Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Ai no Natsu ❯ Vol. 9, Chap. 52: Sound the Alarm ( Chapter 52 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sound the Alarm

Hallie still didn't have an answer for her future. Stuck, she had only one option. She cursed herself when it donned on her. Why did I have to do this? Still, she knocked on Choko's office door.

“Choko!” Hallie shouted. “Choko! You in there? We need to talk!” She stepped back when the door opened. Choko poked her head out.

“Yeah?” she asked. Hallie shifted in place. She dreaded saying this at all.

“I need some advice,” she said at last.

“Oh?” Choko asked, raising an eyebrow. Hallie pressed her lips together.

“Dad called a little while back,” she said. “And…”

“And?”

“He told me that I have to go to school or get a job or he's kicking me out.”

Choko's face dropped. “Oh…”

Hallie pressed her lips together, nodding. “Yeah.”

Her aunt narrowed her eyes. “Let me guess, you're stuck on what to do.”

“Yeah.”

“And you need my help?”

“Yes.”

Her aunt broke into a huge smile. “Come inside.” Hallie sighed and dropped her shoulders. I have choice. She followed her aunt into the office.

---------

“Tell me everything your father said,” Choko said at her desk. Hallie took a seat in front of her.

“Basically said pick out your future or you're out on the streets,” she said.

“Ooo, that's bad.”

“Yep.”

“So what do you want to do?”

Hallie frowned. “I have no idea.”

“That's not good.”

“Yes, I know.”

“So… what exactly are you asking of me?”

“Help me out.”

“How?”

“I don't know!” Hallie buried her head in her hands. “I'm screwed, aren't I?”

“Not just yet.”

Her niece lifted her head. “Huh?”

“How many days before summer's over?”

Hallie did a quick count up in her head. “About a week, maybe?”

Choko whistled. “You have to get to it.” She paused when she heard groaning. “What?”

“You aren't helping!” Hallie complained. Her aunt shrugged.

“I can't really decide your future for you. That's something you'll have to do on your own.”

Hallie dropped her head on the desk. “Gee, thanks!”

“Sorry, that's just how it is.”

Her niece sighed and rolled upwards, staring at the ceiling. Her facial expression reminded her of something.

“Although,” Choko said. “I do have one suggestion for you to check out.”

Hallie lifted her head. “What?” Her aunt opened the drawer and reached inside.

“This isn't much,” she said. “But it should help.” The woman slid the card over to her niece. Hallie picked it up and read it with an eyebrow raised.

“Recruitment office?” she asked. “What is this?”

“Oh, just a little something for back-up.”

“Back-up? What are--?”

Choko put her finger to her lips. “Don't talk, just do it. But only after the party.”

Hallie stared blankly at her. “Party? What party?”

Her aunt smiled. “Just a little end of summer bash. It's happening tonight.” She put up her hand. “Don't talk, act.” Her niece stared at her with big eyes. Uh… okay then…

Cold was the Storm