Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ List of Secrets ❯ Chapter 9

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
As it turned out, the Investigators decided the three of them would confront Ember Tyson together. Before they set out, Julie took another pill. Amy kept wanting to ask exactly what kind of supplement it was, but she got the feeling she wouldn't get a straight answer. So she let it go.

On their way to Ember's house, Joe suddenly spoke up. "After this," he said, "we'll be halfway through the List. It won't be long before we all have to go back to having real jobs."

"What a lousy attitude to have!" said Julie.

"I agree," said Amy. "Maybe this is why you've had such hard time holding down a job?"

"Oh, lay off!" said Joe. "I was just joking. Besides, you have to admit, what we usually do is much less interesting."

"The whole point of a job," said Julie, "is that it's work. Fun is to be had on your own time."

"Fair enough."

Finally, they had reach their destination. Before any of them could ring the bell, the door opened.

"Well, hello!" the man said. "I'm Ember Tyson, but I think you already know that. You're the List Investigators?"

"What?" Julie said. "You already know?"

"Yeah, I've read stories about you in various internet forums. You've only been at it a little while, and I'm already such a big fan of yours."

"You DO realize, don't you, that we're not here to be fangasmed on?"

"Yeah, I know." Ember nodded "You're here for whatever secret of mine that's on the List. But before I tell you, would you mind just visiting for a while?"

"I don't know," said Julie, "I really don't like imposing myself on strangers..."

"Hey, why not?" said Joe. "If it'll make him more comfortable."

"Okay, fine."

Julie, Joe and Amy entered Ember's home.

"Someone posted a copy of the List online," said Ember, "and I made a print of it. Since then, I've tried to guess which person is keeping which secret. I even drew lines connecting secrets to secret-holders. When this is all done, mind checking my copy to see how close I was?"

"I'll see what I can do," said Julie, "but just so you know, copying government documents without authorization is illegal."

"Oops. My bad."

"Don't feel too bad," said Joe. "I often get in trouble for not knowing the rules."

There was some small talk about the weather, recent elections, and legal troubles surrounding Timey-Wimey. Finally, they all agreed it was time to get down to business.

"Okay then," Ember said, "this is what you all came here for. Follow me to my room, and I'll show you something no one else in my town has seen."

"Just telling us isn't good enough?" said Julie.

"I figure you'd rather see this for yourself."

Finally, after going upstairs and into his room, they were about to see his secret.

"Behold!" said Ember, as he opened his closet.

"Hold on," said Joe. "Is that a fursuit?"

"Yeah, I'm the Furry."

"Would this have anything to do with why you have us stick around?" asked Amy.

"Oh yeah. I got three spare fursuits. Wanna yiff?"

"NO!" Amy, Joe and Julie shouted in unison.