Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ List of Secrets ❯ Chapter 5

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Amy and Iris went to the cafe for breakfast.

"You're right," Amy said. "These waffles are the best! I just hope I don't cry myself to sleep over everyone who'll never get to try these."

"You'll manage," said Iris. "After we're done here, how about we hit the town?"

"Yeah, I don't remember anything around here."

"That's because this isn't where we did our auditions. I only moved here a year ago. It was shortly after I gave up acting."

"What? But why?"

"Well, I just found some things that are a bit more fulfilling. That, and I hadn't gotten any parts for a while."

"Really?"

Iris shook her head. "It didn't help that Love Allegedy sucked the big one. Yeah, I'm the first one to admit my performance wasn't the best. Part of me wishes you'd gotten the role instead."

"It's just as well," Amy said. "As is turned out, my fascination with acting was only temporary. I probably would've quit before filming began."

"So, what are you doing?"

Amy hesitated. She didn't want to lie, but she also didn't really feel like talking about the List Investigation. "Well," she said, "I'm doing various tasks for the government. Mostly legwork for its social services people." That was just true enough for her not to feel bad about it.

After breakfast, Amy and Iris went walking around town. There wasn't much here that was all that new or exciting, but it was good enough for their purpose, which was to kill some time.

"Yeah, I know," said Iris, "this town is a bit on the generic side. But, that just means what when you visit a truly unique place, it'll be that much more special."

"How philosophical," said Amy. "You always did know how to spin something positively."

"Well, let's just say that skill's come in handy lately. But nevermind, want to see a movie?"

"Okay then."

Sadly, the only move showing that day was a rerelease of Love Allegedly. Against their better judgment, Amy and Iris decided to go ahead and watch it. Iris couldn't decided which was worse, the movie itself or the people who came in just to jeer it. Some of them even threw drinks and popcorn at the screen. She was just glad no one recognized her.

Finally, the movie ended and they left the theater.

"Oh, for goodness' sake," said Amy, "what were we thinking, sitting through all that? So, what do want do do next?"

"Not much, really," replied Iris. "I'm kind of tired. Besides, haven't you spent enough time with me? You'll eventually have to move on."

"Move on?" Amy was somewhat confused.

"You know, to the next secret-holder."

Amy was shocked. "How did you know?"

"I guessed as much as soon as I heard your half-assed explanation what you do for a living. Don't worry, I'm not mad at you. In fact, I figured someone would come to see me. I'm just glad it's you."

Just then, Iris grabber her hair and removed it from her head, revealing her baldness.