Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ A Trip Worth Taking ❯ Flight and Homesickness, and the Arrival in a New World ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2. Flight and Homesickness, and the Arrival in a New World
 
Having enough of the view for a while, Renae tore her eyes away from the blue sky that was on the other side of the window, and focused them on the music player, feeling a pang in her heart. She did her best to ignore the feeling, but tears welled in her eye's.
 
`I ain't gonna cry. It's not like I'm leavin for good. I'll see them soon enough.' Sticking her head phones back in her ears and playing the song. Not really wishing to be bothered, yet something told her that she was, so her music was still on low volume.
 
Undoubtedly, she allowed her eye's to rest. She ignored all the directions about safety and all that. She knew what to do, it was all common sense.
 
Half an hour or so passed, and Renae was really enjoying her flight, no one bugged her and there was no one around who was talking to her. Yet, the same woman that had greeted her at the entrance, lightly tapped her shoulder, “Excuse me miss. Forgive me for bothering you.”

Renae really didn't mind all that much, she dug into her pocket and shut off her music player and she smiled up at the woman.
 
“Due to the lack of seats filled up front, we would like to bump you up to first class, free of charge.”

Renae couldn't believe it, first class?
 
“Oh, no I couldn't.” Was her reply.
 
“I don't want to seem rude, but I do not want to keep coming back here. My feet already hurt. So do us both a favor and take the offer.” Her voice was kind yet demanding, Renae liked this woman, and she took her offer.
 
She grabbed her bag and followed the woman. Passing the curtain again the separated coach and first class, she realized that there were not that many people.
 
The woman she would her to an empty row, where she would not be disturbed, “Is there any thing you'd like?” She asked.
 
Renae was well aware that in first class, everything except for alcohol, was paid for.
 
“A coke would do for now, thank you.”

She smiled and bowed, disappearing behind another set of curtains and returning back with her coke.
 
“Any thing else, Miss?”
 
“I'm not sure.”

”There's a menu right here, if you'd like.” The woman pulled out the menu that sat in the pocket in front of her, hidden behind the thick book.
 
Renae reached for it and saw something immediately what she liked.
 
“Can I have the ribeye teak?” she asked.
 
The woman smiled, “Of course. How would you like that cooked?”

”Medium, please.” Renae replied with a smile, remembering her manners.
 
She bowed and left once more, leaving Renae to relax a bit before her food got there. So, she was left alone, setting her seat back, not really caring how far it goes, considering no one was behind her. Takin in all the scents around her. From the leather on the seats, to the strong heavy perfume the woman sitting on the other side of the plane from her, and the meals others had.
 
She was starting to get a headache. Never had she smelled so many things at once in a compressed area. From the cigars of the men, to the heavy cloud of perfume from the women. Not to mention the smell of diapers and dirt and candy from the kids. So she did her best to ignore the circulating aromas, taking a sip out of her cup. Ice slowly melting in her coke, and slightly freezing the side, causing droplets to fall on the sides.
 
Surprisingly, it didn't take very long for her food to arrive. The ribeye was cooked to perfection, and it tasted wonderful. Pushing her empty plate away, and sitting back, Renae relaxed and waited for sleep to take her, and pass the rest of this long flight.
 
The woman came back once more, and took her plats and asked if she wanted anything else.
 
“A refill of coke and a blanket please.” Was Renae's reply as the woman bowed and disappeared again and brought her things, then walked away to let her relax.
 
Setting the pillow behind her head and the blanket on top, Renae reclined her chair all the way and tried to sleep.
 
~~~
 
Sleep really got the better of her, and she drifted off, dreamless and comfortable.
 
Time passed, and by the time she woke up, it was dark outside, and she could she the ocean bellow them,

She loved the ocean, but she had never seen it at night, and never saw how the moon contrasted on the waters waves, illuminating them, like silver rolls and streams.
 
`Beautiful.' Renae thought as she looked out the corner her window, pressing her hand against the cold glass.
 
“Did we enjoy our sleep miss?” Renae practically jumped out of her skin as she heard a voice behind her. The woman with the sapphire eyes just stared at her.
 
“Um..uhhh. Oh, yes. Yes I did thank you.” Renae said, trying hard to steady her rapidly beating heart. Hammering against her chest in fear, as it tried to steady itself.
 
“I'm glad you're enjoying your flight, we will be descending in Hokkaido soon, so please pack away any loose articles and prepare for landing.” She said with a calm tone, well, calm, yet tired.
 
Renae did as she was told and packed her music player again, her shoes that she had slipped off earlier, were placed back on, and the tray she put down was clicked back into the compartment at the back of the chair in front of her.
 
And if the beginning of the flight annoyed the hell out of her, imagine the pain in her face when the screech of the wheels when the plane touched the ground. The agonizing pain hit her eardrums a lot harder than it did when they took off. The dieing sound of the engines eased the pain slightly, but now they were ringing.
 
Shaking the ringing clear, Renae stood up and stretched, feeling the muscles expand and loosen a bit, and hearing her bones crack. Ahh, a sound of loosening tense.
 
Bending over, she grabbed her bags and stepped out into the walkway, being careful with the passing people. Damn talk about snooty people. One actually jabbed her in the shoulder, in her side, and an old guy whacked her in the back of her knee with his cane.
 
“Move it missy, I swear, kids these days have no respect. No respect at all.” He said. His breath heavy with beer and tobacco.
 
`Crazy old man. Who the hell does he think he is, giving me orders like that?' She thought as she watched the man plow through the group of people in front of them.
 
Renae brushed her hair back once more, making sure she had a tight grip on the top of her head; running her fingers through the loose soft dark brown locks, and resecuring it tightly back atop her head.
 
Adjusting her shoulder strap to a more comfortable spot, the feeling of it going numb was rankling her.
 
Stepping lively and quickly, she hated being where she was and wanted to get off as soon as possible.
 
Too many smells and too many people crowded her at the door. It's funny how ten or twenty people can do this.
 
Her patience was thinning as the people refused to walk faster. `Damn it, come on people we don't have all day.' She thought. She pressed her tongue against her fang like tooth to keep her quiet.
 
She had no idea what time it was, but considering it was dark out side, it must be either late at night or early in the morning.
 
Renae was finally capable of walking out of the door way though, some people were still left jammed. Walking down the aisle just as she did back at home, and stepping into the airport, everything opened up.
 
This airport was definitely bigger than home. The gates were big and there were a lot of people in their lines, most were getting ready for boarding while others slept peacefully in their chairs in front of the huge windows.
 
Speaking of, Renae walked over to them and looked at the city of Hokkaido. The city itself was huge, decorated with bright lights in every window of the skyscrapers and buildings. Though the beauty it still possessed made it very calming. The lakes and trees that surrounded the airport were reflecting the moon, just as the waves in the oceans had flying over.
 
“Wow, Hana wasn't kidding when she said that this place was one of the most desirable places to come too. Can do without all the people though.”
 
“So I take it, you're Renae.” A voice came up behind her, again, making her scream and jump out of her skin.
 
“Will you people stop sneaking up on me like that? Man I'm gonna have a heart attack by the end of the day.” Renae replied closing her eyes and holding a hand to her heart, once again, trying to steady the rapid beating against her ribcage.
 
The woman chuckled at Renae's antics, “But yes. I am Renae.” She let her eyes skim over the woman. Black hair that hung at her mid back. A fine physique that matched Hana's. And yeah even she had the same violet eyes Hana did, “You must be Kyoko, correct?” She asked.
 
“Did Hana tell you I was coming?” Kyoko asked.
 
“She said not who was coming, but said that someone would meet me at the gate when I landed.”
 
“I see. Well, come along now, I have the car running and my husband is waiting, too.” Kyoko said, and turned her heel, walking to the doors to the outside.
 
Renae bent down once more to pick up the bag she had rested on the ground, left undisturbed at her feet, and followed Kyoko outside.
 
Greeted by the sliding doors, like in every airport. Stepping out into the Japanese air, but the difference was the cold nippy air that also greeted her naked legs. For a large city such as this, the air was strangely cleaner, but the Japanese were usually clean.
 
Renae looked up at the tall buildings and skyscrapers, `Amazing.'

”Step lively Renae, we have people waiting for us back at home.” Kyoko yelled over her shoulder when she noticed Renae had stopped.
 
“Hmmm, oh. Right. Coming.” Was Renae's reply, as she ran up to Kyoko's side.
 
Once there, she whistled and waved. A pair of car lights lit up and drove over. Kyoko reached over and gently grabbed the bag that hung at Renae's shoulder. Which she reluctantly handed over. Kyoko smiled and walked over to the trunk, as it popped open, she set it inside and closed the hatch. A clicking sound signified that the hatch was closed all the way.
 
Kyoko waved her hand signaling her to get in, Renae grabbed the latch to the side door, and opened it.
 
The car seemed small, but the interior made it seem so huge. Fine white leather, lined with cherry wood and gold trimmings. The knobs on the inside were shaped like golden leaves. Renae took a seat behind the passenger side.
 
In the drivers seat, a man sat. Brown hair, in a fine sheen and perfect lines and black eyes that seemed like black holes.
 
“Why hello there. My name is Yosuke. Kyoko's husband, and the little girl next to you is our daughter, Akane.” He said, his voice deep and seducing.
 
Renae smiled, and leaned over the car seat that sat next to her. Looking at the baby girl sleeping, “Oh, she's so cute.” She said, he eye's gleaming with adoration.
 
“Thank you.” Kyoko said with a smile as she stepped in on her side of the car.
 
Renae could hear Yosuke shift the car from park to drive, the feeling of the car jolt slightly, was no surprise to her. The drive was a lot smoother than her mom's huge Tahoe back home. And out of the whole trip here, now was the first time ever looking at the clock. Practically two in the morning, “Are you sure this was no problem for you? I mean its so early in the morning.”
 
Kyoko, looked over the seat and down on Renae's solemn visage. She smiled, “It's not a problem at all. Don't worry about it. Ok?”
 
Renae nodded, then she realized that she was still tired, obvious that she didn't sleep as well as she though she did.
 
No sooner that she closed her eyes, the car shut off, and the light above her turned on, blinding her momentarily. The sound of the car doors opening and shutting and reopening could be heard. Renae did the same and stepped out of the car.
 
Kyoko had set her bag in her hands and led her up the trail of stairs that led to the house. Another thing entered Renae's mind, the house they lived in was a part of a shrine.

Taking a step at a time, she took it slow, not wanting to strain herself. She wasn't used to stairs, though considering the amount of exercise she got back at home. She was exhausted by the second flight. Renae was surprised to see that Kyoko, even with her child in the cradle in her hand, already at the top waiting for her.
 
She could feel her legs pulsing, but pushed the sentiment aside. Trying to look strong for her foster family. Even in the dark, Yosuke could see that her face was turning red, and whispered something in his wife's ear. Pulling back she nodded, and handed him the baby and continued to stand at the top of the stairs, her hands folded in front.
 
It didn't take Renae as long as she thought to get to the top. But now her legs were shaking.
 
Kyoko smiled, “why don't we go inside, and have you unpacked and settled in. We have a room prepared for you.”
 
Renae smiled back sweetly, and nodded. Kyoko stood to the side and let Renae look around the shrine grounds.
 
A simple house in the back. And out in the yard, stood a large tree. That tree was the first thing Renae went to. Intrigued by its great size, and old age. She stood in front of it. While Kyoko went into the house she heard the doors open and close as she went in.
 
Renae wasn't focusing on any sounds. Around the tree stood a white picket fence, sacred papers were strung around the trunk of the tree. And a smooth wood that laid beneath it, a scar from ancient past. That's what Hana told her. The gentle breeze swirled around her, moving the branches within the giant tree. The sound of the leaves moving and the boughs bending to natures silent lullaby. Renae focused on nothing else but this giant beauty in front of her. What was it about nature that always put her in, well… peace?
 
A figure stood in the doorway, looking at her back as she admired the sacred tree. The person walked up behind her, and watched as she stepped over the fence and rubbed her hand against the smoothness of the bark, she heard a twig snap, and spun her head to see the person that had accompanied her. Looking over her shoulder, she could scarcely see the persons face. Though she could tell it was a man. Age, well… she couldn't tell. He was tall enough to be considered a full grown man.
 
He walked over to the side, to a low branch where a paper lantern hung. Digging into his pocket, he pulled out a lighter and lit it, bringing the flame to light it.
 
His face was clearly seen. He looked a lot like Hana and Kyoko, except for a few silver streaks in his hair, so this must be Yuki. He really was handsome, his facial expression exactly like Hana's, boyish charm present on his face. His body was skinny but well built. The muscles on his arms stood out nicely, not to big but not small at all. So he worked out, and didn't over do it like most of the steroid takers back home. His violet eyes shown with so many barriers around them, like he didn't have a single person in the world he could trust. But he still smiled at her, gentle and sweet.
 
By looking at his face, she saw a few faded scars on his face, with her strong sense of sight I uses no one could see them easily without really looking. Some may have found this to be disgusting, but not to her, `Ahh, what the hell am I thinking? Get your mind out of the gutters and stop staring at him like an idiot. Damn it.' She thought shaking her head to clear the unwanted thoughts that ran through her mind a moment ago.
 
You, must be Renae. I've read a lot about you.” He said, emphasizing the word `you'. His smile still present, but the gaze he held, well… he seemed so alone.
 
“Ya, that's me. And you must be Yuki.” She said as she tried to step over the fence again, and extended her hand for his, which he took. Staring at him in the face instead of looking at him from the side, he seemed a lot taller. And his grip was strong, too. Not that she minded, her grip was just as strong, if she wanted it so.
 
He was the first guy she met outside of family that was actually taller than her. What was he, ehh… about 6'1? With her being one of the tallest girls in the school, it wasn't very easy to find a guy of his stature, and charm.
 
He released her hand and wrapped it around her shoulder in a friendly manner, “So lets go inside and get you settled in.”

At first, Renae was nervous, but it quickly diminished, the feeling of sleep replacing it. She brought her hand up to her face and covered her mouth to yawn. So she swasn't focusing on the ground, and she tripped over a rather large rock. She would have fallen right on her face had the boy next to her let her fall all the way. He had caught her mid way from the ground, his strong sturdy grip around her waist was secure.
 
“You had a long trip, I'll show you to your room, don't worry about a thing.” He said, his voice deep, but gentle. But the thing that surprised Renae, was when he picked her up bridal style to carry her to her room, she practically squealed. Considering she wasn't the lightest girl in the bunch and not exactly the skinniest, but he picked her as if she were a feather.
 
He looked down at her quizzical face, and raised a black brow, “What you lookin' at?”
 
She blushed, and tilted her head down a bit, her bangs covering part of her eyes, “I'm not heavy?”

His eyes widened, and he suppressed a chuckle, “Not at all.” He said flatly.
 
She looked up at him, with wide eyes and smiled.