Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ List of Secrets ❯ Chapter 10

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
The Investigators somehow managed to get out of Ember Tylor's house with their sanity intact.

"Jeez, what is his problem?" said Julie.

"I try not to judge," said Amy, "but in this case I agree."

Joe sighed. "Come on," he said, "I've known a few furries, and they're not all like that. He's just one of the freaks who can't keep it in perspective."

"Okay," said Julie, "let's just put that all behind us. For now, let's see who's next." She looked through the List. "Someone named Eric Bales. That doesn't seem to unusual. I bet he'll have one of the boring secrets."

"My money is on MS," said Joe.

"I doubt it."

"What makes you say that?" asked Amy.

"Well," Julie said, "it's just a feeling I've got." She got up. "If you don't mind, I'd like to handle this one solo. You two just do whatever is it you do when I'm not looking." She then left for Eric's house.

"Was it something I said?" asked Joe.

"I'm not sure," said Amy. "Something about her is bothering me."

On her way to see Eric, Julie took yet another pill. She was just glad Joe and Amy had the courtesy to mind their own business. In the end, she decided to take the bus. Within minutes she was at Eric's.

She saw him sitting on his front lawn. "Eric Bales?" she said.

"Yeah," replied Eric. "Who wants to know?"

"My name's Julie Idaho. I'm with the government. If I could have some of your time, please?"

A minute later, Julie and Eric were sitting on his front steps.

"Am I in some kind of trouble?" asked Eric.

"Only if you make this difficult for us," said Julie. "The government has a List of Secrets. There are... there are secrets, along with eight secret-holders. Your name is on the List, I'm here to find out which one of these secrets is yours."

"Isn't that a little invasive, not to mention unfair?"

"I'm only here to do the jobs assigned to me. I don't make the rules, and I don't make exceptions."

"Too bad you wasted your life on government work. You would've made a fine dominatrix." He laughed at his own joke. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm checking the mail."

"I never get the easy jobs," said Julie, as she watched Eric go to his mailbox.

When he got back, he just started going through his mail, as if she wasn't even there. Finally, he unwrapped a package, revealiing a yearbook.

"Oh yes," he said, "I finally have it back. You see, I let my classmate borrow my high school yearbook a while back, and he's just now gotten around to returning it."

Just then, Julie noticed a name on one of the pages. "Poopy?" she said, incredulously. "Poopy McFartface?" She let out a laugh. "Oh man, I really feel sorry for the poor bastard stuck with that name."

Eric suddenly got quiet.

"What's wrong?" asked Julie.

"You see," said Eric. "Poopy McFartface is..." He hesitated. "Well, it's my name."