Onmyou Taisenki Fan Fiction ❯ Onmyou Taisenki: The Passing Seasons of Life ❯ Onmyou Taisenki: Summer Fesitval ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Kogenta panted and snarled as he looked about the land around him. A heat wave had hit the area of Japan that he and Riku lived in this month and the tiger shikigami was less than pleased. The blue and white fur on Kogenta's body was sweating and his tail was stuck to the roof of the apartment building. It had seemed like a good idea to come outside in the early morning and sunbathe but as the day dragged on and the heat rose higher and higher Kogenta was feeling like crap.
 
The tiger shikigami sighed and jumped from the roof to land on the hot asphalt. The heat that had accumulated burned his bare feet and Kogenta roared from the pain. The force of his wail sent birds from the trees and even some people looked up to see where the noise had come from. Cursing, Kogenta jumped back to the roof and put on his sandals before hopping back down to the walkway. The tiger shikigami turned and looked back to the house and then to the walkway that was covered in debris. Kogenta was supposed to clean up for Riku while the young man was away at work but being who he was…
 
“Damn it. When's he coming back? This sucks.” Kogenta gripped as he looked for the broom to begin his work.
 
It had been twelve years now since the adventure everyone had shared ended and life seemed to be on hold. The days had passed lazily by and soon a decade plus had passed and then in a flash everything changed. Old friends grew up, moved on with life while some even started families of their own. Some had become business tycoons and others just settled down to regular lifestyles. The good part was that everyone was happy and could look back and smile at the time they shared and the memories they had made, wasn't that what life was about?
 
Whoever thought that Yuuma would become a family man but maybe it had something to do with that dark haired girl. Mizuki seemed tough enough to keep the red headed Chi-ryuu in line and soon a new addition was added to the Asuma family. A little girl with bright hair red and soft gray eyes that seemed to spark when she looked at something important. Four years old and she already had her father's personality; stubborn and hot headed but gentle and protective. She would be a sweet young girl when she grew up and the pride could always be seen in Yuumm's eyes whenever he thought about it was almost embarrassing to watch.
 
Little Souma had grown up and he had been elated when he found out that he would be an uncle and even while the business tycoon was running the Chi-ryuu headquarters he found time to baby sit. His shikigami was always by his side keeping Souma in line and the two had changed the Chi-ryuu into a clan that Yumma's little girl could be proud of. Souma was still pursuing Nazuna and the young priestess had still rejected his advances, a broom to the head seemed to be her answer every time Souma tried to woo her. It was more that she wished to stay friends with the young man but Souma just thought she was playing hard to get.
 
Nazuna had grown up into a beautiful young woman and she now had many people to help her run her temple. Often times she and her shikigami were alone but not before friends came around to drive away the quietness of the temple grounds. It always turned out to be an interesting event when Riku and the others stopped around and very noisy as well. Though Nazuna complained the temple priestess enjoyed every moment she and her friends shared together, her broom still in hand to smack someone who got out of line (i.e. Souma) across the head.
 
So many faces had changed and grown up and all the while some things never seemed to change. Kogenta fought not to laugh as he remembered the times everyone had shared with each other, the pain and heartache they suffered through, triumphant they achieved and joys they shared as the tiger shikigami swept the walkway. The heat didn't seem as oppressive as Kogenta thought about the Toujinshi and the shikigami he had met and befriended years ago and it was all thanks to one brown haired and violet eyed human. The human he had made a contract with and had bonded with on a level not many could understand. The human man who he loved more than life itself…Riku Tachibani.
 
Kogenta looked to the clear azure sky as he thought back on the relationship he shared with Riku and it made the white tiger spirit smile genuinely. The boy had been scared and unprepared for the adversities he would have to face when he contracted Kogenta of the Byakko. Riku had been inexperienced and far from any kind Toujinshi that Kogenta had ever met before but with time the young man became worthy of the title `Head of the Ten-Ryuu'. The battles were long and hard but somehow the two partners had come out alive in the end.
 
A long time ago, it seemed, Kogenta would have said that it had been the `Ins' that had saved them but time had taught him that what had saved this world was bond between humans and nature. The bonds humans shared with nature and how those bonds had worked to save this world. The power of human will to face all adversities and never back down in the face of danger and the power of the shikigmai to strengthen the human spirit. The bond human and nature sharing had risen up and fought back to protect this world and remind everyone that as long as they stood together, nothing would destroy this world. Kogenta couldn't be arrogant enough to just say it was all because of the `Ins', not know when he understood the strength of humans. The strength to protect and cherish that was around them. The will to fight even when they were afraid, hurt, desperate, weak and uncertain.
 
Kogenta laughed to himself as he thought about what he would have done if someone had said that to him a decade ago. As the tiger shikigami finished cleaning up he headed inside the cool apartment and looked at the nearby clock. It was going to be an hour before Riku came home from work and Kogenta wanted to try his hand a cooking. Twelve years of living with a human and Kogenta picked up on the little things that made human life easier; a cooked dinner, a clean home, a gentle smile from someone they cared for and best of all…
 
“A little love.” Kogenta said as he started to prepare the kitchen for a home cooked meal
 
Forty minutes later Kogenta was done and soon he heard the voice he loved most of all.
 
“Kogenta, I'm home.” a deep, masculine voice rang out filling the tiger shikigami's body with electricity
 
Kogenta placed the food on a plate and stepped from the kitchen before setting the food down. The blue and white-stripped shikigami looked at the person who he had watched grow into a young man and soon the tiger shikigami couldn't help but tackle the brown haired man to the ground. While Riku had grown into a man with striking features Kogenta had stayed the same and he had to remember not to used too much of his strength on his human. But sometimes it hard to just not bum rush Riku and shower him in all of the love Kogenta had in his heart and soul.
 
After Kogenta had pounced on his human he started to purr and rub against Riku making the young man very warm in certain areas. Riku had to fight not to give into the tiger shikigami's advances, not because he didn't want to but because he was dirty from the days work. Riku wanted to eat, bathe, and then he and his best friend could express their joy and love for each other on a more comfortable surface. Riku rubbed Kogenta on his furry head and listened to the rhythmic purr that always came from the tiger shikigami before let out his own musical laughter.
 
Once Kogenta got up off of Riku he took the young man's bag before he set it aside and then the white tiger ushered Riku to the food on the table. It was a simple vegetable and meat plate that he could make without burning the place down. The memories of last time the Byakko spirit had tried to make something more difficult haunted him, but even then Riku wasn't upset at him and just cleaned up the mess, put out the fire, and hugged Kogenta. As Kogenta watched Riku eat he thought about how lucky he was to have such a human as he did. The white tiger spirit looked at the brown haired human he loved with all of his heart and just purred silently while thanking the stars above for giving him such a caring human partner.
 
Once Riku had finished he thanked Kogenta and gave the tiger shikigami a warm smile and hug before taking his plate and washing it in the kitchen. Finished with the dish Riku walked to the bathroom and nodded to Kogenta to join him. Kogenta grinned and undressed himself before he watched Riku undress and start the bath. When the water had filled and was at the right temperature Riku got into the tub and reached out his hand for his best friend. Kogenta took the offered hand and then stepped into the steaming water and settled down on Riku's lap. This was one of the favorite areas for both spirit and human to share passion and love with each other but not this time.
 
No ecstasy was made as the two just enjoyed the close feeling of each other's body as they soaked in the warmth of the water and the heat of each other. Time seemed to stand at a halt as the two friends sat in the cooling water and relaxed with each other. It was almost thirty minutes later when Kogenta heard Riku give a small sneeze and then he began to wash his human, couldn't have him catch a cold, especially not this weekend. Riku moaned as he felt Kogenta put so much care and effort into cleaning the dirt and grimy feeling from his body the violet eyed man had accumulated from the outside world.
 
Once Riku was clean the young man began to caress Kogenta with a special cat brush he had bought years ago. When Riku had first bought the thing Kogenta was so mad he cussed a storm but at the feeling of the bristles on the brush massaging his fur the tiger shikigami couldn't help himself when purrs left his throat. Even now as Riku brushed across Kogenta's coat and rid him of the sweat the tiger shikigami had gathered from his work outside and the tiger shikigami felt as if he was melting. The brush moved all across Kogenta's body and soon the tiger shikigami was a relaxed bundle within Riku's arms.
 
Once Riku had brushed every part of his best friend he drained the tub and carried Kogenta out of the bathroom to their futon. Beside the futon sat a handheld air dryer and two large towels. Riku turned on the blow dryer and started to air dry Kogenta who was half way asleep and the man had to stop from petting the white and blue shikigami on the stomach like he would a giant cat. Riku thought back and laughed at the scars he had received for that stunt years ago and the young man knew better than to try that again, no matter how asleep Kogenta looked. Finished with his task Riku got the towel and dried off the last of the moisture on the tiger shikigami's body before setting the sleeping Kogenta on the bed. Riku watched as Kogenta curled up to sleep and then bent to give him a small chaste kiss before drying off himself.
 
Fully dry Riku snuggled into bed next to Kogenta and pulled the white tiger spirit into his embrace and soon he too drifted off to sleep. Throughout the night Riku held Kogenta in a possessive hold and nuzzled his face into the tiger shikigami's body. Kogenta, still asleep, reciprocated the gesture and intertwined his legs with the young man's, unconsciously aware of his claws. In the darkness of night with the nearly full moon out, time stood still and waited, unable to disturb the beauty of two spirits shimmering harmoniously together in a vast sea of souls.
 
When the night gave way to morning's light, the day found Kogenta on top of Riku and purring into the boy's ears. Riku opened his eyes slowly and came face to face with a sleepy eyed Kogenta who was currently sprawled over his body and giving him a gentle smile. The two best friends gazed into each other's eyes and then shared a passionate kiss full of loved and admiration for each other. The joining of human lips to feline was always interesting but with so much practice and love between both of them nothing weird could be felt between Riku and Kogenta.
 
Kogenta and Riku shared a few moments of silent passion between each other before they released each other and started to get ready for the day. Today would be special, well it was always special when two who loved each other could share time with each other, but this day was even more special because it was that day.
 
Preparations for this day had been made throughout the week but Kogenta and Riku made last minute checks just to be sure they had forgotten nothing. It was the middle of the afternoon before either was ready to leave and when Kogenta and Riku were finally settled they left the house and headed for the bus station. Arriving at the station Riku took out a piece of paper that he had and re-read the directions before he nodded and showed them to the floating form of Kogenta. The tiger shikigami smirked and then they set off for the train they needed to take them to their destination.
 
Hours later found Riku and Kogenta outside of a small area looking out over the sea. The light from the sun setting into the horizon turned the water a bright crimson shade and looked magnificent to both tiger shikigami and human. Riku smiled at Kogenta and then the young man set off for the hotel in the distance. Once at the hotel Riku paid for his room and then set out to find the person in charge for the nights celebration. The man he needed was waiting for him by his room and soon both he and Riku were discussing the plans for this evening. Once everything was set up Riku retired to his room before he summoned Kogenta.
 
The tiger shikigami smirked as he and Riku dressed for the night's festivities. Riku chose to wear a traditional ceremonial garb and the brown haired man helped Kogenta to dress in one. Riku's kimono had the picture of a roaring tiger facing the sun while Kogenta had the sun setting into the earth drawn onto his. It was something to see with Kogenta's tail sticking out from his robe and the golden bell innocently chiming but once he was dress the tiger shikigami looked fantastic. Riku and Kogenta looked at each other over and then smiled before they set out for the beach.
 
Outside on the shimmering sands, Riku and Kogenta looked for a familiar face and were waved over by Yuuma and Rangetsu. Everyone was over by a large bonfire and as soon as the sun set the party began. Across the starry skies rained explosions of color and blasts of light that danced over the surface of the black sea. A large fire was set a flame and then music was played and the group of Toujinshi and shikigami started dancing. Kogenta and Riku danced to the music with only each other and the rest of the party had a lot of fun watching both the brown haired man and white tiger spirit enter their own world.
 
This was the twelve-year anniversary of the day the world was saved and everyone had come together to rejoice. Yuuma, Souma, Nazuna, and so many others along with their shikigami had come to have fun today and it was a heart-warming sight to see each and everyone laughing, dancing, singing and being together. It was times like these that reminded everyone of what they could have lost and reinforced the fact that life was a precious and gentle thing. It could become so easy to take for granted the little things and sometimes you had to stop and just enjoy what you have. Maybe a child with magical powers wouldn't come and try to destroy all humans in the world but one could easily lose sight of the little things that were important and the world could again fall into destruction from carelessness and foolishness.
 
Dancing to the music and looking up at the bursting lights across the sky everyone, be they shikigami or human, stopped and cherished what they had. Friends, family, partners and loves, they all had something to protect and make sure that the world was loved and cared for, if only for the next generation. The smiles on that evening were those that couldn't ever be forgotten because there, that night and many more to come, were filled with joy and laughter that money couldn't buy and hate couldn't destroy.
 
The party lasted until the long hours of the night and then the last fire works were set off and they showed the names of the heroes who had saved the world and one last name for the child who had loved this world more than any could ever know. Kogenta, Riku, Yuuma, Rangetsu, Masaomi, Kibachiyo, and Utsuho. The six who risked everything to save this world and had reminded people that the bond between this planet and humans could not easily be broken. The last the name of the child who risked everything he was to love and care for this world. These were the ones who time would never forget and life would always remember.
 
Once the festivities ended everyone returned to their rooms except for Riku and Kogenta. The two stayed outside and watched as the moon rose all the way into the starry sky and then fell back to the darkened land. Kogenta reached out to wrap Riku into his embrace and curl his long and fluffy tail around his human's waist. They stayed like that far into the night and dawn found them together resting in each other's hold.
 
A cool morning breeze and Kogenta hugging him tighter into his chest awakened Riku. The young man looked up and saw the light of the morning shining onto Kogenta and Riku felt like he was in the arms of an angel. This is where he wanted to be thought Riku, right here. Once the chill of the air caused Riku to shiver Kogenta hauled the young man from the ground and then returned to the hotel. Without knowing it, somewhere a young man was watching them walk into the massive hotel and right beside him stood his dragon shikigami. The two of them watched before an angry young woman yelled out and caused both of them to flinch and then turn away, only to get chewed out and then punished.