Original Stories Fan Fiction / Realism Fan Fiction ❯ 13th Floor ❯ We All Have Issues ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“I'm gonna freakin' kill someone. Crap,” muttered a seething Maria under her breath in that unmistakable New York Italian accent as she drove to a parent teacher conference when she was undeniably childless. She slammed down on her brakes hard, bringing her 2009 Prius to a sudden halt, nearly rear-ending the 1983 CJ-7 Jeep in front of her. Of course, only her fragile Prius would've been damaged. “Double crap,” uttered Maria as she banged her head against the wheel, accidentally honking at innocent drivers, earning her several impolite hand gestures. It was New York City after all.
In the back seat, a young 8th grade girl was tremendously amused at her older sister's antics. Although as the car ride came closer to an end, and the urge to tease her sister increased, Linda didn't dare. Even if Maria was being completely ridiculous, Linda thought that she was still an absolutely wonderful substitute mother. Maria honked her horn, screaming a string of profanities at the pick-up truck that didn't seem to want to turn, no matter what color the stoplight. Linda noted to forget about wonderful.
Linda was a smart girl. Her grades were not the problem. She was an excellent student, but she had violent tendencies. We all have issues.
Several hours, arguments, and obscene gestures later, Maria was finally home. For approximately seventy-eight seconds. Just enough time for her to grab a sweater, reapply some lipstick, and quickly use the little girl's room. Next stop - the hospital, where her sickly mother lied, awaiting her appearance. She didn't stop. She was a fire-cracker. She was everything - a friend, a sister, a mother, a care-taker, a cook - yet, at the same time, she was nothing. She was an empty shell fulfilling her duties. No passion. A fire-cracker without the heat was a more accurate description of her.
Just as she was stepping out the door, her black and white striped tabby cat, Pizza - whatever possessed her to name her cat Pizza, she didn't know - softly began purring as he rubbed himself against her legs, expertly maneuvering himself in between her feet. She succumbed for a moment to the feeling of the kitten's warmth and velvety fur against her cold skin. Pizza knew just what he wanted, and he was going to get it. Maria almost caved into giving him the chicken flavored cat snacks she just bought, but upon recalling her obligation to her mother, she slipped out her door.
Linda had told her once that she was the most beautiful girl she knew. If not for that, Maria would've started smoking a long time ago. And drinking. And binge eating. And no, a few Godiva chocolates and McDonald's Big Macs every few days did not count. It's just comfort food. It wasn't the whole it-kills-you thing that bothered Maria about drugs and all that other junk. It was what it did to your face. You aged so much more quickly, you were more at risk for obesity, and you always looked so tired. Maria wouldn't dare let Linda down.
When Maria, finally slept, she dreamed of a family. A family with a man that she had chosen herself - not another set-up. A family where the members did things for her. A family where she did things for the members because she wanted to, and it wasn't because she was obliged to. That would be her family someday.