Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Together Forever ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Together Forever

Disclaimer: I do not own Evangelion. It belongs to Gainax, and they did a poor job of ending the story: / I really want them to create a better ending...anyway, I've written this story, `cos I've got absolutely nothing better to do. I'll be using sections from both the manga and the series, so if you have any problem, please refer to them. I'm also using several songs in my fic, and I also do not own them. Now I'll get on with the story: )

Chapter 4

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

For: This story is dedicated to my friends, Rainbow, Erf, Sividas, Sweety-Tweety, LadyDragoness, ^AussiLady and many other friends who have helped me in this story in any ways possible, from supporting me during the exams and write-up, to helping me get ideas for the story. Thanks Guys!

- - - - -

"I killed him, Rei... I- I killed... killed the one I ever consider a friend," Shinji revealed all that had been troubling him.

"So...you think you took a life?" Rei asked hesitantly.

"No. I DID kill someone. It was not think," Shinji confirmed his statement.

"Then you should think it over again, Shinji-kun," a familiar voice said from behind Shinji.

Shinji's eyes widened. "Rei...is Kaoru behind me?" he whispered to Rei.

Rei just stared at him and did not answer. She wanted him to look for himself.

Shinji sighed and turned around. Nothing was going to be there anyway. He knew he was losing his marbles. His eyes widened. Behind him stood Kaoru, grinning away.

"Long time no see, Shinji-kun," Kaoru greeted.

"Bonk!" you know what happened.

"Moronic Kaoru," Rei said, just as Kaoru said, "Wimpy Shinji."

She then took the task of reviving the teenager. As she did, an image came back to her clearly.

It was an image of her sitting in her Eva, rendered helpless due to the attack by Armisael. She could not do anything but sit in her unit as the angel became drawn to unit 01's AT field. However as it sped towards the purple giant, she felt a pang of hurt in her heart. That was her first feeling of loneliness. "D- does my soul want to b- become one with Ikari?" she recalled whispering to herself.

Then, she blacked out. As she felt herself falling into unconsciousness, she seemed to feel that the second Rei had felt. The pain and hurt, not from the angel, but the understanding of loneliness.

In the darkness, she dreamt of what her second original had done. "No!" she silently whispered, and quickly grabbed onto the angel.

"AT field has been reversed. It will be corroded immediately!" she heard Maya call, as though she was inhabiting the very body that had done this act of love.

"Rei! Abandon unit 00! Evacuate!" she heard Misato order.

Reaching over to the back, she refused the order, instead activating the Eva self-destruct sequence. "No. I can't do it. I must stay to keep the AT field in effect, therefor, I won't retreat," she felt herself saying.

"Rei... Are you trying to kill yourself?" Misato asked in shock disbelief.

"The core will be destroyed! Critical pressure exceeded!" Maya warned.

Then, the last thing she saw in her mind, was Shinji Ikari, before she felt a wave of light consume her, as her Eva exploded...

"Sis! Sis, wake up! Are you okay?" Kaoru asked nervously, as he shook her, bringing her back from the scene.

"I-I felt...saw..." she stuttered, as she regained consciousness.

"It's alright. You can tell us later. But now, take care of Shinji first," Kaoru told her gently.

She got up shakily, went over to Shinji. Holding his shoulders, she whispered," Shinji-kun, wake up."

When he did not stir, Rei patted his cheeks lightly. "Shinji-kun," she called softly.

Kaoru surveyed the scene before him. Rei was acting like a wife would to her husband. Kaoru never knew she was so gentle and caring. Something that happened just know must have awakened some of her older body's memories.

"Oh...Rei, you gotta send me to the mental ward. I'm seeing a dead person," were Shinji's first words. Rei shook her head at his stupidity and giggled. It was soft and comforting, angelic like could come only from her.

"Shinji-kun, you are not losing your mind," Rei comforted, grasping his hand gently with hers.

"Th-then why is Kaoru here?" Shinji stumbled over his words.

"Because I'm not dead, Shinji-kun."

"......" Shinji stared with his mouth wide open.

"Baka. We angels do not die. We merely change into `free-form' state," Kaoru explained.

Shinji opened his mouth to say something, but all that came out was "..."

-.-'' <= that was Kaoru's reaction. "never mind... just accept the fact that angels do not die," Kaoru said.

"O-okay...if so... Rei, are you an angel?" Shinji finally got his mouth to obey his brain.

Rei was taken aback by Shinji's question. "Yes..." Rei answered slowly, looking at her feet. She did not want Shinji to be mad at her. She did not wish to be rejected by him. However...

"That's good, Rei. I'm glad for you," Shinji said happily, rocking back and forth on his feet.

"But... why?" Rei asked, looking mildly confused.

"Since all angels have AT fields, I'm sure you'll be very safe," he said, coming over to embrace her.

Kaoru and Rei were shocked stiff. This wasn't the Shinji they knew. If it were the older Shinji, they would bet that he'd go screaming and raving from the two of them. Still, they were glad that Shinji's love was undaunted by the fact that she was an angel.

Rei, pretty much unsure of what to do, slowly and hesitantly raised her hands, and hugged Shinji back warmly.

"Oh damn. I'll leave the two of you lovebirds alone. Call me and I'll return later," Kaoru was prepared to go, but Shinji called him back.

"Wait a minute, Kaoru. I've got something to return you," Shinji called. Then he reluctantly pulled away from Rei, who was equally reluctant to let him go. Walking over to his very good and long lost friend, he stopped. Then, pulling back his fists, he placed all energy he had into his momentum.

"Ow! What the fuck was that for?!" Kaoru roared at his friend, rubbing his sore cheek where Shinji's knuckles had connected.

"That was for the emotional trauma you had given me the past one and a half months," Shinji declared with a grin.

"You're nuts... hey, how did you get past my AT field?"

"You activated your AT field?" Shinji asked bewilderedly.

"Yeah! I expected you to do something like that, but it hurt so much I forgot it was on!" Kaoru said. Then rubbing his chin, he muttered... "Strange... why did it feel like my AT was being eroded? Never mind."

"I believe it is time we had left for NERV, Kaoru," Rei said suddenly, standing up. "" we have to deal with your housing problem."

"Can I come along?" Shinji asked expectantly. He really wanted to live with somebody other than a sadistic human volcano and a drunkard.

"N-no!" Rei quickly spluttered. She did not want Shinji to follow. The decorations and other stuff were not finished!

"Please? Pretty please?" Shinji begged, giving her a puppy dog face.

Rei opened her mouth to refuse, but like Shinji just now, she answered, "I-if that is your wish..."

Then she frowned, but she realized that Shinji seemed to have a little charm which she could not resist. Motioning him closer, she whispered her conditions in which Shinji can follow.

Shinji scooted closer, and after hearing the gir- `No. she is no longer a girl. She is growing to become a lady." - lady's request, he looked like this => O_o

"Rei! To follow you while in NERV is acceptable, but to carry a gun with me at all times?!" Shinji said in shock.

Rei nodded. "It is for your own safety, Shinji. The reason, is classified though." `As if he wants to know that someone is out to harm him.'

"B-but I don't have a gun," Shinji stammered.

"It has been taken care of," Rei replied, then added mentally. `Courtesy of your father." Going over to her dresser, she drew out a gun and a card, and passed it over to Shinji.

Shinji observed the gun carefully. It was a revolver, but not one he had seen before. It seemed to be a custom made. It felt light in his hand and fitted his palm perfectly. How the gun seemed to be made just for him, he did not find out. He looked up when Rei shook the card in front of him.

"Shinji, since you are underage and have no authority to handle it, this card will ensure that you will not be arrested if discovered, as long as you do not use the gun for selfish purposes. So, always carry this two items with you wherever you go," she warned her `very good friend'.

"Hai. Thank you Rei," Shinji thanked the usually soft-spoken girl, and noted the signature on the card. "Rei? You have the power to do this?"

"Y-yes. I'm the unofficial third commander at NERV," Rei admitted nervously.

"No wonder you hang around with my father and the second commander so often," Shinji reacted, awestruck.

"Hello? Am I invisible?" Kaoru broke their conversation.

"No, you're not, Kaoru. We just act like you are." Rei told him. "Now, let us go to NERV. Shinji, what I told you just now is classified. Is that clear?" Rei ordered.

"Hai, Rei-chan!" he said absently. He was busy looking for a place to put his new possession, the gun.

"Shinji, check that it has been put to safe, and tuck it into your pants. Then, cover it with you shirt. I will give you a holster later in my office."

After he did that, they went to NERV.

- - - - -

`Rei, you are growing up to be the lady I expected you to be,' Gendo thought happily.

"Is it safe to let Shinji and his friend know about Rei's status in NERV?" Fuyutski asked.

The two commanders of NERV had been monitoring the first child's apartment, but they could not catch some of the conversation. Somehow, they also could not see the two teenagers' friend.

"Rei is one of the best decision makers in NERV. I will respect her choice to allow them to know, as long as they do not interfere with NERV." Gendo told his old friend. Then, he thought about the friend's name. `Kaoru...why does it seem so familiar?' "How is the preparation for the..."

"Right on time. I just hope that Rei has enough sense to prevent Shinji from seeing the decorations," Fuyutski commented.

"She is. Look at screen 352."

` Of course, Kouzou. I'm always a step ahead of everyone. Especially those SEELE jerks,'

Gendo thought, rolling his eyes. "Rei will be here in 5...4...3...2...1..."

"Commanders," Rei saluted, entering the room. So did Shinji, but the two commanders did not notice the third person enter the room stealthily.

`Gendo you damned perfectionist,' Fuyutski laughed inwardly.

"Yes, Rei. What can I do for you?"

"Can you arrange some form of housing for me, Shinji and my brother?" Rei inquired.

"Brother? But you never had a brother. You were created by yourself," Fuyutski informed her.

"For your information, commanders, I am her brother. She is one of us, now," the person hidden in the shadow spoke up.

"Who are you?" Gendo demanded.

"Has it been so long that you have forgotten me, kidnapper of Adam and Lilith?" Kaoru stated simply, stepping into the light.

"Tabris," the two older men in the room growled.

"Heck to that name. Why does everyone call me that?" Kaoru asked, turning to his sister.

"..." she stared at him.

"Anyway, yes. I am Tabris. Sent to ignite the third impact. The very one, sent to destroy humanity. The one and only Tabris, willing to let you liliums live. I am Tabris. Designated angel seventeen."

"What are you doing here?" Fuyutski asked, giving Kaoru a gold glare.

"Please do not bear any hatred against my angel brother..." Rei began. Then, a term of address used only by the first Rei came to her. "...Shikisha," she said quietly.

Gendo was surprised. `Rei, what made you remember that? I've missed you call me that since Naoko Akagi killed your first...' Rei, instead of calling him father, used to call him `shikisha' to show him the respect between a father and daughter.

"Rei, I have nothing against Kaoru, but why is he here?" Gendo asked softly.

Shinji was freaked out. He never knew that his father could speak like that. He must REALLY like Rei to act like that.

"I was sent to protect Rei and Shinji-kun, sir," Kaoru answered who he now consider his superior.

"So... You know about..." Fuyutski began, but was interrupted by Kaoru.

"Sorry sir, but I do not think that Shinji-kun here has the authority to listen to this classified information,"

"Ikari, please wait outside while we discuss about this classified information," Gendo ordered his son.

Shinji looked at Rei, to get her opinion as to what to do. Rei shook her head gently, before smiling at him slightly. This encouraged him to stay.

"I'm sorry, father, but since this involves me directly, I believe that I have the right to find out about it," Shinji told his father is such a steely voice that it could cut a hurricane in half.

`Looks like being around Rei has toughened you up, Shinji. I'm proud of you. I'm sure you'll grow up to be a fine young man,' Gendo thought. However, he reprimanded his son anyway. "Pilot Ikari, are you trying to disobey direct orders from your commanding officer?"

"Sh-shikisha? May I make a request?" Rei cut in a little timidly. She wasn't sure how her guardian/foster father would take her decision.

"What is it, Rei?" Gendo immediately softened his voice.

"I-I would like to appoint Shinji-kun as my second."

Gendo froze, while Fuyutski frowned.

"Rei, are you sure about that?" Fuyutski asked. `What does she see in Shinji? I know he's kind, but I think he's too wimpy for the job.'

"Yes. I am confident that he will carry out his duties. After all, he is a very helpful individual," Rei pointed out. "He is also determined to finish a job he starts, like he proved himself while fighting against Shamshel. This is enough to make him a perfect candidate as my personal assistant."

Shinji couldn't help but smile at Rei. This was the first time he ever heard a positive comment from anyone, and he never expected it, least of all from Rei. Rei smiled back at him in a special way which she had never showed before, even to the commander.

Gendo was majorly shocked. He never expected that Rei would choose a second, since she liked doing things herself, and neither did he expect her to support his son. Most of all, he had never ever seen Rei express herself like this to anyone, even to himself. `What in the name of the holy god above is happening?!'

On the other hand, he was pleased. `Looks like Rei won't have to stress herself so much trying to settle her work. And it seems like Shinji's found his girlfriend at last. I'm sure that they'll be very happy together.'

"Rei, do you promise and guarantee that Shinji will be able to handle the job well?" he asked.

"Yes. No doubt about it. And besides, you knew that I'm one of the best decision makers around," she teased her `shikisha' happily.

"Good. Congratulations, fourth commander Ikari. Make sure that you will assist third commander Ayanami at all times, and do your job well. Otherwise, I will erase you from the face of the earth," he threatened.

"Yes sir! I will do my job well, sir," Shinji said with renewed confidence from the support of both Rei and his father.

Rei smile once again, before turning her attention to Kaoru, who had once again began speaking.

"Now, SEELE thinks that they have eliminated all the angels. Thus, they will..." Kaoru began to explain their situation.

- - - - -

~* End Of Chapter Four *~

Settled another chapter. YAY : ) So did you like it? I hope that you who is reading this story is enjoying it as much as I love writing the story. I never knew that I could write. Anyway, as usual, read and review. Hope that you'll join my Yahoo! Group. It's just been created and it's very short on members. I'll make sure that I'll make it the best, if people will tell me how to. Thank you for reading my fic. Sayonara till the next chapter!