Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ List of Secrets ❯ Chapter 12

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Oliver Island wasn't expecting any visitors, but he found himself faced with someone at his door.

"Hello?" said Oliver.

"Hi," said the visitor, "I'm Joe Syphon. I'm with the government. Mind if I come in?"

"Alright then." Oliver opened the door and let Joe inside, but he couldn't shake the feeling he would regret this.

Joe decided to lessen any potention tension with some small talk. "I've been to your website," he said. "I really like your music reviews, and not just because I agree with most of them."

"Yeah," Oliver said, "I admit that I sometimes take music a little more seriously than I should. I actually went to jail once for getting into a fight with someone over which genre a song was in."

"Not that it's my business, but would you do that again if you had to?"

"Of course."

"Mind if I take a look at you CD collection?"

Oliver suddenly looked nervous. "Well, um..."

"If you don't want to, that's fine."

"Sure, I'm just a bit protective of my CDs. Yeah, that's it!"

Something about Oliver's statement rang false, but Joe couldn't quite figure it out.

"Would you like something to drink?" Oliver asked.

"Sure," said Joe. "You got a beer? I haven't had one in a while, and I just can't wait any longer."

Joe and Oliver were soon drinking their beers.

"I have something to admit," said Joe. "I'm with the List Investigators. You may of heard of the List from the Internet. Well, your name is on the List, and that's why I'm here."

"Let me guess," said Oliver, "One of those secrets is illegal music downloading. Well, you may as well cross that off your list right now."

"What? You mean-"

"Yeah, I lied to you earlier about my supposed CDs. All the music I have is on my computer. None of it paid for."

"Really?"

"I guess you're disappointed in me..."

"No, I really couldn't care less. Actually, as far as I'm concerned it's the fault of the record companies. Oh, and don't worry. I'm not telling the authorities or the copyright owners about any of this."

"Thanks. Is there anything else?"

"No." Joe got up to leave. "That's it. Thanks for your time, and goodbye."

Joe couldn't help feeling fortunate that he'd so far gotten the easy ones. He headed back to where the Investigators were staying.