Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Ai no Natsu ❯ Vol. 3, Chap. 14: Break Down ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Break Down
*Dustin*
I hate this. She always hurts my heart. Hallie never notices me. This isn’t the first time this has happened. I’ve been rejected before and it sucks. I tried to be strong in the past. This time won’t work.
I lowered my head on the table. Hallie. She’s… Let’s see. Well… Hallie’s certainly different. She won’t be nice and quiet. More of a city girl. But…
I shut my eyes.
I can’t form the right words. All I know is that I like her. Can’t understand why. She won’t notice me. That’s the part that hurts.
The party’s gotten better—sort of. Hallie and Evie fonded over the new guy. That’s the story of my life. I’m just the starter boyfriend until the girl finds something better. Why can’t I be the better choice?
My hand curled into fists.
It’s not fair! I can’t take this! I should be loved! I should have a girlfriend. I should… I should have Hallie! Grrr! I should have Hallie, damn it! I should have her!
I paused as I noticed everyone staring at me. I drew my mouth closed as I lowered my head.
“Okay…” I mumbled. “I’m just going to step out now.” I stood up and walked out of there as fast as I could.
It’s worse than junior high. I left Texas to clear my head. The problem was a girl that time too. She was my ideal girl. Sweet, made me laugh, good old country girl at heart. I had a crush on her for years. But, I never had the courage to tell her.
Finally last month on graduation day, I told her how I felt. Do you know what she said?
“Aw, Dustin. I like you, but I don’t like you in that way. But, we can still be friends.”
I sank into a black hole after that. I didn’t do much in the beginning of the summer. I just hid in my room. I wouldn’t even eat. She rejected me. There it was again. Shot down, forever alone. She was my eighth one too. Why does this always happen to me?
Dad enrolled me in the summer study aboard program to “fix” me. I didn’t get the idea at first. Why would another country heal a broken heart? But, I did it to make him happy. His cure actually worked. I really cheered up within three days. But then, I met Hallie.
I met Hallie. I met Hallie and now it’s happening all over again.
I hung my head and shook it.
No! I can’t let this happen again! I’m tired of losing! I won’t lose again! I will make Hallie mine, damn it! Damn it! Damn it! I deserve to win this time!
But then, I paused.
Who am I kidding? I’m just going to be stuck as the loser forever!
That’s when I saw her…
I’m a Loser, Baby