Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ List of Secrets ❯ Chapter 8

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Herbert Highland was nervous as hell. An old friend of his, who worked with the government, had told him his name was on the List of Secrets, and that the Investigators would soon confront him. He wasn't sure how he would get out of this.

Just then, there was a knock on the door. Herbert went and opened it, and he saw a man who about about his age.

"Hi, is there something you need?" Said Herbert.

"I'm Joe Syphon," said the other man, "and from the look on your face, I think you already know why I'm here."

Herbert was just about to shut the door in Joe's face, but he decided to let the Investigator inside. "Don't get too comfortable, 'cause this won't take too long."

"You're not willing to cooperate, are you?" said Joe.

"What was your first clue? Seriously, isn't there some kind of law against this?"

"Please, the sooner we get this over with, the sooner I can get out of her."

"Look, I got a reputation to protect. My livelyhood depends on people thinking of me as a good person. If they found out about my kid..."

"Your what?"

Herbert slapped himself on the forehead. "Oh, dammit!" He took a moment to calm himself. "Well, I suppose I may as well give you the whole story. Take a seat. Want something to drink. I have cola, beer, lemonade."

"I'll take cola, thanks."

"I should've figured you couldn't have a beer while 'on the clock'." Herbert took a breath. "Yeah, I had a one-night stand with some woman I don't really know. At first, I never thought there would be any consequences. Then, one day, she showed up, pregnant. She was demanding child support. We soon compromised, with me writing her a 'hush money' check. I haven't seen her since."

"Is there anything else?" asked Joe.

"No, that's it," said Herbert.

"No offense, but I thought it would be harder than this."

"Yeah, well, I guess I was such a nervous wreck that I ended up sabotaging myself. And don't worry about confidentiality. Now that I think about it, it's only right that I come clean about this, so I can move forward."

"Well, since I'm not needed here any longer, I'll just go ahead and go now." Joe got up and left Herbert's house.

"Goodbye," said Herbert, "and thanks for helping me do the right thing."

Later, Joe met up with Julie and Amy.

"Really?" said Julie. "Just like that?"

"Just like that," said Joe. "He spilled like a ruptured oil tanker."

"I suppose he just didn't have it in him to keep quiet any longer," said Amy. "Also, that oil tanker comment was really tactless."

"Okay, each of us has had our turn with a secret-holder," said Julie. "Which of us should take on the next one?"