Original Stories Fan Fiction / Realism Fan Fiction ❯ When Dreams Fade ❯ Like a candle... ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: I made myself sad writing this…so beware. Then again, I'm overly emotional.
 
 
When Dreams Fade
-
Chapter Nine
-
© 2006 Ohne Sie
-
 
 
 
As it turned out, we didn't have to worry for too long. Alyssa almost instantly decided that as soon as Erik was released from the hospital, he would move in with her. She had two bedrooms in her apartment, one of which was unoccupied, and she kind of wanted a roommate anyway.
 
“The thing is,” Alyssa explained to Erik the next day, when we went to pick him up from the hospital, “I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me out a little. You know, with paying for groceries? I don't expect much, really. Just paying for half of our grocery bills is good. I'll cover the bills. You're going to need to save your money, after all. We'll consider the money you spend on groceries to be your rent. Okay?”
 
Erik nodded, speechless. Nikolas was shocked, as well, but I was not so surprised. I was a bit surprised that Alyssa could afford that, but she assured me that the money she had was acquired legally.
 
“Believe me,” she said, “I have much more money than you think.” She smiled at Erik, who was staring at her, dumbfounded. “Relax, kid. I'm harmless, really, and I'm not going to ask for anything in return. And, so you know, I don't do drugs. So chill.” She looked at me. “Your friend's bail…how much is it?”
 
“Um…one hundred thousand,” I said. “But her parents won't pay…”
 
Alyssa nodded. “I'll see what I can do.” She walked out of the room for a moment. Nikolas, Erik, and I looked at each other, puzzled.
 
“Uh…what's going on?” Nikolas asked. I shrugged.
 
“Alyssa's crazy,” I said simply. “And awesome. But mostly crazy.”
 
“How is she making money? Does she have a job?” Nikolas asked.
 
“I really don't know what she does,” I admitted.
 
Alyssa walked in at that time, smiling. “James said that he will talk to Hana's parents. He's going to ask them to post bail.”
 
“They won't,” Nikolas told her.
 
“James is very convincing. Especially when he has leverage. You know…like money? A hundred thousand to pay for Hana's bail, a couple hundred to her parents to take her in for a while…they'll agree.”
 
“Hana's lawyer is paying that much?” Erik asked, wide-eyed.
 
Alyssa frowned. “No. I am.” She smiled. The door opened and Mr. Dran walked in. He nodded at Alyssa and walked over to Erik.
 
“How are you doing?” he asked.
 
Erik looked at us questioningly, as if to ask, “Is he one of them?” Nikolas and I shook our heads.
 
“He's safe,” I said, nodding toward Mr. Dran.
 
“Thanks,” Mr. Dran said, laughing. He looked at Alyssa. “I left right after James got there. You're still friends?”
 
Alyssa nodded. “Yeah. He's my best friend. I haven't seen you in a while.” She smiled. “How have you been?”
 
“I've been fine. I'm teaching choir now, if you didn't know.”
 
“I knew. Alana told me.” Alyssa laughed at my confused expression. “What, you didn't know Amon and I went to school together?” she asked. “We were best friends in high school.”
 
“We went out for a while,” Mr. Dran added, smiling. Alyssa laughed again.
 
“Yeah, for a little while.”
 
Nikolas cleared his throat. Alyssa and Mr. Dran looked at him.
 
“Sorry, but, uh…I was curious…” He looked at Mr. Dran. “How is Hana?”
 
Mr. Dran frowned. “I don't want to say…let's just say that I hope she gets out of there soon. Hana doesn't belong in prison.”
 
“She will be out, Amon,” Alyssa told him. “James will make sure of it.”
 
 
-
 
 
Somehow, James apparently convinced Hana's parents to not only bail her out of jail, but also to take her in until the trial. I'm sure the money helped considerably in their decision, but I'm not sure that Hana ever knew why her parents changed their minds. I never had the heart to tell her. Hana was basically under house arrest. She couldn't go anywhere or do anything without someone watching her at all times. Her friends were, for the most part, forbidden by her parents to see her. Our parents forbade it, as well. However, we still managed to sneak a few visits.
 
Hana was not well. She looked like she hadn't slept in ages, and she wasn't her usual bubbly self. She was…mellow. Every so often one of us said something to make her laugh, and a tiny sliver of Hana was visible, but the spark...that brilliant sparkle of life that was once my best friend…was gone.