Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Sibling Bonds ❯ A Date with Destiny ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimers:
Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc., are
property of ADVision and Gainax. I only *wish* they were mine.
Please try to be good to me, this is my first stab at an Evangelion “Only" Fic.
This story is NOT final, there will be more revisions, so keep checking up on the chapters.

Sibling Bonds

Chapter #5: A Date with Destiny

When the test started everything was going as good as any previous Harmonics test other that if you take into account that this test was done in the nude much to the pilots discomfort as loudly stated by one angry Asuka Langley Sohryu.
"I can't believe this is necessary, especially since you've got those cameras trained on us now" stated a very irate Asuka.
The other pilots weren't far from her stated feelings. But as always Rei Ayanami kept her feelings well hidden in her emotionless mask. Shinji on the other hand was showing his displeasure at his and the others predicament with various grimaces as they sat in their birthday suits. though not as vocal as his girlfriend, he did protest a little as they finally got into the simulation plugs and were loaded into the simulation bodies. Then all hell broke loose. First all 3 pilots complained of feeling odd, not feeling as normal. Then an alarm sounded. A dilemma between the Magi computer developed, then the 87th protein wall broke down and that's what the microscopic angel needed. Then the simulation EVA went berserk. Rei yelled and screamed with pain. The Angel has invaded the simulation chamber. Ritsuko then triggered the simulation plugs to eject and the pilots found themselves floating in an adjacent lake.
As the angel was being fought by Ritsuko, and the other Techs. As they contained and eventually killed the Angel who was a group of Nannites, microscopic cells that acted as one.

As the Angel was defeated at the NERV Geofront headquarters, the three pilots were floating and Asuka angry with the fact that she was naked in her plug, when Rei yelled out.
"I am not breathing well, I believe my plug is sinking, the LCL seems to be leaking out of the plug!." Though still monotone her voice did convey her concern for her plight.

"Rei, can you get out by yourself or do you need help?" Asked a now anxious Shinji.

"I can't budge the escape hatch, I do need help!" Answered Rei, now with a nervous tone in her voice.

"Shinji were naked, do you know how embarrassing it would be if we're out on the lake like that, someone could see us?" Stated an irritated Asuka.

"Asuka, Rei could drown, if the LCL is leaking out & water is rushing in she will drown! I'm going to help her!"

"You don't do anything dangerous with out me Shinji-kun, hear me!" And Asuka blew her escape hatch, dove into the lake and headed for Rei's plug.
Shinji was doing the same on the opposite side of Rei's Plug. As they got to the plug the noticed that it indeed was sinking. Shinji was yanking at the Rei's hatch, which was hard being that without the plug suit, he had to grip with his hands and feet, in seconds Asuka was next to him helping him try to open the plug that trapped Rei. While neither forgot why they were there, both tried their hardest not to see important parts of each others bodies. When the hatch finally opened they looked up to each others faces with each being as red as Asuka's plug suit. Asuka jumped into the water and headed towards her simulation plug and crawled in as Shinji pulled Rei out of her plug just as it left the surface. They both headed for Shinji's simulation plug and as Rei crawled in, Shinji dove under the Lake's surface to check on his plug's float ability, but more to not see his friend's naked body.
Asuka noticed this and silently thanked her boyfriend for being so chivalrous. Shinji stayed in the water, outside his simulation plug.
As the rescue boats arrived about Ten minutes later, the pilots now covered by blankets were brought back to NERV's infirmary.
As they were examined by the doctors there Shinji was thinking of what he was going to ask Rei, Rei was thinking the same thing, and Asuka was happy that they all made it out alive.

Later after they got dressed they were called into a conference room By Misato and Ritsuko and told of the eleventh angel attack, the fact that it was Not to be discussed, actually they were told to forget it ever happened! After they agreed to this, Maya Ibuki then came in and asked to talk to the pilots privately. After the two older women left Maya spoke.
"I know what Kensuke did!" two of the three pilots reacted to this while Ayanami was her usually emotionless self." So, I want to meet with you three outside of NERV." Maya knew she was taking a risk, especially with Rei, but she needed to talk to them away from prying eyes and cameras in NERV. What surprised all of the was who suggested meeting on the hill overlooking the city. All looked at Rei, who had suggested. "Ikari-kun & I meet there regularly and it is a quiet and secluded place." stated Rei.
"How long have you been meeting Shinji there, Rei?" asked a concerned Asuka, who then looked at Shinji who stared back nervously.
"One week, since the tenth angel attack, we sit and reflect on the day's events".
"Is that all you do there wondergirl?" asked a now aggravated Asuka making a note to talk to her boyfriend of these meetings!
"Yes, we watch the sunset and witness the lights come on in Tokyo-03. It makes it easier to think through our problems." answered Rei calmly.
"Asuka-chan, I would have told you about this, but I wasn't close to you then" Shinji suddenly stated, as he was becoming aware of his girlfriends growing anger. He looked at her eye to eye, and took her hand, she then visibly calmed down and nodded yes to her love. "Ok, but I want to come from now on!" She stated this to him directly, he nodded yes.
Rei for her part did not outwardly react, but she was apprehensive about having the volatile second child there.
Maya calmed all of them by saying that they would all meet there at 6 p.m. "Ok, then I'll make a picnic dinner then since I promised Shinji I would make dinner tonight." The three other people there stared at the second child with their eyes three times their size (Well Rei's was only a little bigger). OK, then I'll get going to my post, see you three there." Maya left, though a big surprise will greet her at the Pritnow box when she gets there.
"I thought I was going to make dinner, Asuka-chan?"
Well, be it that you have the luck to be my boyfriend and that I am nice enough to cook for you. Just remember, this isn't going to be a regular occurrence, right My Baka?"
"Yes my love!" replied Shinji. Asuka then smiled.

Asuka Shinji, and Rei were left in the conference room, when Asuka asked a question.
"Well, Aren't you going to ask Rei those questions?" Shinji went into wimp mode again "Wwhaaat?"
"Aren't you going to ask me those questions now Ikari-kun?" asked a calm Rei
Shinji looked from one girl to another, then he finally answered;
Well, why don't I walk you home, Rei, and well ask our questions on the way, then we can head for the hill and meet Asuka and Dr. Ibuki there, Ok?". He nervously looked at Asuka, Who nodded yes, and then before Rei had a chance to answer, She grabbed Shinji and laid a long and passionate kiss on the third child. She left with a broad smile on her face and commented to Rei, "Remember who his girlfriend is Wondergirl!" as she left.
Rei turned back around toward's a starry eyed Shinji. She simply picked up her and Shinji's briefcase, then grabbed Shinji by the arm, led him out of the conference room ,and out of the Geofront.

As they walked Shinji had come down from cloud nine and Asuka's kiss. He finally thought of his first question.
Shinji asked, "Ayamani-san, I'd like to ask you some questions but first, I'd like you to look at some information I got on all three of us Ok? Shinji smiled at Rei, but he knew that he had to then show the information on The pilot's background, as well as to find the answer to his questions. He knew he had his own, plus what Kensuke had gotten as he searched for the girls information, so he pulled up his own data on his laptop as they walked.
As he scrolled down the information Rei's eyes stayed calm, but Shinji could tell she had understood why he said what he did. As they walked she read the report on the third child, she remembered previous research she did, and knew of how he had lacked self-confidence and his wanting of attention from his estranged father. She also reviewed the second child's information and showed him a slight look of sympathy, not pity was evident on both their faces. Rei thought (That is why he was drawn to the second, they have had similar experiences.)
Shinji then pulled up Rei's information. Shinji braced for the negative comment, or reaction he thought would come as he saw her starting to read his laptop's screen. He then showed the way Yui, Shinji, and then Rei 's pictures were very similar. Then with Kensuke's morphing effect, Rei saw the proof of what Shinji had suspected. After a minute with his eyes facing forward and no reaction from her, he slowly turned his head and saw a slight smile and an a warmth in her eyes. She cupped his face like Asuka did the day before, and looked at him as if she could see into his soul, this made him shutter.
She did not say a word at first, they had made it to the front door, shut it, and then she then sat next to Shinji who by now was standing next to her bed perplexed with Rei's actions. She then put her head on his shoulder leaning onto him, put an arm around his waist, gave him a tight hug. He then finally spoke; "Are you my sister?"
Rei, though not showing it outside, was scared at this first question. [" What can I say to him? I have to be as truthful as possible without revealing classified information."]
"I can only say that there is a connection between myself & you mother."
(This blew Shinji away, "Yes I was right, but at the same time, Rei glared a subtle as it is was there, so he changed his next question.)
"Do you have the same connection.... to my father?" He asked.
"No, I have no biological connection to the Commander, other than he is my legal guardian." she answered.
(What??!? She isn't related to father, What does that mean to me now? Well, I still have one more question.)
"Ok, One final question & then I'll answer your questions."
"Fine!" Answered Rei answering a bit more sharply than before, but still hugging him.
"Again, Are you my sister, or at least my half sister? What I mean is are you family to me?"
(Now Rei was worried, though not showing it to her fellow pilot.)
"You can consider me your half sister Ikari-kun."
Shinji was silent for well over a minute with the usually emotionless Rei becoming more worried ["Did he not believe me?"] thought Rei. He answered her with standing her up and wrapping his arms around her and sobbed quietly, while keeping her in a warm and tight hug. This went on for a few more minutes as the siblings hugged in an embrace of warmth and comfort.
After he had stopped crying, Shinji spoke. "I am so happy little sister!" said a smiling Shinji.
Rei had the same small cute smile she had after the fifth Angel. "I am happy as well to have a brother."

"Now can you answer some of my questions?" asked Rei. "OK." replied Shinji
They sat down and she began her questions.
"How can relatives show their affection Ikari-kun?" He answered her in a most direct way, he strengthened his spine and he hugged her lightly, then he dropped back down on the bed facing her.
"Ikari-kun how can....." "Rei-chan, you can call me Shinji now, since I am your brother!"
"All right, Shinji-kun. Now, what is the difference between the love you have with the second child, and with me?" Asking in her same monotone voice.
["Oh, she had to ask that question, shoot! Ok, I'll try my best"] "Well, relatives usually have a love that is involved in the caring and bringing up of that person, sort of like a mother for her child, or a brother who wants to protect his sister (He gave her a quick squeeze). But, when two people are drawn to each other mainly due to something they like in that person, they develop feelings of love and caring. Though it is more than just to protect them, it is also to be with them, physically and emotionally.
Do you understand, Rei-chan?" Shinji was still holding his new found sister, while sweating out the answers.

"So we should be sharing a love of caring and protection, while you and Pilot Sohryu share a more intimate relationship.
Is that why you would kiss me on the cheek, while you kiss ASuka on the mouth, Shinji-kun?"

Elated, Shinji answered, "Yes, exactly Rei-chan. Any more questions?" asked Shinji Feeling better now.

"For now that is all, but can I ask you about other questions regarding emotions and relationships?" asked Rei

"Of course, What are brothers for? I will always be there for you Rei, remember that!" He then hugged his sister, who hugged him back.

"Ok, let's make our way to the hill and we'll pick up a vegetarian dinner just in case Asuka forgets that you don't eat meat.

Rei agreed and they made their way towards The hill overlooking the city.

Maya Ibuki had made to short walk from the conference room to her post at the command center, when she turned the corner and saw the rosy monstrosity sitting next to her chair, with all the command staff looking at her waiting for her reaction.
She slowly walked to the stand holding over two dozen roses shaped to her name in kanji. She then spotted the card that accompanied the flowers. As she glanced again at her co-workers and friends who were all holding back giggles as she opened the card.
Music started coming from the card "Ride of the Valkyries" by Wagner playing as she nervously held the card to read.

To my inspiration, I have seen something in you that I haven't found anywhere or with anyone else. If I can only be your student at you feet so be it, because I want to learn all I can from you. Will you be my Sensei and help me to be all I can be and I will be satisfied with that. If you can find it in your heart that it could be more, then that would be fine too. I hope to see you soon;

your devoted slave,

Kensuke Aida

She looked up as she finished the reading card and found three smirks and then gobs of laughter. With a blush as red as Unit-02, She headed for the nearest exit, and yelled out; "I'm taking the rest of the day off, and if anyone asks me of this again, I'll rip you a new one!" She headed for the home of a 14 year old geek who had only the time remaining for her to get there to live. At least that's what she thought!

Kensuke was waiting by the phone waiting for the focus of his love to call!
"[Wonder if two dozen roses was enough, oh well I'm sure I'll find out soon enough!"]

Next Chapter: Love Lost, Love found!
Chapter #6 gets grim and grimy, will the the bonds of love be enough to save the third child, and those he loves?
And just who is the stranger following the pilots? And what is his interest in Rei?