Original Stories Fan Fiction / Role Playing Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ The Damned ❯ Chapter 3

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 3:
Meaning
 
 
Within the next few days, Rae's life was turned upside down.
She wasn't sure how or why, but every thing seemed to be so out of place.
Every two hours she was taken from her room and was tested, one time she was timed on her running, another on sit ups, push ups, and all kinds of other exercise that was she was not prepared for, and hadn't been since the 10th grade.
It was awful.
By the end of the fourth day every bone and muscle in her body was screaming.
Another thing that really made her days even worse was that she hadn't seen Ian since the first day of getting there.
The one person she saw most was this guy named Adam, her trainer guy, or something like that.
He was 6'4, with an incredible build and dark skin.
Hazel eyes stared at you with such a sweet gaze it made you smile whenever he spoke. His voice could reach a point where you think a cute five year old is talking to you, when in reality, a tall black dude with humongous arms was staring dead in your face and was YOUR trainer, so whenever she began to let up a little, his voice would drop and it would remind her of just how vicious he was and how able has to break her in half.
So, she went on as far as she could, breaking points that left her in tears, and for what?
She had no frickin idea.
And that was the worst part to it all.
She was working for something she probably didn't even want to work for in the first place.
The only good part was that by the end of the next two weeks, she was in shape.
Again, for what, she didn't know.
So, one day as Adam had her swimming laps around the Olympic sized swimming pool, in a place that came to competition against Bill Gate's home, she saw him in mid breast stroke talking with Miguel, the both of them looking at her when she spotted another man.
Long black hair came to his waist and was tied up in a high ponytail, his dark, purple-black eyes stared at her from across the pool, his black jeans tight and his shirt had a long tail that came up to the back of his knees and was buttoned up to the middle of his pale, fit chest.
Rae paused in her swimming, her toes barely touching the bottom; she was now the center of their attention.
Wonderful.
Turning, she began to swim to the stairs, walking out, she shivered as a breeze rushed over her, sending goose bumps all over her body, and she grabbed the huge, long white towel and wrapped it around her bikini clad body, coughing softly as she walked towards them.
"Hey," she smiled a little, her dimples sinking in.
Adam grinned and nodded, "You know Miguel, ya? OK, well, this right here is Korbin."
Nodding towards him, Rae smiled and gulped, "So, um, is training over?"
"Not quite," Adam paused and turned, forming a circle with the others he then turned back around, "OK...so we have one more test for you, all right?"
"Fine,” Rae groaned, "let me change."
"No."
"What?"
Adam shook his head, "It won't be necessary, Korbin and Miguel need to see something."
"Wait," Rae put up a hand and looked at them both, "You're not going to scour my mind again, are you?"
Korbin smirked a little and answered in a deep, smooth voice, "Miguel has learned his lesson; he will not search your mind again." At her cocked brow he went on, as if reading her mind, "Neither will I."
"OK then, so what will you do?"
"As you know, each person has a strong point," Miguel began.
"Ya and each have their weakness," Adam jumped in, crossing his arms over his chest he went on, "So we will test yours."
"Oh, OK...so, what will you do?" Rae blinked as the two began two come around her, Adam was at her back, as if he would need to catch her if she should fall.
"Just a few exercises," at her groan, Korbin added, "Mind exercises."
His hands rose, his black nails growing a little, which Rae found odd, she swallowed hard as his index fingers rested on her temples.
"OK, Rae, I need you to close your eyes." Korbin looked into her eyes, the odd color of violet shining over the black.
She nodded and closed her eyes, breathing in the air and exhaling slowly, a soft word came from his lips and colors exploded behind her lids.
Different type of greens, blues, reds, brown, yellows, oranges, purples, and all sorts of others came in this one big acid rush that made her stumble, her inner self seeming to be standing right in the middle in complete, and drooling awe.
Her hand reached, little waves of light making the outline of her body wavy, as her fingers grasped something.
Moving her arm back down at her sight, her elbow crooked in and her hand opened to show an outstretched arm, a rainbow of blue, black, silver, white, and a faint red, all most pink, was sitting there.
But within an instant, it changed into gold, a blazing red, green, purple, and a glowing, more vibrant black showed up.
She was at a loss for words, when suddenly, the colors were warped into the triangle shaped box, and the colors on her hand vanished.
Her eyes flew open and a soft gasp left her, finding that Adam and Miguel had her, her balance was out of whack and she felt like the room was spinning.
Korbin was standing across from her, looking a little tired, his breathing a little heavier, but the look in his eyes was odd, and when she blinked and turned her head away he chuckled.
"I'll take her to her room." Korbin said, stepping forward.
Her mind screamed for someone else but her body was drained, what from the seven hours of working herself to death and then being mentally high, she was just given over like some animal that had no choice after being caught in a claw.
Heaving her up bridal style, Korbin grinned a little to Miguel and Adam, "First I will explain to her," at their looks he explained, "It's only fair, I'm sure she's freaked out enough, anyways, then I will report it to the Board, they will figure it out."
He walked ahead, his train of liquid black locks bouncing gently, making Rae stare blankly at it, feeling like she was in a haze, her energy only moved like she was a Dial Up connection, one bar every ten hundred minutes.
As they moved down the hall a voice sounded and then Korbin's voice came in to respond, she turned her head and found herself staring at a man and a woman.
She recognized the woman from the first day she was here, Cyn.
Beside her was a man with blond hair that fell to his shoulders in gorgeous locks, he was a little taller then the long legged woman beside him.
The jeans he wore were nicely fitted and the gray shirt he had on had a black, faded guitar on the front.
But what caught her attention most, save for the hair, was his eyes which she remembered...
The same silver orbs that stared into hers with intense worry.
Or anger.
She still wasn't sure.
And even now they gave off the same signal.
"Kor," he began, his voice sending bells and whistles off in her head. "What are you doing with her?"
"Taking her to her room," Korbin answered rather coolly, unblinking and strong in his words, Rae gave a slight groan, her body rising, but at his tightening grip she loosened up.
Cyn arched a brow and crossed her arms under her chest, "Why?"
"I tested her, to see her power," he smirked gently and went on, "She has potential."
"But it won't be perfected until the injection," Cyn said, "Have you even informed her? Because if not, I will, she needs to know."
"I'll tell her, but first I should give the exciting news, now if you'll excuse me," Korbin took a step forward but the blond stopped him for a moment.
"Korbin," his voice was low and in a slight growl, "Do not do what you did last time...I had to take care of her, and I have no time for a girl whose terror makes the place come crashing down."
"Don't worry," Korbin shifted Rae in his arms, his head moved down and his cold lips brushed her cheek, "I'll take care of her."
Stiffening the man said, "Korbin..."
"Elijah please, don't put worry into the girl's mind, you're making it worse with throwing out accusations, I mean, just how will she learn to trust me if you're breaking it down?" Korbin pouted his lower lip a little and by the way Elijah's eyes sparked, Rae and Cyn both could tell his anger was flaring.
But before harm could be down, Cyn spoke up, "Eli come on, we've no time for this."
"Right," he glared at Korbin once more, but when his gaze came to Rae a small smile lifted his lips and his eyes told her to be safe...or was it his voice?
She didn't see his lips move.
She just lowered her head into the crook of Korbin's neck until they reached her room and he sat her down.
Sitting up took some work, but she managed...somehow.
"So," Rae finally spoke up, her throat sort of dry, she swallowed hard and looked to Korbin who stood in front of her, his brows rising. "What...was the meaning of earlier, all those colors," she shook her head slowly and went on, "I don't understand, this is all so confusing." Pausing she went on with clenched fists and growled, "Ian doesn't bother to even say hey, everyone whispers and points when I walk by, I'm sick of all the secrets and people putting off explanations." She looked up into Korbin's eyes, shuddering as she pulled her towel a little tighter around herself. "Just...can someone, right now you, tell me something?"
He smiled, and turned his body to sit beside her, his eyes glanced over to her and he laid his hand on her knee, "This whole thing, The Damned...it's a race in a way."
"A race," she swallowed, moving back and sitting Indian-style, she moved the covers over herself, looking at him wide wondering eyes.
"Ya, ok, well you've heard of mutants, right?"
She nodded slowly.
"Most mutants are born with powers and abilities, and all these...things," he shook his head, "However; we choose the powers and the genetic enhancements and all of the things that make us who we are."
"So then, you become a mutant by choice?" Pausing she went on, "But you took me and Ian..."
"Because you have potential...and more," By the way his voice sounded, the tone of suggestion made her blink and cock her head to the right, "I can't explain that right now, but don't worry, your time will be soon."
"OK...so then, what was up with the colors?" Rae brought her knees to her chest, looking at him with a curious expression.
"OK, in the colors you pulled out a blue, it was a sky blue, which means either water or ice."
"You mean...elements?" Pursing her lips her brows furrowed and she said to herself, "I didn't think those were really...evident in a person's life."
Smiling, Korbin said, "Yes, they are real. Next is black, which stands for darkness," pausing he said, "Which is my main power. The rest of the colors behind the blue are just sub elements. Like...electives," he waved it off and went on, "Anyways, the element of darkness can control anything from the shadows, dreams, to telekinesis and magic. It's an element that only some can really control, it takes alot of energy and time, but it can be mastered...if you're fit for the job. The silver element represents metal, using the power to use it to advantage...maybe as a weapon. Like wielding a sword of some kind...see, the colors represent more then just elements, it also represents your skills. Say for instance, white, that stands for purity, innocence, and healing. The light red," he paused for a minute and went on, "I believe it stands for passion and your female nature...femininity I guess you could say."
Rae took a minute to let it all sink in before she asked, "So what about the other colors, the second time I opened my hand up...what did that mean?"
"Your weaknesses," taking a moment he said, "The elements you are weak against are fire and lightning, the red and the gold, as you can figure out." He stroked his chin and slowly began, "But then, the red can also stand for anger, wrath...it depends really. And then purple, which can also stand for magic, but also can stand for depression, bruises, hurt I guess...which in a way can power the magic, it is the fuel for the last resort. And as for the black the one that just popped out at you, that can stand for a great evil within..." he looked at her and his smooth tone of voice made her shiver as his words flowed into her ears, "An evil that can destroy even the greatest of all humans." He leaned towards her, his hand moving up to move her hair behind her ear he said gently, "You have no idea how much that entices me, to know just how bad you could be, I'm eager to find out."
Blushing profusely, Rae opened her mouth, but clamped it shut whenever his cold lips brushed over her neck, at her shiver, he grinned against her skin and pulled away slowly.
Jumping up to his feet he told her, "I have to go, I'll see you later Rae," he winked, "By the way, nice bikini."
Once he was out of her room Rae stood and headed into the bathroom, she needed a shower, a bath really, she needed to relax and soak in her thoughts.
Too many events had been swirling around her lately.
It was too much.
 
 
By the end of the day, Rae was exhausted, her energy was now completely drained for the day and she laid on the bed, her shorts and shirt being her articles of clothing for the evening she didn't even acknowledge the one that came in.
It was Cyn.
She sat up slowly and looked to the woman who stood and stared in her calm silence.
"Hey," Rae said, blinking as she combed her hair with her fingers.
"I came to tell you that your brother Ian just came in, right now he's in the medical center, being treated for his wound."
"What happened?"
Shrugging, Cyn told her, "While doing an assignment, he was shot in the arm, James got out the bullet, now he's patching the man up."
"Oh," getting to her feet, she walked towards her and paused, "May I see him?"
Cyn was silent for a moment before saying, "Before you do, I want to know something."
"OK."
It took a moment for her to word it right, but when she did, Rae was slow to respond. "Are you thinking of getting the injection?"
"The injection..." It was an echo of her words, and Rae wasn't sure what to add to her phrase, "I...am not sure. I've seen a change in Ian since when he was taken away. He hated you people with a passion, and now he's pressuring me to become one of you. It confuses me yet attracts me at the same time. Just what is in that injection anyways?"
Cyn smiled a little and shook her head, "Who knows?" A shadow appeared over her face and she sighed, as if a memory pained her or there was something she wish she could say but it was forced back.
Rae bit her lip, "Will I be forced to take the injection?"
"No, no one can force you to take the injection, it isn't right...that's why we are called the damned. Just like God's angels, we choose our fate; no one can choose it for us."
Feeling comforted at that Rae urged Cyn to take her to the medical center, wanting to see Ian; she wanted to make sure he was OK, and to have another conversation with him and say whatever she was allowed to squeeze in.
Pushing past the swinging double doors, the two women entered and had the men inside acknowledge them.
Ian was sitting on one of the examining table, grinning as Rae came forward, ignoring James who was now rolling the cloth around his arm and threw his arms up, and slamming James in his nose.
"Ow!" James pulled back and held the bridge of his nose with his index finger and thumb, sniffing a little. "OK, next time, Eli is doing this...ah!"
Ian grabbed Rae into a hug, "What's up little sister of mine," he kissed her cheek and pulled back, smiling still. "Like the battle wound? Wanna see?"
"No thanks," Rae sighed, going to his side and wrapping the rest of the bandage up and placing the safety pin in the cloth, holding it together.
"Thanks," jumping to his feet, he placed his uninjured arm around her shoulders, "Hey Jay, thanks for the help man, appreciate it,"
James nodded, still holding his nose; he moved to Cyn and tilted his head back to her, "Is it bleeding?"
Narrowing her eyes, suddenly her fist shot forward into his gut, making him gasp and lurch forward, leaving him in the state as Cyn walked away.
"Love you too," he fell to his knees, "Oh you slut!"
He screeched when a wave of bone chilling water washed over him, snuffing him out.
In the hall ways Rae was walking with her arm around Ian's waist, her head down as her brother rambled on, telling of his adventure. "So I went into the alley, it was pretty dark, anyways, the woman I had been chasing was at a dead end, she was starting to scramble up the fence, when I grabbed her and yanked her down, she turned on me and shot my arm...however, she didn't get away. Even with the bullet an inch under my skin, I tackled her and tied her up while the backup came and helped me out. We got her; right now she's in the cells."
"You guys have cells?" Rae asked, blinking up to him.
"Oh ya, we have tons of get a ways and people with potential."
"Why am I not in there?"
Ian chuckled, "Because, you're my sister, you have some special treatment here because of your connections to me."
"So, what, are you a celebrity around here?" Rae asked, her animosity rising...he annoyed her so bad, she couldn't remember ever being irritated by him, but his voice, his walk, his whole demeanor was so different. Sure, he had all ways been a kidder, one reason why she loved him, but there was this arrogance and he had this feeling as though he actually liked this place.
Rae wanted to leave.
"In a way," he paused; Rae walked on, but was pulled back by her wrist and faced Ian, looking up into his eyes.
"Are you all right?" For a moment, the same sincerity she used to love flashed into his features. "You seem so mad, and...Well, I don't want you to be."
"I'm fine," she lied, sighing, she closed her eyes and opened them slowly, a frown twitching at her lips, but then a smile rose instead and she looked at him. "Just, I wanna stop being so confused and fuzzy about everything. When will I get an actual clue as to why I'm here?"
"Tonight."
"What?" She blinked.
"Tonight, we all will meet in the banquet hall, dinner is to be served, change into something formal and be on your best behavior. I myself have to go," leaning forward, his kissed her cheek again, paused and then kissed her lips softly, "See ya in a little while," he winked and grinned, standing up straight, "The information you will be fed will be very startling...be ready."
Rae watched as he disappeared down the corner, sighing she turned and found she was in front of her room, walking in, she went to her bed and sat down, feeling the tingle on her lips still, she bit down on her bottom lip and looked around.
When there was a knock yet again on her door all she did was yell, "Ya," and it opened. Showing Eli who strolled in leisurely with a soft smile.
"Oh hey," Rae felt dowdy in her shirt and shorts.
"Hey there," he paused and said, "OK, so, pretty much everyone has been properly introduced to you but me, and unfortunately it is me who you will have to sit next to at dinner." He waved it off, "Sorry if it's your nightmare."
"No, not at all," she giggled a little, "Um, OK, so ya, my name is Rae...hi."
Grinning, he raised a hand and waved, "Call me Eli...pleasure to meet you, formally. Considering the last two times I found you in the perils of danger and take it on myself to help you out."
"Ya, about that," Rae laughed, "Are you like some sort of bouncer...or a guardian angel?"
"Not quite," he shrugged, "I might could pass for one if you put a white robe on me, get the light fixtures, get the wind blowing, and gimme some wings...I might be Michael himself, which you know, would fit it since it's my middle name." He waved it off when seeing her smirking. "Anyways, so, I guess that since you're not torn up and sobbing, Korbin treated you OK?"
"Pretty much, save for when he kissed my neck," her brows furrowed a little as did Eli's who looked away, his cheeks flushed a little.
"Don't worry; I'll get him for that." Eli sighed and looked to her, placing his hands in her pockets, "So what are you going to wear?"
"Is it supposed to be formal?"
"Semi formal," he laughed a little, "I don't know how to explain it much it can get frustrating."
"I get ya," she got up from the bed and went forward to the wardrobe, opening it up she asked, "Think you can help me out?"
Eli came up to stand behind her, looking over her head easily, he stared into the medium expanse inside, and bit his lip, reaching over her, the ends of his blond locks brushed her cheeks as he bent a little, and his body pressed into her back. "Here we go." She was so enraptured by his smell and the touch of his body, she fell back into him when he moved away, it was reflex that didn't have her on the floor sprawled, bad thing was, it was his reflexes which had her against him with his arms wrapped around her chest, pressing into her breasts, she blushed as they stood frozen, the clothes he had chosen were on the floor.
"Are you all right?"
Rae gulped, pushing up, he immediately let go, both of their cheeks were scarlet red, "Ya I'm fine," she laughed a little and turned to him, "I just...I'm a clumsy little so'em or the other, sorry."
He grinned and bent down, getting the clothes, he handed it to her, "The color will probably look good on you...try it on."
Taking the clothes she disappeared into the bathroom and changed into the jean skirt he had handed over which reached her knees. On her top was a green shirt with long flowing sleeve, the center of the shirt was like a corset, which outlined curvaceous figure, the part was hard and a shiny green but it was oddly comfortable...supportive.
Strapping on some heels, she walked out, wobbling a little, she looked up to see Eli smirking, his eyes tracing her figure, he made an approving noise and went on with a, "Yes, you look great...semi formal...meets sexy club attire, I like."
"Do you guys actually go to the clubs," Rae asked suddenly, her brows rising as she slid on her glasses.
"Sometimes, whenever free time is given, we use it to the best of our advantage." He rubbed the back of his neck and grinned, "So are you liking this place? Or do you despise it with every bone of your body?"
"Depends on what day it is, but I pretty much despise it." Rae nodded and sat onto her bed with a heavy sigh, "It's just, this uncontrollable whirl wind every single day. I'm either training or being pulled out to talk about my future and then I get these looks from these...Damned people, or whatever the frick they are. And then, Ian, well, he's just the shell, it was like they switched his brain or something. And I'm getting into all this crap that keeps getting deeper and deeper, like quick sand, I think I'm losing my mind...or rather, I want to. I don't see why they need me here, I'm no one special." She stopped herself, finding that Eli was now sitting beside her, his eyes concentrating only on her, he seemed to actually be listening...as if he cared.
"I'm sorry," she laughed a little; "I shouldn't be throwing all of this on you."
He straightened up in realization, finding that he had been so absorbed, he cleared his throat and stood, "Oh that's fine, um," he looked to her, finding it odd just to run out on her, he backed away slowly.
"I'll see you at dinner eh?"
"Right, see ya." She smiled, watching him leave.
It was only an hour until they called her in, and once she was there, she found herself drowned in self doubt.
All eyes were on her.
 
Through out the night conversations of all kinds went around, making Rae silent, her own voice being lost in her shy nature, all though, she was found out by Eli who took the time to stop speaking to James, Cyn, and Adam, who all appeared to be acquainted, and finally spoke to her.
"Like the food?"
She looked up, chewing the morsel of chicken and swallowed it, she nodded, "Yes, the seasoning is...good." Rae coughed a little, blushing at Eli's laugh, though suddenly he paused when James asked him a question of some assignment earlier that week.
She took a moment to observe her surroundings. The people who sat at the ridiculously long table were absorbed in their talking, she heard her name here and there, and their random printings and whispers made towards her.
Ian was at the right of the head of the table while Korbin was at the left.
Sitting in the head chair was a man, short brown hair was spiked up and brown eyes stared out at everyone, he looked to be in his mid-30s, confidence edged his face as well as a grim authority, she noticed how some would avoid his gaze, and how quick sorries would be made when doing something out of line, like...laughing too loud.
However, when his eyes caught hers, she stared back for several seconds, but the intensity in his eyes made her look away, gulping and shaking, she shook her head and sighed.
"Eli," she touched his shoulder and whispered into his ear, he stiffened at this, as if surprised but pleasantly, and turned his head to look into her eyes, the color startled her once again and she gulped before saying, "Where is the nearest bathroom?"
He smiled and said, "Your room...all bathrooms are private, mind you...so help yourself."
"Oh, ok," she slid back in her chair, making the legs groan against the cold, hard floor, she winced and could feel everyone's eyes burning holes into her back.
With her heels clicking, she made a leave from the dining room, not giving in to the pains in her head.
They had been coming on and off for the last five days, quick yet intense enough to wake her from a deep sleep.
And then there was that churning in the pit of her stomach, she had the urge to vomit.
Stumbling into her room, she made a way to the bathroom, walking in and falling to her knees in front of the toilet, she gasped as the pains attacked her abdomen and then down to her knees.
Her mouth opened in a croak, her body shaking as sweat trickled down her face from her head, her hands rose and the burning feeling spread to her face, her cheeks were now flushed incredibly.
"Oh...God," inhaling deep, long, and sharp, her exhale was in a loud painful scream, her orbs were like head lights, this incredible glow reaching the ceiling of the bathroom, the ripping feeling infected her whole body.
The pain was worse then any other she had ever felt.
And pain was half of her life.
So then why did this make her wish for death?
In an instant however, it was gone.
Her body went limp against the wall behind her that she had scurried to in her panic, panting heavily with sweat trickling down her skin.
Now her exhaustion took toll, her eyes rolled back into her head and her upper body slumped to the floor, passed out.