Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Reminiscent ❯ Chores ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Reminiscent
 
Chapter 2
 
Author's Note: Sorry to everyone for taking such a long time to update, but hey, that's the way it works for me. I just don't seem to update on a regular basis. Thank you to all my reviewers! I have yet to address the reviews … I might as well start now.
 
Disclaimer: Don't own anything but the plot.
 
 
“Akagi-san, how are the experiments with our new dummy plug system coming along?”
 
His tone chilled not only the spacious executive office he occupied but also the underground laboratories wherein his voice was received through the phone. Fingers flexed against each other in a pyramid formation on the varnished mahogany bureau the commander sat. Clear spectacles that somehow hid his cool gaze at the precise reflection of the light would've blinded anyone who laid eyes on him, if they were ever allowed in his proximity. The commander seldom left his office these days; other employees of NERV often wondered if the shady man resided within the four dark walls of his top-floor room. The rumours had some basis of truth; besides lurking around the humongous testing grounds and local facilities that was NERV, the contemptuous man was rarely seen by the general public.
 
To his only son, he was but a shadowy figure, a source of constant pain and the reason for his self-loathing, apathetic personality. To his surrogate daughter, he was the all-knowing God whom she both obeyed yet despised. To doctor Akagi, he was the man of worship, her source of detached, infrequent sexual experience. To his deceased wife, he was the man she once loved, the one twisted by the mind, manipulated by God into insanity whom she loved anyways.
 
“They're performing as expected sir,” was the firm reply with little or no emotion behind the words at all.
 
After all emotion was only a public display of weakness, or so she was told. Her friend, Misato Katsuragi was the perfect example.
 
The recently promoted Major was known to be not only temperamental but also to rule by heart instead of mind, which is considered detrimental to any high-ranking job, especially one where she constantly put young teenagers' lives on the line. Dr. Akagi was convinced that in some unfortunate stroke of luck, a life was lost; the major would never be able to surpass the guilt. Secretly, Akagi had been gunning for Katsuragi's position for ages, but of course, she'd never verbalize that particular statement.
 
“So I'm assuming not too well.”
 
“That cannot be assumed at this time. Evangelion Unit 00 has yet to properly synchronize with the test subject. The progress is currently advancing 5% per minute.” She reported, pushing the brims of her spectacles closer to her eyes as she read the notes from her binder.
 
“Very well, inform me when synchronization level has reached an acceptable level. We will then begin simulation and tests from the mainframe.” Commander Ikari ordered and disconnected the intercom from his telephone, turning off the giant screen mounted on the wall of his office as he did so.
 
•·.·