Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ A Trip Worth Taking ❯ Life in a New World ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: Life in a New World
 
Yuki brought her inside, passing his sister and brother-in-law, and into her room. To her sight, all her belongings were already inside. All her luggage waited for her to unpack.
 
The room itself was twice as big as her room back at home, but the walls were all bare. Along the border of the wall, a line of lavender petals were strewed all the way across. A few matching dressers and desk, a bed, and a closet that could make any girl happy adorned in the room.
 
It was a nice, comfortable room. On the bed, a lavender and white bed set sat folded on the end. On the far wall, a window with lavender drapes laid open. The ruffles of the drapes flowed with the gentle breeze.
 
Renae smiled inwardly. A moment or two past and she looked down at the ground then at Yuki in the corner of her eye with a narrowed playful gaze, “You … um, can put me down now.”

”Huh? Oh… ya sorry.” He said with an apologetic tone and set her down. “I'll go now so you can, well, you know. Good night.” He finished as he walked out the door and gave her one last smile.
 
She giggled and smiled, “Good night.” She said quietly, as he closed the door.
 
`He's sweet. But what's with all the scars?' She thought.
 
`Same reason why you do maybe?' She argued with herself
 
Renae pursed her lips together, then reached for the scar on her neck. She shook the thought out and tackled the first suitcase. Taking the shirts and shorts and folding them into piles. Setting them into the drawers. Grabbing some more clothes and set them on the hangers in the over sized closet. Pulling out some sweats and doing the same.
 
She pulled and set all her clothes away, except for a long silk white night gown, reaching her ankles. A few mementos of home, like stuffed animals and family pictures she had set on her bed and dressers.
 
At the bottom of the last bag she pulled out her laptop and set it on the desk. One last picture of her friends was set next to it. The feeling of homesickness washed through her again as she fingered her picture frame, but she knew that she'd be just fine.
 
~~
 
“So how is our guest?” Kyoko asked Yuki as he came down the steps of the two-story home.
 
He looked at his sister, “She seems alright, just tired, just figured to leave her alone till she got some well deserved rest.” He said as he headed into the kitchen, going into one cabinet and grabbing a packet of ramen.
 
Filling it with water, and putting it into the microwave. His distant stare still planted on his face, Kyoko always worried about her little brother, she stared at him with a concerned look, “So what do you think about her? You two seemed to like each other, considering you carried her to her room.” She snickered at the second sentence.
 
Yuki blushed, but didn't face her, “I don't know what you're talking about. She was tired and looked like she was going to collapse. And she kind of did.”

He kept his cool, suddenly the microwave beeped, letting him know his food was done.
 
“And besides, there is no way in hell I'm gonna fall for another damn American. I've already learned my lesson.” He said looking out the window perched next to the microwave, looking through his own eyes in his reflection.
 
“Yuki, I honestly don't think she's like Sam.” Kyoko said, she saw his fists clench on the marble counter top. Now a days he hated that name, and every time it was mentioned, a pulse ran through him.
 
He ignored what she said, and went into the drawer, and pulled out a pair of chopsticks and ate the food he prepared. And he remained silent. Kyoko shook her head and walked away, seeing no point in trying to talk to him, when he won't listen.
 
`All Americans are the same, feh. But she seems nice… what the hell am I talking about, Sam seemed nice too, and see where she put you, you baka.'
 
He sighed and looked up the stairs, throwing away the empty bowl from his ramen away, and headed to his own room. Right across the hall from Renae's.
 
He stared at her closed door for a minute, remembering what had taken place outside. Remembering the scars on her face like he had on his own, `Maybe… just maybe… she knows how I feel.' Was his final thought before entering his room and closing the door gently behind him.
 
~Morning~
 
Morning was definitely brighter than it was at home, or maybe that was because she didn't face the sunrise.
 
Renae slept well, compared to her sleep on the plane. She felt much better. Renae got up from her bed and opened the window she had closed last night. Feeling a gust of wind pass her, making her shiver, still being winter and all.
 
She rubbed her bare arms and marveled the sight before her, snow. The ground was completely white, everything was like that. She looked around and saw Kyoko sitting on the bench that sat near the sacred tree.
 
Another passed by her, causing her dress to flutter around her a few inches, she could feel the drapes gaze her skin so slightly, sending shivers up her spine.
 
A knock came from her door, “Yes, come in.” She said over her shoulder, as Yuki entered her room, the smile that had graced her last night was not there now.
 
“Oh, good. You're up, I was just about to come get you for breakfast, you still need to meet my parents.” He said, though his face may not be gentle, his voice was.
 
`I will not fall for that again. I've learned my lesson, and I will not fall for him.' She thought, keeping a strict face.
 
Yuki was holding the doorknob until she walked passed him, then he let go to let her pass. He watched her as she threw on a thin robe and walk out the door and down the steps.
 
They both came down stairs, Kyoko reading the newspaper and sipping her tea. She removed her eyes from the paper, to look at the couple coming down.
 
`Hmm, this is different.' She thought as she noticed how they didn't act like they did last night. She shrugged it off and brought her face back to her place on the paper.
 
Renae sat down at the table and looked around the kitchen, a good size for at least a family of four. This one was the same as it was in her own home, at least here, she felt at home. Yuki sat at the end next to her, though he not once glanced at her.
 
The sound of another door was heard at the end of the hall. A woman with high back length hair, perfectly braided, thin rimmed black glasses and grey work skirt and matching top came down the flight of stairs so easily with her black heels. This woman seemed so young, she could be their sister as well.
 
The woman, once she saw Renae, smiled, “Forgive me, I was not able to meet you last night, but by the time you got here my husband and I had fallen asleep.”

”Mrs. Himeno.” Renae said as she stood to greet her, as she pulled Renae into a spine crushing hug, `Oh, god. She's worse than aunt Tam. Well, at least now I feel more at home.' She thought as she returned the hug.
 
“It's Mama Himeno to you.” She gave Renae a wink. “Itsumademo, our guest is awake; will you not come down to greet her?”
 
“Yes, yes. I'll be down in just a moment, my dear.” A voice came from upstairs.
 
Within minutes, just as he said, Itsumademo came down, wearing a business suit. Renae took a good look at this man, and realized that he didn't look like the kids at all. He was an older man, but still looked young, and looked Japanese, not American.
 
He caught Renae's gaze, knowing what question ran through her head, “I am not their real father.”

She gasped, “I'm sorry I didn't mean any thing by it.” Renae bowed her head in shame.
 
He walked up to her and put a hand on her's, to reassure her that no harm has been done.
“Well, we have to get to work. We'll be back by supper. Yuki, why don't you show her around town. I think she'll like that.” His mother said with a wink, then she and his dad disappeared.
 
Yuki sighed and stood up, “You really don't have to.” Renae said, fiddling with her fingers in her lap. Looking at the tiled floor under her feet.
 
He stood in the door way, her words stopping him, but then trekked his way out of the room. Renae sighed and fixed her robe as she stood, and walked upstairs,
 
She went into the pants she had worn the night before, and looked at the time on the alarm clock on her desk.
 
`Huh, only eight in the morning.' Strange how she's never up this early on vacation. Maybe her body was still getting used to the time zone here. She went to the back pocket where her phone still sat after her flight.
 
Turning it on, she had no messages, good, she thought. Since Japan was only 14 hours or so ahead, it should be about six in the evening back at home.
 
She dialed the number to the house, and brought it to her ear. She could hear the phone dialing and dial tone pick up shortly after. She waited a minute or so, before someone picked up.
 
She was greeted by Tony, “Hello?”

”Tony?”

”Oh, hey sis. How was your flight, did you land safely?” He asked.
 
“Yeah I got here alright, I got here late last night and fell asleep when I got to the house. How are things back home?” She asked him.
 
“Things are going just fine. Though mom has been kind of upset since you left. I think she misses you. Nick does for sure.”
 
“Send them my love for me, ok? Is mom home?”

”No, she left to take Nick to the dentist. I'm about to head out to sis, a friend wants me to come over to study with him for his summer school tests. If he don't pass, he takes summer school.”
 
“Oh, well I wish him the best.”

”I'll tell him you said that.”

”And just tell mom I called.”

”Will do, sorry I can't talk longer. I'll talk to you later sis. Bye.”
“Bye bro.” She hung up her phone and set it on the charger, the battery dying quickly.