Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Unbreakable Bond ❯ One Weird Day Part 2 ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Unbreakable Bond
Chapter IV One Weird Day Part II
 
Oh I'm so fucking evil aren't I? Anyways I hope that you guys enjoyed the full chapter III. And also I know that a lot of you guys couldn't give me proper reviews because you guys had already post reviews. I did suggest not, to do so until after I posted the official chapter III. Oh well at least you guys can post your comments on chapter III along with your reviews for chapter IV.
 
Anyways, on with the chapter and HOLY COW THIS STORY IS GETTING POPULAR!
 
“Rei…”
 
“Not what I had in mind but it is acceptable.”
 
“Ikari, what have you done? How will you explain it?”
 
“It is a simple matter. There is no need for concern.”
 
Kouzo felt numb as he slowly approached the fallen bodies of Shinji and Rei. He stopped before them with a solemn expression on his face. He had just witnessed Gendo killed his own son, and all he did was just stand there. He did nothing to save the boy from his face. He felt sick to his stomach. What kind of man was he to just stand there and watch a man murder his own son? He knew that if, no not if. He knew that when Yui learned of his actions she would be furious. In her days before the accident, he knew she loved him with all her heart. But now he was gone. He was the world to her.
 
He kneeled down as he looked at the two. Rei was flat on her back; her face was one of shock, possibly confusion and sadness. Her eyes that once glowed with true life moments ago were now an extinguished pit of darkness. He reached up to her eyes and gently closed them. He sighed as he looked upon her bloodstained face, as he thought how he had just witnessed Gendo kill what was essentially a very small part of Yui. That caused his eyes to trail down to her chest, where a bullet hole had formed upon impact. It had pierced through her heart and had torn right through her. She had died moments after the impact, thus most likely suffered little or no pain, he hoped. He then looked over to Shinji's fallen form where he laid on his side, on hand clutching his chest while the other reached out to Rei. He slowly reached over and place two fingers upon his neck. What he felt brought forth a wave of sadness.
 
He looked back at the Commander to see him working at a station. It sickened him greatly that he had no regards whatsoever for his son. Granted he himself was deep into this and was intent with the completion of the Human Instrumentality Project. He always knew that there would be a high price, but just how high he couldn't possibly imagine until now. How Gendo could easily throw away his own son just for the scenario was beyond him. But he vowed he would somehow avenge Shinji's death, and possibly bring Yui back, and with a little luck, especially with this secret technology, bring Shinji back.
 
He slowly rose as he solemnly said, “Ikari, they're dead.”
 
“It does not matter. The Dummy Plug will do for Unit 01. And you also aware about Rei's condition.”
 
“Ikari,” Fuyutsuki growled, “you know they were linked. How could you do this to them?”
 
“It was a necessary step,” he said as he continued to work. “The scenario would've been behind schedule. The bond was a variable in the equation, and variables are meant to be removed. It is as simple as that.” He keyed in a few more commands as the tube in the center of the circular Chamber of Gauf began to fill with LCL. Moments later a body floated in as he resumed work on the computer.
 
The tube brightly glowed as he began to implant memories and experiences into the mind of the new Rei. As he went through the process, he meticulously picked out the memories that would serve him. He worked furiously as he ensured that every little memory were only the ones were relevant to her goal. He worked to make sure she was perfect. He wanted no deviances, no variables, no nothing that could negatively affect the scenario, nor the scheduling. This Rei would be loyal to him and to him only. Absolute submission was what he needed and that was what he would get. Soon enough he had finished uploading all the relevant data and was ready to activate the third Rei. With a triumphant smirk he activated the systems that would restore Rei's soul into living tissue.
 
However such triumph was short lived for as Rei took in her first breath, “REI-SAN!” Gendo whipped around to see Shinji had somehow come back to life. He immediately took action and shot him squarely between the eyes. The boy immediately collapsed permanently eliminating a hindrance to his plans. However before his mind could even register a thought to smirk in triumph, it was crushed by a flat lining tone. Gendo looked at the station then to the tube to see that the third was dead. His mind began to work as he tried to figure out what went wrong. This was not supposed to happen. Rei should not have died. After running scenario after scenario in his head he decided he would look into the matter another time after the forth was activated.
 
The procedure went about the same as before. The tube refilled with LCL, a new body was deposited, and then he would upload all the relevant information. Everything went smoothly as before until he activated the forth carnation of Rei.
 
Moments after the forth had activated a soft groan was heard followed by something saying, “Ah, my head.” Gendo looked back behind him to see that Shinji had somehow risen again. He was on his knees with his right hand clutching his head, slightly moaning from an apparent pain in his head.
 
This left both men completely stunned and dumbfounded. This was humanly impossible. This should not have happened. But somehow he was alive. Somehow he had revived after a bullet had pierced him squarely between his eyes. It had run through his head completely causing irrevocable damage to his brain. He at the very least should be brain-dead but there he was; alive and well before their very eyes. It was a miracle. It was a disaster. It was not suppose to occur in the scenario.
 
“Shinji-kun,” a quiet voice called out drawing the attention of present company towards Rei, “Are you alright?”
 
“Yeah Rei,” Shinji painfully groaned. “Except my head, chest, and arm are killing me.”
 
“I too am experiencing discomfort in my head and forearm.”
 
“Head pains…forearms…can it be?” Fuyutsuki kneeled before Shinji and looked at his left arm, and then gently removed his right hand to reveal a red circular mark between his eyes. He then looked at the second's dead form to the hole upon her chest, and then the Rei in the tube to see her nursing her left forearm while frowning.
 
“So they can experience one another's pains now,” he quietly muttered.
 
“Report,” the Commander ordered.
 
“The Third Child is currently experiencing pain in his forehead and left forearm while at the same time minor aches in his chest, whereas the First Child is only experiencing aches in the same forearm and forehead.”
 
“I see,” Gendo murmured. “First Child, Third child, explain yourselves.”
 
“I am unsure sir,” Rei quietly replied.
 
“How could you?” Shinji quietly groaned. “How could you so easily kill me? How?!”
 
“It was a necessary step,” he calmly replied. “However since that is not an option, other measures must be taken.”
 
“YOU BASTARD!” Shinji roared as he bolted forward in blind rage. His own father had killed him in cold blood. He had killed Rei in cold blood. Through Rei, Asuka, and him, or rather through their hands he had hurt and killed many people in cold bloody. Shinji was beyond logic, he was beyond reasoning, and he was beyond control. He was the Shinji Ikari that hated his father. He was the part that could never assert itself due to his desires to somehow become something worthy in his father's eyes. Now there was only anger; deep, destructed, deranged anger.
 
As he roared it filled the room much like a tank being filled with water. His raging voice was a war cry demanding for the spilling of Gendo Ikari's blood. It was a declaration of war, the reason, for hurting him and those he cared for. For a moment Kouzo could see something in Shinji. For a moment he could hear something from Shinji. For a moment he could see a might, ferocious, all-powerful, almighty dragon, charging the Dark Lord of NERV.
 
Gendo calmly raised his firearm once more as he prepared to fire. To him Shinji was someone who needed to know his place. It was as simple as that. And if he wouldn't submit he would be killed. That was all to it.
 
“Shinji-kun, please stop.” He instantly stopped less than two meters from what would've been another death. He looked back to see Rei dripping wet in LCL with her hand on his shoulder. Her face stoic, her eyes filled with worry and dread for what could have happened. His breathing slowly transitioned from ragged and rapid to slow and calm as he brought his arms back down to his side and stood straight.
 
Gendo looked behind him through the corner of his eyes to see that Kouzo had somehow sneaked behind him and released Rei. But it was of little concern and it had saved him the trouble of creating more blood stains in the chamber.
 
Kouzo breathed out a sigh of relief as he watched the interaction between the two unfold. Shinji in many respects was indeed a dragon, strong, powerful, reliable, and kind-hearted. Wisdom would come with time. Rei on the other hand was indeed an angel. To calm the power, danger, and ferocity of a dragon would take a lot of courage and nerve to approach such a beast, especially when it's angry.
 
Gendo sigh slightly before he began to speak, “You are to not speak of what has transpired. Further more you are to keep all important information classified. Refer to Rei for whatever information you shall require.” He turned to leave but paused to a moment, “Fuyutsuki have then cleaned up before bringing them back up, however be quick. You have 5 minutes.” He then resumed walking.
 
“Yes sir,” Kouzo bitterly stated before he tended to the pilots.
 
Five minutes later all of them were assembled in Gendo's office without traces from the incident 5 minutes prior. Silenced filled the room again as the two bonded children stared at the Commander, a man they had once fear but now had a deep-seated hatred towards.
 
“Major you may return,” the Commander said effectively cutting through the dead silence.
 
Outside Misato gulped upon hearing the Commander recall her. They had been inside for an awfully long time and now she was being called back in. her mind began to frantically wonder. What did they talk about? What did he do to them? What did he threaten them with? She suddenly found herself worrying for Rei. She never really did care for Rei beyond the superior to subordinate relationship. Now it was more of the sisterly or motherly caring she was feeling towards the girl, much like she did for Shinji. When did she start caring for her? That didn't matter now as she prepared to enter his office. Those two along with Asuka were her responsibility and by god if she was going to let something happen to them. She took a deep breath, gathered all of her courage, or rather lack thereof, and entered the office.
 
“Yes sir?” Misato asked as she walked across the office towards the desk.
 
“I have authorized the move,” he calmly replied which brought a sigh to Misato's lips. “However,” bringing her joy down a few pegs, “they are to relocate to the adjacent quarters. I have already made the appropriate arrangements. They may spend a certain amount of time and meals in your quarters but ultimately they are to remain in their quarters at the curfew and sleep there until have decided otherwise. Is that understood Major?”
 
There was such finality in his voice that all Misato could say was, “Yes sir.”
 
“Dismissed.” Shinji and Rei immediately turned around and made their way towards the door at a quick pace. They were not willing to spend another minute around the deranged man. He had just basically killed them twice and they were not going to stick around for a 3rd and possibly 4th death. Seeing the seemingly urgent need to leave Misato quickly reopened the door as they stormed out.
 
“Ikari,” Kouzo began, “you shouldn't have killed them in the first place. Should Yui-kun ever learn of this she may reject you.” Gendo remained silent, however he had to agree. He was on very thin ice with Yui.
 
Meanwhile inside one of the many elevators within the complex, “So…you guys mind filling me in on what happened?” Misato carefully asked.
 
“No!” they snapped. Misato could only groan as they had resumed their synchronized state again. This was something she knew she had to get used to, but it was something she found really had to cope with. This was getting ridiculous to say the least in the sense that she was making a big fuss over this. They just had a break accident only two days ago, and they just had to deal with the Commander. Whatever he did must've been bad if neither of them were willing to talk about it at the moment. However she wanted to know what happened and she would find out if it was the last thing she did.
 
The ride back to the apartment was fine. They had made a quick stop at Rei's apartment to pack her clothes and other personal effects, which wasn't much, and then to a local market to buy some food for their new apartment and then a liquor store to do some much needed restocking of Misato's all-time favourite, Yebesu beer.
 
They made their way to Shinji and Rei's new apartment to find a key card taped to the door. They opened the door and entered to find it minimally refurbished. The room had two futons, a kitchen with a few cupboards, stove and refrigerator, and a working bathroom and three empty rooms. Misato frowned at the sight along with Shinji, however remained impassive. A further inspection of the room revealed that most of the apartment was coated in a half an inch thick layer of dust, save for the kitchen, bathroom, and main room which apparently had been minimally dealt with to insure sanitary needs were met to a certain point. They also noticed that there were a few rats running about. That instantly sent chills down Misato's spine, despite her hardened nature. Most people naturally would freak at the initial sight of rats.
 
The cupboards themselves were either empty or were homes to spiders, insect colonies, or rats. Misato started to freak about how she was living next door to a dump. It was pretty much disgusting, and Misato really wondered how anyone could actually live in such a place. Then again this place made Rei's old place look like a liveable place in comparison. How they were going to restore this was beyond her at the moment. But with Shinji and Rei working together, she was sure they would come up with something.
 
“I suppose I'll let you guys put your stuff away and meet you at my place?” Misato suggested. Their response was simply taking their bags and the few possessions of Rei's and went about their business.
 
“I'll take that as a yes then. Anyways you needs to talk to Asuka about this or you guys won't be able to fight properly.” As Misato made her way back to her room she suddenly had a thought and smacked her forehead.
 
“Oh great, just great! Speaking of fighting properly against the Angels, how are those two going to fight in their Evas?” she let out a sigh as she entered. “I guess I'll worry about that after lunch.”
 
“Misato,” a voice whined inside, “where's that baka Shinji? I want real food!”
 
“Oh this is not good,” Misato grumbled as she walked along the hallway and into the main room.
 
“Well? He's supposed to home today, but I don't see him. He's supposed to make me lunch. I, the great Asuka Soryu Langley do not deserve to be fed sub par, not to mention gross, food.”
 
“Gross?” Misato shrieked as she opened the fridge door. “Sub par?” her facing turning into the same expression she had when she had yelled at Kaji a while back on the Over the Rainbow as she turned to face the offender. “What's that suppose to mean?! Are you saying my cooking is bad? Anything is good with curry! For that matter, HOW DARE YOU INSULT MY COOKING?! AND AFTER EVERYTHING I'VE DONE, how can you insult me so?” putting on a sad face as she asked that last question.
 
“And how pray tell have you done anything for me? Besides allowing that baka to live here in my presence, bought me dinner after we beat that Angel, which wasn't all that good I might add, and gave me a place to stay?” Asuka replied highly exasperated as he left eyebrow began to twitch.
 
“Well I uh…eh…that is uh…he, he…” Misato began to sweat and chuckle nervously as she tried to comp up with an answer.
 
“Well?” she asked as she crossed her arms and started to tap her foot. “I'm waiting.”
 
Misato continued to find a comment while under Asuka's gaze until, “She has a point Misato-san. You haven't done much for us,” someone shot her down.
 
“About time baka! I'm - What is she doing here?” Asuka cried while pointing a finger towards Rei.
 
“It is rather rude to point Soryu-san,” Rei calmly replied as she entered. “And to answer your question I am your neighbour.”
 
“Huh?” raising an eyebrow in confusion. “So he allowed the doll to move? Let me guess you were ordered to move here?”
 
“No, I was not.”
 
“Misato-san asked the Commander-”
 
“And he approved.”
 
“I see.” She turned to leave the room when, “NANI?!!” She immediately turned around and stared at them wide eyed along with Misato.
 
They raised a shaky finger as they both asked in a double voice fashion, “How…how…how did you do that?”
 
“Do what?” the two replied.
 
“Talk-talking one after the other,” Misato shakily replied. Bother looked at another for a moment in confusion. They turned back to the pair and were silent for a moment.
 
“We do not understand-”
 
“What you're talking about.”
 
Misato start to stutter incoherent words for a moment before she crossed her arms into an X and said, “Uh, uh! No way! That's it! I've had it! I'm not dealing with this shit anymore! I just want some lunch and some beer, and then work. GOT IT!” all three flinched at the lavender haired woman's outburst. They could see in her hazel eyes burned a firestorm that no normal person would ever dare mess with. All the while the winged occupant lazily poked its head out of it's, `house,' to see what all the commotion was. Seeing that lunch wasn't going to be ready just yet it shrugged and disappeared. Seeing her point was made, she huffed, grabbed can of cold beer, and walked into the living room.
 
“And I want to see lunch soon!” Misato bellowed. All three let out sighs before Shinji and Rei set about preparing lunch for everyone. Asuka opened her mouth to speak when her stomach beat her to it. Blushing from her embarrassing moment she let out a small squeak as she dashed for her room in an anime-like fashion.
 
About fifteen minutes later everyone had sat down to some ramen. Despite the fact it was your average instant, but with Shinji's cooking he turned it into a worthy meal fit for the clergy especially with Rei's help. Asuka kept throwing glances towards Shinji on her left and Rei across him as she ate. Throughout the meal she closely observed their behaviour. She had known them for a while, plus with her observant abilities, she noticed subtle changes; at least for Shinji anyways.
 
Whenever he ate with her and Misato, his demeanour was a rather subdued one. He usually tried to hide himself in his food while he ate and only spoke when necessary. That was the Shinji she had gotten to know. But now he was straight backed more than usual, and confident albeit he still looked uncomfortable sitting next to her; at least he didn't try to shy away from his problem. A nice change so to speak. Rei on the other hand was a mystery. Asuka just didn't know what to think of her as her demeanour had completely changed. There were no signs of the cold, lifeless expression she normally wore. Although her face was impassive as ever she made subtle movements along her face that weren't there before. There was something wrong about them and she intended to find out. Right after lunch of course.
 
After lunch Misato took off for NERV again while leaving instructions for them to behave themselves while she was gone. She had left those instructions in the hope that she wouldn't come home to a big mess for dinner. The last thing she needed was a destroyed apartment building. It was bad enough that her room was a mess, but if that same tornado were to strike the rest of the apartment she was going to have a coronary, she was sure of it. Especially if Shinji had changed as much as she believes, he won't be as submissive as before. Plus with Rei most likely changed, the chance that there was going to be problems was very high. As she hopped into her Renaults she decided to make a pit stop at that liquor store and grab some beer. She had a feeling she might need it tonight.
 
Inside Asuka watched Shinji and Rei as they as they washed the dishes. As she observed their actions she noted some distinct changes in their behaviour. As they worked they went about the kitchen like clockwork, in perfect synchronization. Every move one made was picked up by the other without words. If Shinji passed Rei a dish she would receive it in mid pass. Even with Shinji's broken forearm they still worked. Asuka could only stare in awe as the two worked in harmony.
 
Watching the two working together in perfect sync reminded her of her synchronizing training with Shinji. They had moved in sync, fought in sync, they even probably thought and definitely talked in sync for the duration of the training. However their synchronization afterwards became non-existent. They became discordant again and began to fight as per usual once more. She wondered what had happened but then shrugged it off as she realized she'd most likely start thinking and doing perverted things that were in his mind.
 
As they finished putting away the last of the dishes, the two of them faced Asuka and said, “Asuka-san, we wish to speak with you.” For an instant Asuka froze at the duel-spoken phrase the two said. The way they had spoke brought a chill to her spine as it wasn't everyday one would see two people move, thought, and talked as one. It proved to be somewhat disturbing to her as she was still not prepared despite all the mental preparations she went through since two days ago.
 
She quickly recovered as she shook her head clear and said, “Uh…okay, sure, yeah … What do you two want to talk about?” they motioned for her to sit down as they did, suddenly looking at one another. As she sat down she noticed the sudden silence between the two of them as they looked at one another.
 
Asuka opened her mouth to speak they suddenly turned their heads towards her and asked, “How do you feel about our situation?”
 
“You want to know what I think?” she asked pointing to herself with her thumb, eliciting a synchronous nod from them.
 
“You want to know what I think?!” she asked more forcefully, yet this time receiving no response.
 
“Well I find this whole thing FUCKED UP! That's what I think!” she said in a loud, somewhat brutish manner. “I mean you day started off find, and then you two just had to have your accident which has now sent everything downhill! First, I'm left with the dirty work of putting your Eva's upright after they got you out, then I walk into your stupid little room the following morning to see you two all synchronized which scared the living daylights out of me and almost made me puke! I'll have to kill you guys for that later I'll have you know.” She suddenly exhaled deeply before taking another deep breath, “AND,” baring her teeth, “I had to put up with Misato's cook for TWO DAYS!” holding up two fingers in their faces. “You hear that? TWO BLOODY DAYS! And now I have to deal with you two all synchronized and shit, and it's driving me nuts! What do you think I think of this?”
 
Throughout the rant Shinji and Rei had sat still as Asuka yelled her heart out. When she had finished and started to pan Shinji who had been silent broke into a wide smile before he started to snicker uncontrollably. Asuka and Rei gave him curious looks as he suddenly broke out laughing. The girls could only stare in awe as he let out a fully, happy, hearty laugh. It was truly a surprised for the two of them to hear such laughter, especially from the normally quiet, reserved, introvert boy he normally war. Seeing such a change was a rather nice surprise, especially for Asuka.
 
For Rei, it also confused her that she said, “Shinji-kun, I fail to see how this is funny. This is her normally state of being correct?”
 
“Yes,” he weakly responded as he continued to laugh, “but having my experiences and actually experience her rants are two … two … two completely different experiences.” He instantly broke out into another burst of laughter collapsing onto the floor clutching his abdomen, while trying to avoid hurting his left arm.
 
Watching Shinji roll around in laughter slowly brought a smile to Asuka's lips as she started to giggle. Soon enough she joined Shinji in the laughter. Rei continued to watch the two of them laugh, as she tried to understand how it was amusing. Even in their bonded state, they only shared memories and so far physical discomfort. As she continued to ponder on the matter she subconsciously rubbed the spot between her eyebrows. The more she searched, the closer she came to the answer. Soon enough she brought up the experiences he had with Asuka, which brought a small smile to her face. However he was correct in that recalling his experiences and actually experiencing Asuka was completely different. Despite this difference this gave her a chance to see what it would be like to be with Asuka. So she sat back and watched her fellow pilots roll in laughter, quietly enjoying herself in the laughing.
 
After ten minutes or so the two of them had finally calmed down enough to sit down again talk, all of them in higher spirits than they've ever been in their entire lives.
 
“So,” Asuka began with a smirk on her face, “what's new?” Shinji and Rei looked at one another momentarily with unsure expressions on their faces. After a moment or so they nodded and faced the German red head again.
 
“Shinji is my roommate,” Rei calmly stated. In that instant, Asuka's mind started to work, pulling ideas, thoughts, personal experiences and the like from her head and memories as she started to put it together into a coherent thought.
 
“WHAT?” Asuka angrily shrieked causing Shinji to slightly wince in fear. “YOU MEAN THAT YOU THE DOLL, AND HIM THE IDIOT, ARE GOING TO LIVE AND SLEEP IN THE SAME APARTMENT?!!!”
 
“That is correct Soryu-san.”
 
Asuka let out a groan as she continued, “Are you mad? He's a bloody pervert. A good for nothing hentai. He'll probably grope you in your sleep! You're linked; you should see what's in his mind!”
 
“That is not the case Soryu-san.”
 
“We are required to sleep-”
 
“In the same apartment-”
 
“Due to the results form-”
 
“The cross-synchronization experiment.”
 
“What? Who? What the…” Asuka's head was whipping back and forth between the two as she tried to figure out what just happened. They had done it again. They were speaking back and forth again and now it started to creep her out to no end.
 
“What a day,” she groaned as she started to bang her hand on the table. This was too much for her. First they spoke as one, then worked as one, then ate as one. And now they spoke in perfect sync. Was there no end to this mess? This was just too weird for her to take in, in one day.
 
“This is going to take some getting used to,” she mumbled against the table.
 
“That it will, Soryu-san,” they stated together eliciting another groan from Asuka.
 
“We will be in Shinji-kun's room to pack his belongings.” Asuka slightly grunted in affirmation before she drugged herself off towards her room.
 
“I'm going to take a nap,” she stated from the doorway. “This day so far has been way to weird.” She then closed the door following by a thump indicating she was in bed.
 
“More than you know Asuka.”
 
“More than you know.”
 
So how was that? I've finally got the interaction between all three, and I think it turned out well. So please give me your thoughts, reviews and such. And don't forget to state your reviews concerning chapter 3. And the next three chapters will basically be the conversation between Shinji and Rei, then their first day back in school, and then the reactivation test, to see if they can pilot separately.
 
Well anyways, that's all from me
 
Cheers ^^ Ja ne