Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Together Forever ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Together Forever

Disclaimer: I do not own Evangelion. It belongs to Gainax, and they did a poor job of ending the story: / I really want them to create a better ending...anyway, I've written this story, `cos I've got absolutely nothing better to do. I'll be using sections from both the manga and the series, so if you have any problem, please refer to them. I'm also using several songs in my fic, and I also do not own them. Now I'll get on with the story: )

Chapter 3

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

For: This story is dedicated to my friends, Rainbow, Erf, Sividas, Sweety-Tweety, LadyDragoness, ^AussiLady and many other friends who have helped me in this story in any ways possible, from supporting me during the exams and write-up, to helping me get ideas for the story. Thanks Guys!

- - - - -

<One more week...So, what can I do for him?> Rei sighed to her brother. This was the first time in one week Rei `spoken' to her brother.

<Organize a party for him? I'm sure he'll appreciate it,> Kaoru suggested. He was also trying to think of something which might make his best friend feel better.

<Maybe...I know! I'll go ask the commanders!> Rei suddenly though, and ran off. <I'll call you later, Kaoru. See you.>

<Good luck sis!> Kaoru called, before `disappearing'.

Running toward NERV, Rei was thinking about the day she and Shinji went to the hospital. `What were we doing, bringing our faces so close together? Why did I feel the impulse to do that? Was Shinji feeling the same was as I was? So many questions, all left unanswered...' Subconsciously, she had used a little of her powers, and to all that saw her, only say a streak of blue and white.

Soon, she reached NERV. Still thinking about her feelings and Shinji, she did not notice where she was going. That was, until she walked smack straight into the second commander.

"Eep!" she squeaked, as she fell backwards, like she did at the hospital.

Fuyutski grabbed her arm instinctually, preventing her from landing on the ground on her butt. "Rei, are you alright?" he asked concernedly. He was pretty surprised. Rei hardly ever let out any noise, even when she was injured, and here she was, yelping. It was also literally impossible to find her not concentrating on what was going around her.

Only after she composed herself did she answer. "Yes, sir."

"Good. If you'd step into my office, I have something to discuss with you..."

- - - - -

Some time later, in some unknown part of heaven, Kaoru was playing poker with his older angels brothers and sisters.

"No!!!! Five times! FIVE TIMES! In a row!" Kaoru couldn't help not yelling. "I've been playing with the liliums for years, and you beat me five times in a row," he grumbled to Zeruel.

He grinned (A/N: Don ask me how the other angels play poker and smile. It's a fan fic ^_^) and simply answered his younger brother. "Who told you to read those lilium's minds? That's cheating, so of course you could win," Zeruel said, dealing the next hand of cards.

Then, Arael broke their game. "Hey Kaoru! Rei's asking for ya!"

"Sigh...I'm going to lose anyway. Send me her signal!" (A/N: Arael can use mind attacks, so I took advantage of it and made him/her the satellite between Rei and Kaoru's mental conversations.)

<Yes Rei?> he spoke, watching his cards carefully.

<I need you to help me,> Rei spoke in her regular monotone voice.

<Sure...just tell me and I'll help ya...Not again!!> Kaoru whined.

<What?>

<Nothing...just lost another round of poker,> he answered unhappily.

<Poker? What's that? A game in which you poke your friends?>

<No. It's a European card game,> Kaoru pouted. <Anyway, what do you want me to do?>

<I-I want you to reveal yourself to Shinji,> Rei requested calmly.

There was an unbroken silence after that statement.

<Er...Rei? Can you repeat yourself? I'm not sure I heard you right,> Kaoru broke it after five minutes.

<You have not heard me wrong, older brother. I have indeed asked you to show yourself to Shinji,> Rei told him. The other angels turn to look at the mirror showing the mortal realm. The screen is focused on Rei. (A/N: it is like the beast's mirror in Disney's Beauty and the Beast)

<Oh no I won't!> Kaoru declared.

Mirror: Shows Rei starting to pout. Not easily noticeable, but all the angels could see it.

<Please? Do it as a favor to you little sister?> Rei asked. She sounded almost pleading.

<No! I can't face him! Not after I stupidly said I like him and the stuff I've told him and...and...> Kaoru had turned to his older siblings, and was withering under their glares. It was only when he turned to look at the mirror, did he find out why. She was in her dark office, pouting and looking downcast in her chair, and tears could be seen shimmering in her eyes. Her office did not surprise Kaoru, and neither did her forlorn look. What shocked him was her tears. In the fourteen years in her life, she could cry out in pain, but she would never let tears be seen.

Then, he looked at his siblings again. If looks could kill and if Kaoru could be killed, he would be nothing more than dust scattered all over the place. <Alright, alright...but I can't stay for long. The maker gives time limits for visits to the mortal world, you know...>

<Not this time, Tabris. I still wonder how you can resist her charm,> a deep voice boomed.

<Sir? I can?> Kaoru asked, not really believing his luck.

<Yes my boy, just make sure that Shinji and Rei are kept safe,> the maker ordered.

<Why?> Kaoru asked.

<Their safety is essential to our plan.>

<What plan?> Kaoru tried to dig more information from his `elder'.

<My plan! Now go before I change my mind or go insane from your unlimited amount of questions!>

<Yes sir! See you guys soon!> Kaoru called before disappearing.

<That boy... I can never figure out what to do with him,> the maker sighed, while the other angels nodded in agreement.

- - - - -

Back in the mortal world, Kaoru appeared in front of Rei, and she had put up her usual insensate front.

"Thank you for coming, Kaoru," she stated simply, and began walking towards the direction of the shopping mall.

"I had to, or I'm going to wish I were dead." Kaoru told her. "Anyway, just now, you looked ready to cry when I refused you. Shinji sure means a lot to you, doesn't he?"

"Yes he does... I feel better around him. Without his presence, I... I feel... lonesome," Rei confessed. "Is lonesome the correct expression?"

"Don't ask me. I've been around liliums but never really understood them," Kaoru shrugged. "Where are you going anyway? Shinji-kun's apartment is that way," Kaoru told his sister, pointing towards Misato's estate.

"That will come later. Now, I wish to get him something for his anniversary party."

"So what do you want to get him?" Kaoru inquired.

"Please stop asking so many questions. I'm fed up with your babbling." Rei said, not really answering his question, though a hint of annoyance could be detected.

"To bad. It's always been a habit. Where am I going to stay anyway?"

Rei pondered about that question for a moment. "You will have to come with me to NERV later. I'm sure that the commander would provide you a form of accommodation."

Kaoru paled much whiter than usual. "NERV?! No offence, but are you nuts?! They'll all recognize me as an angel!"

"Do not worry about that. I will ensure your safety."

"If you say so..." Kaoru said quietly, hoping that his sister told the truth.

- - - - -

Shinji was walking around aimlessly with his SDAT music blaring into his ears. In a bid to take his mind off Kaoru, he decided to think about Rei. "What is Rei? Why did she seem so familiar?' he pondered.

Before long, he found himself wandering around the shopping mall. Tokyo-3 had little places of interest and entertainment, and the shopping mall was big and air-conditioned. As he thought about the albino girl, memories floated back to him.

~ * Flash *~

Him cradling the injured Rei in his arms, making the decision to pilot unit 01.

~* Flash *~

Falling on Rei in her apartment.

~* Flash *~

Being slapped be her in NERV.

~* Flash *~

Worrying for Rei in her first reactivation test.

~* Flash *~

His first real chat with Rei, before fighting the fifth angel.

~* Flash *~

Her protecting him against he fifth angel's beam.

~* Flash *~

Seeing Rei smile after saving her from her damaged Eva.

~* Flash *~(A/N : Some of the following scenes can only be found in the anime)

Rei giving him a second glance after being reprimanded by his father after the failure against Israfeal.

~* Flash *~

Practicing with Rei against Israfeal.

~* Flash *~

Being invited to Rei's apartment for the first time.

~* Flash *~

Working with Rei and Asuka against Matariel and Sahaqiel.

~* Flash *~

Rei being concerned about Shinji after he saw Lilith and his synch ratios fell.

~* Flash *~

Rei detonating an N2 bomb in an attempt to stop Zeruel.

~* Flash *~

Going berserk because of the hatred he felt against it, when it forced Rei to take such drastic measures.

~* Flash *~

Sacrificing herself to destroy Armisael, so save Shinji.

~* Back To Reality *~

As he came back to reality, he found himself in front of a vegetarian restaurant, with a surprised Rei, who was with... Kaoru?!

"Wh...what is going on...Rei? Kaoru? What is...what the..." he stammered. Before he blanked out, causing him to fall.

Rei quickly caught him, while Kaoru disappeared with a "Oh crap, later sis."

When Shinji recovered slightly, he looked up to find that Kaoru was only a fidget of his imagination. Or so he believed.

"Shinji-kun? Are you alright?" Rei asked concernedly, although her face betrayed no form of emotion. She hugged him close, supporting his weight and allowing him to cry on her shoulder. How she figured that this would help comfort Shinji, she never knew. She pertained it to her instincts.

"Rei-chan, did I see Kaoru? Or am I losing my mind?" Shinji sobbed, not realizing that he had call her that.

Rei sighed before answering. "I'll take you to my apartment. I'll explain everything there, shin-chan," she said absently.

After Shinji had felt better enough to walk on his own, they left for her apartment. Unknown to them, Asuka had seen and heard everything. Well, almost.

"Rei-chan, Shin-chan...what a cute couple. Wondergirl and the baka," Asuka said to herself, making it sound like `Beauty and the Beast'. "Well, looks like they've got some problems. I had better do something, before baka Shinji end up like me. Misato-san is worried and tired enough, and I don't want her to have another psycho to take care of."

Asuka grinned at the title she had just given herself. "I know that they really do LIKE each other, just that they were to shy to admit to each other. Still, calling each other Chan sub-consciously show how close they are," she mumbled, walking back towards the Katsuragi apartment.

Kaoru, in turn was observing the red head, trying to satisfy his understandings of humans. "Interesting... I wonder if she enjoys being called a psycho... she's also very intent on helping the two of them, even she used to have a strong dislike for either. Liliums sure are strange."

- - - - -

~* End Of Chapter Three *~

Another chapter. I've written the draft for the first three quarters of this fic, and I'm stuck at some crucial sections. I'm sure my friends will help me out anyway... : / looking back, I realized that I've labeled the chapters wrongly, and have changed them as according. For those who love Evangelion, please visit my Yahoo! Group. I'm sure that you'll like it there. The website is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evangelion_rocks/ , by the way. Thanks for reading! Please review too!