Original Stories Fan Fiction / Role Playing Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ The Damned ❯ Chapter 6

[ A - All Readers ]

 
 
 
Chapter 6:
Betrayal
 
 
The art of Betrayal.
It was something that had to be handled with care and patience.
It took time to break away trust and to let the other really feel the brunt of the blow, even if it was for their own good.
Sitting with his head bowed, within the dark shadows of his room, Eli sighed, thinking of earlier.
Mr. Fray had scheduled a meeting that day.
And to make a good impression, Eli had arrive ten minutes before the scheduled time and Mr. Fray had eagerly taken him in, not caring for good impressions, he no longer had to make them, so he really cared not for appearances.
All though, he was every bit of what'd you expect of a man whose power who was great and polished.
Eli had taken a seat across from him, his silver eyes holding a bit of doubt, and curiosity as to why he had been called in.
"Mr. Horton," Fray's voice was loud and smooth, catching his attention immediately and holding it firmly, "I've brought you in here to speak to you of Ms. Sanchez's condition."
A blond brow rose and he mumbled, "Ok? What about her?"
"She won't take that injection, I sure you know that, the two of you are friends," his brown eyes sparkled, "Or something like that. Well, you also know the consequences if she rejects it...and she plans to. It's obvious by the way she speaks against it." The man stopped, they were in his office and he was gazing outside of the large window, admiring the city. "So, for her good and ours, I'm going to need you to persuade her."
Eli sat up, his mind was on alert, and he was a bit worried, his lips had settled into a firm line and he was looking at this man, his boss, Mr. Fray and asked, "What sort of persuasion are you asking from me?"
"Whatever kind it takes Mr. Horton," he looked over his shoulder and grinned, "She deserves the best. And destroying herself with her own sickness is not the best...she needs the injection to keep living. You know that. So, if gentle persuasion will not be used, then rough will have to come in to the picture."
"She can't be moved from her decision Mr. Fray," Eli got to his feet, his tall frame was clothed in a black suit, the shirt beneath the jacket was gray and the tie was black, "If Rae doesn't want the injection, she won't get it."
There was no answer for a while; making Eli think he was going to just dismiss him into the pile of useless people before saying, "Like I said, rough persuasion will be used then. Or perhaps both," he smiled, laugh lines etching his face, it was odd, for a man like that to have such cheery lines.
"So long as she is injected, then...all will be well. Don't you agree?"
"Not really Mr. Fray. I can't betray my friend like that...she..." he shook his head, "She'll never forgive me."
"Rachel won't have to," he grinned and turned back to Eli away from the glare of the sun and shiny buildings, "We'll reprogram her mind, her memories, she won't ever remember having a grudge against you or anyone else. Ian will also have to be changed up, his mind altered for his sister's sake. Blood is thicker then water, sometimes family is all you have." Wagging a finger to Eli he mumbled, "But you wouldn't know about that hm?"
Winking he went to his seat, looking at his computer before saying, "Elijah, I will send you the plans...you will be guided with what to do, don't worry."
Now, Eli was overlooking this outline, his mind was floating, playing the vision in his head of just what would happen. He couldn't just dismiss the orders, he'd be thrown out or killed...or punished in some way unfair.
He was torn.
How in the world could he betray Rae?
This was going to be difficult.
Lying back, he sighed heavily, tossing the paper aside and crossing his fingers over his stomach, wondering how he would go about this.
Eli was going to be throwing away everything and would leave Rae in the dark.
He had sworn to himself to never hurt her, and yet here he was, about to rip her heart out. He just hoped that the legions in her brain were strong enough for him to start over with her.
 
 
 
Each punch echoed, dust settled off of the stiff red bag, and Rae was going to beat it until it was bruised and no longer looked old and unused.
Lately, dreams had been plaguing her.
Memories, her mother, and people she didn't want to be around.
Like say for instance her father, or in some circumstances, Korbin.
Lately the two had somehow agreed to have an amount of space, more or less on his part. It seemed he didn't want to be around her.
Maybe I'm not a good kisser, Rae thought to herself, Or perhaps he regrets doing something like that...I don't know why. I don't regret it, it was most interesting. She smiled a little, turning her body and sending her leg up with her foot noisily and painfully crashing into the punching bag.
'Perhaps he's interested in another girl, or has some chick all ready-nah.' Shaking her head she sent several blows to the non-existent opponent. 'That's not like Korbin to pull away because of guilt. Maybe it's something else, something I have no clue about.'
"Maybe you're right."
Rae shrieked turning, punching blindly as reflex, she found herself staring into Miguel's eyes, blood trickled from his nose, and she gasped, taking the big suffocating gloves off and heading forward, her hands at the side of his face, peering at his nose, "Oh god, Miguel, I am so so sorry!" She bit her lip, pulling away, "I think there's a first aid somewhere-" She was about to turn and run off before Miguel grabbed her.
"Don't bother," wiping the blood away he sniffed loudly, his eyes watering for a moment before he shook his head once and let out this growl.
Rae pulled herself away, looking at him before saying, "Now, what were you talking about before I hauled off on you?"
He laughed, "Sure you ain't going to punch me again? Jeeze girl, you have a strong left clip, “he blinked several times before waving it off and saying, "Maybe you're right, About Korbin running off for some unknown reason."
Rae stiffened, "So you did deserve that punch huh? You were reading my mind, prick!"
All in his good yet creepy nature, he put his arms up, "Oh no, don't hit me again little girl!"
She growled and swung her leg, her foot colliding with his gut, he doubled over.
Stepping back, she crossed her arms and glared down at him, "So, do you have any idea whatsoever why Korbin pulled away?"
He put a hand up, asking for a moment as he recovered, his hands were stiffly on his knees and his breath left in short little gasps. "Dear God," he coughed and stood up, his face stiff and looking like he didn't just feel his lower intestine hit his spine by force.
"Actually," settling his hands on his hips he said, "No." Shrugging he mumbled, "No matter how forward Korbin his he's still a mystery. That's his strategy, to give off some other man while the one inside rots away and he learns to forget it." When Rae's mouth opened, he answered her question before she even worded it, "I read minds, remember?"
Rae's shoulders slumped and she turned away, "Ok then, well...how about you ask him and find out? It's bothering me."
Miguel laughed, "Sure I'll try-" he paused and said, "But just to help you out, maybe you should uh, go and remind Eli just how much you like him, despite what you did with Korbin." He snickered when she flipped him the bird. "Just tryin' to help you out, Korbin's my bud and all, but Eli is a much better man...despite how much he punches me, agh." Pretty soon he was gone from the underground gym, leaving Rae to herself.
Rae was no longer occupied with the punching bag; instead, she soon followed Miguel's direction out of the door and up the stairs into the hall ways of the building.
It had been a while since she had been out, actually, now that she thought about it, she hadn't stepped foot outside of this building. Didn't Eli say they made the most of their time and went clubbing? Or something that didn't involved being trained and hounded by questions?
Looking around, she soon caught sight of Cyn and ran towards her, smiling, "Hey."
Cyn simply glanced at her before saying a quick hello back. "Something you need?"
"Well ya and I think you may need it too." Her eyes sparkled and Cyn arched her brows, wondering what it was the girl was referring to. "Don't you guys ever go out? Y'know, dancing, eating...playing put-put! Something?" Hope was dripping on every word and it amused Cyn, the way this girl was so happy and wanted something so stupid.
"I don't need to go out, I'm fine here." Cyn said, turning down one hall with Rae yapping at her heels like a persistent puppy.
"Aw, come on! It's been like...two months! Dear God, Cyn, I haven't been outside in two months! I mean, what are you trying to make become, A Vampire?"
"No," Cyn smirked, "That would be Korbin?"
Rae's brows furrowed, "Huh?"
Taking a look at the girl, she suddenly waved it off, "Never mind. Hey, look...if you want to go out, don't come complaining to me about it. Go convince James or Adam or something, I'm sure they're pretty eager to go out." Cyn grunted when Rae completely stopped her from walking.
"Where are they?"
Snatching her hand away, Cyn sighed and said, "Probably the pantry."
Rae smiled, "Okay then, thanks!" Turning, she sprinted down the hall.
Cyn shook her head a little, and turned, walking away.
 
 
Adam was on his tip-toes, reaching the very first rack inside of the pantry, he was concentrating on getting the box of cheese nips.
Only, right when his fingertips touched the book, it went flying back and smacked him in the head. "OW!"
James was seated at the small table that was set in the midst of the medium size room, munching happily on the cheese crackers, he hummed gently.
Looking back to him, Adam's hazel eyes narrowed. "You...butt hole!"
James laughed, winking, "Thanks Adam."
Cracking his knuckles, Adam growled, walking forward, ready to punch all there was to James out of his nose, but stopped when the door to the pantry opened and in strolled Rae.
"Hey Rae," Adam smiled, waving, as did James, though he kept his mouth closed as he chewed on the crackers, swallowing it down, he flashed his dimpled grin.
"Yuck," Rae waved at him, motioning to his mouth, seeing little crumbles of orange crackers on his pearly teeth. "Clean that up please."
James scowled, sucking his teeth as he stood and set the crackers to the side, which Adam happily leaped on.
"So anyways," Rae shoved her hands in her pockets with a smile, "I was hoping that y'all would want to go out with me, I'm dying for a taste of the outside world...I usually don't, but Christmas has like pretty much passed and I'm really missing it." She placed her hands together and gave a soft, pleading smile.
The two men exchanged looks; they didn't look pleased or ready.
James looked away, his mouth set into a grim line and this unspoken forlorn in his green eyes which darkened, his black brows furrowed and he sighed heavily.
"Rae, we can't, neither can you," looking up he said, "There's something we have to do and it can't be completed until...well...it will be another week or more until you're able to go out for once. Sorry," when he looked at her, she felt weird, all most as if she owed him some sort of sympathy or explanation of something she didn't know anything about.
"Oh, well, all right then," Rae gulped and smiled, "That's cool, I understand." She turned, hearing a sigh from Adam, it sounded like relief, and she turned around, her suspicion growing. "So then, what will happen for me to go outside?"
Neither one said a thing.
Right when she thought things were going smoothly, something happened.
It was her life, she was used to it, and so whenever silence was given in return, she smiled bitterly. "Doesn't matter, I'll find out soon enough, hm?"
Turning, she was surprised to bump into Alex, the woman stood steadfast, looking down on the shorter girl before suddenly giving a half-smile, half-smirk.
"Hey Rae."
Lately the two had gotten to be sort of friends, not close enough to strip down to immodest pajamas and have pillow fights, but enough to go out for the movies every now and then.
"Hey Alex," she smiled, and then moved around her, only to find Alex's hand planted firmly on her shoulder.
"Hey Rae, do you want to go with me to the training room?
Her brows rose and she gave a wolfish grin, "I promise I'll go easy on you."
Rae's brows furrowed, "Easy on me? Psh, whatever, I will have you on your back begging for mercy."
"Bring it midget," winking, Alex turned, walking away from Rae, though led the girl on with some invisible chain.
As they strolled down the halls, Rae caught up to Alex's side, glancing up at her before asking, "So uh, what exactly are your powers? I...was never told."
"You'll see," Alex smirked, going to the right; they disappeared into a wide hall that had dimmed lights and gray walls. Up ahead was a shining metal door, which was tall and big in width. As they reached the door, Alex reached forward and snagged it open, walking in to the dark room, Rae hesitated before following her.
Once inside, Rae sensed paranoia take over her body, she shivered lightly, standing in the pure darkness, she flinched when the lights came crashing on, stinging her eyes. Looking around, she found herself surrounded.
She was utterly confused.
Alex was at her right, Eli at her left, in front of her was Cyn and Zell was behind her. She looked up, and her eyes widened slightly, seeing a window which shielded her brother and Adam inside of the control room, or so it seemed.
Rae took a tiny step back, squeaking out, "Wh-What's going on?" Looking around, she gulped. "I hope this is one serious training session."
Eli stepped forward, she found herself backing away at his outstretched hand.
/Trust me
There's no need to fear/
"Hey, Rae, what's wrong?" He asked, his brows rose and he cocked his head to the side. For some reason, her soul was harassed by the perplexity of it all.
Why was it she found her body shaking?
"What's going on?" Rae asked, gulping, squeaking when a hand fell on her shoulder and turned to find James standing there. She lost her footing when he advanced on her and found herself sinking into Eli's arms, her eyes widened and she tore herself away.
"We just want to help," Alex said suddenly, making Rae looked at her suddenly with confused brown eyes.
/Everyone's here
Waiting for you to finally be one of us/
Rae blinked when the metal walls opened, and suddenly a breeze filled the place and an odd current of flowers filled the room, the floor was no longer cold and hard, but dewy and soft. Looking around, the field was amazing, and it stretched on for miles. But unfortunately her paradise was cut painfully short, seeing the circle come in closer.
The fake concern was obvious, and behind every word and gesture was an unforgiving meaning, and Rae found herself twisted up, wanting to know why and what was happening. Why in God's name was she in such a lovely field when she had just been standing in some dank, dark room.
When Cyn spoke, she was hypnotized by the performed emotions in her voice, "Rae, we care for you. We just want to make sure you go through as little pain and suffering as possible." When she came forward, Rae jumped away, breaking through the circle and scurrying back.
"Why are you guys acting like this? Stop! It's creeping me out." Rae whined, walking back unsteadily, nearly falling over God knows what.
/Come down
You may be full of fear/
Whenever Zell reached for her, she ran, making sure she was not to be held captive by these people, no way. And here thought they were pretty OK people.
She now had the real information. Rae knew that getting the injection would not be the answer for her future. No way, she was not going to let go of what she was.
Now that she knew, she wanted to keep it as close to her as possible.
Rae was aware that even though the injection still gave her power, she wanted natural, raw, primal power. It made her shiver inside when day dreaming of what she could do.
And whenever she thought herself free, she screamed when Eli appeared right in front of her, walking towards her.
"Eli, why are you doing this? I-I thought we were friends!"
Eli looked pained, his lips in a grim line, his gray eyes sad as he stared at her, walking allegiantly for her, making sure she wouldn't get away.
He held her there by his gave, he knew.
"Rae, I just want to help you, I want you to be sure of all the love and support you have here. Please," his hand reached up and stroked her locks of hair back behind her ear, leaning forward he said to her delicately, "I love you so much. I don't want to see you destroy yourself, please. Make the effort; I want to be with you. We all care about you; we want your best interest only."
/But you'll be safe here/
Rae looked up into his eyes, her lips parting, shaking her said slowly, "B-But I," she glanced away, nipping her bottom lip nervously, her indecision taking over, she shook slightly. There was nothing but devotion and truth in his eyes, she liked the expression she decided.
Reprimanding herself as a straight out fool, she sighed and nodded slowly, "All right...I-I'll get whatever there is needed."
/When you finally trust me
Finally believe in me/
Eli grinned.
It wasn't a minute later before the whirlwind of flowers was sucked out of the picture and they were back into the room. She looked up and scowled at the way Ian and Adam look, by they way they smirked it was as though they had just won a bet.
When looking ahead, her orbs widened as the walls opened again, only this time ment came pouring out, ready to fight it seemed.
Rae looked back to Eli, and he had turned, looking around in disdain.
"Eli," she said faintly, her eyes widened as something sharp pained her neck, she cried out, gurgling when finding that she had just been shocked by one of the men, she gasped and fell face forward, her body convulsing.
Eli turned away completely, his head bent.
"Eli!" She screamed, on her hands and knees, she looked back, seeing Alex, Cyn, James, and Zell back up against the wall, watching blankly.
Rae's eyes nearly bulged when the steel toe of a boot came flying up into her gut.
/I will let you down
I'll let you down/
Crumpling to the floor, she dug her nails into the metal, making it screech and groan painfully as she drug her nails down it.
She got to her feet suddenly, this black flame flaring inside of her. It wasn't red like anger, it was black, despair, anger, wrath, and desperation had mingled into one, and what triggered her was plain determination.
Crying out, she ran forward and swung her fist, her knuckles scratching against the teeth of one man before turning and bloodying the top of her shoe.
She ignored the pulse in her skull as she butted heads with one man and then did not give a care for the jerk in her elbow when jerking her arm back and up into the man's nose.
It was impressive; she had four of them down on the floor in an instant.
The rest were like a swarm of bees on a honeycomb.
And as she fought and proceeded, she found the strength dying, instead sorrow filled her and tears streamed down her face as she growled and screamed.
Eli had backed off; this was now Fray's men's job, no longer was it is.
Though, the weight of it all was put heavily onto his shoulders and he felt like swine when looking at Rae, catching her glare every time. The way her eyes burned green and gold, and the trickle of blood at the corner of her mouth just added to the ferocity to it all and he found himself loathing his very existence.
/When you finally trust me
Finally believe in me/
And then, it all came crashing down.
Rae had gathered each last bit of strength and sent it forward from the palms of her hands. Like a wave, it gathered and raised, a glowing darkness made of hate washed over the ten men in front of her. Screams of agony rose and suddenly, in an instant, they saw the bodies, before they crumbled like a cookie into ashes before them.
She was gasping for air, looking around, her face sweat, her hair a mess, her eyes blood shot, her cheek bruised while her lips were bloodied.
She was the epitome of an Amazon warrior, Eli just stared.
Until she fell over.
Running forward, he winced when hearing the thump of her head against the floor, moving her body; he settled her head on his lap.
/Trust me
I'll be there when you need me/
Cyn was the first to walk up, blinking down at her body she said, "She's still breathing, that's good."
Eli didn't answer, he kept stroking her forehead, his gaze intense on her face, frowning deeply, he brushed her bangs back.
Rae gave a deep moan, her body shifting a little, uncomfortable, she winced as she opened her eyes, "Eli?"
He smiled, stroking the side of her face.
"Don't worry Rae, you're all right...soon the injection will be over and all will be well, ok?" Hearing himself lie like that made him sick to his stomach.
/You'll be safe here
When you finally trust me
Finally believe in me/
Rae winced as if stabbed in the back, she shifted her eyes to him and narrowed them, snarling out, "You! I hate you!" She rose up like a zombie, screaming, "All of you betrayed me!" Her tan skin began to darken and her brown locks became black, while the brown of her eyes turned to an evil onyx. She turned on Eli in an instant, and bared her teeth before raking her nails across his cheek, drawing blood from five trails of open skin.
Before she could really attack, his arm shot up and pierced her gut, making her gasp and then crumple forward, unconscious.
"It's time for the injection." Eli murmured, his eyes closing.
/I will let you down/