muttered as they dropped, unconsciously reaching out for the nearest hand. Rei looked a bit startled as her hand was gently but firmly clasped and Shinji apologetically said, "I don't much like landings."
 
A slight smile teased Rei's lips, "Me, too."
 
'Well, isn't that interesting?' Maya watched the two of them in surprise as they swooped down to the deck of the aircraft carrier. After a moment there was a soft thump, the rumble of the engine's fading away.
 
"We're down," Misato unstrapped herself from the copilot's seat first, exiting into the back cabin before sliding open the side door.
 
Maya unclipped herself from the seat and left, then Rei and Shinji followed her out onto the windswept deck of the massive aircraft carrier 'Over the Rainbow.'. With a surprised cry Shinji fought to force her skirt down as the stiff sea breeze tried to whip it up, well aware of the sailors around them looking on curiously.
 
"Knew I should have just worn pants," Shinji murmured as they hurried forward to where a group of figures waited.
 
"Admiral," Misato nodded to the older man, a group of lesser officers lined up behind him, all looking at the newcomers suspiciously.
 
"Major," the Admiral nodded, his gray hair controlled by his uniform cap. "The papers?" he asked flatly.
 
From under her red jacket Misato handed over a folder, which the Admiral flipped open to examine the papers carefully. "Your orders, sir," Misato said calmly, "including my formally taking charge of your cargo."
 
"You!" a woman's voice cut off further conversation. Above them on the command deck a woman looked down, her red-orange hair blowing around her face even as her red dress swirled in the breeze. Boldly she grabbed the railing and vaulted over, dropping to the deck beside them with surprising ease.
 
"Young lady..." the Admiral started scoldingly.
 
"Asuka!" a slightly scruffy looking man called from the command deck, his face unshaven if somewhat handsome.
 
"Kaji?!" Misato blurted.
 
Asuka Sorryu Langley looked around her with a frown, "So which one of you is the ace?" Her gaze fell on Maya, "It's you, isn't it?"
"Sorry, no," Maya held up her hands defensively.
 
"Everyone, I'd like you to meet Asuka Soryu Langley, the designated pilot of Unit Two and the Second Child," Misato said with barely hidden amusement, "Asuka, you already know Rei Ayanami and this is Shinji Ikari, pilot of Unit 01."
 
"Her?!" Asuka blinked, looking at Shinji skeptically, "She's the one who successfully defeated a Angel in her first sortie?"
 
Shinji gave Asuka a wary look as she said, "It's nice to meet you, too."
 
"I think we should be talking about this in private?" Maya jumped in quickly.
 
"She's got a point," Misato noted sheepishly as she turned to the mildly bemused Admiral and said, "Sorry, sir."
 
"Not your fault," the Admiral flicked a glance to Asuka, "she's been fairly high strung since she came aboard." Clearing his throat he said, "I feel certain that our other guest can escort you to a room you can all talk in."
 
Kaji waved cheerfully from where the taller man slouched casually against a railing. "What the hell are you doing here?" Misato asked crossly as they walked the halls, the metal floor ringing beneath their feet.
 
"Why, I'd think you're not happy to see me," Kaji smirked and Misato just growled.
 
"Ayanami," Asuka said flatly to her, the three of them walking a bit apart from the older pair. She tossed a measuring glance at Shinji, "And I understand your father is Commander Ikari? That explains a lot."
 
A muscle in Shinji's jaw tightened as she clenched it, then said to her grimly, "That has nothing to do with me being a pilot."
 
Asuka looked back at her, faintly surprised at the tone of Shinji's voice. "Oh really," she murmured thoughtfully.
 
Jumping into the awkward moment Maya said with forced cheerfulness to Asuka, "We brought the power cable for your Evangelion, if there's an emergency you can deploy."
 
Asuka flipped her hair back, "Of course, I'd be honored to use my superior skills."
 
"Here we go," Kaji said as they reached a door, opening it to reveal a long table and chairs scattered around. In a surprisingly intimate gesture Kaji slipped his arms around Misato from behind and purred, "Missed me?"
 
WHACK! Smoothly Misato struck him upside the head, sending him jumping backwards as she dryly said, "Not so much, no."
 
"Still with Ritsuko, huh?" Kaji said as they all grabbed their seats.
 
"And happily so," Misato nodded. Oddly as she said it Maya flinched a bit, looking oddly uncomfortable. Not noting that reaction Misato gave Kaji a wary look and asked, "So what are you doing here, anyway?"
 
"Since I was on an errand to NERV anyway I jumped at the chance to escort Asuka there," Kaji said with a grin.
 
"Lecher," Misato muttered.
 
"Uhm," Shinji ventured, "have you know each other long?"
 
"Since university," Kaji laughed, "back when she and Ritsuko first met." He grinned impishly, "Why, one time I walked in on Ritsuko and Misato when they were..."
 
Swiftly Misato slapped a hand over his mouth, "They do not need to hear that!"
 
To be continued...