Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ List of Secrets ❯ Chapter 6

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
"This," said Iris, "is the real reason my acting career ended." She put her wig back in its previous position. "The studios have no use for a bald woman. Well?"

"Well what?" said Amy.

"Usually, this is where people pile on the pity, or claim to understand what I'm going through."

"Would you like to hear that? I could weep for the pain of the universe, if that's what you'd like."

Iris started laughing at that, and Amy joined in soon after.

"Seriously," said Amy, "I can't help wondering what your response would be had anyone else come here."

"Let's not worry about what could've happened," said Iris. "I've learned how useless that is." A moment passed. "I can tell, just by looking at you, what you want to ask. It wasn't cancer, or lupus, or anything illness-related. No, my hair just plain started falling out."

"Not to be rude but..."

"When did it start? In fact, the first few hairs started coming out while Love Allegedly was filming. At first I was in total denial, convincing myself it was someone else's hair, or that I'd just brushed too hard. Eventually, though, I had no choice but to accept the truth. Still, I couldn't bring myself to tell anyone else. Fortunately, filming ended before it really became apparent." Iris took a breath. "I'd always dreamed of being an actress, but in the end I had to let the dream die. Shortly after I left the business, my hair really started falling out, and before long it was all gone. You're the fist person I've really felt comfortable sharing this with."

"It's a shame really," Amy finally said. "With time, I'm sure you could've been a great star."

"Well, what can you do? I've move on with my life, and to be honest I find my current life fulfilling. So don't feel too bad for me. And do take better care of your hair. It's not quite as clean as it could be, and I hate seeing it being taken for granted."

"I've been on the road for a little bit. Normally, I'm much better about that."

"You're not travelling alone, are you?"

"No, I have two teammates with me. Just don't ask to talk with them. My team leader is real big on keeping things professional."

"She sounds a bit too serious for my tastes anyway."

"Yeah, she does take this a bit too seriously at times."

"About what I've told you..."

"I assure you, my teammates and I won't share this with others if you don't want us to."

"I'm glad to hear that." Iris got up. "How about we have lunch, then call it a day?"

After lunch, Amy and Iris parted company. They promised to keep in touch this time, but for now Amy had to other secret-holders to deal with. She was soon back at the hotel.

"Damn," said Joe. "You should've seen Julie. Just one beer, and she was staggering around like she was smashed."

"You shut the hell up," said Julie. "So, Amy, how did it go?"

"It was just like I thought," said Amy. "She willingly shared her secret with me."

"I'm glad it worked out. I don't know about you two, but I'm ready for a short break."

"That's great!" said Joe. "How about we go to that town we heard about and see if it lives up to its reputation."

"Okay then." Julie got her bag. "Pack your stuff, guys. We're going tomorrow!"