Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ A Trip Worth Taking ❯ Accustoms and New Things ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4. Accustoms and New Things
 
At least a week had gone by since Renae had been in Japan. Though she hasn't left the house often. Learning about the school she would attend and the route to get there.
 
Its funny, how Yuki was so sweet to her when she first met him, now he totally ignored her, or when ever he did talk to her, he acted like he hated her. Top of Renae's head, she didn't do anything, did she?
 
Here she was in Kyoko's childhood room on her bed. Sitting down with her left foot on the bed, bent at the knee and the other dangled and rested on the floor, her left arm drapped over her knee, and resting back on the right. Everything in there was left untouched during her absence in the house, for her own life. She was raiding her closet, looking for clothes that may fit Renae. Awkward how she was the same size at one point and on, sure Renae was a large size, but not fat. At the age of sixteen, Renae had stopped growing at the height of 5' 8, and well, she was skinny. Kyoko, had been the same size, and she knew her clothes would not go to waste.
 
“Found it, finally.” She said as she stood in front of her closet, her back to Renae. She had told her that she still had her high school uniform, and wanted Renae to try it on.
 
Renae got off the bed and walked over to her side, putting her elbow on her shoulder, and looked at the skimpy outfit.
It was a green sailor top and a matching green pleated skirt, looking like it would come too high on her thighs than she had hoped.
 
“Ya… um… I don't think so. There is no way in hell, I'm gonna wear something that short.” Renae said, waving her hands in the air, before crossing them at her chest.
 
“Renae onegai, this is the dress code. You have to wear it. Come on its not that bad, and you totally have the legs for it. Nice and long and slender and everything, you'd get all the boys attention.” She said as she wiggled her brows in a playful way, and waved the uniform in the air.
Renae sighed and turned around to snatch the attire from her hand. “I swear. If you laugh at me, I'll get you in your sleep.” She said as she removed the faded blue skinny jeans from her legs. Really showing Kyoko that she was right about them. Slender, strong and sleek. All the qualities that any boy would love to have on their girlfriend.
 
Renae had never worn a skirt before, but it was easy to put on, it was the fact that it was at least two or three inches above her fingertips. Again she sighed. Before crossing her arms at the hem of her navy blue jacket and pulled it up. Exposing the black tang top she wore underneath. Tossing the jacket on the bed, she tackled to the next article, doing the same with her shirt.
 
The plain white bra she wore under that, showed the perfect lines of her breasts, funny, how under all her clothes, Renae didn't look like she had a figure. Kyoko was wrong, and she had a perfect hour glass shape. A long torso and big hips that added curvature to her legs and waist.

Next, Renae grabbed the top shirt, and slipped it over her head. Kyoko looked at the sight before her. Renae was so uncomfortable in the short skirt, well, Kyoko didn't blame her. She felt the same way when she first had to wear it.
 
Just then there was a gentle knock on the door, “Yeah, come in.” Kyoko said, letting who ever it was that it was safe to come in.
 
Yuki stepped in and was a bout to ask his sister something, but stopped when he saw Renae looking exactly like a local here. Well that wasn't the only thing he was staring at, he was calm, but his face was getting red. Renae followed his line of gaze, down to her bare legs? She looked away from him, and put a hand on her hip, looking out the window. She was blushing as well. Kyoko knew exactly what was going on, a devilish smirk forming on her lips, “Hey Yuki, what do you think of her in your school outfit?” She asked him as she pulled him in, to stand in front of Renae. Kyoko left the room, someone was knocking on the front door.
 
He gulped and scratched the back of his head, Renae, not once looking over at him, but she did manage to look his way. But not once, looking at his face. He looked down at her, further down to see that she was playing with her fingers. She was obviously nervous, so was he.
 
`Come on, deep breaths, you can do it.' He thought to himself, and he squeezed his eyes and said, “You look nice.”

This gave Renae the confidence to look at him, “Really, do you think I'll fit in?” She asked, her blush darkening.
 
For the first time since the first night, he smiled, “Yeah. Just stick with me and you'll do just fine.” He set an assuring hand on her shoulder. And she rested her's over it, silently thanking him.
 
Well that was not to be believed with a whistle and an aw came from the door. They jumped away from each there and looked over.
 
A man, at their age with brown hair and black eyes, stood in the arms of another man, with brown hair and dirty blonde streaks hair, making goo goo eyes at each other. Both the same age. Oh, she got it now. They were mocking her and Yuki… `Hey that's not nice.' She thought.
 
“Aw, Yuki. I thought you said you weren't gonna fall for this girl. Though now I can see why you're having a hard time. She's kinda cute” The one with brown hair said, “Hey there sweet heart, I'm Takeshi and that guy behind me is Sei.” The guy behind him waved.
 
“You're sweet, really.” She said, feeling a little uncomfortable, not used to the kind of attention these boys were showing her. Yuki stepped in front of her, “Man, leave her alone. She's still trying to adjust here, and I don't need you two scaring her off.”

”Aw, you hear that Sei, he likes her.” Takeshi said with a smirk planted on his face. Yuki's eyes widened and blushed.
“Feh, whatever. Like I'd fall for someone like her.” He said as he looked off to the side and crossed his arms over his chest.

Renae glared coldly at him, “What the hell do you mean, someone like me, huh?” Her hands on her hips and her anger rising. This may not end well.
 
Sei and Takeshi just watched the battle carry out, backing out of the room slowly, but still watching.
 
“I think it would be best to wait for them down stairs.” Takeshi whispered in Sei's ear. He just nodded and headed over to the staircase.
 
“Well, look at you, you damn American.” He said strictly and harshly.
 
“So what if I am an American, huh? Man what have ever done to your sorry ass?” Fists balling at her side, she didn't understand him at all. He confused her, a lot. One minute he was nice to her, and then after his friends showed up and said something, he started to hate her again. It was as if they reminded him who, or what she really was… an American.
 
“It's all Americans in general. Got it?” He said facing her fully. She showed no sign of an expression change. Like as though she didn't care.
 
She was thanking the gods she learned how to keep her emotions in check and glad that he failed to see the light flinch she performed.
 
“Ok obviously you had some sort of bad relationship with an American, but gives you no right to take it out on all Americans you damn idiot.”

”And why the hell not, you have no idea what she put me through. And you're no better.” His heel turned and was about to walk out of the room, when she grabbed his shoulder, “So why are you taking it all out on me?”

”Cause you're exactly like her.” He stopped, yes, but now he didn't even look at her. She felt for the guy, she knew what it was like to go through a rough relationship. Renae let go of him and expected that he'd leave. He didn't.
 
Now he just stood in her door way, “What do you mean? I don't understand.” She was worried, she didn't want him to hate her, just because of the race.
 
“When she first came here, she was sweet and innocent to. But she changed too much.” He took off the deep red shirt he was wearing and exposed his back. In full view and sight, every scar and imperfection.
 
Now Renae fully understood, why he hated Americans, or at least part of the story, “How did you get all these scars?”

”When you're in the position I'm in, you get beat up pretty badly.”
“I know how that is, but did Americans do this to you?” Yuki looked back at her worried yet understanding face, probably the only expression he had seen on her close up so far, `Not even Sam looked at me like that, what's up with this girl?' He thought. He softened, “Please Yuki, you can trust me. I know I've only been here for a week, but, please I want us to be friends. I don't want you to hate me cause of race.”

He sighed, “Sam was my first girlfriend, and my last. Americans didn't do this to me. She constantly got into fights, and I got pulled in. She always wanted me to protect her, so that's what I did. These scars are from her fights.”

”You would willingly fight someone's fight if she asked? That's terrible, only if someone couldn't, they should never ask for help. Asking to do ones work, shows no honor.” Renae said.
 
“Your ex picked the fights but you're the one that suffered, while she got away. Right?” She finished.
 
Yuki said nothing, just stared at the ground. Then he felt a pressure on his shoulder, and looked back up at her face, one full of understanding and reassurance, “But no matter what happens, I will never do that to you. You have my word, and I take my word very seriously.” She smiled assuringly. And walked out the door, as he just stared with wide eyes at her back as she left, `Maybe she's different after all.'
 
~~

Renae came down stairs back in her original clothes, once reaching the base, she headed to the kitchen, seeing that Takeshi and Sei sitting down at the table, chomping down on some ramen.
 
Takeshi looked up at her, “Hey there Renae. Everything work out with hot head up there?” He said as he passed her a cup of ramen. She mouthed a thank you and just stood there for a minute.

Renae looked down at the tiled floor, playing with the chopsticks in the cup, swirling the noodles between the wooden sticks, “I never realized how hard his life was when he was with Sam.”
 
Takeshi choked on his food and then looked at Sei, then back at her, “He told you about her?” She nodded.
 
“That bitch caused so much damage, not only to him, but to his friends too. He was with her so much; he had no time for us. We almost lost him, especially when his throat was slashed. By her hand even.” Takeshi said as he stood up and set his empty bowl and chopsticks in the sink.
 
Renae realized that she had a lot more to learn about this family than she thought. But when he mentioned the scar on Yuki's neck, she reached up and fingered her own, remembering what it was like to feel that kind of pain.
 
“Word of advice, if you ever come into crossing with Sam, don't tell her that you're living in Yuki's home. She'll kill you if she gets the chance.” Sei said from his place on the chair.
 
“Don't worry about me, I can handle my self. I've had my fair shares of fights.” Renae replied as she grabbed her upper arm and bent her elbow, showing them the muscle that was almost impossible for a girl to have, but when one like her exercise a lot that's what you get.
 
“Don't get too cocky, she'll find a way. She always does.” Takeshi said as he leaned on the white marble countertop.
 
That was when Yuki quietly walked into the kitchen, hearing pretty much everything, “Yuki? Man, you gonna be ok?” Sei asked as he got up from his chair and set a hand on his shoulder, “Yeah, I'm fine.”

Both of them looked at him with worried glares. But Renae had quickly slipped out and into the shrine grounds.
 
Walking around on the concrete, she eventually saw Mrs. Himeno, sitting on the bench that sat not far from the sacred tree.
 
“Mrs. Himeno.” Renae said as she stopped. Looking at the woman with interested eyes.

Mrs. Himeno looked up at her transfer child, and smiled, “Are you enjoying your time here so far?” She asked.
 
“Oh, yes. Yes I am. Thank you again for doing this.” Renae said sweetly and smiled.
 
Mrs. Himeno stood from the bench and walked over to the tree. She was wearing regular clothes, such as she had all week, except the first day they met. She worked on the shrine as its keeper, but had to go with her husband on his meeting, is why she was dressed so nicely that day, “My husband proposed to me under this tree. Every time I stand under it, my heart feels at peace. Have you ever felt that, Renae?” She asked.
 
“Afraid not, Mrs. Himeno.” Renae replied. Renae rubbed her hands together, now very thankful that she changed before coming outside. The snow was starting to fall, but justa few, and it looked more like rain. They were cold to the touch and immediately melted on her heated touch.
 
Mrs. Himeno stood up and placed a hand on the one that was in the air, and brought it down into both of her's, “You will,” She said, then she smirked and alleged, “And how many times have I told you to call me mama?” She smiled and walked away, letting go of Renae's hand and walking into the house.
 
She watched her foster mother take refuge into the warm house. Renae did not really mind the cold; strangely she had never been in the snow before as she just stared back up at the gray night sky.
 
January was a cold time for Japan, but only mildly like this back home. Had Renae's hair been down, it may have kept her warmer. But back home, she never wore it down, as it always got in the way, whether she was in class or P.E. or even in the middle of her constant fights. Eventually it became a habit, and was now always up, people have grown accustom to seeing her no other way.
 
Her hazel eyes were now greener. They had always changed eyes on her mood, and were normally green on various occasions, sleepy, frustrated or whenever she got out of the pool, so mainly when the whites of her eyes were red.
 
The commotion that was going on inside had made her feel awkward. Between Yuki and his friends, so outside was the next best thing. She closed her eyes and breathed in the frozen water air. Crisp and gentle, unlike home, left polluted and smoggy. A small smile presented across her full red lips.
 
Hearing a snap of a twig behind her, she looked over her shoulder, now getting accustomed to having people say something when she wasn't aware of them being there.
 
“So you're Renae, aren't you?” A girl's voice rang through the air, she had black hair and a small face, as well as a small body clothed in black and blue sweats and carrying a matching umbrella, she was pretty, “I'm Haruka, Takeshi's girlfriend.” She smiled.
 
Renae turned the full her way, and smiled back. Though Hana had failed to mention her brother's friends and relationships she'd have to find out on her own.
 
“Nice to meet you, if you're looking for Takeshi, he's inside with Sei and Yuki.” She said.
 
“Why not come inside as well, it's certainly warmer in there than it is out here.” She exclaimed.
 
“I do not mind the cold, don't fret about me.” She said as she looked away from the girl, who merely shrugged and walked in the house.