Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Flame of Love ❯ Volume Five, Chapter Twenty-Nine: Thorny Heart ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Thorny Heart
-Setsuna-
Ryo can’t be with Kagome. I keep telling him it’s wrong, but he won’t listen. My friends get it either. They suggest that I’m in love with him. I’m not! Even my mother thinks that I am.
“He’s just a friend,” I tell her.
“Sure,” she replies. I don’t understand why they didn’t believe. It’s not like that, I swear. He and I are just good friends. I’ve known him since he was ten.
I met him at the hospital. He looked so happy the day. That boy came in with a tree of red cranes. My mother is a nurse and I came in with her that day on a break from school. I saw him hurrying down the hall.
I trailed him until I saw him to talking to a man. The man shook his head. That little boy dropped his crane three to the floor. Judging by the serious look on the man’s face, the news wasn’t good. The boy sank to the floor and started to cry. I wanted to run over and comfort the boy in some way.
“Setsuna-chan!” I heard behind me. I whipped around to see my mom running towards me.
“What?” I asked.
“Where did you run off to?” she asked. “I told you to stay in my office.”
“Why are they sad?” I asked as I pointed ahead of us. My mother’s demeanor changed to a grim one.
“Hang on,” she told me. She spotted the nearest doctor and spoke with him. I watched as she returned to me.
“The mother just died,” she said with sorrow in her voice. I felt myself die a little.
“Oh,” I murmured. I looked over at that little boy sitting on the floor in tears. My heart told me to do something for him.
Hours later, I wandered out to the hospital garden. I hadn’t even met that boy yet and already felt sorry for him. I walked through the flowers thinking about that little boy. I felt powerless to stop his tears. I froze in my tracks. If only there was some way to…
Suddenly, I heard someone crying. I looked up to see that same little boy sitting on the bench. I found myself walking over to him. He looked up at me with tears in his eyes.
“Hey, what’s the matter?” I asked. That little boy sniffled at me.
“My mommy’s dead,” he whimpered. I sat down next to him.
“I’m so sorry to hear that,” I told him. I looked down at his feet and saw that crane tree again.
“Those are pretty,” I said.
“I made that for mommy,” the little boy whimpered.
“What is your name?” I asked.
“Ryo,” he said. I gave him a kind little smile.
“My name is Setsuna,” I told him.
Now, I don’t hate Kagome, don’t get me wrong. I just don’t believe it will work. I just need to get him to understand this.  The sooner he does, the better everything will be again. At least, that’s what I hope anyway.
Denying Love