Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Neon Genesis Evangelion: Altered Destinies ❯ Launch Ten! ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Altered Destinies
Launch Ten!

“Damn it, stop thinking so loud,” Asuka growled as they lurched, the red Unit 02 fighting to keep it’s balance on the deck of the ship.

“Trying,” Shinji answrered, holding on to the back of the seat in the entry plug, the plug suit she had borrowed from Asuka clinging to her body.

The Angel was a black shape beneath the water racing with incredible speed as the navy vessels tried uselessly to destroy it. It had attacked with almost no warning, leaving them scrambling to prepare any kind of defense.

“We’ve only got the prog knife as a weapon,” Asuka said as she scanned the water, “we have to let it get close.”

“But if we hit the water we’re in trouble,” Shinji smiled slightly, “I rather doubt a Evangelion can swim.”

“Obviously,” Asuka answered coldly.

“So, you like Kaji?” Shinji asked casually.

“What?” Asuka blurted, blushing. “Why are you asking me that now?”

“No time like the present,” Shinji answered even as she saw a shadow at the corner of her eye. “Incoming!”she cried, pointing.

“I see it,” Asuka wheeled the Eva around, knife at the ready and sliced, taking a chunk off the Angel’s side, a fin dropping away to hit the water. In fact she hadn’t seen it coming, and was a bit disturbed that Shinji had. Clearly the pilot was more capable than Asuka had first thought.

“It’s circling,” Shinji blinked as the dark shape moved awkwardly in the water. Her eyes widened, “It can’t maneuver without both fins!”

“The one is regenerating fast,” Asuka murmured as a dangerous idea began to form.

Obviously, Shinji was thinking similar thoughts as she said, “But we’ve got a shot. Should we take it?”

“It’s a gamble....” Asuka was tempted.

“The longer this thing is active,” Shinji looked sly, “the better chance it has of taking out the ship with Kaji on it.”

“You fight dirty.”

“Sometimes it’s the only way to win,” Shinji shrugged.

“Let’s go,” and with that Asuka dove her Evangelion off the sideof the ship.

“What are they DOING?” Misato squealed, holding the binoculars to her eyes.

“Damn I need a smoke,” Kaji muttered, the brown haired man restlessly scratching at the stubble on his chin.

“They’re going after the injured Angel, aren’t they?” Rei asked flatly, but her red eyes were narrowed in concern.

“That’s insane,” Maya blurted, her eyes wide.

“Not exactly,” Misato reluctantly handed the binoculars to the patiently waiting Rei, “it looked like they hurt it badly.”

“That’s the sort of risk Asuka’d take,” Kaji admitted as they waited for some sign.

“I wouldn’t have expected Shinji to, though,” Maya noted.

“The girl has unexpected depths,” Misato conceded.

Suddenly water fountained up as the Angel threw itself out of the water, Unit-02 firmly on it’d back. Seizing the opportunity the Evangelion struck with the progressive knife, driving the blade into the Angel’s core in a flash of light. The creature collapsed after thrashing around a bit and the Evangelion was hauled onto the deck of the ship by it’s power cable.

“Come on,” Rei cried as they raced from the bridge down to the deck.

The Evangelion’s entry plug had already been popped out when they reached the deck and as it popped open they were greeted by quite a sight. A bitterly swearing Asuka and Shinji were in a tangle of limbs in the seat, obviously thrown about by the Angel’s death struggles.

Taking in the scene Misato smirked, “Well, Shinji, was it good for you?”

“Misato!” Shinji scolded as she fell out of the entry plug and onto the deck.

“Are you all right?” Rei asked, the blue haired girl offering Shinji a hand up.

Shinji took it, “Nothing hurt but my pride.”

“You all right?” Kaji asked Asuka calmly.
“Other than that pervert feeling me up,” Asuka said as she brushed herself off.

“I fell on you,” Shinji protested.

“Likely story,” Asuka sniffed.

“Was it more difficult piloting the Eva with two people inside?” Maya asked, organizer out to make notes in.

“Huh?” they all looked at her in surprise.

“I’m sure Dr. Akagi would be interested,” Maya said defensively.

“She’s got a point,” Misato admitted.

“The Unit-02 was confused by out thinking in German and Japanese at first,” Asuka conceded as the two gave their report.

“You seeing what I’m seeing?” Kaji asked Misato softly.

“Rei hasn’t let go of Shinji’s hand yet,” Misato smiled slightly. “In fact, I don’t even think she’s aware she’s doing it.”

“You want to tell her?” Kaji asked.

“Nah.”

Maya nodded as she finished her notes, “Thank you very much.”

“So were you worried about me, Kaji?” Asuka asked charmingly.

“Of course,” Kaji grinned disarmingly.

As officers hurried about Rei and Shinji found themselves sitting off to the side, watching the chaos unfold. “What was it like piloting with Asuka?” Rei asked, her thumb moving in circles again’s Shinji’s skin.

Shinji smiled wryly, “She swears like a sailor.”

A smile actually tugged at Rei’s lips. “I’m not surprised,” she admitted.

“It was odd,” Shinji admitted after a moment, “there was a moment when we were on that Angel that I thought we were going to die.”

“Yes?” Rei asked.
“It was as if,” Shinji gestured awkwardly, “our wills became one. We were just not going to let that thing win.”

“Really,” Rei’s voice took on a flat tone as she released Shinji’s hand.

“I couldn’t live with myself if you or the others had been hurt,” Shinji admitted.

Rei’s gaze softened again. “I’m glad,” she said.

To be continued....