Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Gray Sky ❯ Chapter 9

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Carrie opened her eyes and found herself lying on her side. She looked across her room and saw that the blinds on her window were down and the sun was fighting to get in. She felt an arm tighten its hold around her waist. Damian was lying behind her. Carrie blushed.
 
“Good morning, darling,” he whispered against the back of her neck. His voice sent shivers down her spine.
 
“Good morning,” she replied. She squeezed her eyes shut. Damn, was she living in a fantasy world?
 
“Are you hungry?” he asked in his fabulous accent.
 
Carrie heard her stomach growl; she had skipped dinner the night before. “Yeah.”
 
“I'll go make something for you to eat,” he said. He let go of her and left the room.
 
Carrie was alone in the room. She missed being held by Damian. She was starting to crave him. Her body was demanding for him to return and embrace her again.
 
She stood up and grabbed a robe since it was a little cool in the house. She also slipped on some white fuzzy slippers and went to the kitchen.
 
The girl saw Damian cracking some eggs in a skillet and glancing at the bacon that was being cooked on the side. His look of concentration was so cute! Carrie would have no qualms with watching him forever. There were times that she would wish that time would freeze…this was one of them.
 
Damian looked up and saw her leaning against the wall with a warm smile on her face. She started to saunter her to him. She put her arms around his waist and laid her head on his back. She breathed in; she could smell his woodsy scent.
 
“It's almost done,” he said as he moved the food around the skillet.
 
“Uh-huh.”
 
He scooped the food onto a plate and started to move toward the table, with Carrie still attached to him. He sat the food on the table and had to force Carrie from his waist as he sat down.
 
When she was seated, she asked, “Are you going to eat?”
 
He responded, “Already did.”
 
“Are you going to be late for work?”
 
“I called in and said that I'm going to be a little late.” He secretly meant that he had called Ashling and told her that he was still at Carrie's house and would be home very late.
 
“Oh, I must call in or Trace will get mad!”
 
“I did that for you already. He sounded a little peeved, I wonder why?”
 
Trace was fuming that a man was at Carrie's home.
 
Carrie didn't know that though. She thought that it was because he was her boss and friend and was just concerned about her.
 
She took a bite out of her eggs and her mouth watered. “Oh my God. Damian, it's delicious!”
 
I can still cook, vampire or no vampire he thought. “Thanks.”
 
Carrie ate the rest in silence while Damian watched her. She felt kind of embarrassed eating in front of him. What did she look like when she was eating? Well, whether or not she looked like porker, he didn't hint that he was disgusted. The only expression he gave was admiration.
 
When she was done, he took the plate and washed it. While he was doing that, she sat on the couch. Once Damian was done, he sat next to her. Carrie put her feet on the couch and laid her head on his lap.
 
“I hope that this will last forever,” she whispered.
 
“Me too, darling,” he whispered back.
 
She sighed. Then she perked up. “Hey! Want to see the garden I'm making?”
 
Damian stiffened. “Outside?”
 
Carrie giggled. “Of course. Where else do you think the garden is?”
 
Damian chuckled nervously. “Yeah, silly me.”
 
Carrie cocked her head. “Don't you want to see it?”
 
“Yes, of course, but let's relax inside for a while.”
 
Carrie cocked her head and her eyes narrowed. “Damian, what's wrong. If there's something wrong, you should tell me.”
 
Shit, I'm caught. I should have known that it would be a bad idea to stay overnight. I should have left a letter saying that I had to leave he thought.
 
Carrie kept looking at him. Her gaze was starting to burn holes into him. She was demanding an answer from him and he wasn't leaving until he gave her a damn good answer.
 
“You won't believe me and if you did, you probably wouldn't accept me,” he muttered. His eyes were avoiding hers.
 
“Try me.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Try me. See if I care what your answer is.”
 
“You shouldn't say that. I am not like anyone else.”
 
Carrie sat up. She placed both of her hands on his cool face. She pulled his face to her direction so his eyes were looking into hers. Hazel eyes looked into honey brown ones.
 
“You haven't harmed me, so why should I worry about anything?”
 
He sighed. He averted his eyes from hers until she slapped him lightly on his left cheek.
 
“I'll say it again…try me.”
 
He sighed again, but more deeply. “I'm a vampire.”
 
“A what?”
 
“A vampire.”
 
“Seriously?”
 
“Seriously.”
 
“You mean the ones that suck people's blood and can't walk in the sun and die when get stabbed in the heart and they turn to dust?”
 
“Yeah, something like that.”
 
“So then I take it that you don't have a job during the day?”
 
“Nope.”
 
Carrie looked at him. She looked like she was debating on whether or not to believe him. He was about to stand up until she said that she believed him.
 
Damian was stunned. “You do?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
He sat back down and Carrie hugged him and laid her head on his shoulder.
 
“Why? You should be scared.”
 
“I know I should, but I can't. I don't feel afraid. You make me feel safe and special and loved…especially loved. And we won't go outside. We can wait until dusk.”
 
Damian felt touched. Now he knew that it was time for her to meet Ashling.
 
Time passed by. Carrie left for work, leaving Damian alone in her house.

~*~

“Why is there a guy in your house?” asked Trace very quietly.
 
“He's my boyfriend Trace, that's why,” she replied curtly.
 
Tyler was standing behind Trace and could see a small cloud hovering above his friend, raining green.
 
All of a sudden the alarm rang and they let their small argument slide. The trio hurried to the fire truck. They were told where the fire was and they went to it as quickly as possible.
 
They arrived to a growing fire. They hopped out of the truck, went to the hose and started putting the fire out. A girl came running up to Carrie, crying that her kitty was still in the house. Carrie told her that she would go and get her kitty and to stay put.
 
Carrie went into the burning house and searched for the girl's little cat. She looked around, ducking from the ceiling that was falling. All that crossed her mind was getting the girl's cat and staying alive for Damian.
 
She found the little cat, held it in her arms, and started heading out of the house. She maneuvered her way around and before she knew it, she was outside. She saw that more fire trucks had arrived to help get the fire out. Carrie saw that girl standing beside one of the fire trucks, having her hands clasped with a hopeful look. Once she saw Carrie walking towards her, holding the cat, her face became bright enough to lighten the cloudiest day.
 
“Thank you! Oh thank you!” she cried as she ran toward Carrie. She handed the girl back her cat and watched the girl walk away. This was the smallest reward that she had ever received.
 
She sighed and turned back to the fire.