Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Butterflies & The Net ❯ Chapter 5: Hmmm...okay...uh huh...riiiiiiight... ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Theme Music for this chapter: Amrita: Yui Makino, Hitotsudake: CCS Complete Vocal Collection (cardcaptorredeemer.com RAWKS!), Asunaro Ginga: ionno the singer, Kazemachi Jet: Yui Machino, and Kaze no Machi he: dunno who sings it (and too lazy to do a Wikipedia search).  I'm feeling mushy and squishy today—could be the heat.  LOL!
 
A/N:  Did you all just wanna pinch me good at the end of the last chapter?  Well, if so, please, I implore you to cease and desist.  `Cause you see, I'm light-skinned and I bruise easily.  And, in the immortal words of Daffy Duck, I'm not like most people—pain hurts me.  On with the show…
 
 
Chapter 5: Hmmmm…okay…uh huh…riiiiiiight
 
`Warm…this feels niiiiiiiice…'
 
Snuggling into the warmth of Jerrod's arm wrapped around her back, his breath ghosting over her eyelashes, the feel of his chest rising against hers and the subtle heartbeat than nearly matched her own, Solya smiled.  Cracking her eyes, she lifted her eyes to look on his face and sighed inwardly—blissfully.
 
`This is a good way to start the day—oh wow…  I feel asleep holding his hand again,' she noted as the warmth of his palm on hers registered in her in her mind.
 
Lifting his hand to her lips, she gently kissed his knuckles then loosened his hand to lie on her cheek.  Twining their fingers once again, she returned their joined hand to the space between them.
 
`I love this.'
 
Letting her eyes drift closed again, she allowed the Warm Fuzzies to permeate her very being and took pleasure in the security and care that Jerrod always showed to her alone. 
 
She could be feminine—if she felt comfortable enough to show her “soft side”—but these moments of open vulnerability were reserved for PB, her father, and occasionally Dr. Busch.
 
Easy was the flow, she reasoned, with her being her father's “Little Sunshine”; she'd never needed to put up a wall with him.  He wasn't always the most elaborate or eloquent with stating expressions of affection, but she could feel it down to her toes that her Daddy loved her no matter what.
 
With her therapist, it was strained to start.  Knowing she needed help and being willing to open her self up to aid in getting said help were two vastly different things.  But, with Dr. Busch's uncanny knack for making her patients utterly comfortable and almost on what felt like a friend's level, she earned her trust and eventually got to know quite a great deal about her.
 
But, an even deeper and more tightly entwined bond in her mind was Jerrod.  She could never explain why or what he did what he did to her, but he'd had her at her barest, most genuine, from day one. 
 
Feeling cheesy for even contemplating it, she almost slipped up and laughed. 
 
`My hero—hah.  Where's your cape, PB?'
 
It felt so regular and common laying there wrapped up in his embrace she almost sighed in contentment.  Reaching up slightly, she gave him a gentle, just-barely-there kiss on his chin.
 
“I…I—thank you,” she whispered, humbled all the more.
 
She felt like she could cry but didn't understand why, exactly.  Shaking that odd thought from her mind, she began singing a song in her head, not realizing that she was starting to hum aloud, nor did she notice Jerrod waking up and smiling down at her.
 
./'  Thank you for being a friend
./'  Traveled down the road and back again
./'  Your heart is true.  You're a pal and a…a…hum, hum, hummmm…
 
By the middle of song, Jerrod was awake, smiling down on her and humming along softly. 
 
`I wonder if she has all the words right, this time,' Jerrod queried absently as he continued humming along with a smirk.
 
./'  And if you threw a party, you invited everyone you knew
./'  You would see the biggest gift would be for me
./'  And the card inside would say `Thank you for being a friend'
 
Laughing inside as he realized she was humming the extended version, he joined back in.
 
./'  And if you threw a party, you invited everyone you knew
./'  You would see the biggest gift would be for me
./'  And the card inside…no…attached would say `Thank you for being a friend'
 
He rubbed a couple fingers up and down the middle of her back and awaited her response with no small amount of humor. 
 
`Wonder if she's gonna back flip out the bed when she realizes I'm awake…only one way to find out.'  Repressing an amused chuckle, he greeted her.
 
“Good Morning, Sol,” he whispered softly, rubbing his thumb over her palm.
 
Startled, she jumped and blushed, automatically preparing to leap from his hold.  He tightened his hold fractionally and smiled down at her.
 
“Jerrod…let me go, okay?” she pleaded in a choked whisper, face warming under his gaze.  `Don't look at me like that, PB.'
 
He just continued to smile at her and Solya decided to close her eyes and just enjoy the feeling of contentment for just a smidgen longer.
 
Jerrod would never admit this to Solya but he loved waking up cuddled with her.  He found it comfortable and natural and never, since the first night she fell asleep next to him and woke up latched onto his frame, had he thought to question it.  He just went with the flow and in an odd way felt honored that she'd trust him to such a degree.  Maybe it was just the unspoken promise he made to look out for her.  Possibly it was the knowledge he'd been afforded visually or verbally of her trials at home and how they affected her thereafter. 
 
`Whatever it takes, Sol, to make you feel content—I'd do anything.'
 
She'd changed a lot over the years, hadn't she?  Gone was the introverted, quiet yet tough girl who liked to sketch and stare at squirrels and chipmunks playing in the schoolyard in that serious almost longing way of hers.  Always with her hair in a pony tail, wearing a dress the she always looked rather pretty in but never seemed comfortable wearing—and yeah, she did have this adorable smile, when she deemed to let it show.  She'd grown in many ways as she blossomed not only physically—and quite generously, curve-wise; he had to admit—but mentally.  Mentally, she was becoming more outspoken and open to inviting people in—confident was the word he'd use to describe it.  He really noticed her opening up the day he saw Solya and Crazy talking for the first time and she laughed at something he'd said.  He remembered feeling oddly proud and a little uneasy— `Jealous?'—at the same time.  But they were soon a good trio of buds hanging out, swapping lunches, playing basketball, and walking home from school ever day.  Larry proved himself trustworthy—maybe a little too interested in Solya at times for Jerrod's comfort, though…but trustworthy nonetheless.
 
The sudden shivers he felt pulled him from his trip down memory lane.
 
`She's trembling.  Is she cold?'
 
Jerrod pulled his hand from hers and wrapped both arms around her.
 
“Sorry, Solya.  I forgot to turn the heat on for you.  I guess since yesterday was so mild, I didn't take into account the temperature drop at night.  Are you getting warmer now?”
 
`In the wrong way, yeah.  Okay, time to rise and shine before I faint from embarrassment,' Solya mused, wriggling in his grip.  He chuckled and squeezed her tighter and Solya reached between them and pinched his nipple—hard.
 
Owwww...” Jerrod hissed sarcastically, “I'm attached to that, yanno…”
 
“Then, get off me, Jer—I'm not a Teddy Bear, yanno.”
 
“But, you're so soft and warm and squi—”
 
“Finish that statement, Mr. Domingo, and you'll regret it most definitely.  Now, take it off before I break it off.”
 
Jerrod shrieked and stammered, not wanting to think about what she would `break off'.
 
“Y-yes'm.  S-sorry.  I'll go make us some coffee and breakfast, okay?” Jerrod suggested as he let her go and scooted to the bottom of the bed to put on his jeans and sandals, Women…can't live with `em.  Can't live without `em.” he muttered under his breath, on his way out the door.
 
Malesyeah…”
 
“Ha Ha Haaaaa…yeah…” Jerrod mimicked turning back around and leaning back into the room.
 
Hey!  You can't take my line—its password protected and copy written!  I could sue you, yanno!  Nah…you're only good for electronics.  Screw that.  Hmmm, then again, there are pawn shops…”
 
So not funny,” Jerrod laughed, running back over to the bed and giving her a quick peck on the nose to which she immediately blushed for and pulled back.  He smirked.
 
“Hey.  `Train Smoke'.  Middle shelf. Medicine cabinet. Toothpaste.  Use it.  Soon…please,” Solya whined with a hand over her nose.
 
“Yeah, yeah…and I hate you, too…” Jerrod returned, ignoring her attempt to get a rise out of him because he knew his breath was up to sniff.  But, just to be sure, he turned around, cupped his mouth, and took a deep whiff. 
 
`A tad tart but not offensive.'  
 
“Yeah…you'd better.  Now, feed me.  Chop, chop!  Thank you ever so much,” Solya demanded playfully, imitating a snooty English accent and blowing him an exaggerated, cross-eyed kiss. 
 
Jerrod caught it, opened his hand, look down at it, shrugged and turned back around to walk out the bedroom.
 
Solya smiled as he left the room and rolled over to his side of the bed to snuggle into his pillow and fall back asleep till breakfast was ready.
 
 
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>  
 
 
 
“You are…quite the gourmet, PB,” Solya teased, eyeing her breakfast of six silver dollar pancakes, honey, three turkey sausage links, fruit salad, coffee and OJ.
 
Hey.  I tried yanno.  I'm not exactly Emeril here—cut me some slack,” Jerrod pouted with slumped shoulders. 
 
Solya rolled her eyes and smiled warmly up at him to which Jerrod smiled back bashfully.  She knew he was a good cook but got a kick out of picking with him.  She loved everything he ever made her except the lemon meringue pie he attempted 3 years prior that was of very interesting in taste and texture—to make a story short it was never tried again. 
 
“Oh, quiet, PB.  I was just pulling your leg.  This looks great and smells awesome!” Solya mumbled around a bite of sausage. 
 
“Thanks!  I found these recipes on a carb-controlled website—believe me, you won't taste the difference.  Try a pancake—you should like it.” 
 
Taking a tentative nibble, followed by a bite that nearly eclipsed the entire pancake, Solya beamed and went for another. 
 
GAWD, PB!  If I'm ever rich, I want you to be my personal chef!  This is…is…I dunno—great is a word but not good enough!  Please make this for me on my birthday, Jer!” 
 
“Okay, sure!” he laughed, ego thoroughly inflated.  “So, me and your dad playing tug of war this year or what?” 
 
“GAWD, I hope not,” Solya sighed dreading the yearly fight over who gets to snatch her up and spoil her for her birthday—a tradition that started at age 12 and was still going strong, “You guys are like spoiled puppies vying for my attention with this B-day thing.  I don't know whether to be flattered or annoyed.  I think I'm gonna start playing `Eenie, Meenie, Minee, Moe' from now on.” 
 
Funny…” Jerrod drawled. 
 
“Yeah, I have that talent, it seems,' Solya bragged, patting her back, eyes widening as memory dawned on her. 
 
`Oh, shit!  The jazz dinner!  It's in 2 weeks!  I've got to call Jesse!  But, what do I say?  Guess I'll ask PB.' 
 
Catching her sudden change in expression, Jerrod snapped his fingers to get Solya's attention. 
 
`What's up?  That was on hell of a mood shift.' Jerrod pondered.
 
Solya looked at him, but seemed preoccupied, so he snapped his fingers again and began, “Sol?  You seem lost in thought there.  Anything you need to talk to me about?”
 
Not knowing where to begin or how to explain, Solya pushed her food around her plate until the slight squeak on her fork scraping the plate had Jerrod covering her hand to still it.
 
“You can tell me anything, Sol.  So, c'mon—dish” Jerrod encouraged, ending with a rather flamboyant tone. 
 
“It's just…I don't know what to do so I didn't think to get into it yet.” 
 
“I can try to help…if you need some advice,” he again offered, feeling slightly off that Solya apparently didn't feel comfortable sharing something with him.
 
`But…she's never held stuff back from me.  Oh no!  She's not pulling away from me again, is she?'
 
So real was Jerrod's fear that Solya would close off on him completely that he visibly trembled.
 
`No.  She can't.  She needs me and I…need her.'
 
So lost in thought, he almost missed her faint whisper. 
 
“It's just a little weird and to tell you the truth, uncomfortable.  That's why…never had to deal with stuff like this before.”
 
Well, you're not alone, Sol.  I'll be there for you.”
 
“Not for this one, PB,” Solya laughed, “You really can't be.”
 
“Why?  What's up?” Jerrod pried further, forehead wrinkling in contemplation.
 
“Oh, you're gonna laugh your ass off when I tell you.  You remember a dude named Jesse Sota in Junior High School?”
 
“Hmmm…lemme think…Sota…  Oh!  Yeah, Sol!  I think he was in my science class in 7th grade.  Why?  What's the deal with Jesse?”
 
“He…uh…he…kind of asked me…out,” Solya whispered ending with a flinch.
 
About 20 seconds went by and silence seemed to stretch uncomfortably, till Jerrod nearly passed out from the breath her did realize he was holding.  After a few deep inhales, he was no longer light-headed and very curious.
 
Clearing his throat, Jerrod dove in, “A…date?  Huh.  Well, that sounds interesting.  You going?”
 
“I…don't know.”
 
“Nervous, huh?”
 
“Yeah.  And a little scared, too…” suddenly wide-eyed and embarrassed at what she let slip, Solya hurried to recover, “Well, maybe-not-scared, but…”
 
But…?”
 
“What was that phrase you said?  `Greener that a rainforest'?  Yeah, that one.  That'd be me,” she sighed dejectedly, “Oh, Jer…  I don't know the first thing about being on a date; not to mention being a girl—and he can't pay me enough to wear a dress and heels, damn it!”
 
“Whoa, whoa, whoa.  Dresses and heels are optional, for one.  And for another thing, a date is usually to have fun, enjoy someone's company and/or get to know them.  Or, in this case, maybe reacquaint ones self.  Though, I gotta admit, I don't recall Jesse and you talking all that much back then.  He must've been really observant.”
 
“I…sort of…liked him, back then, PB.  But, I was too chicken to say anything and since we never talked much, outside of class stuff and occasional random chit chat, I didn't see potential in anything happening.  So, I pushed the crush to the back of my mind and eventually it wasn't a thought any more.”
 
“I see…”
 
“And now, with no experience to speak of, I'm afraid of falling on my face and humiliating myself.  Jesse gave me his number over a month ago and I still haven't called him yet.  I don't know what to say.  How does this stuff work anyway, Jer?”
 
Jerrod winced at her lost, nervous, and slightly jittery expression.
 
`Poor thing; she really is clueless.  Maybe I ought to call Jazmin for this one.  I don't know how to explain this stuff for females.  First things first...'
 
“Over a month, huh?  Well, first you need to call him and ask if the date is still on, since he may have thought you've been avoiding him all this time.
 
“No way, PB!  I'm not like that!  At least, I never wanted to be.  Aw crap!  He probably does think I left him hanging.  Okay, I'll call him.  Right!  Uh…when I do, what do I say?”
 
Jerrod collapsed against the wall and slid down cupping his face in his hands and groaned softly.
 
“Sol…you serious?” he inquired incredulously.  Seeing her hunch her shoulders and nod, he sighed and continued, “Just talk to the guy in the way you're most comfortable.  Reminisce.  Ask questions.  Let him know if you're up for the date.  Give him your phone number, if you're okay with it. `Don't let fear hold you back and prevent you from learning new things.'  Isn't that what Dr. Busch always tries to drill into your head?”
 
“Yes.  All the time.  And you're right.  Okay, I'll call him today and try not to be a punk about it.”
 
“That's my girl!  Hold on!” Jerrod enthused with a warm hug from behind as he reached for his cell.
 
“Who you gonna call?”
 
“Ghostbusters!  Okay, I couldn't resist—you walked right into that one.”
 
Solya giggled and nodded.  “So I did.  So, who's the call to?”
 
“You're so nosey,” Jerrod began, punching in the number for Jazmin Jiminez on his speed dial and pushing speaker, “You'll see.  Give it a few rings, will ya?”
 
“Is that…who I think it is?” Solya asked in a hopeful tone that brightened when the voice rang out of the cell.
 
“PB?  Hey, Booty Butt!  Is my favorite tomboy there with you?  How've you been, Jerrod?  How is your family?  Still at that same job?  Miss me?” Jazmin ran off breathlessly, earning amused smirks
from Jerrod and Solya.
 
“Hold on, woman—please.  Let me see what I remember.  Okay, yes, it's me and yes, Solya's here, too.  What else?  Oh!  I'm great and my folks are good as gold and…um…yeah, same job but I got a promotion and medical benefits, now.  And I always miss you, Jazmin!  Oh yeah!  Say `Hi', Sol!”
 
“TB, I miss you!” Jazmin squealed into the phone, addressing Solya in the nickname she gave her of 3 meanings: tomboy, Teeny Bopper, and Thazmy (That's My) Baby.
 
Owww!  Um, you're on speaker, JJ, so bring it down a few decibels, `kay?  And, yeah, I guess I miss you, too,” Solya teased with a smile returning the nickname to Jazmin, “How's the wonderful world of dorm life?”
 
“Sucks like a Hoover.  Work's easy enough, I guess, but I miss my crew.  It gets shut down too early around these parts.  Sometimes it's so quiet out here you can hear woodland animals mating.  And I feel like a nun out here—so help me I miss sex, guys,” she ran off imagining Solya's shocked face at her last two sentences, “How's the brain drain going?  And what's up with Juan and Josie?”
 
“My therapist is excellent—she can pull crap out of me that not even Dad and Denise together can.  She's really cool, too.  I'm not having nearly as many nightmares anymore and the insomnia's practically non-existent now.  Josie's great—we're currently neck and neck on the weight loss thing and her hubby's gonna take her on a vacation if she wins.  Her kids are still hyper little things.  Now Juan is anyone's guess.  After he lost his heart to his current girlfriend, he's been all whipped and hard to catch.  When you do speak to him, he's all like “I've got plans” or “Gotta go—I'll call you” and stuff like that.”
 
“So you say, Deja.  I've been seeing proof for years that those little warped thoughts of yours are total BS.  But, that's for you to see not for me to tell you,” Jazmin interrupted smugly—knowingly.
 
“Hmmph!” Solya huffed in mock indignant, laughter threatening to escape. 
 
Jerrod laughed and Solya plucked his nipples.
 
Yowch!  Woman, stop abusing me!” Jerrod roared as he rubbed his chest in slow circles, glaring at Solya in a way that promised serious payback later.
 
“Are you still taking your frustrations out on Jer, Sol?”
 
“Not just him—Crazy, Trev and Peacock have felt my wrath, too.”
 
“Damn, you sound proud of that."
 
“Nah, Not really, JJ.  But, turnabout is fair play, yanno.  So, you still got the plan cell?”
 
“Yeah…for now.  Sprint SUCKS!!  But free calls after 7 work for me, so, as long as I don't run into any more glitches anytime soon, I'll keep the piece of crap.  Why'd you ask?”
 
“Oh.  Um.  I-I needed to ask you some…things.”
 
“She's got a da—” Jerrod jumped in, instantly stopping when he caught Solya's fierce glare.  With a gulp, he backed up a few steps.  Solya's glare turned into a cocky smirk, then a grimace when Jazmin's voice interrupted her moment of gleeful intimidation.
 
“A d-date Wow!  My ittle wittle Solya's all grown up!  Give Mama a kiss!  Me sho prouda you!  Who is he?  Do we—or I—know him?”
 
“See, this is why I need my own plan cell.  Just call me at the house after 7 and we'll chat.  Fair enough?”
 
“Well hell, Sol…Jer already put you on Front Street—might as well spill now.  Pleeeease,” Jazmin pushed nearly whining in frustration.
 
“No, later.  Please,” Solya insisted in a voice that plainly said to Jazmin `Girls Only' and Jerrod knew he'd get no more out of Solya on this subject.
 
“Well, okay.  If you insist, ya control freak,” Jazmin teased.
 
“Good answer.”
 
“Look guys, I'm about three fourths done with my essay and I need to get it to my professor in the next 4 hours, so I'll call you guys later.  Thanks for the call, PB!  Love you!  Lata, Solya!  Hate you!” Jazmin announced, affecting a sloppy kiss in to the phone.
 
“Yeah, yeah—feeling's mutual,” Solya sighed, shuddering at the “mushy” greeting, but grinning, nonetheless.
 
“Gotta charge my batteries—call me after 8, okay Jazmin?  Oh, love you back!  Don't study too hard!” Jerrod replied and flipped his phone closed.
 
“So, finish up and then I'll walk you to your Dads, alright?”
 
“Trying to get rid of me that quick, huh—feel the love,” Solya licking the honey off her lips.
 
“Yup, can't wait!  So, move it.  Hut, two, three, four!” Jerrod mock commanded with a cheesy salute.
 
“Yessir!  Permission to finish my breakfast, sir,” Solya played along, mumbling around a sausage link, giving a lazy salute that drew way too much attention to her middle finger. 
 
“Granted.  Double time, Soldier.” Jerrod allowed rolling his eyes and giving her a playful shove.
 
“You are touched…erm…sir.” Solya replied letting loose a held in laugh that made her choke a bit on the pancake she was trying to swallow.  Jerrod thumped her back and then started rubbing it in circles when he realized he was a bit too heavy handed with her.
 
“Ow.  That's gonna bruise,” Solya whined absently but quickly playing it down when she saw Jerrod's head hang and smile diminish, “But, you know a butterfly could bruise me…I could get a paper cut off of toilet tissue, Jer.  Anyway, that's what I get for laughing mid-swallow…”
 
“Sorry, Sol.  Really,” Jerrod apologized looking very contrite. 
 
`I can't hurt her.  No one is allowed to hurt her—especially me.'
 
Solya waved her hand in a gesture to suggest he just drop it.  Suddenly, it wasn't so easy for him to do just that. 
 
Staring at her back, he cringed.  Images of bruises, horrible scars, terrible infections and gashes that never should have been received ran through his head.  A frailty and vulnerability so deep it was tangible and a vision of the shell of a friend that he barely recognized…the memories hurt. 
 
`I'm sorry.  For everything you've been through.  You'll never hurt again, Sol…'
 
Without warning, he wrapped her in a tight embrace, mindful of the spot on her back he'd inadvertently hurt with his carelessness. 
 
`I hurt her…'
 
She understood and, for just this once, she allowed him to assuage any guilt that she knew she'd never be able to help him shed.  Wrapping her arms around his wrists, she leaned her head against his and sighed.
 
“I know you are.  It's okay.  Don't worry about it.” Solya said in a very rarely used soothing tone.
 
She felt him smile against her cheek and at once worked to push down that all too familiar warmth in her face, neck and chest that slowly worked its way down to her stomach.  Allowing him an entire minute to hold her—one that she counted down in her head—then released his wrists and started back on her breakfast.
 
“Thanks for calling Jazmin.  You're pretty cool when you want to be, Jer.”
 
“Gee, thanks,” he laughed releasing his hold on her.
 
Three minutes later, she was done.  Jerrod washed the dishes and put his slippers back in his room.  Forty minutes later, after she freshened up a bit, kicked Jerrod's tail in Mike Tyson Punch Out; they were on their way out the door.
 
Normally loving to spend a lazy Saturday with his best friend or the crew, in general, he couldn't today—he had plans.  The annual `Triple S' scheme—Snatch, Surprise and Spoil—was underway and he needed to concentrate.  After all, he only had 3 more weeks to plan and his plans were tad elaborate.  Competitive was another word that could be used to describe it.  These thoughts seemed to make him a very jipper Jerrod, indeed—much different from the sulking young man that swore on all that was holy that she cheated to win the bout with `The Mighty Ear Biter'.
 
“Okay,” Solya abjured five minutes into their walk, “What gives?  You look like you're about to pop—spill, Jer.”
 
“Nope.  Ancient Chinese secret—if I tell you, I'll have to kill you…and use your remains for stir fry.”
 
“Um, ewww!  TMI, Jer!  T. M. I.”
 
“You'll see—eventually Maybe, if you're good.”
 
Whatever it was, Solya was sure it was birthday related, so she just pasted on a knowing grin and continued the walk home while Jerrod ticked off a mental checklist.
 
`Mr. Amarante, it's on!'  
 
 
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>  
 
 
 
Solya paced her room restlessly, fiddling with the draw string on her jogging suit pants. 
 
“Its 7:17 and no Jaz.  Ooooh!  Where is she?” Solya groaned, pacing once again.
 
Having been home for just over 6 hours with so much on her mind was making her antsy.  She'd just missed her father by a few minutes and hadn't seen him since, so she decided that she'd call Jesse as she waited for Jazmin to call.  But being the person she was, so fearful of the unknown and, even worse, rejection, she had to boost her courage a bit—okay, a lot.  Logic told her that Jesse approached her, gave her his number, and offered to take her out…no rejection there.  But, alas, fear, no mater how irrationally, can play terrible tricks on the mind. 
 
`No.  I told Dr. Busch I would try new things.  So, here I go,' she resolved.
 
After 17 consecutive calls and hang ups before the first ring had a chance to sound out, she finally let it ring…and go to the answering machine.  Feeling like a coward for nearly fainting with relief that no one picked up, she pouted and hung up.
 
`Okay, when I do speak to him, I'm just gonna jump right into it and talk.  I mean sheesh!  He's just a guy, right?  What's he gonna dobite me?'
 
Deciding to try back later, she picked up the phone to call Jazmin.
 
`Pops'll only be slightly miffed that I placed a long distance call.  But, then again, she could just call me right back lat—'
 
Startled out of her reverie, with her finger poised over the first number key, a sudden ring halted her actions.  Smiling at the Caller ID, she answered the call on the 2nd ring.
 
“JJ!  How it be, chickadee?  I was just about to call ya!”
 
“Solya!  Still hyper as ever, I see.  And your level of patience is still staggeringly low.”
 
“Only with you…and Josie.  Man, I miss you!  I'm not working right now so I don't have enough saved up to come see you yet.  Crap.”
 
“S'Cool—check it, I'm going to go for my Masters in Child Development and Education.  You gonna root for me, Sol?”
 
Someone needs to.  Your patience with children—or the lack thereof—is sad, JJ.  So, yeah, I guess I can be your little cheerleader—as long as I don't have to wear a skirt!”
 
“Wouldn't dream of it, TB.  Anyway, I've learned a lot about the minds of “the small people” and, one you get them, they're not so worrisome.  Well, not that worrisome, anyway.  But, enough of that—dish, girl!  What's up with “the outing”?”
 
“You make it sound like one of those cheesy reality shows, woman.  Just don't start humming the theme to `The Price Is Right' and shit and we'll be fine.”
 
“That's a game show, not a reality show.”
 
“Staying on subject, JJ.  Now, “the outing” as you call it, isn't set in stone yet.”
 
“Oh, Lawd!  Sol, tell me you're not punking out on this.  I mean really, what's he gonna do?  Tie you up, skin you and make a nice coat and matching boots?”
 
“Um…gross.”
 
“Yeah, yeah, what ev.  You're scared.  Wait!  This is a he, isn't it?”
 
“I ain't scared and yes, you nut!  It's a guy!  Sheesh!  I'm a tomboy, not a lesbian.”
 
“Hey, just needed to know.  It's not like I would a judged you or anything.  And I had to make sure my advice was totally felicitous.”
 
“You and your big words—oh, I've got a new one for ya!”
 
“Hey, you're the one who started me and Jer with that Reader's Digest kick you've been on since 7th grade.  So, what's the new multi-syllable for today?”
 
“I didn't get the definition yet, but its propinquity.”
 
“Good one!  Let me look it up, I'm online now.”
 
“Jazmin, you searching for the definition online proves to me you're not getting much of an education.”
 
“Hush you.  It may not even apply to what I'm studying, ya wing nut.  Ah, here we go…propinquity.”
 
At the sudden quiet, Solya wondered what she was missing.  “Hey, Jaz, read it aloud, will ya?”
 
“Oh, may bad.  Propinquity is a noun…it means nearness of relation, kinship, affinity of nature, similarity, nearness in time, closeness, intimacy.  Oh, Sol…this is your complete opposite—well, with everyone except Je—”
 
“Don't you even think of saying it.”
 
“You know I'm right.  How long has it been…eight years—nine?  That's a long time to be unrequited.  But, I digress; can't have you running off to take a dip in De Nile.”
 
Denial?  About what?  Oops—don't answer that.”
 
“Okay, I'll leave it at this: once you're used to it, a date here and there will be fine.  But, no relationship will be strong or last if you are divided emotionally and are at war with your own feelings.  I'll let you chew on that a while.  It'll come in handy down the line.”
 
Gee, thanks, Iyanla.  And who the hell said anything about a relationship?!”
 
“Anytime and I did—thank me later.  Now, the date—”
 
Potential date,” Solya corrected.
 
Jazmin sighed and tried again.  “The date, as I said, Soly—”
 
“Whatev—so, he's from Junior High and I think you know him.  His name's Jesse So—”
 
Sota?!  Wow!  He was cute as hell in Junior High!  So, you guys have been in touch all these years?  How's he look now?  Where's he trying to take you?  Oooh!  On your 2nd date, can we double—you and Jesse and me and Jer?” 
 
“Whoa.  Damn you talk fast.  Now, first, yes he is Jesse Sota.  Second, we just met up like a month ago and I haven't seen him prior to that, since Junior High graduation.  Um, he's easy on the eyes, I guess.”
 
“You guess?  Oh, get off it, Sol!  Even tomboys understand the mechanics of attraction.”
 
Okay!  He's…um…sexy,” Solya recapitulated, whispering the last word.
 
`Aw, shucky ducky, quack, quack, up in heah!  Are we talking regular sexy, “GAWD, I wanna kiss him” sexy or “Whenever, whatever, whenever sex till the cops come knocking'” sexy?”
 
“Um, no more `Sex & the City' for you, ya perv.” Solya bemoaned.
 
“Oh my gosh.  You're still a proper-like unpopped cherry, aren't cha?”
 
Jaz…”
 
“No need to be all embarrassed, Sol.  In this day and age, you're like a living legend!”
 
“JJ…”
 
“And it'll make the wedding night all that much more amazing—or, so I've heard.”
 
“Ah, hellJaz!”
 
“Alright, alright… Don't go all postal on me.  You're no fun, by the way,” Jazmin complied with a pout.
 
“No pouting, JJ.  I can feel it over the phone.  Now, did I hit all your questions?  Hmmm… Oh!  Okay, he wants to take me to this Jazz Dinner and Fundraiser and at The Harbor Court Hotel.  And, JJ, what the hell makes you think I'd even consider a 2nd date?  Hell no!  Shit, I'm a nervous enough wreck just trying to work up the courage to call the man, not to mention date him.”
 
“Punk,” Jazmin coughed just shy of the phone receiver.
 
“I heard that, damn you.  And I ain't scared.  I'm not!  I'm just…just…uh…”
 
“Greener than the Incredible Hulk?”
 
“Something like that, yeah—help me out, JJ?”
 
“Sure, Dahlink.  Now, first things first—call the friggin' guy!”
 
“I tried but he didn't answer.
 
”Did you leave him a message?”
 
“No.”
 
“Does he have your number so he can return the call?”
 
“Uh…no?”
 
“Sol!”
 
“What?”
 
“You haven't talked to him since he asked you out—a month or so ago—and when you finally deem to call the man, you don't give him anything to work with?  Ugh!  Yeah, you do need my help.”
 
“Ah, stick it up your old wazoo, ya cocky thing you.”
 
“If you want my help, you'll take it on my terms.  That includes an occasional reality check and a little blatant honesty.  Do you accept these terms?”
 
“Well, shit.  When you put it that way, I dunno.”
 
“Going once…”
 
“Hey, no rushing, Ja—”
 
“Going twice…”
 
“Alright, alright, you…enlighten me, already.” Solya groused irritably as she listened to Jazmin's smug chuckle.
 
Thank you.  Now, call him again and put us on 3-way.  No, that won't work.  Most folks have that certain beep that lets them know a 3-way call's coming in.  Crap.  Okay, since you'll probably go half mute on the guy—”
 
“Jaz!”
 
“I said probably.  Anywho, let me just ask. Do you want an all-expenses paid outing with a, as you say, sexy guy?  A guy, I might add, who knows you from your pre-teens, remembers you enough to recall your love of Jazz music, and thinks enough of you to skip the basic “Golden Corral and a movie” and go for impressing you with dinner at a hella fancy hotel function.”
 
“Um…maybe?”
 
Shit, girl!  If you don't wanna go, I'll be more than happy to lie to my Dean and concoct some family emergency.  This date sounds pretty wonderful!”
 
“I never said it didn't.”
 
“Sol…what are you afraid of?”
 
“Who said I was afraid?”
 
“You. You did, Sol.  Your tone.  You resistance.  C'mon, Solya.  I've known you almost as long as Jerrod and Larry.  I know there's a girl hiding under all the “boyish charm” of yours. And I know you're not really prepared for this.  I know why.  You know why.  But, I can't make you tell me the truth and I can't make you tell it to yourself.  But, listen to me shrinking you on the sly.  Sorry, Sol.”
 
“I understand. And, well, you have made a couple valid points.  I'll give you that much, JJ,” Solya allowed begrudgingly, “Sometimes you make me sick, girl,”
 
“It's those Child Psych lessons—they kind of stuck.  My bad.”
 
“It's cool.  It's gotten to the point that me and PB just laugh about it.  You know you've rubbed off on him.  He thinks he's Dr. Phil.  But, I'm not gonna try to change the subject.  I'm nervous, yes.  I'm uncomfortable.  But, I kind of want to do this.  I'm just leery of messing up,” Solya admitted with a dry laugh, “So, you're gonna say something about new experiences and putting myself out there, right?”
 
“Nah.  Too psycho babbly.  Just, well, at least call the dude.  See what he's up to and go over old school memories or some shit like that.  Ask him questions and listen to what he says.  Hell, take notes if you wanna—he can't see you anyway.”
 
“Jaz!” Solya laughed
 
“You know what I mean.  You have 3 weeks to prepare yourself.  Might as well be comfortable by the time you go out with each other—if you decide to.  So, just call him and let me know what happened later.  Sorry to leave you here, but my roommate's waving me to the door.  Child, she's treating me to White Castle!  Can't miss that!”
 
“Go and get your eat-on.  I'll call the dude and fill you in later.  Thanks for the advice.”
 
“I'll call you tomorrow, if I can.  Our next talk is wardrobe.  If you need me, I'm always with you.”
 
Solya laughed at that, thinking about the old High School ID Jazmin gave her before she left for college. 
 
`Jerrod and Jazmin and their IDs…my friends are touched.' 
 
She imitated a loud sloppy kiss, said goodnight to her friend and hung up.
 
“Okay, let's do this!” 
 
 
  
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>  
 
 
 
Forty-seven minutes later…
 
`Okay, the word coward is coming to mind—again.  C'mon, Sol!  Call him, already!'
 
Solya pulled his business card out of her back pocket and dialed his number.  Suddenly tight-chested and apprehensive, she contemplated hanging up when a male voice came to the phone.
 
“Good evening.  May I help you?” the male voice greeted pleasantly.
 
“Uh…y-yes.  Um, is Jesse Sota available?” Solya stammered nervously.
 
“My husband?  Yes.  Who shall I say is calling?”
 
“H-h-husband?  O-oh…well, then.  Uh, this is Solya Amarante a-and—husband?”
 
Solya paled and steamed at the same time.  `Oh, hell no!' 
 
The sound of stretching plastic and muffled fussing interrupted her thoughts and she listened intently, not really understanding anything she heard.  Suddenly, the scratching and twisting noise stopped. 
 
“Ah, it looks like my darling hubby's coming now.  Please hol—OW!  Dammit, Jesse!  Not so hard!  I'm attached to that, man!”
 
`Do I even want to know?' Solya deliberated.
 
“Hello?  This is Jesse.  Solya, hi!” he greeted slightly out of breath, “Please hold.”
 
“Um, `kay,” she acceded, confused.  The blunted sounds of low shouts and slaps came to her over the phone and then everything was quiet except for Jesse's heavy breathing. 
 
`What the hell's going on?'
 
“I'm back.  Sorry `bout that.  My brother needs mental help.  I'm not gay and he obviously has too much time on his hands,” he announced with occasional pauses for air, “Had to beat some sense into him for a bit.”
 
“No worries chap.  I've chums similar to your brother who need to get molly mocked every now and then, as well,” she told him in her infamous cheesy English accent to which Jesse laughed loudly
 
“You are funny, Solya.”
 
“It's a gift, a curse, and a talent that's not reaping much profit—but, I do take tips.” Solya joked.
 
“Yeah.  Definitely funny,” Jesse repeated.
 
“Um.  I think I owe you an apology, Jesse.  I…was…I don't know what to say.  I should've called you a long time ago—like a month ago.”
 
“Well, I can understand the intimidation.  I am a pretty luscious vision to behold—uh, that was a joke, Solya.  I'm not cocky like that.  But, I did wonder if you forgot me or lost my number.  About half an hour after we parted ways, I wanted to scream, I was so mad.  How the hell did I forget to ask you for your number?  I dunno.  Well, I'm glad to hear from you.”
 
“Touché, Jesse”
 
“She speaks French!  A woman of many talents!  I know a few terms myself!  Let's see…French Toast, French Roast, and French Fries,” Jesse voiced in a mock-haughty tone that had Solya giggling, “Oh, and my favorites!  Touché and Pepe Le Pew!”
 
“Okay…”
 
“Yeah, I have those fits often.  Pay it no mind.  So, Miss Solya, what have you been up to these last few years?”
 
“Um.  Well, I graduated High School and made a portfolio of my art—Papi wants me to send some copies to art schools to see if I can earn a scholarship, but I don't know about all that—and I got a couple jobs, here and there.  And…Jesse, I suck at small talk.  Can't you tell?”
 
“Nah.  You're okay.  Sometimes even the most cliché questions catch folks off guard.  I'm glad to hear you're still drawing.  Did you know that was the first thing I ever noticed about you?  Well, that and your smile.”
 
“Really?”
 
“Yeah.  Pretty pictures…pretty smile.”
 
“Uh…th-thank you,” Solya whispered modestly with a blush.  `Wow!  He thought my smile was pretty?  Get outta town!'
 
“Not a prob.  So, you still hanging with Jaz, Josie, Larry and Jerrod?”
 
“Yeah.  They sorta grew on me, like mold.”
 
“The glorious green stuff, huh? Hahaha!  I see,” Jesse ribbed, “Got room for one more in your life?”
 
“Hmmm, that would depend…”
 
“On?”
 
“How do you feel about sports, video games, poetry, and cards?”
 
“Well, let's see…sports are a given.  Especially basketball, football, hockey and, please don't laugh, tennis.”
 
“I wouldn't laugh at that.  I've been into tennis since I was little—looks like a good sport to help get your aggressions out.  Hey, remember that guy who cursed enough to make Satan blush?”
 
“Oh yeah!  He was off the chain!  I forget his name.  Well, that's what net searches are for, right?  I'll tell you when I find out.  Um, the rest?  Love, love, LOVE video games!  Did you know my uncle gave me the best birthday present ever, last year?”
 
“What was that?”
 
“Oh my God, Solya!  He got me all these old systems and games he could find in either new or used but in excellent condition.  Some were mad old school!  Atari, ColecoVision, Sega, Atari Lynx, the original NES and Dreamcast were the oldest.  Each system had at least 5 games.  And he got me a used Super Nintendo and 17 games for that one.  I just love that man!”
 
“Well, I'd just imagine so!  I'm coming over your house!  You got Super Mario Go Cart?”
 
“Yup!”
 
“So, Jesse, what's that address?  Kidding.” Solya laughed. 
 
“Man, you crack me up.  Um, poetry…can't say I don't like it.  I guess I've never been exposed to it, outside of English classes.  Never been invited to any spots, either.  Why?  You do the open mike thing?”
 
“Once in a blue moon.”
 
Tight!  Well, keep me posted, will ya?  I think I'd really like to see that!”
 
“Sure.  Now, the BIG one.  How are you at Spades?”
 
“Solya, at the risk of sounding conceited, I pity the fool.”
 
“Oh…my!  You're still using that phrase, I see.  Don't hurt `em, Mr. T!”
 
“Yeah.  It got his point across though, didn't it?”
 
“True, true…  Well, I guess that means you're pretty good, then.”
 
“Understatement, hun.”
 
“Oh?”
 
“Well, at least my mother and cousins say so.  And my mother's a pretty honest gal.”
 
“Really?  That good, huh?  I just ought an invite you to Josie's Spades party.  Their always packed because she gives the best prizes!”
 
“Prizes, huh?  What, like door prizes?  Raffles?  What?”
 
“Well, they're kind of “First to do blah, blah, blah” prizes.  Like `First to Set the Other Team' or `First to Get a Boston' or `First to Win In 6 Hands or Less'—that one only happened twice before and that evening was loud, Jesse!  Folks were pissed off and kept saying the winning team cheated.  I laughed my ass off.
 
“Gotcha.  Sounds like a winner.  So, yeah, invite me, already.”
 
“Pushy young man, aren't cha?”
 
“Sorry.”
 
“Just joshin' ya, Jesse.  Yeah, I'll invite ya.”
 
“So, do I meet the qualifications?  You know, to be in your tight circle of friends.”
 
“I guess I can give it a whirl…a few more convos, a couple `Guys Night Ins'—`cause no friend of mine gets around meeting the guys approval, and a few rounds of me humbling you in Ms. Pac Man and Donkey Kong Country and I think I may be able to squeeze you in—maybe.”
 
“Wow.  You're one tough customer.  But, okay.  I accept your terms.”
 
“Coolness!  You know, it's funny.  I thought I was gonna be all fidgety and nervous when I talked to you, but you're pretty alright, Jesse.  I think I might just take you up on that Jazz dinner.  Lord knows I took forever getting back to you on that.  Sorry again for that.”
 
“S'All good, Solya.  I'm a generally patient man.  Plus, like I said, I should've asked for your number, too.  That's what I get for not covering all my bases.”
 
“How'd you remember how much I loved jazz, though, is still a mystery.  I don't even recall talking to you more than 10 or 12 times back in school.”
 
“Well, I was always rather observant and we did have 2 classes in 7th grade—science and history, I think.”
 
Yeah!  Now I remember!  GAWD, I hated history!  But, I loved our teacher.  She had a knack for making the most boring crap interesting!  Remember Government Jeopardy?”
 
“Yeah, I do.  Man, that game was tight!  What a way to fill in those last few boring days of school!  I won the most prizes out of everyone!  Yep. That was a big day to gloat, but I kept a level head. 
The best gift was the one I gave you.”
 
“Huh?  You gave me a gift?  When?  How'd I miss that?”   
 
“Well, I overheard you asking Jerrod if he'd seen your $20 bill—something about not locking your locker correctly and when you came back the door was open.  You said you couldn't find it and that you needed it for a field trip.  I was supposed to go to the same one and I wanted you to make it.  Jerrod suggested you check again later and, while we were in class, I asked to go to the restroom and slipped it in there.”
 
“That was you Whoa!  All that time, I knew I was right!  I checked that locker four times before our class and I knew it wasn't there.  Not that I wasn't happy to see the money, but I knew it was gone.  Wow, that was really nice.  Looks like I owe you a 20 spot, Jesse.”
 
“Nah.  Call it an act of chivalry from one of the last known gentlemen in the world.”
 
“And he's so humble, ladies and gents…”
 
“I do try,” Jesse laughed.
 
“Wow, looks like you noticed me a lot more than I gave you credit for.  Back then, I was so introverted and insecure.  I probably wouldn't have noticed you unless you were right in my face.”
 
“Like I said, I was observant.  I remember lots of things about you.”
 
“Do tell.”
 
“Well, you liked to draw—especially animals and tennis shoes and sometimes people.  I heard you singing before—your voice was really good.  You were kind of quiet a lot of the time, except around Jerrod and Larry—well, mostly Jerrod.  Plus, most guys felt a little intimidated by Jer—he was like your guard dog, Sol.  And, I thought you were kind of cute—really cute, actually.”
 
“Really…”
 
“Yes, really,” Jesse confirmed with lower timbre that did strange flip floppy responses in Solya's stomach.
 
`¡¡Ai, Chihuahua!!  His voice is…well, I don't know what to call it.  ¡¡Ai Dios mio!!  Jaz would've had to push mute by now.  I wish she was on the phone right now.  I don't know what to say.  Oh shit!  Is he still talking?  Better pay attention.'
 
“…your laugh was infectious.  Hmmm, it may have been those dimples.  Who knows?  Anyway, I thought you were downright fascinating to watch when you…”   
 
`Fascinating?  Okay, now I know I missed something!  Shit!  But, I guess he'd think I was rude or ignoring him if I asked—maybe another day I'll bring it up.  Oh, crap, Sol!  Pay attention!'
 
 
“…me feel all happy `cause you did.  And, yeah, I guess that's why.”
 
“Oh…cool…”
 
“Was I rambling?  Sorry if I was.” 
 
“No, you're fine.”  `In more ways than one…' 
 
“So, what do you remember about me?” 
 
“You?  Well…you definitely liked cornrows and Dickies gear—oh, and Timberlands!  You always had some portable game or gadget with you.  I remember hearing the Tetris theme a lot.”
 
“Oh, that was my favorite!”
 
“I thought so, too.  You, uh, had a pretty smile, too.  I-meant-uh-nice—nice!  Wow, that-was-a-dumb-slipup, huh?”
 
“Breathe, Solya…” Jesse chuckled.
 
Solya took a deep breath and proceeded, “Um, you always wore CK1 and you loved the color green.  I think all of your outfits had some green in it.  I thought you were really smart—not geeky smart, but just intelligent and cool and not all high and mighty `bout it.  And I still have that huge card the class sent me when I…went away.  Jerrod told me you're the one that suggested it.  I think you had the single most hilarious greeting of them all.”
 
“Ah, yes!  So you paid attention, too, I see.  Yup, I remember all that; that limerick T'was priceless, the look on our homeroom teacher's face, huh?”
 
“Oh yeah!  Learned words and terms I've never heard before.  How'd you get her to let you keep all that on there?”
 
“Well, I paid for all the materials and all and the class was so concerned, so, I guess she didn't want to let them or you down.  Who knows, really.  All I know is that I don't think I ever laughed so hard in class!  I was wiping tears all day at the thought!” 
 
“So, Jes, my good man…I was advised to pass along my number…I could be convinced…hmmm…what to do…”
 
“Well, I'm an excellent conversationalist…”
 
“Pure hearsay.  What else ya got?”
 
“When I fall asleep on the line, my breathing is very soothing…and sexy.”
 
“Rather confident mannerism…okay, your getting warmer…try again.”
 
“But, you'll miss my charming personality, Solya,” Jesse whined for effect.
 
“Charming, he says.  Okay, you've earned the test run—cell number!  Ready?”
 
“I am doing the Cabbage Patch over here!  Bring it on!”
 
“You.  Are.  So.  Silly.”
 
“You ain't seen nothin' yet, babe!”
 
“Oh?  Should I be leery?”
 
“Not at all!  I'm random, but harmless.  Got my pen and paper.  Gimme, gimme, gimme!”
 
Solya laughed hard and snorted.  “Oh crap…you heard that, didn't ya, Jesse?”
 
“Oh yeah!  That was hellafunny—gives you character.”
 
“Okay, it's 1 (800) 2 GOOD 4 U
“Huh. Too good for me, eh? That a fact? Hmmm…cocky much?” Jerrod teased.
“I prefer confident. And, no, that was just for laughs. The real one is (410) 555 7652seriously!  I paid a LOT for that number and when you figure it out, you'll know why.”
 
“Got it.  I'm good with challenges—you ought to see me with a Rubix Cube!” Jesse bragged.
 
“Might take you up on that.  Look, Jes, I hear my front door.  Papi's back and I gotta go pick his brain. So, I'll be in touch.  Ciao!”
 
“A'ight, cool.  This was really fun.  Can't wait to see you again, Sol.  Hopefully before the dinner?” Jesse hinted in a hopeful tone, smiling broadly when he heard Solya's slight intake of breath.
 
“We shall see…” Solya stated coyly.
 
“Aw, don't make me wait another month.  I'll even let you beat me in Ms. Pac Man—a couple times, anyway.”
 
Let?  Oh, it's on!  Name the time and place!  This Solya never backs down from a challenge!”
 
“Sure.  My place, next Saturday!  Us, Ms. Pac Man and I'll even cook dinner!”
 
“He cooks!  Oh my.  Well, we'll discuss this next time.  Lata, Jes!”
 
“Goodnight, Cuteness.” Jesse ended with a flirt, relishing the shy giggle he received before hunging up.
 
`Wow!  That went a lot longer than I thought it would!  All the panicking for nothing—that was easy!  Let me go holler at Pops!'
 
“Soooooooooooooool Train!” her father called up the stairs, imitating the television show, to which he got a low chuckle.
 
“Papi!  I'm up here!  Hold up!” Solya hollered down the steps as she descended.  Making her way to the living room, she paused.  `What…the hell…is in that huge box?'
 
“Solya!” her father called, jogging over to give his “Little Sunshine” a squeeze and quick lift in the air.
 
Daaaang, Pops! You're strong!” Solya squealed as she was lifted and twirled a little then let her back down, “Where were ya?  I waited all night for you to come in? Is D here? What's in the box? I've got news for you, Papi!”
 
“Good thing my memory's good, chica! I waited around here all day—wanted to see if were up for hanging with your old man. Figuring you were at Jerrod's house, I left without you. It was one of those anime thingies.”
 
“Aw sh…ucks, Papi! I can't believe I missed that! That blows!” Solya sulked.
 
“You know Papi wouldn't forget you! Got lots of goodies for your birthday, too! I called but you never answered your cell. Was everything okay?”
 
“Yep. And, yeah, I was over Jerrod's house. Honestly, I had a long day and we just hung out and ordered Chinese. Then, I just took a shower and hit the hay. Lo siento, Papi. Hope I didn't worry you much…guess I didn't think.”
 
“How was therapy?”
 
“It was deep. I cried, Papi—hard. I hated it. But, afterwards, when I really thought about it, it was kind of cleansing. Not that I want to do it on the regular, mind you…”
 
“Sounds like a breakthrough. This is good then?”
 
“According to Dr. Busch, yeah…”
 
“And, according to you? What's my Little Sunshine think?”
 
Papi...I'm almost 18…”
 
“You'll always be my baby, baby…so, tell me?”
 
“Well, yeah. I guess so. Well, you know I'm not big on feeling all weak and mushy and crap, and that ordeal did upset me for a while, but hanging with PB was fun and soon I wasn't dwelling on it much. Oh, I talked to Jazmin, too! She said she's going for her Masters!”
 
“Wonderful—on all three fronts! This calls for a treat! How about a smoothie!”
 
“Papi, it's almost 11:40 at night. Though a smoothie is pretty healthy, it's too late to eat anything. Raincheck for breakfast?”
 
“Sure, baby—I mean Solya.”
 
“Thanks, Pops!” Solya sighed.
 
Her father adored her, she knew, but sometimes the nicknames and endearments were a bit much. Still, deep down, they did make her feel pretty special. What Jerrod couldn't breach in her life—well, there wasn't much he couldn't, actually—her Papi could with ease. But, no one would ever replace her father. He was the first safe haven she'd ever known and the one she always came to for the really tough questions—except Girls ONLY stuff…that was STRICTLY Jazmin, D and, occasionally Josie.
 
She smiled at the ease and peace she felt whenever he was around; figuring she'd go to bed with the smile plastered on her face and tackle the other topics tomorrow.
 
`A day starting with PB, mixed in with Jazmin—twice—and ending with my Papi! Oh, and the talk with Jesse was fun, too! Yeah, this was a good day!'
 
“I'm hitting the hay, Pops! Luju!” Solya yelled down the stairs ending with a yawn.
 
“Love you more, daughter! Sleep well!”
 
 
 
A/N: Long dang chapter, huh? Well, stuff had to be covered. More Jesse and Jazmin next chappie! Till then, lata!