Onmyou Taisenki Fan Fiction ❯ Onmyou Taisenki: Rebirth ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A sea of Darkness…
 
Encompassing…
 
Endless…
 
Nothing before… Nothing after…
 
A flash of light shines in the gloom…
 
A world filled with destruction…ruins…fire…chaos…
 
A figure standing over a hill in twilight…
 
A shadow cast over the world…
 
A face covered by black…
 
A tear brining life falls from the figure landing to the fallen world…
 
Another flash of light…
 
A sword of white…glowing with favor from the Heavens…
 
A sword of red…burning with the holy flame and with the flame of the demons
 
A lance of blue…covered in ice…flowing like a stream…gentle winds surrounding…
 
Another flash…
 
`Filled with darkness…'
 
`Covered with light…'
 
`Song of destruction…'
 
`Demon's Lord…'
 
`Heaven's Bane…'
 
A final flash of light…
 
A protector standing over a form… A face filled with grief…A child sleeping silently…
 
A sword in hand…A bell that rings a toll…Red covering the earth…A tear shed in loss…
 
Kogenta woke with a start while panting from his dream. Or maybe vision? The white tiger warrior didn't know but he did know that whatever it was carried with it an ominous tone. The scenes he had witnessed were like a picture painted by an artist foretelling a message of great importance yet never revealing the direct message. Like pieces of a puzzle scattered in just the right way to tell exactly what it was supposed to but not giving more than necessary details.
 
Calming his breathing Kogenta was able to get his bearings and look around the room he was staying in. The smells of tea and pinewood wafted pass the white and blue-stripped tiger's nose and the feel of a cotton mattress under his body told the Kogenta that he was still at Riku's teahouse. As his memories rolled to the front of his mind the samurai was able to recall past events and remembered what he needed to. In turn the dream/vision he had faded somewhere to the back corner of his mind, just enough to tease him but never enough to be completely recalled.
 
Sighing and shaking his head Kogenta cast away the burdensome thoughts before he stiffened. Something was right on the side of his body and whatever it was had him in a constraining hold. Looking down ruby eyes settled on a mop of brown hair leading to a cherubic face complete with closed violet eyes, a cute wriggling nose and full pale lips semi open. It seems that Riku had sunk into the tiger samurai's room and cuddled up with him, again. This would make the second time the human slipped passed Kogenta's accurate senses and latched himself onto his body in a bear hug.
 
It surprised Kogenta, to say the least, that the human was able to enter his personal space without the warrior feeling apprehensive or annoyed. Most creatures, be they human, beast or anything else, never got an opportunity to get near Kogenta save one other person. The white tiger preferred to keep others at a distance for their own safety because with the life he had led quite a few men and women wanted Kogenta's hide. It had been several decades since he had anyone this close to him and even that man had never entered his invisible boundaries without permission. It was almost humorous that this sheltered human boy would have somehow latched himself onto someone who had never sought or needed another's contact with such ease and seemed to be…comfortable in his presence.
 
Not feeling like trying to move Riku from his position Kogenta just laid back down onto the futon and looked at the ceiling. The dream he had, it made the warrior feel something foreboding in his soul. Like something was trying to tell him of things to come maybe. Or maybe it was a vision of future events. Growling at that Kogenta refused to except that possibility…he had dealt with the Fates and their temperamental ways before. Whenever they wanted something done in a certain way, shape, fashion or form it always led to the destruction of nation and lives.
 
How long had it been since he had to fight against the Fate's? How much time had passed since he had seen the wrath of the heavens? The fury of the underworld? So many dead. So much gone forever in the winds of time. All at the whims of Fate. Well no matter their game he would not play it again. Long ago Kogenta had been nothing more than a child in the world; lost, unsure, needing but now he was an adult and he would decide his own future. He would choose when to die, where he went, what he did, and what he wanted and no one would say other wise. This was the life he had chosen and all the pain and hardships that came with it.
 
A light yawn followed by a squirming bundle brought Kogenta from his inner musings. Looking down he saw that Riku was still asleep and snuggling deeper into the fold of his armor. Kogenta had been alive so long he almost never took of his body mail and although it could get uncomfortable it was better to have protection while he slept that a knife in his chest. The brown haired human didn't seem to mind much and curled deeper into the folds of his chest.
 
Why, he would never know but Kogenta wrapped his tail around the waist of the boy and pulled him closer into his body. Normally, had one of the tavern maids gotten this close, those bold enough to, he would immediately drop them from his bed and then kicked the women out. It should have been easy to do so to Riku but something inside of Kogenta refused to attempt to untangle the boy from himself. A feeling, no an instinct long ago thought suppressed, cried out to have the child near him. Something about the way Riku looked, too innocent to be alive, his scent, rich and filled with child like purity, and his aura, shimmering in harmony with his own, made the white tiger feel protective of the boy.
 
The last talent that Kogenta possessed he had come across long ago. It was unique to say the least and the samurai had often used this power to judge the character of others to see just how trustworthy they were. The sight saved Kogenta many times when he dealt with people, especially humans and those in power. Now the gift he had was showing him just how fragile Riku was and just how much he needed to be protected.
 
`A child…knowing nothing of the world…in the fields of lost souls…' Kogenta thought about the words he had heard long ago from an old seer and wondered if maybe…
 
Riku started to move again but this time it was in a way that made Kogenta feel… uncomfortable. The brown haired boy was moving around and shifting his body in all the right places making the white tiger very…excited to say the least. Small hands ghosted over the samurai's chest armor, that pale throat pulsed with life blood just underneath Kogenta' nose, thin legs wrapped around his own, a developing chest pressed against another, and little gasps and whimpers flew from Riku's mouth.
 
Kogenta felt his shaft harden as the human pushed all the right buttons to make him slowly go mad from mating need. It had been almost half a century since Kogenta had coupled with another and his body was reacting to Riku's against his will. Though he might act civilized and proper and even speak multiple languages, cook, fight with a sword or barehanded Kogenta was still part animal. There were certain needs that had to be fulfilled and no amount of denying would change that fact. His paws had served him well over the last fifty or so years but when faced with a mate right below him wiggling in his hold and begging for his attention Kogenta couldn't…
 
Yelping the white tiger snapped out of the heat he was falling into and pulled away from Riku as if he had been burned. Backing away with his tail raised into the air and frizzed as if he had been electrocuted, ruby eyes gone wide in surprise, and his tigerhood straining to get out of his pants Kogenta looked at Riku as if he were some kind of demon. The cute and innocent face beguiled what a wanton little bed warmer the boy could become and the samurai had to work fast to keep from doing something he would later regret.
 
Riku became more and more agitated and soon he opened his violent eyes and yawned cutely. Looking around his gaze settled on Kogenta who staring at him funnily and the young boy could only wonder how he got into the guest room. Getting up the brown haired human stretched his muscled and then settled onto the futon before looking at the white tiger.
 
“Good morning Kogenta.” Riku said good-naturedly
 
“Morning…” Kogenta had to try and hold himself together before he let on as to what almost happened a moment ago
 
“Are you alright?” the boy asked while studying the samurai
 
“Yeah…uh…just fine… When's breakfast by the way?” a quick change of subject should deter Riku and buy Kogenta the time he needed to organize himself and his thoughts
 
Looking outside of the window Riku saw that it was growing lighter and in a few minutes it would be time to open the teahouse for business. It would still be an hour before he needed to get ready for the day but his guest was probably hungry and grandfather did say that he should always try to please a customer as best he could. Smiling to the white tiger Riku got up and then headed out to the living room area to begin making the morning meal.
 
Kogenta was never so happy that Riku had decided to not question him further and leave the room. Settling his rapid breathing the samurai semi meditated to calm himself and stave off his desires, for now at least. Once confident that he was no longer in danger of pouncing on the brown haired human and pounding him into the floor Kogenta got up and made his way to the living area. The scent of smoking wood filled the warrior's nose and Kogenta looked over to see Riku mulling around in the kitchen.
 
“Oy…Riku! Need me to help?” Kogenta kept his question short and simple as not to give anything away that may have been hidden inside of his query
 
“You don't have to help Kogenta. I can manage.” Riku said as he pulled out the eating utensils and food
 
“That might be true but I want to help out. It will give me something to do until the foods ready.” the white said covering up the fact he wanted to be closer to the boy
 
“Well, uh…could you maybe get a few pieces of wood from the wood stock outside behind the house. I think I'll need some more wood for today.” Riku looked to see only three pieces of kindling left by the side of the fireplace and his senses' tingled signaling that someone would be coming by later today
 
Nodding the tiger left out to fetch the wood and was graced by the cool wind of morning as the light from the sun brought a shine to the plains. The first rays always seemed to energize the white tiger and his body beamed with unreleased tension. Without warning Kogenta did something he hadn't done in years.
 
`Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!' the entire area seemed to quiver at the magnitude of his wail and Kogenta was happy to have let the world know that he was alive and awake.
 
Smirking to himself the samurai watched as a few birds flew from their perch and a couple of deer run into the forest. The sight of the golden brown fur of the bucks and fawns running and dashing around sparked a primal cord in his soul. For two days he had not had the taste of flesh on his lips or blood in his mouth and the beast that the tiger was demanded a sacrifice to his hunger. Looking back at the teahouse Kogenta nodded as he thought about what Riku would say when he brought in a fresh kill on his back and had the pleasure of devouring meat.
 
Rushing to the dense sanctuary of trees Kogenta sprinted away on the balls of his feet with not a sound being made behind him. The grass underneath him was torn up and then scattered into the wind as the white tiger ran into the trees and then stopped to look around. The forest was still asleep and his call had barley disturbed the area so it gave Kogenta just enough time to find a kill and bring it back while everything was still unaware.
 
Moving with quiet steps the warrior scanned the area for a buck large enough to satisfy himself and good enough to present to Riku. Minutes ticked by as the samurai moved deeper into the canopy of trees and soon he spotted something perfect. A young male deer was grazing in the grass not more than a few meters from his position. The wind had favored the white tiger and the buck remained ignorant of his presence. Kogenta had to be careful because one slip and such a prize would be gone and he would have to waste more time searching for another.
 
With cautious steps he moved closer and closer, the deer unknowingly standing before death. His tail didn't move in the slightest, as not to have his bell chime unnecessarily, his breathing slowed to almost a halt, ears flicked to catch the sound of any other predator that may be around, his claws poised for the kill, ruby eyes narrowed into slits, and his body coiled for action.
 
The buck looked up and stared around as something told it to be wary. Around all side the animal looked for danger but nothing could be seen and the wind carried no smell of danger. Shaking and going back to grazing on the land the deer kept alert for possible threats.
 
Kogenta smiled with his teeth gleaming in the morning light as the sun glowed brightly onto the land. A small growl left his throat and his body positioned itself into the perfect stance as the tiger got ready. The deer looked up at the sound and took one step back and that was it… Jumping from his place in the grass Kogenta made a glorious sight as he stretched out his body to its' full length and aimed himself at his prey.
 
The deer, frightened beyond reason at seeing the coming creature tried to move its body out of the path but didn't have enough time as Kogenta's claws pierce its golden furred hide and sunk deep into flesh. The animal screamed a mournful call as it's blood rushed from its wounds onto the claws of the white tiger and down further to the grassy ground. The deer bucked, kicked, jumped, and rolled as it tried to get free of the predator but Kogenta was stronger though and he held on steadfast against the prowess of the animal trying to free itself.
 
Holding on and then sinking more of his weight into his hold Kogenta could see the crimson blood gush from his attack. He smelt the deer dying ever so slowly as it lost the waters of life from its body and the fight leave as he clung onto the buck. Unwilling to give up the deer tried to use all of its remaining straight to knock Kogenta free but when the white tiger raised up his blood covered claws into the morning sky and then bring his hand down cutting through bone and hide the deer could only scream before falling to the earth.
 
Kogenta moved away as he saw that his attack had pierced through a vital organ and more and more blood drained onto the ground. The buck tired to get up but only succeeded in tiring itself out and crashed to the blood covered grass one last time before standing no more. Walking over to the fallen animal Kogenta looked into the creature's eyes and saw that it accepted its death. Reaching down the white tiger flexed his claws before driving them into the deer's neck and severing its head from the rest of its body. The body of the buck twitched a few times before falling deathly still.
 
Looking down at his prize Kogenta roared out loud once more and then looked down at himself. His entire body was covered in deer blood and he smelled of death and fresh kill, he knew he couldn't return to his m…Riku like that so he made a plan to dive into the river nearby before going h…back. Nodding to himself the samurai hefted his load onto his back and then walked to the teahouse.
 
Before his dip into the river Kogenta decided to make life easier on Riku and clean out the entrails of the buck since the sight would probably make the boy nauseous. It made him feel the sick and he had been doing this for centuries so he wouldn't put such a burdensome task on the brown haired child's shoulders. Finished and covered in flecks of intestine and dried blood Kogenta stripped off his armor, pants and rope belt before diving into the flowing waters. It was cold so early in the morning and Kogenta was grateful that he only had to dip and not bathe in the stuff. Personally he hated water in any form other than snow and even the cold falling white dewdrops unnerved him a little.
 
Once done with that task Kogenta got out, completely soak and shivering and grabbed his things and the deer carcass. Dragging both back Kogenta was greeted back at the site of a worried Riku looking for him. When the young human had caught sight of the white tiger he immediately rushed to Kogenta and then stared at him with a look of disbelief.
 
“Kogenta, what happened to you?! Are you okay?!” the boy asked as he gazed at the white tiger to check for wounds
 
“I'm fine. I got something though. Here.” Kogenta dropped the dead dear onto the ground at Riku's feet and then his armor by his side
 
“Wha…? Kogenta what is…?” Riku tried to form a coherent question as he looked to the deer before him
 
“I brought this for you and myself. I can cook it if you don't know how to.” Kogenta offered as he worried that his gift wouldn't be appreciated
 
“Kogenta, I've never had meat before in my life so I don't know what to say. Wait.” Riku around the carcass and then walked up to Kogenta before he bowed to the tiger
 
“Arigato Kogenta-sama.” Riku said as he looked back up to the soaked samurai
 
Unable to think Kogenta just did what came naturally. He patted Riku on his brown head and then smirked to the boy. Riku smiled before looking at the white tiger's dripping fur and running back inside. A second later the boy carried out a two large towels and a brush and offered them to his friend. Taking the offered tools from the brown haired child Kogenta smirked and began drying himself.
 
Minutes later Kogenta had dried himself off and then made a spit for the deer to roast on. Riku offered to clean the warrior's armor but the whiter tiger asked for some herbs instead while he skinned the fur from the buck, it would make a fine price if he caught the right merchant. Once he laid the pelt somewhere it wouldn't get damaged the white tiger made a spit so that the deer could cook while Riku gathered some herbs from the kitchen.
 
Finding what Kogenta had asked for Riku hurried back outside and then looked at the slowly roasting carcass. The flames seemed to dance as they lapped over the flesh of the dead animal and the smell of burning animal made Riku feel weak. Dropping to the ground the brown haired boy stared at the cooking meat and then to the flames. It seemed familiar to him to see fire over flesh and bone and Riku wondered why. Something inside of his head throbbed with a memory but the boy only shook his head.
 
His grandfather had never let him have meat before saying that it was better to live the life of a vegetarian. A good and clean lifestyle respected by everyone but Riku wouldn't turn away what Kogenta had gone through all the trouble of bringing him.
 
Speaking of Kogenta, Riku let his eyes scan both left and right until the brown haired tea maker spotted the white and blue-stripped tiger over by a small pail of water. The samurai was sitting on one of the towels that he had brought out while using the other to clean off his armor. Moving closer Riku was able to see the muscles in the tiger's arms flex and coil as Kogenta put a lot of effort into getting off the dried blood. Without asking Riku reached out to take the bloody pants of the samurai and then dip them into the water set before them.
 
Kogenta snapped his head to the side in mild surprise as he watched the brown haired child wash his pants clean of the blood he had gathered from fighting the deer. He watched as the boy carefully sunk the red fabric into the water and then let them soak before pulling the material out and wringing the clothing. The white tiger underestimated the strength that Riku possessed as the child used his pale hands to purge free the crimson blood off his pants before dipping them again. Smirking to himself Kogenta returned to finish his own cleaning.
 
Once both were finished with their individual chore they both reached out for the rope belt and touched each other's hands. A white furred paw covered a smaller pale human hand and both looked up at each other. Riku smiled and then backed away to let Kogenta do as he pleased and then got up and took the damp pants to the back of the house.
 
“Kogenta, I'm going to put your pants on the line in the back. If you want to you can bring both your armor and belt back here to dry.” Riku said as he waited for the white tiger's reply
 
Still stunned at the feeling of the brown haired boy's hand under his it took the samurai a moment to process what he had been told. When he did Kogenta nodded quickly and then took his belt and washed it without looking back up. Riku smiled and walked behind the teahouse unaware of what was going through the warrior's head. Kogenta refused to think about how it had felt after he had touched the boy and concentrated on the task at hand and keeping the meat from burning.
 
Once his task was complete the white tiger grabbed his armor and rope belt and brought it to the rear of the tiny teahouse. In the back Riku was gathering several pieces of chopped wood from a storage bin and holding them under his left arm. Once he had enough kindling the young man closed the bin and started for the house. Walking by the brown haired boy saw Kogenta holding his garments and the stepped up to him.
 
“You can put your armor under the clothes line so that it will dry faster and hang that belt next to your pants.” said the tea maker as he turned in the direction of the hanging clothes. On the line where many shirts and pants that had been set out to air and Kogenta wondered just when Riku had the time to clean clothes since he had been in the company of the white tiger for the last two days.
 
“Actually, I hung the clothes out today. Grandfather had asked me too before he wanted me to gather the herbs. I forgot to bring them in after all that happened so I'll bring them in later on today.” Riku answered the samurai's question with a sheepish smile
 
“Okay…sure.” Kogenta narrowed his eyes at the boy before trudging over to the hanging line and tossing his belt over. Riku meanwhile had gone ahead and taken his bundle of wood inside the house leaving Kogenta to his thoughts.
 
`That's another time that that kid has heard my thoughts. Is he some kind of oracle? No I can't sense any kind of divine energy coming from him but he definitely has some kind of magic about himself. That old man…something's not right about all this. He's never had the taste of flesh before and never gone past the forest or mountains, what kind of man would shelter a young boy in such a way? Wait…maybe he's not sheltering. Maybe he's hiding Riku, but from what?' Kogenta's thoughts plagued him as he remember everything he could about the rumors and legends he had heard from prophets and storytellers. It could be that Riku was someone of importance and the older human was protecting him from something sinister but nothing sprang to the samurai's mind.
 
He recalled the old man telling him that Riku had a kind heart and others would use him? Could it be that these others wanted the young boy for their own purposes? Now that he thought about it a bit more, the old man never said that Riku was human? Some kind of higher deity in a dormant form? A godling not yet in control of his powers? A demon from the nether hells? No, the last was out completely. Riku was a good person and demons…demons hurt people and killed and ravaged cities. No the last option was not possible.
 
Shaking his furry head Kogenta refused to believe Riku could ever be evil incarnate. That smile was too genuine and sincere even if many demons did hide behind… No! Never! Steeling his heart and mind the white tiger would get answers out of the old human today even if he had to resort to violence. He had to know the truth about Riku, if only to put his mind at ease. Dropping his armor to the ground Kogenta raised is nose up and scented the air and smiled while running his tongue over his white lips. The deer had finished cooking and soon he and Riku would be sinking their teeth into warm flesh and filing their respective stomachs on something more than rice.
 
Laughing to himself the warrior rushed back to the front of the teahouse just in time to see someone standing in front. The person was on top of a black horse and had another by the reigns at his side. The man, as Kogenta guessed by the flat chest plate he wore, looked around the house and then directly at the white tiger. The gaze of the person was almost startling to the white tiger before he growled and bared his fangs in challenge.
 
The man laughed to himself and the deep baritone of his chuckle made the samurai annoyed for some reason.
 
“What the hell is so funny!?” the tiger nearly roared out loud as he yelled at the human
 
“I must be in the wrong place for I never would have guess I would be seeing a male such as yourself here.” said the strange male as he dismounted from his steed and walked up to the cooking deer
 
“What's that supposed to mean?” Kogenta wondered as he walked over to the pail of used water and doused it over the flames underneath the roasted animal
 
“I mean to say that I would have never guessed that they had men like yourself here.”
 
“What in the nine hells are you babblin' about? Men like me…?”
 
“Are you not one who sleeps with others for a price?”
 
The blood in Kogenta's veins seemed to boil at such a comment and for a fraction of a second the sight of himself snapping the neck of this person in his jaws flashed through the white tiger's mind. Glowering at the human with anger he never knew he could possess Kogenta stared straight at the human and then spoke in a deadly tone.
 
“What does that mean?” the words were said so slowly as if the samurai was promising a slow execution should the man answer wrong
 
Chuckling quietly the human pointed a single pale finger at the white tiger. Kogenta looked at himself and saw that he was still completely naked and the towels he remembered he had hung on the line. Oddly, without seeming fazed Kogenta looked back up at the man and then smirked before crossing his arms over his well toned chest.
 
“Sorry but I ain't a prostitute but thanks…” Kogenta left the sentence hang as he gazed with flashing ruby eyes towards the other male
 
Just as the human was about to comment Riku came outside with shirt and pair of pants in his arms. Looking between Kogenta and the new arrival the young man walked up to both of them and bowed before the stranger.
 
“Welcome to our teahouse. Please go inside and I'll serve you as soon as I'm done.” Riku bowed again before looking away from the traveler and turning to the white tiger
 
Giving the garments to the Kogenta took them without question but kept his eyes on the older human. The man smiled one last time before walking into the teahouse. Hissing between his teeth while looking away Kogenta dropped the pants to the ground and donning the shirt. The shirt was somewhat snug on the white tiger and he could guess that it was a shirt belonging to Riku since the old man was larger than the boy. Once the samurai had put on the clothes he realized that the brown haired boy was waiting for him.
 
“You know you didn't have to stay with me.” the warrior said as he tried to fight a raging heat that was settling over his face
 
“I wanted to make sure that you could fit the clothes I brought out. I thought that they might be a little tight on you since you're bigger than I am.” Riku rubbed the back of his head while a tiny bead of sweat dripped down his head
 
Kogenta smiled to himself at his correct assumptions and then pointed a claw at the cooling meat. Riku nodded before brining out a large knife and plate from inside of the teahouse and handing them over to the samurai. The white tiger looked at the tools he had been handed with a bit condensation but chose to use what he had been given. Turning to the warm deer meet Kogenta cut medium sized slabs off and placed them onto the china dish.
 
Preferably, the white tiger would have liked to forgo the civilized eating utensils and sunk both claw and fang into the animal flesh. The feel of warm meat on his tongue, the smell of skin and juices, the knowledge that you had made a kill and brought it back thrummed a primal cord in Kogenta. Looking at the deer, slow roasted on a spit and golden brown, made the samurai hunger to let loose his need to tear into the flesh with animalistic vigor but he wouldn't. The only thing that kept Kogenta from giving into his beastly desire was the fact that right behind him was his m…a young man who had probably never seen such savagery before. Kogenta would not act like a wild animal and sink his fangs into the hide of the venison; he had let his instincts rule him once but not again, not in front of Riku.
 
Placing a large number of slabs of meat onto the plate Kogenta left behind only the bones behind which he would dispose of later. Looking back to Riku the samurai nodded to the brown haired boy before heading inside and placing the food onto a table. The man who had rode up before was sitting at one of the tables and drinking a small cup of tea. Kogenta wanted to snub the human but something about this just kept nagging at him.
 
When Riku had entered behind his friend the boy went up to the traveler and spoke to him but the samurai filtered out the conversation. He wanted nothing to do with the man but kept an every watchful eye onto the boy, something about that human made his fur stand on end and he didn't trust him around Riku. Of course the brown haired tea maker didn't share in the warriors opinion and smiled at the wayfarer before going into the kitchen and brining out a bowl of freshly made rice. When he had set the bowl before the other human Riku offered the man some of the meat that Kogenta had brought in.
 
In the back of his mind two little Kogentas were having a meeting; one was wearing a white robe with a halo over his head the other was wearing red and looking teed off. The two began conversations with one another with the white Kogenta saying how nice Riku was while the other was mad about the boy offering his fresh kill to some stranger. The white one told the other that he should be happy the young man was nice and polite, something the other was not, and the red Kogenta said to shove it up his…
 
“Kogenta here you go.” the samurai looked down to see that Riku had made a fresh bowl of rice for himself and a few bits of meat where mixed in and a pair of chopsticks on top. The warrior was stunned that the child had gone through the trouble and hesitantly took the offering.
 
When the bowl was in his clawed hands Kogenta sat down at a table, far away from the human traveler and began to eat. Riku smiled and went to fix his own food and then sat down across from the white tiger. A huff left Kogenta as he watched the brown haired boy sit and begin eating before he closed his eyes and dug into the food. A snarl left his throat at the chuckle from the other human in the room and the samurai raised one eye to cast a glance at the vagabond.
 
Taking a better look at the older human Kogenta assessed the man; tall standing about five foot ten inches, dark sandy yellow hair, pale complexion, light blue eyes that seemed to change to green, well defined nose, thin red lips, the man wore a black body suit that was form fitting. He had muscle about him with the way his chest and arms stuck out, a broadsword was strapped to his waist, complete with black combat boots. The man seemed to be a warrior or at least a fighter by nature but the white tiger knew he could take him out easily if he tried anything, even without his sword.
 
“This taste great! My first time trying meat and I think I could eat it everyday from now on. Thanks Kogenta-sama.” At the praise from the boy Kogenta felt a blush settle on his cheeks and he looked back to his food indignant but somehow a little happier than he had been.
 
`Who thanks someone for giving them meat? Oh yeah, Riku never had it before. Huh, guess I didn't do so bad hunting this time I hope I can catch something again tomorrow. Wait a minute…I need to be getting my memory back so I can move on! I don't have time to hang around with some kid!' the samurai thought with distress that he was getting soft if he was wondering about feeding the kid, he didn't have time to waste with a child here, he needed to get on with his journey.
 
“Yes, I too must thank you for your hunt Kogenta-san. This kill is delicious and the way it was perfectly cooked makes me jealous. Did you use herbs to season the venison while it was cooking? I think I can taste some type of plant over the meat?” the complement seemed to anger the other warrior for some reason and the white tiger had to fight not to growl at the human.
 
Before he could say anything the sleepy form of Riku's grandfather walked out of his room and sniffed the air.
 
“Cooked meat…? Riku where did you get…you.? the older man cut himself off as he looked to Kogenta and the his grandson and finally to the food he was devouring. A look passed over the aging face but was gone as soon as it had appeared.
 
Looking to the other person in the room Riku's grandfather narrowed his eyes at the guest inside of the room. The other man looked at him with a polite smile but the white tiger could see a passing message between them that only came from experienced men. Men who had shed blood and taken the lives of many in battle and wars. Tensing Kogenta kept his senses up as he finished eating his food but was ever mindful of the two men.
 
“Grandfather, look Kogenta went out and brought us deer today. It pretty good, would like me to make you a bowl?” the child asked in that innocent way all children could.
 
“Ah Riku, no thank you I'll just make me a simple bowl of rice. You should eat as much as you can since Kogenta won't be here for long and it may be one of your last chances to have deer today.” the samurai looked at the older human with a sharp glance before he decided to speak out
 
“Well I may decide to stay here for a few days more before I move on, if the offer is still available to stay?” it was a question and a challenge as Kogenta wondered about Riku's grandfather's next choice of words
 
“No, no. The offer is still open. Stay as long as you need.” though the aging human had a smile on his face his body told a different story and Kogenta nodded while assessing what his senses told him
 
When the oldest man had set up his bowl and started to eat the room grew quiet with only the sounds of munching filling the air. Many times Riku had gotten up to fix himself another bowl of food along with his grandfather, Kogenta and the traveler while also fixing several cups of tea for everyone. The white tiger, on the other hand, kept careful watch over the other two people in the room while taking in the sights of Riku eating five large pieces of meat with a ravenous type of hunger. He couldn't help but smirk a little that his m…the boy enjoyed the kill he had brought before wincing that he had almost called the kid his m*** again.
 
For some reason the taste of the venison was wondrous for Riku as he had eaten several slabs along with more rice, but the young man couldn't figure out why. He knew that he liked the taste of the deer when he had first sunk his teeth into the flesh and swallowed it but it was strange for the brown haired boy to barely chew his food. When the brown haired boy did finally control himself and properly eat his food he bit his tongue. When he swallowed his food this time Riku licked over his teeth and for a minute he was sure that his front canines where sharper. Licking once more the boy guess he was wrong because then everything felt normal again. Maybe it was his imagination.
 
Once the food was eaten Riku took away everyone's bowls and cups then started washing the dishes in the small basin in the kitchen. Kogenta, deciding not to hang around doing nothing, went outside to get rid of the deer bones he had left on the spit outside. Kogenta's grandfather and the traveler went into the older man's room and shut the door.
 
Just outside of the teahouse Kogenta was taking apart the cooking area when his sensitive ears caught the murmurs of conversation.
 
“Why did you summon us?” the wayfarer's voice could be heard speaking in whispers
 
“Did you see what he was doing?” Riku's grandfather asked
 
“He was eating, so what?”
 
“He was feeling his teeth. He's starting to come of age.”
 
“Over one little gesture. You sound paranoid old friend.”
 
“Not just that; the tiger said that the child could lift him and outrun him. Just as foretold his human blood is running its course and soon…”
 
“If what you are saying is true then we may have to alert them.”
 
“I called you here because I wanted your advice about the white tiger.”
 
“He'd make a good bed toy or pet.” The man said with a jovial tone
 
Those words made Kogenta growl quietly. He flexed his claws and cracked his knuckles until each popped.
 
“This is not the time for games. If this creature is causing Riku to become aware of himself than what should I do?”
 
“Kill him.”
 
Kogenta felt his blood run cold at the casual voice that declaration was said in. If either of the two decided to try to claim his life he would spill blood. Even if he had to make Riku sad, but then again with the way these two were going on the samurai wasn't sure how much the oldest man really cared for the boy.
 
“You underestimate him and his powers. Even you must feel that he is much too strong to be a quick kill. Even still, I think the young one has grown too close to him for such a thing. I had hoped that isolation would keep him from getting attached to anyone but with my imprisonment days ago…”
 
“Speaking of that, who was it that had you kidnapped?”
 
“Probably that group. Those people still believe in the legend and want to see it come true.”
 
“Do you have any proof?”
 
“No, whoever it was they were smart enough to make sure there was no evidence of their involvement. But I'm sure that it had to be them, only they would go so far as too…”
 
“Hum, what is it?”
 
“Damn me. I think I understand now. The timing of the tiger and my imprisonment were to close together. They must have sent him here to try and…”
 
Whatever the older man said it was lost to even Kogenta's ears. Straining to hear the last bit of conversation the samurai couldn't make out anything more. Maybe they had caught onto his eavesdropping but it didn't matter he knew what had to be done. Kogenta had to somehow get Riku out of that house. Experience had taught the white tiger that when humans feared something they went to great lengths to destroy or seal it. If, just if, Riku was something supernatural and the two men where apart of a larger organization that was trying to keep him a secret and Kogenta had disturbed the flow of order…
 
“Kogenta!” the melodic voice of the young man called out
 
Maybe Riku was something supernatural because his timing was always impeccable. Turning to look at the young man the samurai gazed at the young man and really looked at him. How could someone so kind and innocent be a threat? Riku was just too pure to be someone who people should be afraid of.
 
“Oy, Riku! Help me get these bones out of here and take them to eh forest.” Kogenta ordered as he collected most of the deer's left over remains. Riku nodded and gathered the few pieces that were left and both walked off into the woods.
 
In a dense portion of trees and grass the white tiger dropped the load of bones he had been carrying and signaled for the brown haired boy to do the same. Scavengers would take what they could from the remains and the rest would decay with time back into the earth.
 
“Riku, you remember that you asked me to come back after I left from my journey, right?” Kogenta suddenly asked while looking into the sun lite sky
 
“Yes I did. What's wrong? Will you not be able to return from your quest?” the sorrow in the young man's tenor voice was as clear as the chiming of Kogenta's bell
 
“Why don't you come with me? You must get tired of staying here all the time. There's a lot to see, eat, smell, and feel away from these fields you live in.” the samurai said as he thought about everything he had seen and done in his lifetime
 
“Maybe, but I'd have to ask my grandfather first. I wouldn't want to just abandoned him.” walking up to his friend Riku looked him in the face and wondered
 
“Yeah, you can't just leave the old man behind but what if one day something should happen to him? What if he passed away one night? Would you stay here or leave?” the samurai wanted to know as he looked into violet eyes, searching for something hidden
 
“I never thought about it before. I always guessed that I would live here forever and run the teahouse until…well forever.” Riku pondered over the white and blue-stripped tiger's words while slowly wriggling
 
“I don't want to make you sad or anything but someday the old man will pass on. Maybe you should explore the world just a little bit to see what beyond the horizon. Who knows maybe you'll like it so much you'll decide to travel around like I do. I just want you to experience all the world has to offer…” the warrior said before turning away and mused to himself
 
`Cause who knows what will happen tomorrow.' the last part was thought quietly
 
“Well, maybe. I…I…” Riku was at a lost as what to do as he looked to Kogenta and then the ground while shuffling his feet
 
The white tiger saw the distress on the young man's mind and walked up and placed a clawed hand onto the boys developing shoulders. Feeling the muscles underneath his paw tense and then relaxed Kogenta stared at the brown haired boy and gazed deep into his eyes.
 
“Don't worry about it right now. I don't want to make you make a choice right now. Just think about it a while.” The white tiger patted the young man on his shoulder and then walked away towards the teahouse but kept his senses on the young one behind him.
 
Riku studied the forest floor before he heard the chime of Kogenta's bell and blinked. Looking around he saw that the samurai had gone ahead of him but was waiting just a yard away. Yelping just a bit Riku ran to the warrior and then both headed for the little house together side by side.
 
Returning to the teahouse Riku called out for his grandfather. When he didn't receive a respone from the aging man the boy ran into the house. Kogenta saw that the horses were gone and walked into the house hoping against hope that maybe…
 
“Riku what's going on?” Kogenta inquired as he saw the young man holding a piece of paper in his hands and glancing over it
 
“Grandfather left me a note saying that he was heading to the capital and would be back in a couple a days.” the brown haired teen replied as he looked over the left behind letter
 
Kogenta walked up behind the young man and read over his shoulder what was written down.
 
Riku,
 
Forgive me for not being here when you return but my presence is needed at the capital. I am leaving with the traveler and will return in a few days. Take care of the teahouse and wait for my return.
 
Sincerely
 
Grandfather
 
Kogenta felt sick to his stomach at what he had read and just how much of a hold the old man placed over Riku. The note made it seem as if he was just going to be gone a few days on the run of the mill outing. The samurai understood now how the older man could fool the naive Riku; if he made it seem unimportant like he was just going to go out for a while Riku would never think twice at his leaving. Who really knew what he actually did when he departed and left the young man to his own devices. What was worse was the fact that…
 
“Riku does your grandfather leave you by yourself often?” the white tiger had a dreadful feeling that he knew the answer to that question and prayed he would be wrong
 
“Sometimes but it doesn't bother me.” Riku folded the piece of paper and put it up inside of his room
 
`He's just a kid alone and defenseless. Is that old man really a fool to just go off without thinking about what may happen to the brown haired boy? Someone could come here and raid the place and kill the kid, especially since their bandits not more than a mile away from here or even worse they could…' Kogenta shook his head and made a promise to himself. He would stay until Riku's grandfather returned and then he would confront the old man to get some answers from him.
 
Nodding to himself Kogenta looked for Riku to return and then he would have a talk with the boy.