Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Reminiscent ❯ Chapter 2 (Part 2) ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2 (Part 2)
 
A/N: I don't know why this part of the chapter doesn't display with chapter 2, despite it being on my file >.< So this is posted as the second part of chapter 2, I suppose … I'll get it figured out sooner or later and fix it. Thanks and just bear with me here?
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
Pushing the sleeves further up his arm so not to accidentally soak his white shirt in the bucket of water he was carrying, the thinly framed boy made his way towards the sofa with much difficulty. Three white towels now turned blood red were discarded mindlessly on the polished wooden floor and more were to follow as the Shinji gently dabbed at Rei's wounds.
 
“What the hell happened to you, Wonder Girl?” Her arms were folded against her chest as the red-haired EVA pilot casually leaned against a column. Asuka didn't particularly care about the state her co-pilot was in; she only opened her mouth to end the dreadful silence that befell them since the albino's unexpected entrance into their home.
 
“Just another simulation exam failed. The causes of my poor results are most probable due to the low synchronization rates I've been receiving.” The First Child replied officially, her usual emotional detachment in place, much resembling that of Commander Ikari's, except much less cooler.
 
“They're going to kill you one day, and you won't protest a word as long as your precious Commander gives the orders.” The Second Child sneered, flipping her hair from one shoulder to another.
 
“Dying is simply a part of life, if my death would further the NERV/SEELE mission, the termination of my life would be inevitable. Rebirth would soon follow.” She stated much like dictating the words from a textbook even though the topic at hand was of her death.
 
“You are a doll, Wondergirl, and I have no clue why the baka likes you.” The Second Child replied, pointing her head at the boy standing over the First Child.
“Pay Asuka-san no heed, she seldom means what she says and even less says what she means.” Shinji whispered cautiously, receiving a small nod of reply from Rei.”
 
“I heard that, baka!” Her retaliation was swift and rather painful. The German girl's palm collided with Shinji's cheek with a deafening noise. The instant she did, the First Child felt a sudden urge to defend her co-pilot and inflict the same act upon the Second Child.
 
“Do not strike the Third Child for he was merely stating his opinion, and in this case, the truth.” Rei's voice was calm as usual, portraying only a fraction of the stirring emotions within her. She not only surprised the rest of the occupants of the room (including Pen Pen) but also herself with her unusual outspokenness.
 
The First Child's order-like words were received with mild neglect and an occasional muttering from the redhead, whose face now matched the colour of her vibrant hair perfectly. The German pilot cursed in her native tongue, though her voice was reduced to hiss-like whispers from behind the counter where she opened a chilled can of beer. Asuka didn't know why she was taking the `bullshit' from the Wondergirl, but somehow didn't feel like arguing with her fellow pilot- which came as both a surprise and relief to the Third Child.
 
“Anyways … they shouldn't strain you physically like this, and I'm willing to bet that you're not in the best of mental stability either.” Shinji broke the silence and the tension that came with it. Perhaps he didn't patch things up between the rival girls, but he certainly blinded the truth for the moment being in the small, cramped apartment.
 
“It is none of your concern.” Rei replied automatically, despite the seemingly cold response, her voice held none of the bitter emotion. As a fact, one would be amazed to know that it held any sort of feeling at all - let alone the tingling sensation of slight embarrassment that the blue-haired albino did feel. Ayanami, the silent and often suspected as the `deep' one, was unused to the concern Shinji was nearly openly admit to having. And although she knew of almost no other alternative to what she could've said, Rei felt obliged to try by the somewhat hurt (but nicely patched up) expression on the boy. “But thank you, Ikari …” Her voice was unsure and the words came out somewhat awkwardly, but Shinji didn't mind and smiled brightly in assurance.
 
“Godverdomme …” The empty tin can made a alerting sound as it was set (although smashed would have been a more accurate word) on the glass counter, “Spare me the mush, however a pathetic attempt you two are making - it's almost worth me hurling over.” Asuka snarled, closed the fridge with a push of her leg and disappeared to her room, pent up complaints half-heard on her way through the decorated doorway.
 
Shinji blinked, stunned for a mere moment by the negative reaction before shrugging and cleaning up after the mess the German girl somehow managed to create from a simple can of beer. He left the bucket of lukewarm water and the bleached towel close to Rei's side so she could help herself as he straightened up the kitchen nearby.
 
“Why do you allow yourself to be stepped on by her?” Ayanami questioned curiously. Shinji remained silent for a moment, stopping whatever it was he was doing before he looked her in the eye and responded.
 
“Why do you submit yourself to the Commander?”
 
 
A/N: Ok … I haven't written in a while, so forgive me if it's lame. But it seems like I have somewhere to go with this fic again, so I'm happy. Reviews, as usual, are greatly appreciated.