Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ The Switch ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Evangelion: The Switch
 
by Persona Ohnlyne
 
Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Evangelion, GAINAX does. I'm just borrowing them, I'll give them back when I'm done.
 
This story takes place a little past the middle of the main story of Evangelion, after the part when the three kids have to make all those compatibility tests, seeing if one pilot can use another Eva (Remember when Rei got on Eva 01 and Shinji in Eva 00). After the attack of 12th angel, but before the 13th angel takes over the Evangelion unit 03.
 
One more thing. Please keep in mind that, being from South America, english is my second language.
 
And now, on with the story.
 
The Switch, Chapter 03
 
0000000000000
 
While Ritsuko and Misato were talking about Shinji and Asuka, the two teens in question were on their way to school.
 
"You want me to carry your bag" asked Asuka, as Shinji held his schoolbag in front of her.
 
"Yes." replied Shinji.
 
"But why? I didn't do anything." Complained Asuka. The old Asuka would have just punched Shinji, but since she now held Shinji's soul in her body, she reacted like that.
 
"Why you ask? Well, I think it is a just payback from all the times YOU made ME carry YOUR bag to school." Replied Shinji, as he shoved his schoolbag into Asuka's hands.
 
Asuka looked down as she held both her and Shinji's schoolbags, one in each hand. "Yes, you're right Shinji. . . it is the least I can do. I am sorry."
 
Asuka started to walk, when Shinji suddenly grabbed the back of her shirt and pulled her back.
 
"Whoa"
 
This caused Asuka to fall back on her butt, dropping both schoolbags in the process. "Ouch? Why did you do that" asked Asuka as she stood up.
 
"You were walking in front of me" replied Shinji"Since I am WAY more superior than you in every way possible, then you should walk behind me." He added.
 
"Good morning."
 
Both Shinji and Asuka turned back when they heard that familiar voice.
 
Rei Ayanami, the other Eva pilot, was standing there, in her usual school uniform, and with her usual neutral face.
 
The blue haired girl had been informed by her superiors at NERV what had happened with both Shinji and Asuka the day before. How the two Eva pilots had switched souls, which made them, in a way, act like the other but still be the same person.
 
Rei didn't understand it well herself, however, she had been ordered to keep an eye on both of her fellow pilots at school today, and she always followed orders.
 
Seeing Rei caused different reactions on Shinji and Asuka, which was a result of having their own minds and memories, but with the other pilot's soul.
 
Asuka had always disliked Rei, however, all the things that her mind always though about Rei which made Asuka dislike her, were now confronting Shinji's soul about it. Now those things were not flaws, they were good things, things that made Rei a good Eva pilot and a very important member of NERV. Rei always followed the rules, always followed orders regardless of putting her life at risk. The old Asuka would have seen in Rei a competitor to being he best Eva pilot, but since that wasn't an issue anymore, Asuka found that she rather liked Rei. She sort of looked up to her in a way.
 
All this together caused Asuka to react in the following way:
 
"Good morning Ayanami-san." Said Asuka in a respectful way.
 
Shinji in the other hand was having a mixture of emotions. Shinji had always felt a rather fondness towards Rei. In fact, Shinji felt a certain attraction to Rei, but Rei's cold demeanor made him feel like the blue haired girl was a mile away every time.
 
However, Shinji had now Asuka's soul. He still had the same thoughts about Rei, but her mind and his soul were giving mixed messages. Asuka had always acted very aggressive towards Rei when she followed orders and all that, but still saw her as a fellow pilot, as the only female pilot besides her. But Asuka's soul was in Shinji's body, and Shinji was not a girl, which made that last thing pretty useless.
 
Both points of view exchanged ideas for a while, until finally, they compromised.
 
Shinji still had feelings for Rei, but he completely denied them, and decided to act very cold towards him. He was sure that, if he started acting that way, ignoring her, she would eventually show an interest to him.
 
Of course that Shinji wasn't really aware of all that was happening to him on the inside. All he know was that he should act like he really didn't care about Rei's presence.
 
And so, he replied like this:
 
"Good morning." Said Shinji flatly, not even turning to look at Rei.
 
Shinji walked past Rei, and towards the school.
 
"Come on, we're going to be late." He called back to the two girls.
 
"Yes, I'm sorry, I'll hurry up." Said Asuka as she picked up her schoolbag and Shinji's and started walking behind him.
 
Ayanami just watched the exchange of words, noticing that neither Asuka nor Shinji were their usual self this morning.
 
The blue haired girl started walking behind the two soon afterwards.
 
Meanwhile, back at NERV:
 
"What do you mean by that" asked Misato after hearing what Ritsuko said.
 
"Just what you heard. Even after we manage to switch Shinji's and Asuka's souls back to their respective owners, they would still have side effects." She explained.
 
Ritsuke knew that Misato was going to ask just WHAT side effects she was talking about, so she decided to go ahead and explain herself. "Like I said before. People are already born with a formed soul, which changes day by day, what makes it change are the souls of the other people we meet every day, our experiences with others. Shinji has now Asuka's soul, and Asuka has Shinji's. However, they still have their own minds. The mind is how a person thinks and reacts, the mind is formed trough years of life, with day to day experiences, its what tells us who we are, and who other people are. Acting together, our mind and soul makes us who we are, while our mind tells us what to do every day, our soul is what influences our mind into taking this or that decision or talking like this or like that to someone. However, since Shinji and Asuka only switched souls, this means that the soul of the other will also change every day, and their mind will change too."
 
"You mean that, if we don't switch them back soon, they will just go back to normal by themselves" asked Misato.
 
"On the contrary." Said Ritsuko"if we don't find a way to change them back soon. They will both be too influenced by the other, and will still not be completely like themselves. There are too many ways for it to end, the possibilities are too many, and it would be impossible to just guess what would happen."
 
Misato was worried. She hoped that they would find a way to switch Shinji and Asuka back to normal soon.
 
0000000000000000000
 
End of chapter 3.
 
To be continued…
 
Author's notes: I know it's a bit short, but the only way to continue this now would be their school day, and I'm still trying to get ideas on that.
 
In the next chapter, the pilots have to face their school day. How will their schoolmates react to their different selfs?
 
As always, please review.
 
Persona Ohnlyne