Original Stories Fan Fiction / Realism Fan Fiction ❯ When Dreams Fade ❯ Someone who understands ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: After a day-long break…here we go.
 
 
When Dreams Fade
-
Chapter 8
-
© 2006 Ohne Sie
-
 
 
 
Nikolas and I spent the rest of the day at my sister's apartment, because we were in no hurry to go to either of our houses. Also, my sister is actually one of the coolest people I know. She read the newspaper and everything, but she believed, like Mr. Dran, that Hana was being unfairly portrayed. Then again, she always believed that people were unfairly portrayed.
 
So about an hour after leaving the coffee shop, Nikolas and I found ourselves sitting on the couch in Alyssa's apartment, drinking tea. We had just had tea, at the coffee shop, but I knew better than to refuse Alyssa's hospitality. She's kind of scary sometimes.
 
“I can't say I've ever been in your position,” Alyssa said, interrupting me from my thoughts. “I've never had a friend directly affected by outright lies like this…not extreme lies, anyway, that could cause her death.” She took a sip of her tea and then rested her head in her hands, resting her elbows on the knees she brought up to rest on the seat of the recliner in which she was sitting. “So tell me, what really happened?”
 
Nikolas explained as best as he could what had happened, before I could say anything. Alyssa nodded and stared intently at him as he continued his story. When he was done, she frowned. “That's…strange,” she said finally. “Did Hana get a lawyer?” she asked.
 
“I don't know,” I told her. “We haven't been able to see or talk to her,” I explained.
 
“I doubt it,” Nikolas added. “Not a good one, anyway. Her parents don't really care about her, apparently.”
 
Alyssa frowned again and nodded. “Well,” she started slowly, “I have a friend who is a lawyer. He might be willing to help.” She took out her cell phone and began to punch in numbers. Then she held it to her ear. “James? Hi, it's Alyssa. How would you like to do something very nice for my sister and her friends?” There was a pause. Alyssa laughed. “Yeah, actually. How did you know?” She waited again. “Thanks, James. I'll meet you later, okay?” Then she hung up.
 
“Is he going to do it?” I asked hopefully, leaning forward in my seat.
 
Alyssa nodded. “He said he will. He already read about her in the paper and was intrigued when I called, apparently. He's a good guy, Alana,” she said, probably noting the worried look on my face. “And he's a good lawyer, too. Probably better than any her parents would hire, if they cared.” She smiled.
 
“Thanks, Alyssa,” I said quietly. “This means a lot to me…and to Hana.”
 
“Hey, you're my sister.” Alyssa smiled again. “Also, I love helping people. I like that warm, fuzzy feeling, don't you?” She leaned back in the recliner and closed her eyes. Then she opened one eye and studied me for a minute. “Alana, do you still walk in graveyards at night?” she asked suddenly.
 
What a weird question. I stared at her. “Huh?”
 
“You know. When I still lived at home, you used to sneak out at night and go to the cemetery. Do you still do that?”
 
“Sometimes,” I admitted. “When our parents get too…too…I don't know.”
 
Alyssa nodded. “I wanted to go with you a few times, but I thought about it and realized you probably wanted to be alone.” She smiled sadly. “Mom and Dad knew about it, too. It scared them, I think. Especially since you had no friends.” She sighed. “And then you got friends, and I guess they…assumed that your friends were getting you into bad things. Let me guess.” She looked at the ground. “They think that Hana is as bad as the papers say.”
 
I nodded. Tears were forming in my eyes and I brushed them away. I had completely forgotten about Nikolas until he took the hand that wiped away the tears. “She'll be okay,” Nikolas told me. “And your parents are wrong for judging you. I'd say they just want what is best for you, but…” He sighed. “I think they're wrong about what is best. I think,” he said, “That we are best for you. Hana, Erik, and myself. I think we all need each other.” He smiled as I looked at him. “You're happy when you're with us, right? I remember the way you looked before we met in ninth grade. You always looked so depressed all the time. And you were always alone. Erik and I wanted to talk to you, but we were…afraid.” He frowned. “I don't know why. And Hana…I don't know. She was always surrounded by people, she was always acting so happy, so carefree, but she seemed sad, too, for some reason. You were her first real friend. And I think she was your first friend, right?” I nodded. “So…this must be painful for you both…more than it is for me, anyway. But…”
 
“It's okay, Niko. I understand. This is painful for all of us. And thank you. I love you, too.” I sighed and looked at Alyssa. “Did Mom and Dad hate your friends for no reason, too?” I asked.
 
Alyssa laughed. “I wouldn't say it was for no reason,” she admitted. “But yes, they did.”
 
I think Nikolas realized then that he was still holding my hand. He dropped it suddenly and looked at the floor. “I wonder how Erik's doing,” he mumbled.
 
I nodded. “When he gets out of the hospital, where is he going to go?” I asked.
 
Nikolas shook his head, as if to say, “I wish I knew.”