Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Ai no Natsu ❯ Vol. 6, Chap. 34: Air Field ( Chapter 34 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Air Field

“Okay,” Hallie spoke up. “Where are we going? What's so important that you have to pull me away from my game?” Dustin gave her a monkey-like grin.

“You'll see in a second,” he said.

“Why can't you tell me now?” she asked.

“You don't want to ruin the surprise, do you?” the cowboy asked. Hallie tilted her head at him.

“Surprise?” she asked. “What surprise?” He kissed her on the tip of her noise.

“You'll see when we get there,” Dustin insisted. He continued down to the bus stop. Hallie gave him an odd look.

“Okay then,” she mumbled. The couple boarded the first bus to pull up. Dustin smiled at the passing scenery.

“This is nice,” he said. “You and I together like this.”

“Uh-huh,” Hallie muttered. Earlier, she was in the middle of a boss fight when Dustin called her away.

“Hey, Hallie,” he told her over the phone. “Want to come out with me today?” Hallie mashed the keys on the controller as fast as she could.

“Why?” she asked.

“I want to show you something,” he said.

“Can't it wait?” she asked.

“No!” the cowboy insisted. “You have to see this!” Hallie sighed over the phone.

“Fine,” she grumbled.

“You won't regret it!” Dustin promised. Hallie frowned as she saved her game.

-------

The bus stopped just outside of Tokyo. Dustin led Hallie off at the stop.

“Come with me,” he said.

“Okay, okay,” Hallie replied with her hands in the air. He led her down a narrow dirt road.

“Watch your step,” Dustin warned her. “It rained here last night. So, the path's a bit slippery.” His feet slid along the slick mud, but he managed to catch himself.

“I can see that,” Hallie said. The cowboy put on a brave face as he turned to her with a peace sign.

“I'm fine!” Dustin said. “We should get going. It's going to start in thirty minutes!”

“What's going to start in thirty minutes?” Hallie asked. The cowboy dragged her further down the path instead of answering.

“Dustin!” Hallie shouted. “Slow down!”

The couple made it to a chain fence. Dustin felt around on the crossed metal. Hallie watched as he took slow steps to the side.

“What are you doing?” she asked.

“Come on,” the cowboy muttered to himself. “Where are you? I know I found you last time. Come out and show yourself.”

“What are you talking about?” the tomboy asked. Dustin froze with a grin on his face.

“Bingo!” he shouted. The cowboy stood up and turned around. “Welcome to my free space,” he said. Hallie blinked at him with an odd look on her face.

“Okay…” she mumbled. The cowboy unlocked the gate and pushed it open.

“Come madam,” he said. Dustin walked through with his hands out. Hallie dropped her shoulders and followed behind. The cowboy closed the gate behind her.

“Just a little bit further,” he told her. Hallie frowned at him.

“This is turning out to be a total pain,” she muttered under her breath. Dustin held out his hand to her. She raised an eyebrow at him.

“Really, dude?” she asked.

“I don't want you to get lost,” Dustin insisted. “Just take my hand.” He blushed as he said that. Hallie rolled her eyes at him. She grabbed his hand and told her into the woods.

Fifteen minutes later, they came to an empty field. Dustin stopped in the middle.

“Here we are,” he said. His date looked around with a blank face.

“Now what?” she asked. Dustin flopped back on the grass, pulling Hallie down with him.

“Whoa!” she shouted beside him. “What the--?!”

“Behold,” he said in a low voice. She looked up at the big sky.

“Three… Two… One,” Dustin counted down. Hallie's eyes caught a jet ripping through the sky.

“Is that…?” she asked.

“Yes,” he replied. “Keep watching.” Three more jets joined the lone one. All four dipped into formation. Two flew west while the other two flew east. One circled in the middle while the other three flew towards it. The center one spiraled upwards. All four flew in a square. The shapes turned into a diamond, heart, triangle, and another square. Hallie's eyes glowed with a big smile.

“What is this?” she asked.

“The air field,” Dustin replied. “Every day at three, the military do their air drills out here.” He turned to her with a huge grin. “Neat, huh?” he asked.

“Uh-huh,” Hallie said. Dustin gently held her hand. He gently whispered his love to her. However, there was just one problem. Hallie looked at him glaring.

“Who the fuck is Serena?!” she barked. The cowboy looked at her with big eyes.

“I'm sorry,” Dustin said. “I… I…” Hallie rose to feet in rage.

“I am not some replacement doll for your ex!” she shouted.

“Hallie, wait!” Dustin shouted, sitting up as she walked away. Hallie flipped him off as she disappeared down the path. Dustin flopped back in despair. What did I go and do that for? Damn it!

Why Don't You Kill Me?