Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Sibling Bonds ❯ An Encounter with Truth ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimers:
Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc., are
property of ADVision and Gainax. I only *wish* they were mine.
Please try to be good to me, this is my first stab at an Evangelion “Only" Fic.
This story is NOT final, there will be more revisions, so keep checking up on the chapters.

Sibling Bonds

Chapter #4: An Encounter with Truth

Author's Notes: As I started to write this chapter, a change of title was in order.
I hope you like this chapter, read on. I also changed the format a bit to make it more readable,
if you like it please let me know!

As the morning sun shown through a part in the curtains, it landed squarely on a closed eye. As that eye twitched and was forced open by the light hitting it's eyelid, a quiet sigh was heard with in the confines of the room. Shinji Ikari, was stirring awake again.

As reality started to flow into his mind, the nights dreams slowly filtered away he felt a weight on his side, pinning his right arm. At first he wasn't pleased that he would have to wake it up, but then he looks towards the that arm and saw a sea of red hair. Instantly, he recognized the hair belonging to his fiery roommate and now, new girlfriend Asuka Langley Sohryu.

He then remembers the faint and distant dream he had just before he awoke. It was of him and her walking down a quiet and festively adorned street, hand in hand, with rings in each of their fourth right hand fingers. Both were smiling and happy.

As he looked back at his dream his love stirred and slowly opened her deep blue eyes. As their eyes locked on each other, they shared a quiet moment of love and contentment between them. This was broken by Asuka moving up to Shinji with and shared a long and passionate kiss. After a few second of stiffness from Shinji he melted into the kiss and returned it to a surprised Asuka. After they came up for breath a minute later they each had goofy grins on their faces and settled down onto the bed in a tight embrace. As she hugged him tightly, Asuka said "I really don't want to get up My Baka Shinji." which was what Shinji was thinking as well. And they settled down to go back to sleep, when the piercing and warbled voice of their Guardian, Misato called them to get up and get ready for school. Two loud and clear groans were heard. Luckily for the pilots, Misato was exiting the bathroom after a quick shower not paying attention that the groans came from only one bedroom!

After two dirty looks were given at the closed door of their guardian's room, Asuka made for the bathroom while Shinji headed for the kitchen to make breakfast for his room mates, as well as the pilot's lunches. After Asuka finished her bath and got ready for school in her room, she started thinking of the previous night's events and how the changed relationship with Shinji would be handled outside of the apartment. ["How do we act with our friends now?"] She had to find a way where they could introduced their being a couple while hopefully avoiding the stooges, and other classmates teasing of her and Shinji. ["God, It's going to take me some time to not berate him in public."] . She knew that he would accept her criticism in private (as he had explained in last night's talk that they had). However, changing her habit of calling him baka, stupid, Dumkoph, and other names were going to be difficult. However, Shinji told her he would understand.

{FLASHBACK}
"No, I have to stop calling you that in public because I want all of those Baka's to know that your mine, and I'm yours!" This blew Shinji's mind. Nevertheless, after retrieving his jaw from the floor he gave her a kind smile and hugged her.
{END FLASHBACK}

She cleared her mind of her thoughts knowing that she and Shinji would figure something out as they walked to school.
Shinji was having his own thoughts as he finished fixing Breakfast and lunch . He headed to the bathroom for his shower where he did a lot of thinking. As he washed, he was thinking of his changed status. ["I'm part of a couple!. Wow, who could have seen this coming, especially insecure me, and The Great Asuka Langley Sohryu is my girlfriend!"] After glowing in the fact of his new found relationship, he remembered his original mission, "Who was Rei ? Was he related to her? If so how?" He needed to find out from the source, Rei herself.
Shinji finally determined to talk to her after the Harmonics test today, and even Asuka might help, after he had explained to her why! ["God, I hope she can understand, I have to know if she's ,,she's,,,,, who what ever she is I need to know!"]
After his bath, he dressed, ate and after yelling a good-bye to a sleepy & groggy Misato, headed to school, with his now girlfriend & room mate Asuka.

Rei was also making her way toward Tokyo-3 Junior High school. Although she had her normal emotionless look, she had many things on her mind. Upper most in her thoughts was wanting to talk to Shinji. She had to have the answers to her questions just as much as Shinji wanted. She as usual, was first in the classroom, and sat staring off, out the classroom's window, waiting for her fellow pilots. "Why do I want to talk to Ikari-kun About this, why not the commander?", she thought. Then she realized that he would be going through similar emotions as she would. "He is an adolescent, yet he has treated me with kindness without asking for anything in return. I will ask him after the Harmonics tests then." She thought as several students came in, with Rei never acknowledging them.

Shinji and Asuka made their way towards their school holding hands. Shinji was thinking of a way to ask Asuka for her help with Rei. He knew Asuka was ambivalent about the first child, but he knew he would need to have her help, rather than having her mad at him for not telling her in the first place. He knew his volatile girlfriend could blow up on him now, but he would rather get it over with now, and not risk his newfound love for her.
"Asuka-chan, (Looking lovingly at her eyes) Iíd like to ask you a favor?" Shinji asked.
"Yes, my Baka-kun, what do you want my love (I really am beginning to enjoy this!)."
Well, I have a problem involving Rei Ayanami." At this Asuka, stopped walking and also stopped Shinji since they were holding hands, "What about Rei, Shinji?" now with a hint of concern more for what Shinji was about to say, rather than what she felt about Rei.
"Well, I think that Rei has some connection to… my mother!" stated a nervous Shinji!
"Ok, I'll bite, what about Rei, and your Mom." Asuka asked nervously, (quietly remembering fleeting glimpses of her deceased mother).
"Well, it's better that I show you Auska-chan", and Shinji pulled out his laptop. Within a few minutes as they continued to school, he had used Kensuke's Morphing program to show the similarities in features with first Rei, and his Mother Yui, then Rei and himself.
Asuka was shocked, not only because the pictures did seem to prove some connection between Rei and Yui, but with Shinji and Rei, they could be brother and sister to her observation at least. Then she also thought how the way Shinji had shown initiative, which he was not known to have much of, in trying to find this information, at least before the tenth Angel Attack.
"OK, lover, I'll help you with Rei, but you need to help me with a little plan I've been thinking about that would kill two birds with one stone." After Shinji warily agreed, they continued on and as they made their way to school she explained her plan to him. His face got a more worried look at each step they took, and each word she spoke. "Are you sure, I don't know if they like each other?" Just follow my lead and I promise to continue what we started yesterday, tonight!" She winked and kissed him!
He felt wobbly, as his legs seem to turn to jelly, but realization overcame him, as she yanked him down the street towards their school.

Kensuke woke up with a start and his father's bayonet in his hands. After last night's, visit by the lovely Dr. Ibuki, he was nervous about Section 2 agents bursting in and taking him away. But, then he remembered that she hinted at least he interpreted it as such, that he was safe for now. "So, What to do about the good Doctor?" He came up with a good plan, (at least he thought so), he used his hacking skills and before he left for school, candies and flowers were headed for a certain Doctor, and that was just the first of many from an enamored Kensuke Aida.

Just before they turned the corner to the school they attended, Asuka stopped Shinji who were holding hands, and quickly went over her plan. Shinji shook his head yes, and with that, Asuka leaned in and gave him another long & passionate kiss (Their first real passionate one at least) with each holding the other tightly. After separating & recovering from it (It took at least a minute more) , they made their way to the school.
As they entered their class populated by about half the class, they started their plan.

"Well, Baka you could have walked a lot faster to school, we could have been late" started Asuka.

"I'm sorry." came the standard Shinji comment.

"Well you should be you bumbling Baka!" Asuka said to that answer.

This went on through the time that the Sensei came into class. Their friends, Kensuke, Touji, & Hikari seem not to notice a change between the two pilots, but the first child, who most assumed wouldn't have noticed anything had noticed the way both were speaking with each other. The usual edge to their comments to each other was gone. Though she didn't directly see them, as she was facing the classroom windows, she saw their reflections on them as they spoke and noted changes in their speech inflections. "There is a change between them. I will ask Shinji of this later" thought a internally confused Rei. Others never saw this due to her emotionless expression.

At lunchtime, down in the courtyard, Asuka was sitting next to Hikari and several other girls as the three stooges sat opposite to the girls. Most of the questions the boys had for Shinji had been about Misato. Shinji knew Asuka's plan would now work because he saw the boys had no clue of what would be happening. Asuka for her part, kept her facade up as the girls she was sitting with gossiped mostly about boys and who liked whom? Rei, who sat alone and away from the rest was observing the area sensing that something was about to happen. As she observed Asuka turned up a brow, as Shinji nodded. Within 5 seconds Asuka yelled at Shinji they he had forgot a dessert in her lunch, Shinji responded that she was blind, or just losing her senses. Both groups they were sitting with reacted with surprise and laughter.
"The married couple are fighting again" stated Touji loudly, as both of the pilots continued to comment negatively and slowly got up and walked towards each other.

Then as they were a foot away from each other Shinji made his key comment.

"You don't hear Touji complain of Hikari's meals she prepares for him do you?"
At Shinji's comment, both Touji and Hikari blush beat red, trying to hide from everyone as much a possible.

"Well, at least she knows how to cook a great meal" Answered Asuka.
All of the girls look at Hikari, the boys at Touji! Both now trying to hide behind a nearby tree, then meeting each other face to face, both slip and fall. Several of their classmates then laugh.

"So, how would I know that you liked my meal?" Said Shinji as he crossed his arms.

"Well, I'd do what she'd want to do!" stated Asuka.
She looked around and winked at her best friend, then turned back at her love.

"And what would that be?" Asked Shinji dropping his arms and looking very lovingly at her, she returned the look. Rei sensed this as she kept her gaze at the two pilots.

"THIS"!

They both hugged each other and kiss passionately in front of all of the school.
After a minute they broke the kiss, smiling ear to ear at each other. Then, they started looking around still in each other arms. Each looked to their friends first.
Hikari was frozen with a hugely surprised look. Her lunch, which was in her hands, now laid the ground, near the tree she was standing next to.

Shinji spied his two friends and saw two jaws making holes on the ground where they were laying. Finally he spied Rei, who had a slightly quizzed look to her, but kept her cool mask on . The couple then looked back at each other satisfied with the effect they had wrought. And with a final kiss on the lips, they turned to leave for the Harmonics test.

What surprised them was that Rei had their belongings at the entrance to the school.
"Here are your belongings, we must hurry to NERV for the Harmonics tests."
Rei then left the new couple bewildered, until a slight smirk was seen.

"You know, Rei seems to have known we were planning something." Stated Shinji.

"That's the first time I've seem her react to anything." Said Asuka to Shinji.

"I do believe you're right, I'll see if I can get more from her after the testing today."

"all right, but be careful, we know she's still your fathers pet!" warned Asuka.

"I know, but she's shown me that she seems to want to listen to me, but, I'll be careful!
OK?, Asuka-chan?"

"OK, my Baka, just remember to be home to make my dinner tonight."

"And if I make a great dinner, what do I get?" (asked a now curious Shinji, as they were following Rei,)
"Well, let me answer that by asking Do you like strawberry, or grape lip gloss?" asked Asuka while licking her lips!
"Haa, Hmm, Hooo. Wellll, mmmmm, Grape!" he stuttered as they both then laughed with a confused Rei looking at them before continuing to NERV.

In the next, chapter #5 A Date with Destiny,
The Harmonics test, the 11th Angel, and an important conversation! Be ready for action and romance..