Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Flame of Love ❯ Volume One, Chapter Three: Cupid Duo ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Cupid Duo
*Kagome*
She was talking on the phone with one of our relatives when I got home. That was my mother typically.
“Hi Kagome,” she said when I opened the door.
“Hi mom,” I said. I doubt she was paying me any attention. She was too busy talking to one of our relatives. So I just walked on to my room and started on my homework.
But I found it hard to concentrate on my math. Ryo had invaded my thoughts again. This had happened before but ever since we moved back, it had gotten worse. Ryo was always in my thoughts and my dreams. It was stopping me from doing my work and my old friends were questioning me to see if I was still sane. Ryo had taken over me again.
A few minutes later, I heard a knock on my door.
“Come in,” I said. The door opened and there stood my mother.
“Yes?” I asked.
“We're going over to Hideki's for dinner.” she said.
“Uh-huh,” was all I said. Then my mother slid the door shut. Though I didn't show it, I was happy to see Hideki again. He was like a father to me and he and mom were deeply in love. Even more, I would get to see Ryo again. Although I saw him at school now, it wasn't enough! I needed to see him, to be with him. That was how much I was in love with him.
The table at Hideki's house was full like the good old days. Mom and Hideki sat together like before. And Ryo and I sat across from each other. I knew Ryo was staring at me the way a husband would stare at his wife, but I pretended not to notice. Hideki was lightly holding my mother's hand. She was smiling. There was only one little problem. Ryo and I saw it too well.
“Uh…” said Ryo.
“Yeah?” my mom asked him.
“I need to step out for a while,” he continued.
“Go ahead,” said Hideki.
“Thanks,” said Ryo. Then he sat up and bowed. Then he secretly signaled me follow him.
“Uh… I need to step out too,” I said.
“Sure Kagome,” my mom said. Then I got up, bowed, and followed after Ryo.
“Yeah Ryo?” I asked once we got outside. He quickly covered my mouth and looked around.
Once he was sure it was safe, he said, “I'm planning to get mom and dad back together.” (He still calls my mom his mom.) My eyes grew big. That was my same thought.
“I will help you!” I said quickly.
“Great,” he said.
“We'll start plans tomorrow,” I smiled. Then we walked back into the house.
Later that night, I came out to our living room. Mom was still doing her taxes
“Mom,” I said. She still didn't look up. I walked closer and tapped her on the shoulder. Right then, she looked up.
“Hm?” she asked.
“Mom, can I ask you something?” I asked.
“Uh-huh,” mom said. I sat down beside her.
“How did you meet Hideki?” I asked. I noticed she stopped, blushed, and looked at me.
“Well,” she began. “We met at my friend's funeral. I sat beside him. He was really depressed. So I lightly tapped him on the shoulder and said, `She was a great woman.' He sobbed as he nodded. Then I gently rubbed his back. Right then and there, Hideki looked up at me and touched my hand. From then on, we became friends. And soon we fell in love and got married.”
“I see,” I said. My mother's cheeks were bright aka.
“Sorry to bother you,” I said.
“That's okay dear,” she said as she stroked my hair. I smiled. It was really romantic. And it inspired me to carry this plan farther.
For a full week, Ryo and I plotted out our plan. Setsuna and them were growing suspicious, but we didn't notice. Ryo and I were consumed in our plans. If someone asked us what we doing, we're studying for exams. And they believed us.
By Saturday, the plan had started. Ryo got on-line and hooked mom and Hideki up with tickets to a love kabuki play at four thirty is afternoon. It was hard at first. Mom kept looking over my shoulder while I was writing in my planner instead of doing my homework and Hideki kept looking in the history of the computer when Ryo claimed to be doing some research on on-line. But we managed to get them off our backs. But Saturday was going to be our reward. I handed mom her purse and kissed her goodbye. Once she was gone, I realized I had the house to myself. It was tempting to call Ryo for some company, but then I remembered we might end up in my room on my bed. So went to the living room and did my homework.
By nine o'clock, I heard a car pull up in the driveway. I knew my mom was home, I continued my homework. The door opened and I looked up. My mom stood in the doorway smiling.
“So,” I said. “How did your date go?”
“I felt young again. I never had this with Hideki before. I want to do it again.” was all she said. Then she walked down the hall. When she was gone, I was smiling to myself. Phase one of the plan had only just began.
The Rose of Love is the Sweetest Thing of Life…