Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Consumed by the Darkness ❯ The Legacy's Heir ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Dozens of people lined up in front of a traditional style Japanese home. Each dressed in black and preparing to pay their respects to the Okaruto family.

Ominous gray clouds gathered in they sky, signaling a storm. The wind had already begun to pick up.

Alone, standing out in the yard, stood a young girl wearing a black kimono. She had long , flowing light blue locks of hair. Standing not too far off from her were several other young girls, all dressed in traditional high school uniforms.

“See that girl over there?” One girl said, pointing to the blue haired girl.

“Yeah. Who is she?” One of the other girls replied.

“Apparently she’s the younger twin sister of Rei, the one who died. Her name’s Ayumi.” The first girl answered.

“No way? Really?!” Another girl nearly shrieked. She turned and gazed sympathetically at Ayumi.

“I wonder if she’s crying?” One of the other girls said.

“Who knows? Probably. After all, her sister did die. Wouldn‘t you?” The first girl replied.

All the girls gasped slightly as Ayumi turned and strode past them into the house. She did not seem to notice anyone around her as she removed her sandals and made her way to the room in which her sister’s wake was.

Ayumi slowly walked along a candle lit hallway, her footsteps light and hardly making a sound. She bowed her head slightly as she entered the wake. As soon as she had entered the room it became very silent. Ayumi slowly crossed the room and kneeled in front of her Rei’s picture. The picture was flanked by two flickering candles decorated with black funeral ribbons. The picture was one taken only one month earlier. Rei was smiling. To most people Rei would have appeared to be completely normal. But Ayumi could see the tension deep in her sister’s eyes. Signs that showed her “occupation” was beginning to chip away her sanity.

Sister…What happened to you? Ayumi thought as she stared intently at the picture.

Suddenly, for a moment Rei’s picture seemed to be glaring viciously at Ayumi. Ayumi blinked and the picture returned to normal.

It must be my imagination. That must be it. Ayumi smiled softly and lowered her head in prayer.

Once she had finished praying, Ayumi stood and turned toward the doorway. Standing in the doorway was her grandmother. Her gray hair pulled back in a tight bun. She, like Ayumi, was also dressed in a funeral kimono.

“Ayumi. I need to see you for a moment.” She said quietly.

“Yes grandmother.” Ayumi replied, bowing respectfully and obediently following her grandmother into the hallway.

As soon as they were alone Ayumi’s grandmother turned to face her. A grim expression lined her wrinkled features.

“Ayumi. As you may already know, your older sister was the heir to our clan’s legacy. And now that…” Her grandmother trailed off for a moment, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath.

“For generations, our family has been protecting the Mortal World from the supernatural. From poltergeists to demons. We would perform exorcisms or create talismans to ward off evil spirits. On occasion we were even called on to communicate with the dead to ask them to pass on or to receive warnings and information. We would even be called on to battle demons or monsters. Sometimes we would need to enter the Spirit Realm. Sometimes things would go wrong. Some of us would accidentally cause problems. A consequence for being born with strong spiritual power.

“We could end up tearing a hole in the thin fabric that separates our world from the Spirit Realm. Allowing demons, and monsters and evil spirits to enter our world in large numbers. We might be possessed. Sometimes even become trapped, forever forced to live between dimensions. Sometimes even lose a piece of our own souls.”

Ayumi’s grandmother turned her gazed to the entrance of Rei’s wake.

“We don’t know what might have caused Rei to take her own life. Perhaps it was due to seeing something she should not have seen, or simply pressure from becoming the heir. Perhaps it has nothing to do with the supernatural at all.” Her grandmother sighed and shook her head slightly. “We may never know what caused her death.”

Ayumi’s grandmother’s gazed returned to her. “Ayumi, you know what happens from here?”

Ayumi shook her head. Honestly she had no idea what was to happen. Would her family finally quit its century long business, or find a new heir? Perhaps she would be asked to take her sister’s place.

“Ayumi, now that your twin is gone, there is only one who can continue the legacy. And that person is you.”

Ayumi slowly nodded. She had never wanted to take up the job. But she was the only one who could. Someone had to protect the Mortal Realm from obstacles. That was her duty for being given spiritual powers. Her birthright.

“I will continue the legacy. And maybe I will find the reason for Rei’s death.”

 

The next day was a bright and sunny day. The sky was clear and bird twittered away as they flew high in the air. But Ayumi was stuck in school sitting through a boring lecture. She barely heard the teacher say something about the Meiji Restoration. Ayumi simply had other things on her mind. Like for example, her sister and her new “job.” She stared out the window with half open eyes, watching clouds float lazily though a peaceful sky.

So, what happens now? Do I give up everything for this like Rei did? Or do I live a sort of double life? Ayumi was not sure what to do with her life from that point. Nothing seemed like is was going to be normal ever again. On top of it all, Ayumi had the strangest feeling. As if everything would become even more uncertain.

Ayumi barely noticed that the lecture was over and class was dismissed for lunch. Ayumi quickly began to unpack her lunch as the rest of the class filed out the door. Ayumi crossed the room to join them, but suddenly felt a hand of her shoulder. She turned to look up at her teacher, who wore a solemn expression.

“I know it must be hard for you. Rei was a good person.” He said.

“Yes, I know she was.” Ayumi whispered and exited the room.

 

Ayumi found herself a bench behind the school, where most of the students chose to eat their lunches and hang out. As she sat down she began to unwrap her bento. She pretended not to notice the odd stares she was given and the whispers of the other students. She also pretended not to notice the saddened expressions of her sister’s friends as they comforted one another.

Suddenly, someone sat down next to Ayumi. She was surprised to see a boy about her age with dark hair and brown eyes looking down at her.

“What is it Akito?” Ayumi asked her childhood friend, quickly returning to her bento.

“What to you mean, ‘What is it Akito?’ I’m just checking on you.” Akito replied with a slight scowl.

“Well, I’m…Just fine.” Ayumi made sure she didn’t make eye contact. She did not want anyone seeing her crack.

“Yeah. Sure you are.” Akito thumped Ayumi on top of the head, causing her to almost drop her bento.

“What the hell was that for?!” Ayumi nearly shrieked, scowling fiercely at Akito.

“What’s with you?! Why can’t you just admit it? No should be okay after their twin dies.” Akito snapped.

Ayumi’s expression softened. She leaned back on the bench and lowered hear head.

“I’m sorry. It’s just that I can’t let my grief get to me right now.” Ayumi’s lower lip quivered slightly.

“Have you, you know, cried yet?” Akito asked.

“No. Not yet.” Ayumi admitted. “I guess it’ll happen eventually though. It’s only a matter of time. What about you?”

“Not yet either. I guess it’s like you.” Akito chuckled slightly. “You know me, to stubborn to let it happen.”

“Yeah.” Ayumi smiled half heartedly.

Off in the distance the bell sounded, signaling the end of lunch.

“I guess I’ll see you later.” Akito said with a small grin.

“Okay.” Ayumi whispered, wrapping the rest of her bento in a cloth and tucking it underneath her arm.

“Wait Ayumi.” She heard Akito call. Ayumi turned to face him again

“Yes?” She asked.

“Don’t do anything stupid, alright?” Akito said, his expression unusually serious.

“Don’t worry. I won’t.” Ayumi answered. “I promise.”