Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Neon Genesis Evangelion: Altered Destinies ❯ Launch Eleven! ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Altered Destinies
Launch Eleven!

Gendo Ikari read the report in his massive office, his expression remote as he read about the encounter with the aquatic angel. The dark brown haired man finally looked up from the documents at Kaji as he asked him, “So, do you think the Angel sensed the Evangelion, or what you were carrying?”

Kaji shrugged as he put the case down on Gendo’s desk, “Who knows? We still have very little idea of the Angels’ capabilities.”

“Hmm,” Gendo almost looked like he was ready to grab at the case in eagerness as he continued bitingly, “at least you were able to complete your mission, Mr. Inspector from the United Nations.”

Quite calmly Kaji popped the locks, the case swinging open to reveal something that looked like a cross between a sea creature and a developing life form. “Adam,” Kaji agreed, “direct from SEELE to you, sir.” A pause then he carefully asked, “Is this part of the Instrumentality project, sir?”

“That,” Gendo closed the case, his expression carefully remote as he said firmly, “is need to know only.”

Kaji nodded calmly, “Understood.”

Emerging from the shadows as Kaji left Fuyutsuki said seriously, “He knows more than he’s letting on.”

“Of course,” Gendo seemed unsurprised, “her serves three masters, at least. If you’re playing that sort of game you’d better be smart.”

“Three?” Fuyutsuki asked, his short grey hair combed back neatly.

“The UN, SEELE and NERV,” Gendo answered with a shrug. “It’s a dangerous game he’s playing, one that could be... fatal.”

“We’ll do what needs to be done,” Fuyutsuki said.

Meanwhile, in another part of the city a door opened as a woman’s voice called out, “Honey, I’m home!”

Shinji Ikari sighed as she looked at her guardian, “Do you have to do that?”

“Yup,” Misato smirked, the black haired woman leading Shinji inside. She walked into the kitchen with the take out bags even as Ritsuko emerged from their bedroom, “Hi love.”

“Welcome back,” Ritsuko paused to kiss Misato hello then helped her with the bags. A smile tugged her lips, “I understand you look good in red, Shinji.”

“Huh?” Shinji blushed faintly.

With a impish smirk Ritsuko said, “Maya emailed me her report in before you all got back, I read all the juicy details.” A bit more apologetic she added, “I would have come meet you but something came up at the lab.”

“S’alright,” Misato sat down tiredly.

Shinji and Ritsuko quickly began opening up the various containers and setting out the food, steaming plates soon set up in front of all three of them. “Beer?” Ritsuko asked as she paused in front of the fridge.

“You have to ask?” Misato smiled.

“Thanks for the food,” Shinji murmured then dug in.

“So,” Ritsuko asked in between mouthfuls of dinner, “what did you think of Miss Asuka Soryu Langley?”

“She’s... unique,” Shinji admitted.

Misato fought back a snort of laughter. “She’s as much of a spitfire as ever,” she agreed, “and she still hates Ayanami’s guts.”

“Psychological issues?” Ritsuko raised a eyebrow in question.

“Probably,” Misato shrugged.

“What do you mean?” Shinji looked curious.

“I can’t go into much as it’s from her private files,” Ritsuko sounded faintly apologetic as she continued on, “let’s just say you aren’t the only one with family issues.”

“Huh,” Shinji nodded as she ate, occasionally dropping a piece of fried fish for the penguin Pen Pen. “Where will she be staying?”

“She’ll get the option of NERV housing or a host family,” Ritsuko answered.

“Anything interesting happen while we were gone?” Misato asked, looking over at Ritsuko with undisguised tenderness.

“Another of our classmates is getting hitched,” Ritsuko revealed, “we got the invitation in the mail earlier this week.”

“What’s with this lemming like rush to wedded bliss?” Misato bitched. She sighed, “Rits-chan, you’re going to have to make me a honest women.”

Ritsuko winked, “Just name the time and place.”

“Anything else interesting happen?” Shinji asked with a blush.

Misato chuckled, “Poor Shinji.”

Taking pity on her Ritsuko said, “Well, it seems we have a rival.”

“Of?” Shinji looked curious.

“Jet Alone had it’s test run,” Ritsuko revealed, “it was successful, surprisingly enough. Gendo’s not happy, as you can imagine.”

“I bet,” Misato nodded with a grin.

“Why would dear old dad,” Shinji’s voice dripped sarcasm, “be unhappy about us possibly getting help?”

Ritsuko fought back a smile, ‘Shinji really doesn’t like Gendo much.’ Calmly she said, “I think he’s concerned that Jet Alone might interfere with our Anti-Angel efforts.”

“So did Jet Alone go with a piloted or unmanned model?” Misato pulled the discussion away from Gendo.

“Manned,” Ritsuko answered, “it seems they ALSO want to copy the AT field, and to have a chance in hell they need a pilot.”

“Ambitious,” Misato conceded.

“Do you know who they got to be a pilot?” Shinji asked curiously.

“A young lady about your age,” Ritsuko said calmly, “at least according to her file. A Miss Mana Kirishima.”

“Mana?” Shinji blinked.

“You know her?” Misato looked at her curiously.

“If it’s the same girl,” Shinji frowned as she finished up her soup, “then yeah, I think she’s in my class.”

“And isn’t that interesting,” Ritsuko blinked.

“All right Shinji,” Misato said as she scooped up the last of her rice, “get close to her and learn all her secrets.”

“I couldn’t do that,” Shinji frowned.

“Kidding,” Misato casually waved a fork, “but....”

“Yes?” Ritsuko asked.

“I do think we’ll take a look into this Mana,” Misato washed her food down with her beer, “just in case.”

“Just don’t do anything too embarrassing,” Shinji sighed.

“Would I do that?” Misato asked innocently.

“My classmates are still talking about the time you went to see my teacher in that mini-skirt,” Shinji pointed out.

Ritsuko chuckled, “She’s got you there.”

Later that evening, when Shinji had retired with his MP3 player and Misato and Ritsuko were lounging on the couch Misato poked Ritsuko in the side and said, “Okay, spill.”

“You saw me react to Mana being her classmate?” Ritsuko murmured.

“Yup,” Misato said, “what’s going on?”

“It’s something from Gendo’s private files,” Ritsuko revealed, “about the children in Shinji’s class.”

“Yes?” Misato asked impatiently.

“They’re all on the Marduk lists,” Ritsuko revealed, “as potential candidates to pilot Evangelion.”

“I’ll be damned....”

To be continued....

Notes: Mana Kirishima is a character from the Evangelion computer games.