Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Neon Genesis Evangelion: Power of the Spirit ❯ Chapter 0:5 Secrets of Unit S-01 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 0:5

Secrets of Unit S-01

A marvelous scent filled Asuka's nostrils, pulling her from her dreams. She slowly climbed out of her bed and made her way to the hallway, where she found a drowsy Misato with the same shocked expression. "I don't know about you, Asuka, but I've missed waking up to this …" Misato said, her eyes growing weepy yet again.

"You act like he's dead again, Misato," Asuka rolled her eyes and started walking toward the kitchen, "Now come on I'm … Mien … Gott …" the redheaded teen froze at the sight in the kitchen.

"Guten Morgen, Asuka," Shinji said, standing in the kitchen in only jogging pants. "Still sunny side up for you two?"

A-huh …" the girls nodded dumbly staring at his bare broad shoulders and muscular back and arms working over the stove.

"Your … back … is that where …" Misato spoke up looking at the dark strips along his back and shoulders.

"Where I was … questioned or tortured?" Shinji asked turning with the skillet in his hand, "I guess, I really don't remember. Way it looks I'm kind of glad I can't remember what happened to me."

"Does it … hurt?" Misato asked worriedly approaching the taller teen.

"Nope, a little stiff in the mornings but nothing painful," Shinji smiled warmly making Misato blush slightly. "I say something wrong?"

"I've never seen you smile like that before, Shinji-kun … you should more often, son," Misato nodded, jumping when the skillet crashed to the table almost spilling its contents. "Shin?"

"Sorry," Shinji blushed before picking the skillet back up, and placing some eggs in Misato's plate, then in his and Asuka's. "M-Maybe I will smile a bit more now. I mean … being dead for two years does make one change his outlook on life a bit."

"Believe it or not, son, I can relate … what?" Misato asked, noticing Shinji's odd expression.

"Just curious," Shinji said nervously, the old timid Shinji showing himself again, "why do you keep calling me 'son'?"

Misato blinked curiously, "I hadn't even realized I was referring to you like that. Not really surprised with myself though, I've told Asuka more then a few times I've thought of you both as my children." Misato squeaked when the larger boy grabbed her in a hug.

Shinji only took a second before he realized what he was doing and released her blushing fiercely, "I'm sorry Misato I …" Shinji stuttered scratching the back of his head, before turning to Asuka who was still standing in the door way in what appeared to be shock. "Um, you want your eggs, Asuka?"

"Eggs?" Asuka asked curiously, her dazed eyes not leaving Shinji's arms and chest.

"You're breakfast is getting cold," Misato spoke up, thoroughly enjoying the situation.

"Breakfast?" She asked again, looking at Shinji with a look that was at one time reserved only for Kaji.

Shinji chuckled, before grabbing her plate and holding it in front of her face, "See Asuka, breakfast, eggs, have you forgotten your Japanese?"

"ARE YOU CALLING ME FORGETFUL, BAKA?!?" Asuka shouted, snapping right into her 'pissed-off mode'.

"There, that's better," Shinji said, sitting her plate back in her place and setting down in his own.

The three ate their breakfast in silence. "That was delicious Shinji!" Misato cheered happily, before standing from the table, "Now I've got some work to do, Ritsuko wants me to help her-"

"Examine Unit S-01, I know," Shinji smiled strangely, "Dr. Akagi has already been looking at her."

"Huh? How do you know?" Misato blinked, taken back by the strangeness in Shinji's tone and words.

"I … don't know," Shinji lied, shaking his head before Asuka got to her feet.

"I have to go, I'll be late for school if I don't hurry!" Asuka said running to her bedroom.

"What's the rush, we still have an hour?" Shinji questioned, glancing at his watch.

"Asuka has to be there earlier then everyone else," Misato said, before disappearing into her own bedroom leaving Shinji alone in the kitchen.

Shinji listened as the two doors shut before glancing down at the dirty dishes on the table, "Guess this is still my job … how did those two survive without me?"

---

"Sorry I'm late, Ritsuko," Misato gasped running into the observation room above Unit S-01's cage, "So you started without me?"

"Of course, I don't have the patience to wait for you to get over your hangover and finally drag yourself into work," Ritsuko smirked teasingly.

"So what have we found out about our new little friend?" Misato asked looking over Ritsuko's shoulder at the reading.

"The base organism is a complete DNA match for the Eva core of Unit 01, as does several components of the armor," Ritsuko explained. "It also has several systems that have downloaded explanations into the Magi's hard drive. It has an A2 Drive, which operates like an S2 Engine only with a much higher output ratio so the Unit doesn't need the Umbilical Cord. Also it has anti-matter generators in its hands and the Beta Wings making it give off a field of energy that can penetrate AT Fields as if they were nothing but air. It also has six wings, at first glance it would appear to be just like Unit 05's flight units, but they're very much different. Its Alpha Wings are quite thick but short, their purpose is propulsion. Its Beta Wings are the longest and thinnest. They are made for holding flight as well as weapons with its blade-like feathers segments each containing anti-matter generators. Then the Gamma Wings are like a combination of the first two sets, seems to be used for flight control."

Ritsuko then pressed a few buttons and a diagram of the Unit's armor came up. "The armor is what puzzles me. It's like 01's even seems to show signs from where it was damaged during its fight with the Archangels two years ago. But it's been rebuilt and bulked up. Thicker but lighter then it was before. All and all this is quite possibly the perfect Evangelion."

"I feel a 'but' coming online," Misato groaned.

"BUT the question is, how the hell did it get on base? Before the battle all scans showed Unit 01's cage was empty. Then all of the sudden during the battle, this thing was being moved to the catapult. It just doesn't make sense. Who rebuilt the Eva, and where did it and Shinji come from, where were they for the last two years, I just don't understand at all. It makes NO sense!"

"I know, Shinji said he has no idea how he got there, all he knew was that he knew we were in trouble and he had to help," Misato mused.

"Something isn't right, Misato," Ritsuko sighed, sitting back in her chair, "Commander?" she gasped sitting straight up as the man stood in the doorway.

"Hello, Doctor," Gendo said before turning his cold gaze to Misato, "Major."

"Yes C-Commander." Misato said in a low frightened voice.

"I require your … services, Major," Gendo stated with a smirk.

"But sir, I have …" Misato started but he just turned his back.

"Come with me, Major."

Misato bowed her head, and glanced back to see Ritsuko staring intently at her monitor, making a few quick glances her way. The dark haired woman finally sighed and followed Commander Ikari out of the room.

"Sir, please …" Misato whimpered as she walked behind the Commander.

"We shall go to your apartment, Major," Ikari said coldly.

"But sir, the kids … they'll …" Misato choked, "Sir I …"

"Your finger prints are on the gun that killed Ryouji," Gendo stated with a hint of amusement in his voice, "I trust you remember the deal."

"You bastard!" Misato screamed in rage, "I was following your orders, you said you'd take Shinji and Asuka away from me if I didn't, and now you're still playing these games?!?"

"Asuka has been doing well, but she is replaceable," Gendo shrugged, "And … Shinji already has a grave, shame to waste it."

"You … you bastard …" Misato cursed before gasping when Gendo grabbed her arm.

"Lets go."

---

Shinji walked out the door locking it behind him and was surprised to see Rei and Kensuke standing there waiting. "Hurry up Shin-man, we're gonna be late," Kensuke stated, smiling at the shocked expression Shinji had on his face while staring at his and Rei's joined hands.

"Is something wrong, Ikari-kun?" Rei asked tilting her head in wonder.

"You and Kensuke?" Shinji stuttered.

"Come, we will explain on the way," Rei stated, pulling Shinji and Kensuke down the hall, "The Class Rep frowns on tardiness."

The three were silent on the elevator down to the street but as the three got in Kensuke's blue jeep Rei finally took a deep breath, "A lot has changed in your absence, Ikari-kun," Rei began, glancing at her boyfriend in the driver's seat. "To your earlier question, Ikari-kun, yes, Kensuke and I are together now. After your death, some …events, including your death itself, took place that had an effect on me. I began … experiences emotions that I had never before: anger, fear, sadness, hatred, and … loneliness. A year after you left us, Kensuke began working as an intern communications officer under Major Katsuragi's command. He was the first to take notice of my situation, and he approached me. At first … I tried to avoid him, as I was trying to ignore the changes that were overcoming me, but his -what Pilot Sohryu called- foolish determination caused even more unusual emotions to form inside of me. I began to feel embarrassed and shyness around him, and finally I summoned enough courage to approach him, and ask him to … help me understand what was happening to me." Rei gave a faint chuckle, "When I told him what was happening to me, he said 'welcome to the Human Race'."

The albino girl blushed slightly before continuing, "After your wake, I was introduced to alcohol by Major Katsuragi and I have rather enjoyed its effects. Kensuke and I officially became what you would call an item after a painful event in which I do not wish to talk about. He stayed with me, as I required his comfort as well as the comfort of alcohol. We woke together the next morning in my bed, both of us completely undressed and with what Major Katsuragi calls a 'hang under'."

"Hang over, sweetheart," Kensuke corrected, earning a glare from the girl.

"As I was saying," Rei started again, a weak smile on her face. "We both confessed that morning that there was a mutual attraction and a feeling of safety and care in each other's presence. For the first time in my life, Ikari-kun, in Ken-chan's presence, I am truly happy."

"I'm happy for you, Ayanami," Shinji smiled placing a hand on both his friends' shoulders, "I'm happy for the both of you."

"Thanks, Shinji," they both said as they pulled into the school parking lot.

"Now lets go before the Class Rep has our heads for being late." Kensuke said as they ran into the school building.

---

Kensuke and Rei walked into the class first. Kensuke wanted to warn Touji and Hikari before Shinji walked in. A moment later Rei's head popped out of the doorway, "Ikari-kun, we are ready for your entry now." Rei said in her usual emotionless tone, but her eyes were twinkling and a small smile played on her lips.

Shinji nodded and walked into the door, but as soon as both feet were in the room, "YOU'RE ALIVE!!!!" He heard Touji's voice scream, and suddenly felt his body being crushed in a vice-like hug.

"Touji … I … won't be … much longer … if you don't … let me breathe …" Shinji gasped, as his old friend finally let him go.

"Sorry, Shinji," Touji blushed, as Hikari quickly ran over to them.

"Touji! The doctors said you still don't need to get excited!" Hikari said worriedly, before giving the winded Shinji a hug, "I'm so happy to see you're alright Shinji!" the girl sighed hugging the now much taller boy, "And you've grown so tall, you're even now more of a jock then Touji was."

"Hey! I'm still a jock and proud of it!" Touji stated indignantly.

"Like hell you are!" Hikari barked, stunning Shinji, "No boyfriend of mine is going to be a jock after all you've been through, now set your ass down in your desk and be good, clear?"

"Crystal," Touji said quickly, moving with a slight limp to his desk.

Shinji smirked and made a whip sound before something clicked, "Touji … you're walking?"

Touji looked up at his old friend, "Yup! And check this out! See arm?" Touji gripped his arm and with a click his arm slid off, "No Arm," he reattached the limb. "Arm," he then snapped it back off again, "No arm!"

"That's a little disturbing, man …" Shinji said flinching.

"Yea I know!" Touji smiled, "Ain't it cool?"

"Touji!" Hikari scolded.

"He'll be ok, Class Rep," Shinji smiled.

"Oh, I'm not the Class Representative anymore, Shinji-kun," Hikari blushed slightly, "I gave it up to help Touji more in his rehabilitation."

"Then who is the new Class Rep?" Shinji asked, and all three began to smile. "I don't like that look guys …" Shinji gulped as the teacher walked into the room. Shinji's eyes widened as Asuka stood up.

"RISE! BOW! SIT!"

"ASUKA????"

---

"What's the matter, Third Child," Asuka asked, walking up to Shinji, Kensuke, Rei, Touji and Hikari's lunch table, "Surprised that I could be Class Rep?" she asked beaming with pride and arrogance.

"Well I remember your grades not being so good," Shinji said, avoiding eye contact.

Asuka snorted and looked down her nose at her fellow Eva pilot, "You KNOW that was because I couldn't understand the questions, but now that I've learned to read your silly little language, I rule and you drool."

"Oh really?" Shinji asked, a glimmer of mischievousness flashed in his eyes, catching the attention of everyone but Asuka.

"Yes, Really, if there was anyone more suitable for being Class Representative, it is the Great Asuka Langley Sohryu!" Asuka said, sticking her chest out and holding her head high.

"You're absolutely right, Asuka," Shinji smiled, "You're perfect for the job."

Asuka turned to him, and in all her greatness could only come up with one response, "Huh?"

"I mean look at all the evidence, Asuka," Shinji stood up and walked to stand before you, "You're a genius, you've already graduated college, you are the greatest Eva pilot to grace an Entry Plug, you've got the looks of a goddess, and the voice of a singing bird. What else would one want in a Class Rep?"

Kensuke began to cough loudly, 'Coughcoughbullshitcoughcoughlotsofbullshitcough …'

Shinji smiled at the awestruck Asuka, "I'm serious, you're awesome."

Asuka narrowed her eyes, "BAKA HENTAI!" She screamed slapping him in the face.

"What'd I do?" Shinji asked, trying to keep from laughing.

"You know EXACTLY what you did!" Asuka yelled, "You were trying to get in my pants! Pervert! If you think saying some nice things to my face will make me sleep with you, you've got another thing coming. Baka!"

"You know something," Shinji asked, giving a lopsided grin, "You're kind of hot when you get pissed off."

"You … You …" Asuka hissed, before rearing back to slap him again, but this time Shinji was ready.

Shinji easily caught the slap by her wrist. Asuka blink in surprise before attempting a slap with the other hand, but Shinji caught it again. "Oh, you think you have me, don't you, Baka? Well think again!"

"Hope you didn't plan on having kids," Asuka said as she kicked her leg back and swung it forward targeting the vulnerable point between his legs.

Shinji easily caught her leg between his knees, and smiled at the shocked look the German gave him. "I did think again, and I still think I have you." Shinji's smile widened more, as Asuka's eyes grew wide with rage and shock.

"That's it! Cleaning duty!" Asuka barked.

"Ok, that's cool, Asuka-chan," Shinji smiled, leaning forward and kissing Asuka softly on the tip of her nose as he let her go.

Asuka let out a gasp and fell back on the ground, holding her upper body up by her arms. She immediately started crawling backwards all the way against the wall.

"See ya after class for clean up duty, Class Rep!" Shinji said walking past the stunned Eva Pilot on his way to his next class.

"Stupid Baka …" Asuka mumbled climbing back to her feet, then glancing around the dead silent lunch room, "WHAT??"

With that the room once again filled with conversation. Satisfied Asuka spun around and started toward her next class.

Back at the table, Touji, Kensuke, Rei, and Hikari all looked at each other.

"One month," Kensuke stated.

"Nope, two weeks tops," Touji stated, "give or take a day."

"They're both two stubborn," Hikari clicked her tongue, "Four months."

"I have sixty credits that say three months," Rei said catching the other three by surprise.

Then all four said in unison while placing their hands in a four way handshake, "Your on!"

---

After school and clean up Asuka and Shinji slowly walked down the street toward their apartment, Shinji trying to keep from chuckling at the constant scowl on Asuka's face. "You going to stay mad at me forever, Asuka?" Shinji asked glancing over at the steaming girl.

"Yes," Asuka grumbled. Folding her arms under her chest.

Shinji chuckled as they both walked into the apartment complex and entered the elevator. They remained silent till they got into their apartment when Shinji finally spoke up, "Would it help if I said I'm sorry."

"You know the answer to that one, Baka," Asuka said, taking a beer from the refrigerator.

"When did you start drinking?" Shinji asked eyeing her chug a can.

"Two years ago," Asuka stated, wiping her mouth with the back of her arm, "Aren't you supposed to be at NERV testing out your new toy?"

"Ritsuko called, tests were postponed till tomorrow," Shinji shrugged sitting down at the kitchen table, "Not sure why."

Asuka shook his head, "Misato probably canceled because of a date or something," Asuka shrugged, but her eyes widened when she heard Misato's door open and close. "Whoa, she's here … during the day no less!"

But when Asuka glanced behind Shinji toward the hallway, she dropped her can at the person who stepped into the kitchen with his shirt and uniform jacket draped over his shoulder.

"Asuka what's …" Shinji started, spinning around to see what had caused her to take Rei's skin tone. "W-what?" Shinji gasped, jumping to his feet as he came face to face with his father.

"Hello, Shinji," Gendo smiled evilly, "Lt. Major Sohyru. If you'll excuse me, Major Katsuragi has served her purpose for the day."

The two teens watched the Commander walk out of the apartment in awe. Asuka turned her attention to the trembling with anger Shinji. She had never once seen him this angry. "I … I'll go check on Misato." Asuka said softly.

"Fine, whatever, I'm going to go catch up with my old man," Shinji growled, "I think we need another talk."

To Be Continued …

--Omáke-

The albino girl blushed slightly before continuing, "After your wake, I was introduced to alcohol by Major Katsuragi and I have rather enjoyed its effects. Kensuke and I officially became what you would call an item after a painful event in which I do not wish to talk about. He stayed with me, as I required his comfort as well as the comfort of alcohol. We woke together the next morning in my bed, both of us completely undressed and with what Major Katsuragi calls a 'hang under'."

"Hang over, sweetheart," Kensuke corrected, earning a glare from the girl.

"Ken-chan, are you calling me stupid?" Rei asked sweetly, and Kensuke began to sweat.

"N-no of course not, baby."

"Are you sure?" Rei asked again, her eyes narrowing into slits.

"I was just pointing out that you were mistaken in that sentence that's all."

"So you're saying I was wrong?"

"Well, kind of … yeah I guess that was what I was saying …" Kensuke gulped.

A moment later Rei was out of her seat and had the blonde headed boy in a painful headlock, "Say it, Kensuke, You know what to say."

"Yes, Rei-chan!" Kensuke gulped as Shinji reached over his shoulder to hold the wheel, "You are never wrong, and I am never right, I'm your bitch and you're my master!"

Rei immediately sat back with a content look on her pale face.

"She's been hanging around Asuka huh?" Shinji asked the gasping Kensuke.

"Yup."