Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ List of Secrets ❯ Chapter 11

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
"Really?" said Julie. "Sorry, I had no idea."

"That's fine," said Eric. "In fact, I often find my name funny. Which is probably the only reason I don't get it legally changed."

"So 'Eric Bales' isn't your legal name?"

"No, that's just something I use around people so I can avoid being made fun of." He pause, as if remembering. "Yeah, I got a lot of grief over my name when I was a kid."

"I don't suppose you feel like telling that story."

"Not much to tell anyway. Just the repetition of being laughed at, having my stuff stolen, and my head being put in the toilet by bullies. I'm sure you don't want to hear about that."

"If you want my opinion, it's not that big a deal. As far as I'm concerned, names are just labels, and they really don't define us."

Eric laughed. "That sounded just like a PSA."

Julie sighed. "So much for me trying to be philosophical." She got up. "Well, it seems I'm not needed her any longer. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you for your time."

"Wait a minute!" Eric said.

"What is it?" Julie asked.

"Would you mind not telling anyone my real name?"

"Don't worry. If my teammates ask, I'll just say you're using a pseudonym and leave it at that."

"Thank you."

Julie headed back to meet up with Joe and Amy. This time, she was taking the bus the whole way. Her meeting with Joe gave her some food for thought. Maybe, just maybe, she shouldn't be so eager to drag people's secrets out into the light. Still, she'd sworn to carry out her assignment, so for now she couldn't back out.

Joe and Amy greeted Julie as soon as she arrived.

"You got his secret?" asked Joe.

"Yeah, I did," said Julie.

"Mind letting us all know?"

"Eric Bales isn't his real name. That's all anyone is getting." Julie then sat down.

"Julie, you seem troubled by something," said Amy.

"It's just that I sort of made a fool of myself over there." A moment passed. "Could you or Joe deal with the next one?"

"Leave it to me!" said Joe.

"Good. Now, if you two don't mind, I'm taking a nap." Julie went to lie down for a while.