Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Neon Genesis Evangelion: Power of the Spirit ❯ Chapter 0:4 Second Chance ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 0:4 Second Chance

"Misato! Let me go!" Asuka hissed, jerking away from her guardian and roommate as she stumbled down the hallway of the NERV hospital wing, "Mein Gott! Hündin, I said let me go, I have to …" (Hündin = bitch)

"At least let me get you a damn wheelchair, cranky!" Misato shot just as she tried to help the stumbling teenager while reaching for an empty wheelchair outside a room.

"Hure, Hündin, Weibchen," Asuka grumbled as Misato shoved her in the chair.

"Very original, As-chan, anymore ways you want to call me a bitch, or do you want to be try another word for a change?" Misato smirked down at the disgruntle girl.

"Wollen sie gefälligst den mund halten!" Asuka screamed as Misato gingerly pushed the red head down the hall. (Will you kindly shut up!)

"No, I won't shut up," Misato stated looking on ahead, "Don't worry your little head, I'm going to take you to Shinji-kun, and then you can go about confessing your undying love and all that stuff you've been dieing to do for the last couple years." She then smiled down, "Remember Shinji doesn't speak German so you better revert to Japanese mode before we get there, Kay?"

"Es ist mir scheißegal …"Asuka mumbled, though the excitement still shimmered in her eyes.

---

Misato took Asuka to a high security section of the hospital where Rei, Kensuke and Ritsuko waited patiently. Rei was gripping Kensuke's hand to the point his eyebrow was flinching in pain. "So, who's ready for a reunion?" Misato asked.

"I think we should talk for a moment first, Misato," Ritsuko spoke up, and all four faces seemed to droop at the same moment.

"Spoil sport." Misato growled.

"I mean, come on, Misato, we watched him die two years ago, then he doesn't just reappear, but he shows up in a majorly upgraded Evangelion right under our noses!" Ritsuko pointed out, "I've already spoken with him, he is aware that the two years have passed, but the events after the battle with the Archangels two years ago is a complete blank except a few stray thoughts and emotions that he can pull to the surface. The physical shows he's in better shape then he has ever been in before, but also shows several signs that he endured intense torture."

"Torture?" Asuka gulped stunned by the thought.

"Yes, his back shows signs that he has been whipped by something multiple times, but none recently," Ritsuko explained, "He remembers pain, lots of pain, but also … he remembers a few thoughts that quite possibly helped him out."

"Like what?" Rei asked in her monotone voice.

"Like you, Ayanami, and you Misato, his fellow -quote unquote- 'stooges' … and …" Ritsuko smirked down at the German girl paying close attention, "And more then a few times he mentioned another fellow Eva pilot … can't really remember who he said …"

Ritsuko glanced up at the scowling Misato, "What, is it a grand sin to tease once and a while?"

Asuka pulled herself up from the wheelchair, and after steadying herself, "We'll figure out why he came back to life, after I kill him again, ok?"

"If you're all ready, be prepared, he's not what he used to be," Ritsuko warned as she gripped the door handle to Shinji's hospital room.

"Whatever," Asuka said as the group approached the door, "Just let me get my hands on the gering dünn arsch!" (Little skinny ass)

The group entered the room, and Asuka and Misato especially were in awe at what they found. Shinji sat on the hospital bed in jogging pants and a tight NERV tank top, but he wasn't the Shinji any of them knew before. His small lanky body was replaced by a muscular form with broad shoulders and toned muscular arms. "Sh-Shinji?" Misato stuttered as the young man smiled before hopping off the bed and stood up … and up … and up … and up, Shinji now stood a good head taller then his father.

"Um, long time no see guys!" Shinji said nervously scratching the back of the head, making his short ponytail wave slightly.

Kensuke was the first to break from his stupor as he threw himself onto his lost best friend wrapping around Shinji in a tight hug.

"Welcome back, Ikari-kun," Rei smiled, wiping a tear from her eye before pulling Kensuke back, and whispering to her boyfriend, "you will have your time later, let us leave him with his family now."

"Me and Rei will be outside with Rits, speak to you in a bit, bro," Kensuke choked between sobs, "it's damn, damn good to see you!"

Shinji laughed a bit as the two walked out, before staring at the still stunned Misato and Asuka. "What, Misato-chan, don't I get a welcome back hug?"

A moment later, Shinji had to take a few steps back, from the impact of the glomp from his guardian. Misato hugged him tightly before pulling back, then walking around him looking him up and down. She finally stopped back before him to place her hands on both his cheeks, "Shinji? Is this really you? You've … you've grown up so much …"

"Last I check," Shinji smiled, before pulling the woman into another hug. He finally let go and turned to the still staring Asuka, and most if not all of his confidence melted from his features, "Um … hi, Asuka."

Asuka stomped toward him, with every intention of slugging him in the face, then follow up with several body blows before finishing up with a swift kick to the crotch. But when she got up to her friend and fellow Eva pilot, she merely threw her arms around his waist and buried her face in his chest, "Damn you … damn you … damn you …" the girl cursed hugging him fiercely.

"I'm sorry …" Shinji whispered rubbing the girl's back.

"You're sorry?" Asuka asked pulling back to growl, "YOU'RE SORRY??" She grabbed him by the collar and roughly shook him, "That's all you have to say, is YOU'RE SORRY? ALL YOU EVER SAID WAS 'I'M SORRY' 'I'M SORRY'!!" "You stupid … good-for-nothing … Baka! Mein Gott! I never thought I would say this but I've missed hearing you say that!"

Shinji pulled back, and looked down at the girl's jacket and the mark on her shoulders, "Lt. Major? NERV must be hard up for officers huh?" he asked with a playful smile.

"Oh hush, you baka," Asuka growled, though the hatefulness that accompanied it years ago was missing.

"So, is there any chance of us going home anytime soon?" Shinji asked, obviously fatigued, "Or do you want to prob on me some more Rits-chan?"

"Nani?" Ritsuko asked, blinking rapidly.

"Just teasing, Doctor," Shinji chuckled.

"Well, we still don't know what happened to you over the past couple years, Shinji," Ritsuko stated, "But I see nothing physically wrong with you, so you're free to go back to Misato and Asuka's apartment." The blonde then turned to the teary eyed Major, and the German Eva pilot, "Misato, Asuka, I want you both to keep an eye on him, if something seems really wrong, bring him back in, ok?"

Misato and Asuka nodded, "Very well, Shinji, welcome back, and rest well. I want you back in tomorrow afternoon so we can run some tests on your new Eva."

"Will do," Shinji gave a thumbs-up, "Am I cleared to start back to school too? I'm looking forward to seeing my friends again."

"If you feel you're ready, go for it," Ritsuko nodded, "Have a good night."

The three walked out of the hospital room, "Pilot Shinji Ikari?" an unfamiliar voice called as a young gray-haired boy approached them.

"That's me," Shinji turned to the young man, "And you're the Fifth Child, right?"

"Yes, I am Kaworu Nagisa, It is an honor to finally meet the great Shinji Ikari, Pilot of Unit 01," the red-eyed boy stated taking Shinji's hand enthusiastically, "You have a great number of friend and admirers, Shinji. I have heard many, many good things about you, especially from Asu-chan." The Fifth Child smiled as Shinji narrowed his eyes at the name Kaworu used for Asuka.

'Humans are so much fun to play with,' Kaworu thought before continuing, "When I dated Asuka for the short time I did, I had often found myself wanting to punch you in the face, the way you were her choice of topics."

Kaworu's smile widened as Asuka, who was standing behind Shinji, mouthed 'Shut. Up. Now.'

"I often suspected Asu-chan had a shrine to you locked in her bedroom, but oh forgive my rambles, I tend to talk to much," Kaworu stated giving a small bow, "I'll let you go now, good day Pilot Ikari, Major, Lt Major."

Shinji watched him go before smirking down at the blushing Asuka, "You dated that guy?"

"Yeah, so? What's it to you?" Asuka snapped.

"Nice guy, just didn't think he was your type," Shinji stated casually as he and Misato started down the hallway.

Asuka stood there letting her mind compute his words, "A-And what the hell did you mean by THAT?!?"

"Just, ya know, Asuka, he just didn't really seem like the kind of guy you'd be interested in, but then again, I'd never expect you having a shrine of me in your room," Shinji shrugged. "I wonder if you ever convinced Pen-Pen to take any pictures of me in the shower?"

"WHAT?!?" Asuka cried, "I'd rather have a shrine to the damn Angels before I'd have one of a Good-for-nothing Baka Hentai like you! And another thing, why would I want to see just how inadequate you really are, HA! I'd rather not know, I'd hate to find out I was wrong and you're smaller then I THOUGHT!"

"Is that a fact, Asuka?" Shinji asked turning to her.

"Yes as a matter of fact it is!" Asuka fumed.

"Ok then," Shinji asked going for the waist band of his jogging pants, "You asked for this …"

Asuka blinked for a moment before she realized what he was preparing to do, "WHAT?!? NO!! YOU … YOU BAKA HENTAI!" She screamed moving in for the kill, knocking him down and kicking his laughing form, "YOU'RE EVEN MORE PERVERTED THEN WHEN YOU WERE WHEN YOU WERE A LITTLE KID!!!"

"I'M SORRY!!!"

"THERE YOU GO WITH I'M SORRY AGAIN!!!"

"WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO SAY?!?"

"APPOLOGIZE!"

"I'M SORRY!!!!"

"NOT LIKE THAT, YOU IDIOT!!!"

Misato continued down the hall, beaming happily, "It's just like it was again …"

----

The three finally made it to the car, but Misato froze, a look of fear on her face from seeing who was standing just before her blue sports car. "A little surprised you would show up, Pops," Shinji shrugged, paying close attention to the sudden fearful and nervous expression crossing Misato's features.

"My son just return from the dead and you expect me not to welcome you back?" Gendo asked coldly, "What kind of father do you think I am?"

"The worst kind ever." Shinji stated with an almost matching cold tone.

"I doubt you would return from the dead to pilot the Eva, so that's out," Gendo stated approaching the boy who was now slightly taller then him, "And I think it's safe to assume you did not come back for me, the question is obviously why did you come back to us?"

"Great to see you too, Pops," Shinji snorted sarcastically. "But if you really have to have an answer to your question, Commander Ikari, I don't have one. I don't know what happened, I don't even remember really dieing. All I know is I was somewhere else for two years, and all I remember is wanting to live long enough to see … my friends again, even if that means seeing a bastard like you again too."

"And what if I don't believe you," Gendo stated getting into Shinji's face, "My son died, I saw it with my own eyes. I don't trust you."

"Not my problem, but then again, when did you ever trust me anyway? When did you ever even consider me your son," Shinji hissed hatefully. "You don't trust me, fine, I don't trust you either. The fact is I am Shinji Ikari, son of Yui Ikari, and as far as I'm concerned, 'Pops', I have no father. And on that note, there's something I've been wanting to do since you abandoned me."

"And that is?" Gendo asked unaffected.

"This."

With that Shinji punched Gendo hard just below the sternum, sending him to the ground hacking and wheezing.

"See you around, Commander, and if I were you I'd try to stay off my bad side." Shinji said, before stepping over the winded Commander, getting into the car's passenger seat and leaving Asuka and Misato stunned.

"Hey, Misato, Asuka, we going home or you gonna stare at the ass?" Shinji asked rolling down the passenger side window.

In the shadows a pair of red eyes watched the sports car drive off. Kaworu smiled a soft smile, "So it begins… stay strong, Major Katsuragi, Asu-chan, he will need you."

---

Later that night, Asuka stood on the balcony of their apartment staring up at the half moon in the sky. "It's weird isn't it?"

"Misato!" Asuka gasped, spinning around to see her guardian standing at the door. "You almost gave me a heart attack!"

"Sorry," Misato smiled walking out to stand by the younger woman's side. "I just came from his room. He's laying there on his futon with that SDAT player replaying the same damn tracks as always. Only difference is his feet hang over the end of the bed now. It seems so unreal … last night it was just us, the 'morning widows' and then tonight … he's back. What's next? Kaji come prancing in with a bouquet of flowers?"

"I broke the promise …" Asuka said lowly.

"Huh?"

"I broke the promise I made two years ago," Asuka clarified, "his last words were telling me I was his best friend. I swore that if I had one more chance to be with him, I'd be worthy of that, that I'd be his friend. We were together ten minutes and I'm already screaming at him and attacking him. Some best friend, huh?"

"That was actually all the proof I needed to know that he really was Shinji," Misato smiled, before turning back to the younger girl. "Did you take what happened today personally?"

"No…"

"Do you think HE took what happened today personally?"

"I … I hope not …"

"He didn't, trust me," Misato said reassuringly, "You never used to worry about his reaction to your temper?"

Asuka looked away blushing, "Who's worried? I just don't want the Baka running away again right after he came back, that's all."

Asuka then had to grip the railing to keep from falling over from the swift slap to the back of the head. "You're going to talk to Shinji first thing tomorrow, young lady," Misato ordered, glaring at the shocked teenager.

"What? What are you going on about?" Asuka snorted indignantly.

"Here I thought you might have grown up," Misato seethed, glaring at the apparently cocky teen. "You know, Asuka, you've have another chance right in front of your face, but you still decide to just show your ass. Do you have any idea what I'd give … I'm going to bed, good night, Asuka."

"Misato … sorry …" Asuka said softly, causing the elder woman to spin around in surprise. Misato knew it was hard for Asuka to apologize to anyone about anything.

"Sorry for what?" Misato asked with a smirk.

"For being so cranky all the time," Asuka said looking out over Tokyo-3, "Misato, do you think it's really him? I mean … the Shinji I l- knew could barely look his father in the eye let alone damn near knock the old baka out."

"Would it have been any different if what happened two years ago hadn't happened?" Misato asked.

"Huh?" Asuka glanced at her guardian in confusion.

"You're really not the hot headed girl that I met on the Over the Rainbow anymore, you know?" Misato mused, staring at the horizon. "You're now a young woman fighting for her place in the world. You've grown up. Don't get me wrong, Asuka, I was shocked by Shinji's change, but tonight as I laid in bed, I started thinking I was foolish to expect the young, frightened and innocent child I met at the train station. Time waits for no one, Asuka, people grow up, people change, for better or worse. Whether Shinji-kun's change is for the better or for the worse I don't know yet. All I really know is I'm happy to have him home."

"But …" Asuka started, but started to gnaw on her bottom lip while searching for the right words, "What if it isn't for the better?"

"I'm sure we'll be able to whip him back into shape if that's the case," Misato smiled, but then grew solemn. "Asuka, I was and still am in love with Kaji."

Asuka glanced at the older woman with raised eyebrows. This was a fact the German girl was well aware of but this is the first time Misato had admitted to it. "I had a chance to tell him in college … but I got scared and ran away from him." Misato continued, hot tears sliding down her cheeks. "Then I got a second chance, but I let it go, still afraid of what would happen if I told him. I waited too late and I lost him again, and I won't be getting any more chances to tell him what he meant to me."

Asuka gasped as the woman grabbed her by the shoulders and spun her to make her stare her in the eyes, "Asuka, I won't even pretend to know what Shinji means to you, but I knew from the Eighth Angel that there was something with the two of you. Whatever it is, Asuka, don't let it go unsaid. You've been given another chance to set the record straight. I know it's hard for you to open your feelings to anybody. But which would be better, Asuka? Telling Shinji that you at least don't hate him, or stay awake at night thinking about times you could have told him but didn't and knowing no other chance will come? I'd do almost anything for another chance to tell Kaji everything, but that's not possible for me anymore. All I ask if for you not to make my mistake."

Misato leaned forward and kissed the shocked young woman's forehead, "You know, I see you and Shinji both as my children. If you need me for anything, you don't have to ask. Ok? Now get in bed, you've got school in the morning." With that, the Major turned and walked back into the apartment leaving the stunned teen to her thoughts.

---

Kaworu walked into the large office with a blank expression on his face. The Fifth Child silently walked his way to the large desk where Commander Gendo Ikari sat in his usual intimidating pose. "I trust you know why you're here?" Gendo spoke in his usual frigid tone.

"Of course, sir," Kaworu said with a small smile, "I am just surprised it took you till two in the morning to call me up, Commander."

"I had … complications," the older Ikari said, rubbing his hand over the hidden bandages around his ribs, "We both know who and what you are, and we both know you know what has happened to Pilot Ikari over the past two years."

"What has happened was what was meant to happen," Kaworu stated plainly, "It could not have happened in any other way."

"That doesn't answer my question," Gendo growled.

"Yes it does."

"You are trying my patience, child," Gendo hissed, slamming his fist on his desk.

"You call me a child yet you say you know what I am?" Kaworu asked unaffected by the man's rage, "If any in this room is the child, it is you. I am far superior in age if one should look at rotations of the earth around her sun. Were you born when all was spoken into existence? No. Were you there on the true First Impact, when the sacrifice was made to give mankind choice? No. But we could speak of this philosophy all night, and I assume you do not believe in the truth of the Son anyway."

"If I didn't know any better, Angel, I would think you're dodging my questions," Gendo smirked.

"You fear your son now, and you seek reason to destroy him," Kaworu stated knowingly, causing Gendo's eyebrows to go up in momentary awe, "Yes, I know exactly what you want to know." Kaworu nodded at the silence coming from the Commander and continued, "You put a lot of work into breaking his spirit as a small child, arranged for his mother's death in Evangelion Unit 01, arranged for his Uncle to treat him as if he was worthless, took away anything that might remind the boy of his mother's love. You wanted to control him. Now you can no longer control him, and you fear he might turn on you at any time. Is this wrong?"

"You don't have to worry, I have no intention of telling young Shinji," Kaworu nodded, "Because the boy already knows, he has no proof, but he knows who and what you are, and you can not run from him forever." He then shook his head, "You have no excuse to kill him either, even if you could. He has a purpose greater then you can ever fathom."

"I was not afraid of the boy two years ago, and I am not afraid of him now. I already have a method to control even in his new … state." Gendo stated emotionlessly.

"You know not what you do, Commander," Kaworu stated, turning his back, "But I do not believe Shinji is an enemy to mankind, as long as he doesn't associate mankind with someone like you." He then started walking toward the door, "If that is all, I have class in the morning. I find human education quite refreshing. Goodnight, Commander Ikari."

Kaworu walked out and made his way to the elevator. As it lowered the boy to the bottom floor, the red eyed teen leaned against the wall, resting his hand on his temples, "Shinji-kun, please do not let us down. All is counting on you."

To Be Continued …

A/N: thanks everyone for the reviews, now that I finally was able to read them ^^ Don't worry next chapter will have a lot more information on Unit S-01 as well as some more info on what's happened with Asuka, Misato, Rei, Kensuke, Touji and Hikari during Shinji's two year absence and how the boy will take these revelations. And quote all those episode previews from the anime, 'Lots of fansurvice too'! also a short preview of a fic that will be posted later tonight. It's a co written piece I've been working with fellow Fanfic Author Fusion Blaster on for the last week or so. Look for it from 'Fusion Cowboy Productions' and as always, don't forget to review! (PS if you figure out what the fic is a fusion with, don't spoil it for those who don't figure it out.)

As the two stood up they saw dirt everywhere and the car on its side.

"NOOOOOOOO! I still got 33 payments left!" Ms. Katsuragi sighed " Are you okay Shinji?"

"Other than a mouth full of dirt I'm fine Miss Katsuragi."

"No need to call me that. Misato is fine."

"Okay Misato"

"Come on lets get the car right side up and get out of here." They walked up to it. Misato turned her back to it but before she could get against it Shinji quickly gave it a forceful shove and knocked it over. "Your stronger than you look."

"I'm not that strong. It was just luck."

---

I can't stand to fly
I'm not that naïve

---

"You don't have to understand. Just do as I say or all of mankind will perish. The very existence of the human race stands on your shoulders."

"No! Who do you think I am... Superman? I'm no hero!" Shinji shook as his last statement echoed and faded away Various Techs around only looked on and sadly nodded

"Very well then. I have no use for you then. Go."

---

I'm just out to find
the better part of me

---

Ritsuko quickly barked out orders as Shinji trembled in silence. Shortly a door opened and a gurney was wheeled out attended to by two men. Shinji's eyes widened at the site. On it was a girl around his age. She had pale skin and blue hair and seemed to be wearing what resembled a strange flight suit. She was bandaged in several places including over her right eye. Suddenly the quiet voice in the boys mind was louder.

Gendo spoke in his cold voice "Rei you will pilot. The spare is useless."

In a soft almost frail voice she spoke. "Yes sir." Rei tried to sit up. It was obvious to all around she was in great pain as she made it to the far end of the catwalk. The voice now was firm in Shinji's mind telling him to do it.

Then all looked up to the ceiling as it felt the entire world shook. Gendo said what all there already knew. "The angel. It knows we're here."

Then with even greater force the earth shook again, this time knocking several girders loose along with several lights. Most everyone there was knocked off their feet. Misato looked over to Rei whose gurney was tipped over and was surprised with what she saw.

---

I'm more than a bird
I'm more than a plane
more than some pretty face beside a train

---

Slowly standing was Shinji cradling Rei in his arms. "You caught her?"

---

It's not easy to be me

---

Shinji covered his ears, as Asuka screamed, he finally shook his head, and gripped the controls of Unit 01, "Misato, I'm launching!"

"No," Commander Ikari said coldly, "You will remain on standby, as you are told."

"Father …" Shinji growled gripping the controls till they began to pop and crack from the pressure from his anger and the sounds of Asuka's torture.

---

Wish that I could cry
fall upon my knees

---

"It's … It's raping my mind!!!" Asuka screamed over the communications system, the only thing working on Unit 01, but when Shinji thought it couldn't get worse, it did.

"Shinji! Shinji, why aren't you OUT HERE???" She half screamed, half sobbed, "Why aren't you trying to save me?? Help me please, Misato … Wondergirl … Shinji … someone help me … please …"

---

Find a way to lie
About a home I'll never see

---

"Major, Commander, something's happening to 01!" Maya cried, as Misato and Gendo glanced over the woman's shoulder, "Its Entry Plug's … rupturing from … the inside."

---

It may sound absurd
But don't be naïve

---

If Asuka wasn't gripping her head in pain, she might have noticed a flash of something, moving faster then a speeding bullet along the line of light toward the Angel hiding in orbit.

---

Even heroes have the right to bleed

---

"Where … where did it go?" Maya asked, as the light suddenly disappeared.

"Where did what go?" Misato blinked.

"The Angel … it's … gone."

---

I may be disturbed
But won't you concede
Even heroes have the right to dream

---

"Major, Pilot Sohyru's gone as well," Maya said in a panicky tone.

Ritsuko put the phone down, before glancing at Misato, "No she's not. Shinji just carried her into the hospital wing ER."

---

It's not easy to be me

---

Shinji stared helplessly at his friend, one of his few true friends, held tightly in the grasp of Unit 01's massive hand.

---

Up, up and away
Away from me
It's all right

---

"Don't make me do this …" Shinji whispered, tears brimming his eyes.

"You must … if you don't all mankind shall die," Kaworu said with a sad smile, 01's grip holding his body tight, "It must begin."

---

You can all sleep sound tonight
I'm not crazy
Or anything

---

"What?" Shinji asked, his voice raising, "What must begin?"

---

I can't stand to fly
I'm not that naive

---

"Your never ending battle of course."

---

Men weren't meant to ride
With clouds between their knees

---

Misato stood before the older man, and gasped when he shoved a blue and red duffle bag in her arms. "Give this to him when he's ready."

"What is it?" Misato asked curiously.

---

I'm only a man in a silly red sheet
Digging for kryptonite on this one way street

---

Misato carefully unzipped the bag with a trembling hand, but what she saw in the bag made her drop it in shock, "Are you … trying to tell me … he's … he's gonna be?"

---

Only a man in a funny red sheet
Looking for special things inside of me

---

The old man gave a small smile and a nod, causing Misato's hand to go to her mouth, "I knew he was special but … oh my God …"

---

It's not easy to be me

---

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION: ANGEL REBORN

Coming soon

Also an Omáke deleted scene:

Misato leaned forward and kissed the shocked young woman's forehead, "You know, I see you and Shinji both as my children. If you need me for anything, you don't have to ask. Ok? Now get in bed, you've got school in the morning." With that, the Major turned and walked back into the apartment leaving the stunned teen to her thoughts.

Asuka watched her for a moment before walking into her room, firmly locking the door. She then opened her closet door to stare at a small wooden shrine with photos of Shinji decorating it, and on its small shelf were various items that belong to the young Ikari on it.

She lit a couple of candles before pulling the tied up Pen-Pen to place him on the shrine, "He's back, so now you want to be my sacrifice to my Shinji-chan, Pen-Pen?"

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKK!!!" the warm water penguin screamed in horror, echoing through the night.