Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ List of Secrets ❯ Chapter 7

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
"Y'know," Julie said. "There's something about Herbert that bothers me..."

"Hey, you promised!" said Amy. "No work-related talk while we're visiting this town."

"Yeah, I did promise that, didn't I?"

They soon came across a staircase. Amy and Joe went down quickly, while Julie descened the stair a bit more deliberately. At once point it almost seemed like she would lose her balance.

"You sure took your time," said Joe.

"Excuse me for breathin'," replied Julie.

"Anyway, where should we go next?"

"Anywhere but a movie theater," said Amy.

Joe and Julie just looked at her for a moment, before deciding to just take in the sights as they came. Among other things, they saw birds fighting over bread crumbs, two theologians dueling over scripture interpretation, and the Monument to Irrelevence. They came across some place called Timey-Wimey, which claimed to offer time travel services to its customers. They even happened upon a wedding reception, just as the bride caught her dress on fire. Fortunately, the fire was put out before she could suffer any life-threatening injury.

Eventually, they found themselves at a restaurant.

"I don't know about you two," said Joe, "but I'm getting hungry."

"Yeah," said Amy, "me too."

"I suppose we could have something to eat," said Julie.

They ordered their meals; Joe was having a cheeseburger, Amy got some ravioli, and Julie had chili and burritos. They all decided to try the new double-caffeine cola. After they were done, they decided to move on, but not before Julie took another of her pills.

"I keep meaning to ask," said Joe. "What are those you're taking?"

"Supplements," said Julie.

"I've never believed in that stuff," said Amy, "I feel it's better to just have a balanced diet. But whatever floats your boat."

They continued their tour. Along the way, they came across something called the Great Annual Slapfight. As implied by the name, it involved people running around slapping each other.

"What's this all about?" asked Amy.

"Do you really want to know?" replied Julie.

"No."

They moved on.

Eventually the time came for them to leave the town and get back to work.

"That was relaxing," said Amy.

"Okay, so it wasn't quite as exciting as I thought," said Joe, "but I suppose that's okay."

"Yeah," said Julie, who was looking through the List, "something's bothering me about this Herbert Highland."