Original Stories Fan Fiction / Role Playing Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ The Damned ❯ Chapter 2

[ A - All Readers ]

 
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter 2:
Welcome
 
 
A/N: Next chappie everyone!!!
I hope you enjoy!!
 
 
 
 
The room was like a cage with white walls that had odd markings in different colors on them. The ceiling was high and had several dangling lights above.
Rae sat up, her head throbbing, her brain feeling as though it would combust in any moment.
Her mouth opened and she placed a hand to her forehead and gave a soft cry, but then her palm slid to the back of her neck where a slicing cold pain entered, her back arched and she hissed, falling back.
"The sedative has yet to wear out," the man looked to her and smirked a little, "You won't be quite the same for a while I'm afraid."
"Where," she grunted and clenched her teeth, "Where am I?"
"I thought I all ready told you..." He trailed off when her glare all most sliced him in two.
"Well, I can't really say, it isn't my authority to do so."
Rae squeezed her eyes shut, "I can not believe this..." When trying to raise her leg, she whimpered at the pain and tightness of a bandage at the back of her bare knee. Another thing she discovered was that she was in a cloth gown that stopped an inch above her knee.
Wonderful.
"Stab Wound, took care of it before any termites found there way in and feasted on the splinters," he grinned down at her, finding she wasn't at all coddled by his stupid jokes that were really not even called for.
"What am I to do? Why the frick am I here? And Ian! Where is he?" She looked to the..."doctor", and sat up, her hair came forward in messy tangles, obviously having been haled over here no doubt, and she could feel the bruises and cuts on her body come to life.
"Ian, yes, he is currently out, doing some...business, but he did tell me to tell you he'd be back any moment and will see you as soon as he can." He smiled again, the dimples coming back, lighting up his caramel face.
Letting the silence pass she asked, "Who are you?"
"James," he answered, "I'm...apart of this whole thing."
Her eyes flamed into green, her body rising and stiffening she turned her body suddenly and jumped off, her voice raspy as she spat out, "You brought me here? You've been the one who's followed me? Was it you who shot me up with that stuff? Or was it your friend?!" Her hand waved to the corner, now fully acknowledging the man who leant back in the corner, his arms folded across his chest with one leg against the wall as the other held him there.
His head snapped up whenever he was referred to, his wide eyes shifted from her to James who had whirled around, and then he looked back to Rae.
"Y-You can see me?" He asked, pushing off of the wall and walking towards her, his golden eyes stayed locked on her. Brown, sun streaked hair was on his head which was in a simple shaggy style, he was tall, the same height as James and had a slim figure, his black clothes contrasting with James' white lab coat.
"Of course I can you're right there!" She gasped suddenly, "Ow, ow, ow." She gulped and eased her self to the floor, the bed being too far away for her; she sat Indian-style, her head in her hands and breathed in pained whines.
"I...you weren't supposed to. No regular humans can see me, it's common fact, I..." he turned to James and said in an urgent whisper, "You haven't injected her yet have you?"
"No! I can't without her consent, you know that!" James paused and glanced to Rae who was now looking at them from under her canopy of hair and her long bangs.
For a moment they all carried on a circle of looks, before the man with the brown hair shook his head and said, "Keep her in here for now, hm?"
"Until I'm told other wise," James replied, running his hands back through his wavy black hair he mustered a small smile for Rae who was now pushing herself up to her feet, wincing at the pain in her leg.
"Look," Rae hopped onto the bed, "I have no idea what's going on. I'm hurting, hungry, cold, angry, and I'm really not in the mood for your little clique secrets and whispers, so if you don't mind, either leave or say it in front of my face."
Blinking, the one with the golden eyes smirked and said, "I apologize, it's just, it's very odd for a regular person as you to be able to see me when I voluntarily hid myself with my abilities. I mean, it's not normal, not right."
"Well then, seems like you're a person who over estimates himself, huh?" Rae pulled her knees to her chest, turning to the side so they couldn't see straight up her gown, that wouldn't be too great.
"Or maybe we just underestimated you." Stroking his chin whe walked forward and then said, "My name is Miguel, pleasure to meet you...Rae." He nodded and turned, walking from the room through the sliding door that whistled open and closed.
Looking forward, Rae settled her chin on her knee, staying in the same position, hearing the shuffling of James' feet he then said, "Well, I'll be back in a moment, all right? E-Excuse me."
Once he was gone, Rae was curled up like a fetus only she was sitting up.
Her nails dug into the skin of her legs, her body shaking as tears slipped down her cheeks, the idea of being stabbed, shot up with poison, finding out her brother was alive and apart of the plan somehow, and was in a place where people thought of her as...weird or special and being sacrificed, it all came too overwhelming.
Four years ago she remembered the night, it was the day of her sixteenth birthday, a day that had her having a small celebration with just her and her brother, a cake, that had her name spelled out in blue icing, only as "Rachelle", considering it was a throwback cake which was for cheap.
She took it happily.
It was a night she couldn't forget, no matter how meager it was, the details stood out. All he said to her in the moment, thing was, he was her half brother.
He was completely Mexican, she was only half.
Their father was a man who took risks and worked like a mad man, or so they thought. The money that was made was wasted away over night, leaving the two of them alone in the house with no food.
Her brother was the one who made an effort to make her happy.
Ian was the one male she could actually count on.
And so, when it came to be 11:30, everything came shattering down in ten minutes.
At first, it was just a tap, a small knock on the window of their apartment that was right behind her bed. It didn't wake her from her sleep.
But the thing that did rouse her was the sudden feeling of sharp glass that came raining down in shining pieces.
She had only peaked open one eye, but opened them both in a quick second and let out a shrill cry, a hand being slapped over her mouth.
The next was a blur, she was being dragged through the halls and incoherent shouts were echoing off the walls, she heard the noise from her brother's room.
And then, with a shout and stumbling thumps that ended in a slam, the door came smacking down with Ian on top of it, groaning in pain.
Five men had come; all were dressed in black clothes and black dusters that were fit over their broad shoulders like armor.
Being held down to her knees, Rae watched with horror as they beat up Ian, his screams landing on deaf ears from all around, save for her.
Each word was clear and cut through.
Random shouts of "I love you", "Get out", "Don't touch her", and "I will kill you if you mess with her" was all in one big ball that was heading to her like a speeding boulder, knocking her down as they knocked him down.
It was unbearable and by the end of it all she was a bumbling mess, crumpled on the floor and hearing the man behind her snap, "We'll come back for you later," he paused and gave a swift kick to her mid drift, making her gasp and curl up.
By the end of that month, she was nothing but a shell of a person.
The feeling of her heart being ripped out, stomped on, spit upon and lit on fire was the sensations running through her body. Every day, it got a little duller, turning into a numbness that was cold and hard.
The smiles were rare, the laughs silent, and the ever so optimistic mood was now faded into oblivion.
Now, however, all the feelings came rushing back in one big surprising torrent.
A shower of it came over her, drowning her, making it hard for her to breath right, her entire body was shaking and soft sobs left her as the realization dawned on her.
Ian was alive, she didn't know how much, if whether or not his soul and heart was the same, but all she could do was hope and pray.
She just wanted to see him, to really see him and hug him and let it all seep in, for just a moment.
Hugs were dwindling down these days, for her anyways.
She needed to let her heart be connected to another's, even if just for a minute right before he lashed out and stabbed her or something.
Rae didn't hear the sliding of the door, or the steps that were heavy and thick, she did notice, however, that a shadow had slinked over her body from behind.
Her knees slid out straight in front of her and she turned her head and then her entire body.
In front of her was a woman, her hazel eyes stared at Rae dully before she said, "Come with me."
"W-Where?"
"Your room," when Rae stood she added, "To get you clothed and to change your bandage."
"In my room? But I thought-"
"This isn't exactly an emergency room," the woman jumped in smoothly, turning, her long legs glided her through the place, her shoulder length black hair giving gentle bounces as she walked.
"Oh," Rae started after her but paused when her leg locked up in pain and she hissed suddenly, and yelped when two sticks were flung at her, instinctively, her hands rose up and caught them, within one swift movement she placed them under her arms and starting to hobble to the door.
The woman paused and eyed her in a way of saying how unbelievably unhappy she was to be with her.
"What is your name?" Rae asked, her crutches wobbling a bit from her exhaustion, the whirlwind of emotions were raging through her at an incredible speed.
"...Cyn," the dark Sienna brown woman walked on, leading the younger woman through the halls that looked like something right out of a Futuristic movie.
Turning down one corner, they came to a room numbered 56, the doors slid open and Rae had to hurry to get through before they closed.
Once inside, she found it was very spacious...and dark.
As if reading her mind, Cyn said, "Lights on." And the yellow glow was spilled onto the room, the dark blue carpet now truly visible as the light blue, metal like walls were shown. In the middle against the top wall, a large round bed was placed their, its sheets looking heavy but comfortable.
Struggling to get there, Rae collapsed to the bed in a heavy sigh and looked to Cyn who stared back with no sort of expression what so ever, before she said, "Your bandage." Her long elegant fingers moved up, motioning for Rae's Wounded Knee to straighten out, which she did.
Walking over, she got to her knees and undid the wrappings, Rae watched as she reached under the bed and pulled out a clear box and opened it.
Inside were all sorts of ointments and prescript drugs, along with little knives and scissors and a wad of cloth which was rolled up and used for situations like hers.
Getting a long silver tube, Cyn squirted out a quarter sized drop of the clear gel, and without warning went forward and rubbed it in to Rae's wound.
A sharp intake of breath left Rae, leaving her eyes watering and her mouth wide, grasping to come back down as the pain shot her up into the air as if she were sitting on a geyser.
"Oh, ya, it hurts a little."
"Nah dip," Rae grunted, her eyes closing as Cyn began to dress her wound.
"Man I swear to God, if I ever find out who did this, I'm going to kill him! That little son of a motha, I swear, oww."
"Shut up," Cyn said blandly and looked up to her, "You're just making it worse."
Getting to her feet, Cyn pointed to a wardrobe that was a metallic blue.
"There's clothes in there, help yourself."
"What happened to my other clothes?" Rae asked, biting her lower lip.
Shrugging, Cyn answered, "They were dirty...and plus, they weren't really clothes." Waving her off she said, "We guess within your size, there's four different sizes though just in case, enjoy." Walking out, Rae watched her back until the door closed and she was left alone.
Looking down to her leg, she sighed and rubbed the front of her knee where it was taped up before she got to her feet and walked to the wardrobe.
Opening it up and being at a loss for an outfit for half an hour, she finally decided on a pair of jeans and a white tank, taking off the gown and putting them on, she headed back to the bed and sat there.
For a while she was lost in her thoughts, her mind swirling with the day's events, with all events actually, until a knock threw her off.
Her heart began to thump at thought of Ian coming in and when she shouted for the person to come, the door slid open, and showed instead, Miguel.
"Well, looks like you've gotten situated," the extra wave of light was cut off as the door closed, leaving the two in a dimmed silence.
"Ya, looks like I have," Rae said, biting her lower lip she then said, "Hey, have you seen Ian? Don't tell me he's still out doing something."
"Haven't seen him yet," Miguel walked towards her and set at the foot of her bed. "Sorry," he smiled a little, showing his pearly white teeth.
"So, Rae,” clearing his throat he went on, "Just to go ahead and let you in. Ian is a little different, not in his love towards you, of course, but his lifestyle has changed. He works for this place now, the people who run this...establishment," he looked away before saying, "Are people who will risk anything and anyone just to get what they want. And they want you to become a apart of them...one of us."
"And by becoming one of you, what does that make me?"
"Well, I'm sure you know of us. We're the people in the news who claim to be bending the laws of life. Gravity is no part of some of us, immortality is our friend, we are invincible and we can be cruel if that's what's called. We get what we want and we aim high...we're the monsters in a child's dream, we're the ones who inspire horror movies." He grinned, this time, his teeth resemble fangs, or so Rae thought...maybe it was just her imagination.
"And despite our glory and power, we are The Damned."
Rae rolled her eyes, "Whatever, you're just a bunch of stupid humans like me who are criminals and think you can actually do something when in reality you're all a bunch of nut heads."
His eyes flashed in hurt, then blazed into anger, his form turned towards her, and he was on all fours, crawling towards her, the bed making soft noises as he crept towards her.
Finding herself to now be very worried, she shrunk up a little, her hands curling into the sheets, she gulped before squeaking, "What are you doing?"
The look in his eyes was predatory and the way he bared his teeth, he resembled an animal, waiting to take his food for the night.
"You will believe in my power Rae, know that." In a movement that had Rae completely dazed and slammed against the head board, Miguel was now staring straight into her eyes, breathing and hissing through gritted teeth, he slammed her again, making her head pop back and hit the board hard.
And when she lost her guard, her mind in a fuzzy state, his eyes burned into her own, digging deep into her and taking a hold on her.
All these memories began to flood back, making her tense up and sit there as stiff as stone.
He was reading her life, seeing who she was, seeing every moment from the day she was born.
It was too much, the ways she found herself in each scene had her longing to be back when she was 9, curled up in a bed of leaves and reading a book, the one year where everything seemed to be going right.
Until the day her mother was killed by an armed mugger.
Leaving her alone, until her dad came and took custody of her, when she met her half brother, Ian, who was 13, his own mother had died of cancer.
So the pain was shared and carried by both.
That was when things starting to get real tough.
Every fight between Ian and her dad was replayed, only it seemed twenty times worse since she wasn't huddled in a corner with her hands over her ears.
Being hit and thrown and cursed out and getting bad grades with the wrong friends were all churning in her mind?
She had all ready lived it once; she didn't want to do it again.
There was a hiss in the middle of it all, not a human or an animal one, but that of a door, and then a shout, and suddenly the day of her 15th birthday faded out, and in a burst, she came to realize she was no longer face to face with Miguel but with a stranger whose eyes bore into hers, not to harass her and dig past her memories, but eyes that were worried and a little angry.
"Are you all right?"
The voice was strong, but she could tell by the shake in it that he was a little beyond angry...furious, you could say.
Her mouth opened and her lips trembled, clamping them together she closed her eyes and nodded.
She felt the man's weight lift up and he turned, picked up Miguel by his collar, who had been...thrown or forced onto the floor, his split lip was running with blood.
"What did you think you were doing? You can't just scour her mine like that! She's a human being and that is NO way to go about trying to recruit her you idiot!" The man was seething.
"You don't understand-"
"Oh I understand perfectly well that you were just showing off, come on! Later you are to apologize, do you understand?" The man was now dragging him off to the door.
"Fine mother," Miguel grumbled, shuffling out of the door miserably.
The guy paused before glancing back and managed a soft smile, "Forgive him, he's still learning." With a wave, he was gone.
Rae waved back, but lowered her hand softly to her lap, looking down, remembering the look in the guy's silver eyes...
Gold was never her thing anyways.
But those orbs were like a pool of molten silver, swimming and swirling with such depth you wanted to take a plunge to see how far you could go she blushed, and laid her head down upon her pillow, exhaustion finally taking its toll and breaking her down into a slumber.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
 
 
The dreams were odd.
She found herself in a forest, only, the trees were made of metal and the grass was gray, with random spark of blue here and there.
The flowers were half the size of a tree and met her neck every where she went. The petals were humongous and colorful and the smell was overpowering.
Like most forests, critters ran around wildly.
Thing was, these critters were so big that if they wanted to they could just step on her and kill her instantly.
But they didn't, in fact they offered her something.
They wanted her to become a critter as well.
Which, after some thought wasn't so bad. She could be big like them and wouldn't be trampled by other animals or swept away by a gentle breeze.
It was tempting.
But when taking a look to find others around like herself, she suddenly wanted to stay the same.
Being human had its down sides, sure, but so did being a critter...
She didn't want to be color blind or rely mainly on her hearing.
Plus, the feeling of flesh against hers wouldn't be the same with fur against flesh...it was illegal too, and in the process you would kill the human or flesh thing.
And after declining, each animal was after her, wanting so badly to show her just what it was she was missing.
They wanted to kill her for her decision.
And so she ran...
 
Rae woke up with a start, finding her hair being gently stroked, the smell of Axe and smoke entered her nostrils and went up to her brain, sending off the realization of just who was beside her.
Sitting up, she looked to her right and her eyes widened.
It was Ian.
He looked a little different, for starters he had a trimmed mustache and his lashes looked longer around his smoldering eyes. He looked even more fit too, muscular, as if he was training to be in the NFL.
The black wife beater was ripped at his stomach, giving a small peak to his abdomen, and on his waist was the band of his jeans which had holes at the knees.
In the center of gaze he moved back and stood up, showing himself to her, making sure she knew who he was, he gave a sheepish grin and chuckled gently.
"I couldn't bring myself to wake you up," his voice was deeper, "You looked like an angel..."
Rae's eyes welled with tears, and suddenly she leaped from the bed, her arms wrapped around his neck as he encircled her waist, her legs taking on a vice grip around him, her sobs hard and vicious with soft little laughs, her body shaking all over.
By the way his chest rose and fell in a shudder, she could tell he was getting emotional too.
Moving forward, her feet met her bed and she stood up, looking down at him from her position, she gave a teary eyed smiled too. grabbing his head and kissing his forward she then whispered, "I can't believe it."
"Believe it," he moved down, she did the same, sitting at the edge of the bed as he sat on his knees in front of her. His hand moved up, brushing some messy strands away from her face he commented, "Dang girl, you're a mess."
With salty tears flowing down her cheeks she laughed and slapped his shoulder, pausing before saying, "What...what happened?"
Shaking his head he said, "Later...I...I can't really tell you."
"Why not?! I mean...you were taken from me! That deserves an explanation." Her voice was unstable and her nerves were being chipped away.
His large hands went up to her cheeks, looking into her eyes he whispered, "Listen to me, things here...I'm different."
"Miguel told me, right before he probed my brain." Rae growled.
"Ya, I heard about that...listen," shaking his head he went on, dismissing the thing as if she had told him it was raining outside.
"I'm very glad you're here, but...in order for you to stay you have to take the injection. Life is so...it's so different on the other side." Ian gave this smile that disturbed Rae for some reason.
"Different? You mean screwed up?" Rae scoffed and shook her head, "Ian, I will not be injected."
"You will once you get a taste."
"A taste?"
Smiling, Ian sighed and said, "Don't worry, just a taste, a day of seeing what it means to truly be powerful...you're going to love it."
Narrowing her eyes she said, "Ian, you...these people beat you, they took you away from me! And now they've brain washed you-"
"No Rae, I choose this for the better." Getting to his feet he ran a hand through her hair, "Soon you will too, I have to go, it's dinner time."
When Rae's eyes rose to him he added, "Not for you though, you'll get fed in a little while, no worries, you'll get it..." He smirked and turned, "See ya Rae."
Once he was gone, Rae was on her stomach, her mind buzzing but numb.
What had happened to him?
Ian was...damned.